Addiction Survivors

Unread 01-03-2013, 02:56 AM   #1
gotoffmdone

Default Generic Suboxone

Nancy or anyone,

Do you know if there is a generic Suboxone on the market?

The reason I ask is after what my pharmacist said tonight when I went in to get the balance of my script for the films. Just for the heck of it I had him look up the generic Subutex because somewhere I read on here that all generic Texes regardless of mfg were getting hard to get.

i told him that RB had d/c making brandname Subutex and they were going to do the same with regards to Suboxone, if they hadn't already. He told me he rarely saw scripts for pills anymore, that until I started taking the strips I was the only person he had who were getting generic Texes.

So he looked up what he could get from his wholesaler. At first he mixed up Subutex with Suboxone and told me he could not even find Suboxone listed, that his wholsaler showed Buprenorphen 8mg/2mg. I told him that was Suboxone, that the 2mg had to do with the amount of Naloxone. I told him to look and see if he could still get just plain Buprenorhen 8mgs without the 2mgs. He finally found it and told me it showed where HiTech, Roxane and TEVA had tablets available. But then he told me he doubted the TEVA brand I preferred would be available that his wholesaler showed 9 tablets. He assumed that was where some had been sent back by a pharmacy at one point. But that he could get the other brandnames with no problem.

But when he mentioned not being able to see brandname Suboxone listed and therfeore not being able to order it, that peaked my interest. He read off what his wholsaler had listed in terms of Bupe and, as I said, he mentioned Buprenorphen 8mg/2mg but not the brandname Suboxone. And what really peaked my interest was when he commented how unfamiliar he was with the company that mfg the Buprenorphen 8mg/2mg.

So he, for sure, made it sound as if he could no longer get brandname Suboxone, which I knew at some point that would be the case. Such as was the case when time was up and RB no longer had exclusive rights to mgf brandname Subutex and, thus, other pharmaceutical companies could manufacture a generic form of Subutex, I figured the same thing would happen with Suboxone. I just did not know if any drug companies would make a generic form of Suboxone.

But based on what my pharmacist found tonight when he looked up what was available when it came to Bupe, he had three options. He could order the film strips. He could order generic Subutex from 2 different makers, Roxane and HiTech, and possibly a third if Teva gets going. The third and final form of Bupe he could order, based on what he saw on his computer screen from his wholesaler, was Buprenorphen 8mg/2mg. No brandname Suboxone listed.

When he saw the manufacturer of what certainly appeared to be a generic form of Suboxone, the fact he did not recognize the manufacturer told me it was neither Roxane nor HiTech. That got me to thinking that, although the makers of generic Subutex are not up to par, just maybe the company that makes generic Suboxone, makes a product similar to the quality of Teva when it comes to Subutex.

That is why I was wondering if a generic equivilent to brandname Suboxone had actually hit the market as of now. It sure seems that way, given the talk I had with my pharmacist tonight.

If there ever was a doubt as to why a company such as RB would stop making their expensive brandname Subutex and Suboxone, the fact that generics can now be made lays that to rest.

It will be interesting to see if the drug company that was working on a Bupe strip that goes on the inside of the cheek bring it to market. if that happens, I wonder if the competetion will drive the cost of, both, their Bupe strip and RB's film strip down. That's what competetion is suppose to do, but I have my doubts.

wayne
gotoffmdone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2013, 08:02 AM   #2
NancyB
Administrator

Hi Wayne, I haven't heard of a generic -one coming out. I'll do some research today and see if I can find anything out.

Any chance you can call your pharmacist today and ask him who the manufacturer of the bupe 8/2?

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2013, 02:58 PM   #3
NancyB
Administrator

Hi again, I haven't found anything saying there's a generic Suboxone.

Here's a few interesting links though.

This is one where you can search for for approved drug products by Drug Name, Active Ingredient, or Application Number or look at a list alphabetically:
http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/script...tfda/index.cfm

This one lists the medications approved during the week:
http://www.fda.gov/Drugs/NewsEvents/ucm130961.htm

This is for approvals by the month:
http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/script...ts.ReportsMenu

I haven't found one that shows what's waiting for approval though.

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2013, 06:38 PM   #4
gotoffmdone

I'll ask him. He may have been looking at the ingredients for the strips or something. But the fact he had not heard of the mfg and it showed Bupe 8mgs/2mgs seem to distinguish it from Suboxone in the same way Buprenorphen did from Subutex.

Personally I don't think there is a generic Suboxone available and my guess is they may never will be. Drs seem intent on writing for the strips.

But I do believe since Drs are not as adverse to giving patients Suboxone as they are the non Naloxone formulation, Subutex, then any maker of generic Suboxone could do pretty well with sales. I don't think Drs would mind giving patients a generic tablet as long as it contained the Naloxone.

I know generic Texes came out while RB still made the brandname. But so far that has not been the case with Suboxone and its generic. I wonder if RBs decision to halt making Suboxone had to do with offering up the brandname only strip because it is a better product, or they knew they would be wasting time and money continuing to make the Suboxone tablets.

Since they stopped making the brandname Subutex after a generic came out, it makes one wonder why they stopped. It is the chicken or the egg syndrome. But I doubt they were making all that much on Subutex anyway since Drs were adverse to prescribe it. Plus all those surveys had to play some role related to the strips. I wonder if the strips were already on the drawing board or did they happen as a result of those paid surveys.

wayne

Last edited by gotoffmdone; 01-03-2013 at 07:03 PM..
gotoffmdone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2013, 11:02 PM   #5
manohealing

Once there is a true generic, im not sure doctors can stop us from getting it over others. That's why the Sub company has been trying so hard to stay the only pusher on the block.

Oh, and thats likely because the company that makes Suboxone is really a maker of cleaning supplies. Yes, I'm not sure how they got into this, but now they have attempted to force needy people into paying crazy prices, and then lobbied greedy politicians to help them stay the only makers. Its horrible. The more I learn the more depressing this whole thing starts to look.
manohealing is offline   Reply With Quote