Addiction Survivors

Unread 12-04-2012, 10:51 AM   #1
NancyB
Administrator

Default ***Suboxone Film $50 coupon NOW AVAILABLE - good through 12/31/2013

Hi, since there have been a lot of questions about this recently with the end of year fast approaching, I called the Suboxone contact number this morning.
http://suboxone.com/patients/contact/Default.aspx

I was told that the $50 coupon will be extended in 2013. You'll just have to print off a new coupon when it becomes available on their site.

UPDATE:

12/21/12
The new card is available - good through 6/30/2013. You can print the card off here:
http://suboxone.com/patients/about_s....aspx?cid=subx

That's good news for everyone who uses that resource.

Nancy

6.5.2013 update:

New link for card expiring 12.31.2013:
https://www.drtms.net/RKBSuboxone/PO...f-bbefcb34470c
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.

Last edited by NancyB; 12-21-2012 at 06:36 AM.. Reason: Update post because new card is now available.
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2012, 01:51 PM   #2
MicheleJ

That's great news. Thanks, Nancy. That will be very helpful.
Unread 12-04-2012, 05:45 PM   #3
gotoffmdone

Do you suppose the SubbERS will get new batches of cards to hand out to us SubbEES.

I printed out a card online but was out of color ink. Luckily the numbers I needed were in black and it could be used. But at the appt in which I was switching over to the films, I spoke to the nurse and she handed me a card that I just carry with me. The ID number on the card is unique to each of us. So I assume even though when we print out a card for 2013 our ID no's will be different

One thing that confuses me about the way this card works has to do with the different prices I've been quoted by different pharmacies. I have been going to the same pharmacy since living in this town(a mom and pop). Without the card, their cost for 15 film strips is $135. Now $50 off of that price would come to $85, but my cost with the card is $66. I assumed it would be the $85, just $50 of their shelf price. When I asked my pharmacist about it, he said those that stood behind the card had their own built in price for the films and the card and $50 off is based on that built price. He told me that they did not take into account how much a pharmacy had marked up their cost, and what they sold the strips for.

Then I called Walgreens and it appeared to be the opposite case. The tech first looked up what they sold 15 films for, then took the $50 off that amount. Their cost with the card was more than the other pharmacy's of $66. The tech did say my cost could be lower if I had some type of drug discount on file. But at Walgreens, I was not told the people behind the Suboxone film strip co-pay cards had their own built in prices from which they deducted the $50. That was just the opposite of what I had been told by the other pharmacy.

In October I got my very first film strips ever. I got 30 strips but I used my card on the 15 I had filled. My pharmacy's cost for 15 strips without the co-pay card would be $135. My cost using the card came to $66(at Walgreens it was going to be about $20 more). The second time within that same month I got the remaining 15 strips, and paid the $135. So all total that month, I paid $66 + $135 = $201 for 30 strips.

So last month, in November, I dediced to use my co-pay card on all 30 of the strips. I think it was only natural for me to assume that, if 15 strips had cost me $66 using my card, then 30 would have cost me $66 x 2 which would have been be $132, exactly twice as much. But that wasn't the case. The cost I was quoted for the 30 strips was not the $132 I had assumed, but rather $180. When it comes to figuring out certain things such as this, my math skills take a hit. I don't quite grasp the way they formulate.

But still, using the co-pay card for all 30 tabs cost me $180 whereas using the card for 15 of the strips then paying the pharmacy's cost for the other 15 cost me $135. So it was cheaper to the card and get all 30 of the strips at once($180 vs $201). Its just easier for me to come up with $66 one time and then $135 another.

Now if I can can by with 4mgs, which is what I am trying to do this month, then my monthly drug cost will be $66. Include with that $66 in drug cost each month the cost I pay for my office visit of $50, at 4mgs my total monthly treatment cost would come to $116.

That is not bad when compared to what I could be paying and what others are paying. Having that card for 2013 makes lowering my dose the key to the financial difficulties that come with being treated. The problem I am having is with my back pain. I have been taking 2mg 4 times a day. Its been a much easier to do that since going to the strips. They can can be cut into pieces and you can be almost certain as to what 2mgs looks like.

My one attempt at trying to cut into 4 pieces the baby aspirin size 8mg generic HiTech Subutex left me staring at a pile of dust. And a small pile at that. I have always had serious nose trouble. I had my first surgery at age 12. The last thing I could stand is to put a powder of sorts up my nose. Being totally honest I can say that the thought of separating the HiTech pile of dust into four sections and trying to put it up my nose entered my mind. That was when the notion of taking the strips took over. Here I was thinking of doing something with a drug used for treating addiction that never even crossed my mind with the pills I had become addicted too.

The strips are the way to go, especially if you need or want to split your daily doseage. I will probably never understand why some pharmacies take the $50 off their cost, while another pharmacy puts the card in the computer and charges me the cost spit out by the computer without taking the pharmacy's mark-up into account. Using that methodology which works out best for sure, it's still hard to grasp why, when using the co-pay card, twice as many strips do not cost twice the amount when they ignore the mark-up from the pharmacy.

I can already tell that an entire HiTech/Roxane 8mg Subutex compares extremely unfavorable with just 1/2 of an 8mg Suboxone film strip. Since my attempt at controlling my pain to any extent has failed miserably with Sub, there is no real valid reson why I should not go down to 4mgs. I cannot explain why I haven't done that a long time ago anymore than I can explain why I am still on maintenance Suboxone six and a half years after licking my dependence on maintenance Methadone. I am pretty sure it is rooted somewhere in my psychie. I know addiction has both a biological and psychological component, especially as it relates to the addiction to opioids. But this dependency I still harbour with respect to Sub only rears its biology when wds have been involved. if someone ask me why I was taking Suboxone, I swear I could not come up with an answer that would satisfy myself. Oh, well!

wayne

wayne
gotoffmdone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2012, 06:28 PM   #4
Kia25

Awesome !!!
I had just asked this question in another thread but now that it's confirmed for sure
I'm one happy patient !

Thanks Nancy !
Unread 12-05-2012, 06:35 PM   #5
gotoffmdone

Think I figured it out. Using my co-pay card, 30 strips would cost me exactly twice as much as 15, only if they ran my card through twice at the time of filling. Makes perfect sense. Duh! All is ok with my math afterall.

Anyone hear about the possibility of generic Suoxone tabs coming out. Since most Dr are adverse to switching people over the the non-naloxone formulation Subutex, generic Suboxone, if of good quality, would compete big time with the strips and just maybe lower their cost. I can't see a Dr refusing to give patients the cheaper generic Suboxone tabs. That was our only choice for years. The selling of the generics would depend on whether they were seen as just a bunch of fillers, and how good the RB drug reps were at pushing the strips. No doubt they would stress the pediatric access "problem".

Before the strips came out did anyone ever hear of the nightmarish study whereby the Suboxone or Subutex tablets were a significant problem in terms of kids(pediatrics not teenagers) getting their hands on it. If it was, RB could have put the pills in a package like the strips.

I was under the understanding that the strips were born out of those $75 surveys, and not small kids ending up in the ER overdosing on Bupe. No doubt the strips are much harder to "break into" if lying around. But not so when the packages have been opened and a partial strip is taken, then the remainder placed back in the pouch. If that is left lying around it would be much easier to get into by some kid than a child proof lid.

And if a kid were to place a part of a strip in their mouth they could not spit the horrible tasting thing out. The strips stick to the inside of the mouth like glue and taste better.

wayne
Unread 12-20-2012, 11:55 PM   #6
gotoffmdone

Nancy, do you think the card printouts for 2013 will be available in time for January's script.

wayne
Unread 12-21-2012, 06:33 AM   #7
NancyB
Administrator

Hi Wayne, I just went to their site and this copay card is good through 06/30/2013.

Here's the link for the new card:
"Offer extended $0 copay* for SUBOXONE Film."
http://suboxone.com/patients/about_s....aspx?cid=subx

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
Unread 12-23-2012, 09:25 AM   #8
littlescared

Hi Wayne,
I love what you said about the physce. I agree that after so many years on methadone it is not so easy to just take absolutely nothing. I too was on methadone a long time. I have been addicted to opiates since I was 17 and I am 42 now. I too would think if I am not high or nodding out so why can't I just taper off suboxone and ride off in the sunset. Why don't I just taper off??? I did put together 6 years totally clean so it isn't impossible but I want people to know it isn't easy. I think something deep down in my physce says I must take an opiate to be "ok". I have been in long term treatments, short term, out patient, methadone and detoxes. I have had horrible consequences from active addiction, hep C, felonies and many other horrible things. For me right now being on suboxone is the best thing. I own my home, my oldest son is in college and my other son will be going in June and my youngest is on the principals honor roll. I am not bragging just saying in active addiction this would not be happening. You can't hep with college applications and homework when you are dope sick. You don't pay property taxes & home owners insurance when using. Wow, sorry such a long post. I have a lot going on in my life now and I think I am just super sensitive lately. I just wanted to say I relate to you and you have really helped me a lot with your posts. Please don't think that what you say doesn't help anybody. It does me.
Have a great holiday and 2013!!!
littlescared is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2013, 11:35 AM   #9
Kia25

Hello,

Does anyone know if this coupon will be renewed at the end of next month ?

Thanks !
Unread 06-05-2013, 03:09 PM   #10
NancyB
Administrator

Hi Kia and everyone, they did extend the $50 coupon until December 31, 2013.

Here's a direct link to it.

https://www.drtms.net/RKBSuboxone/PO...f-bbefcb34470c

Nancy
One User Says Thank You to NancyB For This Useful Post:
Thank You (06-05-2013)
Unread 06-06-2013, 06:53 AM   #11
Kia25

Default YEA !!

Thank you for posting this Nancy !
Awesome !
I had checked the web site awhile ago, probably when I posted this, but there wasn't any update.
I guess they keep us guessing until almost the end of the month !

Thanks again Nancy !

Kia
Thank You (06-06-2013)