Addiction Survivors

Unread 05-16-2011, 04:21 PM   #1
alanw

Talking Pills or Strips? what is better?!!

I have had the pills and they seem like they take much longer to dissolve and imo they dont get absorbed as efficiently as the films. And now my doc will only write a script for the films. What do you prefer?!

Just asking your preference!

Your buddy Alan.
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2011, 04:43 PM   #2
sarah

I prefer the film, here's why
  • It is much faster to dissolve
  • It's easier to carry with me - fits in a book or wallet
  • waterproof pouch
  • although it tastes about the same since it dissolves so fast you don't have to taste it very long
  • It is easy to cut into smaller doses
  • I get $45 off each script with the discount card
  • I need a little less of it than with the tablet

Sarah
sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2011, 08:03 PM   #3
bizzby45

i actually like both....not sure which i like more...i think the strips but heres my issues:

pills were easier for me to keep in a bottle and break up really quickly now i have to get the scissors out to cut them up at work and they are hard to hold on to.

but...im tapering and they are easier to taper with because you can cut them into smaller pieces.

the taste is better with the strips. the pills tasted so much worse.

so all in all the only issue with the strips is that i have trouble taking them wuickly when im in my office at work.
bizzby45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2011, 09:33 PM   #4
Selena15

I personally like the film much better. It dissolves quickier and if I'm going to be out all day I'll cut it at home and close the pouch up and I can take it when I need to and no one knows.
Plus I find the taste is not as bad or it just dissolves quickier so I don't notice it to be as bad.
Selena15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2011, 07:40 PM   #5
Sluice7

I have been on generic Subutex since it came on the market. And Suboxone(pills) before that.
I sure would like to give the strips a try,(my Doc is stingy w/ his samples!!!).
If I'm not mistaken, the strips are Suboxone only? I had previous problems w/ Suboxone; Occasional 'tummy aches', and I found out that the citric in the orange coloring was playing heck w/ the enamel on my teeth. I wouldn't rinse after melting. I ended up losing 3 or 4 of my front lower teeth. Luckily, my missing teeth are not visible, even when I smile. My teeth were in horrible shape even before, from years of not keeping care of them. But I have my suspicions that the 'tangy', 'acidy' flavoring in the Sub had a part in helping some of my lower front teeth to fall out.
I'm patiently waiting for the generic Subutex strips to come out,,,,hahaha, huh?
It seems as though, the generic 'Tex pills are not very consistent. I have tried all kinds of different ways to take them. I've tried changing my eating habits and my supplement intake, taking more at nite or more in the AM. I can't figure it out!
I even bought one of those inversion boards, to get the blood 'stirred up' in my brain! Those inversions are nice, BTW....
I asked my Doc once about this inconsistency, and that I thought, maybe at the factory they don't stir the batch very well. He simply replied, "could be"....
Oh well, life goes on,,,,,Hi Nancy,(BTW)....
Scott....
Sluice7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2011, 09:21 PM   #6
Selena15

Hey Scott,
I've never heard of a Inversion Board. I don't mean to appear stupid but can you tell me what that is,please?

Thank You
Selena15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2011, 07:21 AM   #7
NancyB
Administrator

Hi Marie, have you ever seen the "Teeter" infommercial? That's an inversion table. Here's a link with a little video about them:
http://www.losethebackpain.com/inversionep950.html

: )

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2011, 07:32 AM   #8
NancyB
Administrator

Hi Scott! There isn't a Subutex strip nor have I heard of anyone making a generic of either yet. They're still having trouble making the generic -one pills from what I know! lol

But, I wonder if you could try this. The manufacturer has a $45 coupon for the strips.
http://suboxone.com/patients/here_to...aspx?cid=hthpx
Call around and get the best price on them and then see if your doctor will a script for $45 worth. Then you can see if you like them. A lot of people have found they get better absorption with the strips and have lowered their dose, so that might be a plus too, especially since you're getting inconsistent results with the generic. A few people are having trouble with the generic - specifically the Roxane manufacturer, and find that the TEVA manufacturer works better. Others have encountered no problems at all with either manufacturer. It could be the result of one of the fillers maybe and someone was thinking that it could be the inconsistent moisture in their mouth. Have you tried the no nicotine/caffeine for at least 30 minutes prior to taking the medication (both may constrict the blood vessels the medication is absorbed through) and then rinsing out your mouth with as warm water as you can stand (that may dilate them)?

But since it would be free, it might be worth seeing how the strips work. The only thing for the long-term is that they cost the same as the name brand Suboxone pills (are supposed to anyways).

Or we could call the generic manufacturers and ask them to stir better. lol

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
One User Says Thank You to NancyB For This Useful Post:
Thank You (06-22-2011)
Unread 06-22-2011, 01:13 PM   #9
Sluice7

Hello once again Nancy,
That is my 'Thank You'(06-22-2011) just above the post that I'm typing right now. I didn't know how to put my stamp on it, to let you know it was from me. The NAABT forum has really fancied itself up, since I used it last!
If I find the time, I will pursue the strip idea. Or keep twisting my doctor's arm for some samples.(I know he has some!). I'll remind him that I have been his 'cash cow'($100.00 p/ mo) for the last few years. He smiles just about everytime I walk thru his doors. I might also mention if he could start seeing me bi-monthly, instead of every 27-30 days.(Dream on, Scott!).
I looked on my prescription bottle this morning, and these G Subutex's, from CVS, are manufactured at Roxanne Labs. I'm going to ask them if they could make their next order from Teva Labs. I know for sure that Tevas' Clonozepams are much better than any other brand that I've tried,(save for the non generic, anyway). I also do the 30 min. nicotine/caffeine gig and the warm(hot) OJ or water too.
One of the main constants in my Sub life has always been;That the medication works really well after a good nights sleep or after taking a 'power nap'. I'm guessing that, having a well rested brain, is key. If I melt while I'm busy or just tired,,,,no effect at all. I hope this little tid-bit will help some of the newcomers.....
See ya,
Scott...
Sluice7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2011, 02:58 PM   #10
Bruceimanaddict

I've had both, and I prefer the strips. Here are my experiences:
  • The film strips are much easier for me to split. I just fold the strip in half and then tear in half at the fold. I've never had any issues. The pills will crumble and aren't always easy to break in exact halves.
  • The strips dissolve quicker and completely. Seems like there was always a little piece of the pill that would never completely dissolve. I would always have to move my tounge around a lot trying to get all of the pill dissolved.
  • I find the taste bad with both, but the pill was a much stronger "bad" taste. I also find that if I only take half a strip, the taste really isn't that bad at all.
  • I like the strips being in individual wrappers versus a bottle full of pills, espescially since I had an addiction to pills. This is one less "triggger" I have to deal with.
Good question!

Thanks,
Bruce
Thank You (06-23-2011)
Unread 06-22-2011, 04:50 PM   #11
NancyB
Administrator

Hi Scott, the thank you's just come up as a thank you with no name. But thanks and your welcome! lol

it will be interesting to see if the TEVA since you already know the clonazepam does. It's interesting because the generics are supposed to have the same amount of active ingredients, the fillers can change, which is true with the Roxane -tex. Could be making the difference.

I don't know if this will help, but this is from the TIP-40, pdf page 90:
http://www.naabt.org/links/TIP_40_PDF.pdf
"Visits on a monthly basis are considered a reasonable frequency for patients on stable buprenorphine doses who are making appropriate progress toward treatment objectives and in whom toxicology shows no evidence of illicit drugs. However, physicians should be sensitive to treatment barriers, such as geographical issues, travel distance to treatment, domestic issues such as child care and work obligations, as well as the cost of care."

Won't hurt to ask, right? : )

Nancy
One User Says Thank You to NancyB For This Useful Post:
Thank You (06-22-2011)
Unread 07-01-2011, 11:37 AM   #12
EnjoyingMyJourney

I love"d" the films. I loved everything about them. Dissolved in a split second so you didn't have to taste that familiar bitter taste of suboxone as long BUT the films caused major damage UNDERNEATH my tongue!! It took about 4-5 months for the damage to occur and before I realized it, I had what appeared to look like "thrush" under my tongue but it was actually just very delicate skin peeling off. I couldn't eat or drink without having major mouth pain! So I had no choice but to change back to the pill form. Of course I don't like the fact that they take longer to dissolve and taste terrible but they are much easier to taper down with and they work the same. It's been 3 mths now since I've begun taking the pill form again and the "thrush" was gone almost immediately! And the pain in my mouth is gone! I wish I could say the same for the pains in my butt I have going on around me! =)
EnjoyingMyJourney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2011, 12:38 PM   #13
OhioMike

I just took one of each at the same time this morning so I didn't have to suffer over trying to choose!
Unread 07-01-2011, 03:45 PM   #14
Bruceimanaddict

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioMike View Post
I just took one of each at the same time this morning so I didn't have to suffer over trying to choose!
I don't know if you are being serious, but it's funny regardless.
Unread 07-01-2011, 06:11 PM   #15
OhioMike

lol ,,,, no, not serious, just in fun!
Unread 07-01-2011, 06:35 PM   #16
vhappy

IDK if this is fact or fiction, just what my doctor told me. He said not to use subtex or any other medications from TEVA as they only meet the very minimum requiements. He said that his patients that have used teva subtex have all had to use much more to meet their regular daily dose....like I said fact or fiction IDK....I still use suboxone strips, so I myself have no idea. I believe he told me because I will be switching to subtex for the first time next month.

Happy 4th to all!

vhappy
vhappy is offline   Reply With Quote