Addiction Survivors

Unread 06-22-2010, 01:43 PM   #1
seanyboy

Default taking tramadol while on suboxone?

i am just curious because tramadol/ultram is supposedly a non-narcotic pain reliever and not an opiate/opioid, can you take tramadol/ultram and feel the effects if you took suboxone that day? or does the suboxone block the effects like true opiates? any info is appreciated, thanks...
seanyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2010, 03:06 PM   #2
seanyboy

nobody has any input...?
Unread 06-22-2010, 03:14 PM   #3
Mike

I know someone who took tramadol while om bupe and didn't feel anything. But I can't say for sure. I do know it works on the same receptor so from what I understand it should block tram.
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2010, 03:21 PM   #4
seanyboy

thanks bro, still not positive though... cant find a definitive answer anywhere online its wierd!
Unread 06-22-2010, 03:54 PM   #5
NancyB
Administrator

Hi seanyboy! I've heard the same as Mike. People haven't gotten any effect from tramadol. And we've had quite a few people here who took Suboxone for tramadol addiction.

How have you been?

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2010, 07:55 PM   #6
Jamesisdone

Nancy is Tramadol considered an opiate?
Jamesisdone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2010, 08:17 PM   #7
NancyB
Administrator

Hi Angela, it's a non-narcotic medication, but it acts on the mu receptors like an opiate.
When it was approved it was marketed as non-narcotic and non-addictive.

But, as we've seen here, people do become addicted to it and Suboxone can be used to treat it. This link has a ton of information on it:
http://www.deadiversion.usdoj.gov/dr...n/tramadol.htm

From that:
Controlled Status:
Tramadol is not currently controlled under the CSA; however, Arkansas and Kentucky have designated tramadol as a schedule IV drug under state law.

Hope that helps.

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
Unread 06-22-2010, 08:23 PM   #8
Jamesisdone

Thanks for the info because I took that after having 8 teeth pulled at once and was wondering if I had been taking an opiate but THANK goodness I didn't abuse it or have cravings for it... I live in KY so thats good to know I wont ever take that med again now that I know this info!
Unread 06-22-2010, 08:43 PM   #9
cferd

Depending on the person's body chemistry they may not receive any pain relief or euphoria from tramadol. If the person lacks a specific enzyme in their liver, the drug won't be able to be synthesised correctly. I know a friend of mine was presribed trams by his sub Dr for pain. That didn't make much sense as the suboxone blocks the effects of tramadol in patients that are able to othwerwise notice the effects of taking it. I wouldn't be surprised if Tramadol gets relassified in the near future.It's become the DOC for many, and the fact it can be purchased online is scary for those that abuse it. Having a 'legal' source for ones drug of choice will only fuel the addition IMO. Beause of the SSRI properites of the drug, the wds are pretty nasty from what I've heard. You may want to avoid taking tramadol if your serious about your recovery, it could be a big step backwards.
cferd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2010, 09:12 PM   #10
Jamesisdone

Oh I agree Cferd! I only took it after having 8 teeth pulled at once and told the oral surgeon I wanted ONLY non narcotic pain relievers so he said this medicine would help (I was no longer on Sub either but never felt a euphoria nor a craving for it and I took 50mg every 6 hours as needed for pain for 3 days) After reading what Nancy shared I'll never roll the dice, so to speak, by taking that again. I'll stick to the good ole Ibuprofen or the awesome Toridol (that med works wonders for pain as I was given that after another oral surgery I had) Because of my past pill use and my family's history of bad teeth (even with regular dental care) I believe thats why I had so many problems... Any med that gives you dry mouth can cause tooth damage and thanks to that I now have upper and lower dentures in my 20's... (I also always get accused of being a former meth addict because of my teeth... just another one of MANY stigmas and I've never even seen nor done meth or any upper I have heart problems and would be too scared to do it anyways) I've never been addicted to anything but opiates aand it occured like alot of others did by having a real medical need for it and then SURPRISE your addicted... It sure was scarey Glad to be Celebrating over one year of Sobriety
Unread 06-23-2010, 02:07 AM   #11
seanyboy

does anyone know if tramadol will show up in a courthouse drug test?
Unread 06-23-2010, 04:52 AM   #12
Jamesisdone

Just wondering if you have a script for it then It wouldn't matter if it showed up... If you don't have one I hope someone can answer this for ya cause I'm not too sure
Unread 06-23-2010, 07:14 AM   #13
NancyB
Administrator

Hi seanyboy, I don't know the answer to that, but I found this link as regards tramadol and drug tests:

http://answers.google.com/answers/th...id/760605.html

Other anecdotal findings through a search have some people saying it does show up, others saying that it didn't when they were tested.

Do you know what type of test the courthouse uses? Maybe think about buying a test at a pharmacy and test yourself at home to see if it shows up.

Nancy