Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 04-04-2010, 03:58 PM   #1
jayded

Default Weight gain with subutex anyone?

Why exactly did I gain weight while on subutex. I remember the doctor told me I would gain weight when on subutex. I looked at him like" yah whatever" since I walk 3 miles a day, I figured I was in the clear. Stupid me, I gained about 25 pounds after a few months. Has this rapid weight gain affected any of you?
jayded is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2010, 06:18 PM   #2
jeanne71

I hope not. I am totally new to suboxzone. Only on my 3rd week. I find I don't have much of an appitite, have more energy but am starting to feel bloated. I was hoping to start an excersize program to lose weight, but now I don't know. I am already very heavy and don't need more weight. I'll talk to my doctor about this
jeanne71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2010, 01:09 AM   #3
HumboldtGrown

I had weight gain when i stopped suboxone a month and a half ago, I'm moving around less and I've gained 3-4lbs since I stopped. For 3 years I was on suboxone, and stayed 105 with a flat tummy without even trying. 50 days off the stuff and I've got gas, I'm shitting more, and bloated all the time. It's the opposite of being constipated I think.

Either that or I'm eating more now that I"ve stopped? I know I'm less active for sure. suboxone gave me unlimited energy and/or motivation which now I don't have as much.

But, if you're all going from heroin (which makes you loose weight and skinny) to suboxone/subutex, probably weight gain would be a result of feeling more normal (being hungry, not sick all the time)
HumboldtGrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2010, 10:11 AM   #4
toms

My weight is usually steady no matter what I do When I went on methadone; I gained 40-50 lbs (though at 6'4" and 165lb; no biggie) Later; when I went to suboxone; I lost around half of that

Doctors and counselors will try to say that "addicts don't eat right" which may v=be true in some cases It wasn't in mine; so I know it is possible to generate a big gain on ORT!
Unread 05-25-2010, 01:15 PM   #5
GettingThere

I lost weight on Suboxone over time...probably because I wasn't eating pills like M&M's and my liver was finally not having to process them. I was more bloated when I was eating pills everyday. It could be a temporary thing. I have read people complain about weight gain but it could be the diet we tend to go to after we give up the pills and tend to try to comfort ourselves with unhealthy choices of food. Just keep doing what you're doing with walking and hopefully this is just an adjustment period. Just remember this.....You're getting healthier every day that you are not using!!
GettingThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2010, 12:38 AM   #6
JamesContin

I have gained 30 pounds while on sub, eating the same and exercising the same. Its also rendered me hypothyroid and lowered my testosterone levels to next to nothing.

Other wonderful things this drug has brought to me are a condition called gynecomastia (man boobs), loss of all employment because I now have to sleep all day, and suicidal depression.

NONE of these conditions were present the day I started sub 4.5 years ago and all started a couple years into sub dependence. I am currently desperate to get off but I cannot get below 8mg. I've gotten off of enormous dosages of nearly every opiate in the book but this one is in a class by itself.

Looks wise, I have aged 10 years in the past 2 years of being on sub. It was about 2 or 3 years ago that sub started slowly turning on me. Today it is ripping me and my family apart.
JamesContin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2010, 10:53 AM   #7
Leviticus 13 4

I think Suboxone is responsible for the oil spill too.
Lev
Leviticus 13 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
5 Users Say Thank You to Leviticus 13 4 For This Useful Post:
Thank You (05-28-2010), Thank You (03-11-2011), Thank You (05-28-2010), Thank You (05-28-2010), Thank You (05-28-2010)
Unread 05-28-2010, 11:14 AM   #8
Mike

James , if sub is so terrible switch to another opioid and get off that. (since that's how you think it works) You could switch to Vicodin or methadone today, its an easy switch.

Ya know I don't hear cancer patients saying that chemotherapy ruined their life even though the side effects are terrible, no they are grateful it saved their life. Maybe you should look at it as the sub stopped cravings and withdrawal and maybe saved your life. You must not read any of the educational posts on this site, otherwise you'd know that the withdrawal comes from your brain not the drug, so if you are having a hard time tapering off it means your brain is still corrupt.

You didn't use the time without cravings and withdrawal to make positive changes in your life, you just took the pills and misused them from time to time (according to your own posts) I could have predicted you would have a hard time coming off, because you didn't fix the things in your life that are causing them.

I gained weight while on sub too, but unlike you I completely changed my life while on sub and constructively eliminated stressful things in my life and reasons to be depressed. This was a lot of work, but it allowed me to taper off without any severe withdrawal. Once I was off my sex drive returned, I was able to lose the weight, and the constipation vanished. You have to do the work while on sub, you have to make changes, and change yourself from an addict to a normal person again, otherwise you will fight this until the day you die.

This site has more success stories than all other sub sites on the web combined, don't you think there's something to it?

Stop blaming the sub and start doing what you need to, to get to a happy life. It's not too late. Look at the phases of treatment, you're on phase 2 http://www.addictionsurvivors.org/vb...ad.php?t=23809
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to Mike For This Useful Post:
Thank You (06-07-2010)
Unread 05-28-2010, 05:10 PM   #9
JamesContin

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
James , if sub is so terrible switch to another opioid and get off that. (since that's how you think it works) You could switch to Vicodin or methadone today, its an easy switch.

Ya know I don't hear cancer patients saying that chemotherapy ruined their life even though the side effects are terrible, no they are grateful it saved their life. Maybe you should look at it as the sub stopped cravings and withdrawal and maybe saved your life. You must not read any of the educational posts on this site, otherwise you'd know that the withdrawal comes from your brain not the drug, so if you are having a hard time tapering off it means your brain is still corrupt.
This post is just loaded with misinformation. A long term user of large doses of buprenorphine or methadone can't easily switch to a short acting opiate like vicodin or oxycontin or fentanyl or any other short half-life opiate. You will be fine the first couple hours after dosage and then go through withdrawals until the next dose. Every day, many times a day. That is torture Mike.

I could switch to methadone because it is a long half life opioid like subutex, but what is the point? I would be on another horrible opioid and going through the same things.

The thing is Mike, I don't have cancer thank the Lord, my heart goes out to those that do. And every day I count my blessings so graciously given to me by my Lord Jesus Christ.

I was given a lot of misinformation by a doctor who had a new drug on his hands, and trusted studies done by the drug company itself. No, I don't believe that the doctor actually believed those studies, because those studies told him the opposite of what he was taught in medical school. An addictive drug does not heal addiction. An opioid does not heal opiate dependence or opiate/opioid addiction.

To tell me that Subutex would heal my brain is a flat out lie coming from a doctor who knows better. IT IS AN OPIOID, ITS NEVER GOING TO HEAL ANYBODY'S BRAIN. SINCE IT IS A LONG HALF-LIFE OPIOID, YOU ARE GOING TO BE UNDER THE INFLUENCE OF THE OPIOID 24 HOURS A DAY 7 DAYS A WEEK 365 DAYS A YEAR IF YOU TAKE IT DAILY. When does your brain have a chance to heal? The thing is when he told me that I said to myself what the hell is he thinking? Isn't this a synthetic opioid that attaches to opiate receptors? But I was desperate, and got myself into a far worse situation. Your brain heals when you are ABSTINENT from all opiates or opioids.

Mike does methadone heal brains too? Of course it doesn't! The longer you are on it the more screwed you are. Same with subutex.

Now it is known that you should not take sub longer than 3 weeks and it needs to be used as a tool to get off of your opiate drug of choice. Sub is not a drug suitable for maintenance.

Don't worry, in 5-10 years you will have all this info I am giving you in formal research form, available on PubMed. There are doctors finally admitting it now but the drug is no better than methadone, and they both CAUSE depression, endocrine problems, and who knows what else.

Call a detox unit who test male patients thyroid and testosterone levels, and ask them what the results usually are for long term subutex users.

To those that made fun of my situation, I wish you all the best life can offer.

P.S. Mike, phase 2? I have no underlying conditions? I have been on this drug for 4.5 YEARS. Those phases are based on the false assumption that the drug does not cause any physical or mental damage to the human body. Its time to scrap the phases, they apply to nobody still on an opiate or opioid.

I will pray for you all tonight.

Last edited by JamesContin; 05-28-2010 at 05:20 PM..
Unread 05-28-2010, 06:14 PM   #10
Mary

Dude, we've been through this shit with you before. Sub doesn't heal anyone's brain. All it's supposed to do it stop the cravings and WDs so you can do what you have to do to fix crap that was messed up in active addiction. Have YOU done any of that? Why were you on 16mg for so long? Why can't you get under 8? Have you figured out that you feel like shit because you're on too high of a dose and yeah, you were addicted to sub because you used to try to get high like you said before in here.
http://www.addictionsurvivors.org/vb...ad.php?t=22525
Uh, snorting sub isn't how you take it. You decided to take it, and instead of working on yourself you decided to try to get ****ed up with it.

Did you ever go to therapy? Did you ever try to figure out why you were snorting sub? Yeah, keep blaming it on the doctors. Comes a point in time you gotta take personal responsibility and do something for yourself instead blaming it on your doctor. What did you lie so he'd give you a bigger dose?

Look this stuff's been around for like 30 years. There are people who use it right and people like you who use it wrong and then blame everything wrong in their lives on it. Why don't you get some therapy, get some exercise, lower your damn dose. Better yet. Just jump off of it now. Why not? You hate it so much, it's ruining your life. Get off of it now, go through the WDs. We've all gone through WDs. I kicked H more times than I can remember. Went through the WDs. No big deal, so you feel like you wanna die for a few days. Then after that, you're good, right??

I think you ought to pray for yourself and everyone around you for putting up with your sorry ass.

Do something and stop complaining. The sub didn't get you addicted. You refused to try to stop your addiction. Don't tell ME it can't be done. 20 years of H and 1 year of sub and I'm good. Still good after tapering off 4 years ago.

Good luck to you. Seriously. You're gonna need it. -Mary
Thank You (06-07-2010), Thank You (11-03-2010), Thank You (05-29-2010), Thank You (05-30-2010)
Unread 05-28-2010, 06:39 PM   #11
Sub-Zero

James I was on it for 7 years, I tapered off and I'm fine. Please get off of it and stop taking up someones space who wants the help. For whatever reason its not for you, so move on.

I think the problem is your mind is closed to learning about addiction and bupe, and the poor understanding you have of it is causing you to continually make poor decisions about your treatment.

This quote is from:The Neurobiology of Opioid Dependence: Implications for Treatment

"Opioid tolerance, dependence, and addiction are all manifestations of brain changes resulting from chronic opioid abuse. The opioid abuser’s struggle for recovery is in great part a struggle to overcome the effects of these changes. Medications such as methadone, LAAM, buprenorphine, and naltrexone act on the same brain structures and processes as addictive opioids, but with protective or normalizing effects." - http://archives.drugabuse.gov/PDF/Pe...s-Neurobio.pdf

Here's something else that shows short term treatments are INFERIOR to longer treatments (another scientific study, not opinion) http://www.nida.nih.gov/NIDA_notes/NNvol23N1/Young.html

Here's another one- bupe detox vs 1 year (20% of the detox group died)
http://www.thelancet.com/journals/la...600-1/abstract

The sad part is if you just opened your mind and stopped stubbornly defending your "theories" you could have avoided the suffering you've been through and what you are about to go through. The science isn't wrong, and until to stop trying to prove that it is and accept that maybe you just don't understand it, you'll just suffer and wonder why people like me get through without much of a problem. You're doing it to yourself by not understanding your disease or what the treatment does. God bless.
Sub
Sub-Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
4 Users Say Thank You to Sub-Zero For This Useful Post:
Thank You (06-07-2010), Thank You (03-11-2011), Thank You (05-29-2010), Thank You (05-30-2010)
Unread 05-28-2010, 07:43 PM   #12
OhioMike

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesContin View Post
I have gained 30 pounds while on sub, eating the same and exercising the same. Its also rendered me hypothyroid and lowered my testosterone levels to next to nothing.

And I lost 30 pounds during my first 18 months in recovery, so what is the point?

I'm not going to comment more, as Mary and Sub Z, nailed it in their responses!

Mike
Thank You (06-07-2010), Thank You (05-29-2010)
Unread 05-29-2010, 11:26 AM   #13
Mike

Default Last Post to James

Quote:
This post is just loaded with misinformation. A long term user of large doses of buprenorphine or methadone can't easily switch to a short acting opiate like vicodin or oxycontin or fentanyl or any other short half-life opiate. You will be fine the first couple hours after dosage and then go through withdrawals until the next dose. Every day, many times a day. That is torture Mike.
Well I was assuming you would take it as directed, which is every 4-6 hours not once a day, like with long acting opioids. I agree, if you take it wrong you will have withdrawal. If you take it right you could switch right now. The bupe would block it until it wore off, but as the bupe wore off the full agonist would click in and in a few days you would have made the transition, but yes you have to take it correctly (same with bupe)

Quote:
The thing is Mike, I don't have cancer
You misunderstand, I didn’t think you had cancer, I was making a point about attitude. You ignore that sub has prevented a fatal overdose for the last few years and think that the side effects are worse than if you took nothing. If you could of just took nothing and not fallen back into addiction, why didn’t you? Its more likely the bupe saved your life despite your misuse of it and failure to implement a meaningful recovery plan along with your treatment.

Quote:
….. An addictive drug does not heal addiction….
No shit. If you read anything on this site you’d know it’s what you do while taking the bupe that heals the brain. We warn people about making the mistakes you made and relying on the medication to do everything because that just pauses the addiction like it did with you. You’re negative attitude and know-it-all disposition is ensuring your current and future suffering, remember, I tapered off and am living addiction-free now, and not fighting cravings everyday, am happy, and have put addiction behind me. That was years of bundle/day H. Why was my response so different from yours? It’s because of what you’ve dismissed as misinformation. Smarten up and open up and your life could be better too.

Quote:
….. Your brain heals when you are ABSTINENT from all opiates or opioids. ….
That’s true, but its not the only way it can heal. What heals the brain is repeated non-addictive behaviors, because that is what rewires the brain. You can do this with or without cravings and withdrawal. Do you really think it will be easier to fix all of things in your life that need fixing while fighting cravings , withdrawal and depression? Of course not! You fix these things while on sub, if you can’t do it alone you get a counselor to help, this is what heals your brain, why is this so hard to understand?

Quote:
….. Now it is known that you should not take sub longer than 3 weeks and it needs to be used as a tool to get off of your opiate drug of choice. ….
this is made up bullshit, show me one study that shows this. Sub-zero linked to 2 that say the OPPOSITE! You’ve offered NONE.

Quote:
….. Call a detox unit who test male patients thyroid and testosterone levels….
Lower testosterone is a known side effect. Although, it wasn’t substantial for me people with already inadequate levels need to watch it, especially if they plan on staying on a high dose longterm. Most people on longterm are on low doses because as they change their life and their brains heal, they don’t need as much sub. Of course those that don’t do anything or abuse the medication (as you said you did) stay at high doses and don’t experience the brain healing.

Quote:
….. P.S. Mike, phase 2? I have no underlying conditions? I have been on this drug for 4.5 YEARS. Those phases are based on the false assumption that the drug does not cause any physical or mental damage to the human body. ….
You said you had depression. That’s one of things you get treated in phase two. By doing nothing for those 4-5 years (none of the phases) your brain didn’t heal, so you should not be able to taper off without pain because the withdrawal causing brain adaptations are still there. While I actively made positive changes, worked with a counselor, fixed things in my life that were causing me stress, depression, and anxiety and after 3 years I tapered off comfortably and am doing well 4 years later.

By blaming the sub for all of your problems and making up facts about bupe you are convincing yourself that the only treatment that might actually be your key to a happy life isn’t for you. By second guessing the scientists you are reinforcing drug-addict ways and sealing your fate.

If you walk away with only one thing from this post make it this. IT’S NOT THE SUB THAT HEALS YOUR BRAIN, IT JUST SUPPRESSES WITHDRAWAL AND CRAVINGS SO YOU CAN CHANGE YOUR LIFE. IT IS THESE CHANGES THAT REWIRE THE BRAIN FROM AN ADDICTED BRAIN TO A NON-ADDICTED BRAIN. THESE CHANGES TAKE TIME AND DON’T HAPPEN BY THEMSELVES.

Last edited by Mike; 05-29-2010 at 11:31 AM..
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
7 Users Say Thank You to Mike For This Useful Post:
Thank You (05-31-2010), Thank You (05-29-2010), Thank You (03-11-2011), Thank You (05-30-2010), Thank You (05-29-2010), Thank You (05-30-2010), Thank You (05-30-2010)
Unread 05-30-2010, 01:45 AM   #14
OhioMike

Well worth repeating ..........

Very nicely said Mike and spot on!

James, I don't know what to share with you, which hasn't already been shared. Some people with the most experience here has offered you good suggestions. It's up to you and only you how your recovery will be and end up. Not Suboxone and not anyone else. Only you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
Well I was assuming you would take it as directed, which is every 4-6 hours not once a day, like with long acting opioids. I agree, if you take it wrong you will have withdrawal. If you take it right you could switch right now. The bupe would block it until it wore off, but as the bupe wore off the full agonist would click in and in a few days you would have made the transition, but yes you have to take it correctly (same with bupe)

You misunderstand, I didn’t think you had cancer, I was making a point about attitude. You ignore that sub has prevented a fatal overdose for the last few years and think that the side effects are worse than if you took nothing. If you could of just took nothing and not fallen back into addiction, why didn’t you? Its more likely the bupe saved your life despite your misuse of it and failure to implement a meaningful recovery plan along with your treatment.

No shit. If you read anything on this site you’d know it’s what you do while taking the bupe that heals the brain. We warn people about making the mistakes you made and relying on the medication to do everything because that just pauses the addiction like it did with you. You’re negative attitude and know-it-all disposition is ensuring your current and future suffering, remember, I tapered off and am living addiction-free now, and not fighting cravings everyday, am happy, and have put addiction behind me. That was years of bundle/day H. Why was my response so different from yours? It’s because of what you’ve dismissed as misinformation. Smarten up and open up and your life could be better too.

That’s true, but its not the only way it can heal. What heals the brain is repeated non-addictive behaviors, because that is what rewires the brain. You can do this with or without cravings and withdrawal. Do you really think it will be easier to fix all of things in your life that need fixing while fighting cravings , withdrawal and depression? Of course not! You fix these things while on sub, if you can’t do it alone you get a counselor to help, this is what heals your brain, why is this so hard to understand?

this is made up bullshit, show me one study that shows this. Sub-zero linked to 2 that say the OPPOSITE! You’ve offered NONE.

Lower testosterone is a known side effect. Although, it wasn’t substantial for me people with already inadequate levels need to watch it, especially if they plan on staying on a high dose longterm. Most people on longterm are on low doses because as they change their life and their brains heal, they don’t need as much sub. Of course those that don’t do anything or abuse the medication (as you said you did) stay at high doses and don’t experience the brain healing.

You said you had depression. That’s one of things you get treated in phase two. By doing nothing for those 4-5 years (none of the phases) your brain didn’t heal, so you should not be able to taper off without pain because the withdrawal causing brain adaptations are still there. While I actively made positive changes, worked with a counselor, fixed things in my life that were causing me stress, depression, and anxiety and after 3 years I tapered off comfortably and am doing well 4 years later.

By blaming the sub for all of your problems and making up facts about bupe you are convincing yourself that the only treatment that might actually be your key to a happy life isn’t for you. By second guessing the scientists you are reinforcing drug-addict ways and sealing your fate.

If you walk away with only one thing from this post make it this. IT’S NOT THE SUB THAT HEALS YOUR BRAIN, IT JUST SUPPRESSES WITHDRAWAL AND CRAVINGS SO YOU CAN CHANGE YOUR LIFE. IT IS THESE CHANGES THAT REWIRE THE BRAIN FROM AN ADDICTED BRAIN TO A NON-ADDICTED BRAIN. THESE CHANGES TAKE TIME AND DON’T HAPPEN BY THEMSELVES.
Unread 11-02-2010, 10:24 PM   #15
riddla420

Quote:

Other wonderful things this drug has brought to me are a condition called gynecomastia (man boobs), loss of all employment because I now have to sleep all day, and suicidal depression.

NONE of these conditions were present the day I started sub 4.5 years ago and all started a couple years into sub dependence. I am currently desperate to get off but I cannot get below 8mg. I've gotten off of enormous dosages of nearly every opiate in the book but this one is in a class by itself.

Looks wise, I have aged 10 years in the past 2 years of being on sub. It was about 2 or 3 years ago that sub started slowly turning on me. Today it is ripping me and my family apart.
I am in the exact same condition as you. In 2007 ,I weighed 180 lbs. Now I am 250lbs, and I am on about 16-24 Mg. Subutex a day. I got the man-boobs too. I look 10 years older than I did .What a total nightmare.I was better off on Oxy's ,I think. This is Horrible. I have absolutely zero libido.I used to be a total perv. Now I am a Monk- like being. I am married w/ 3 kids ,and I never leave the house ,except to shop ,and pick up my kids. I ditched all my Doper friends ,but they are all thinner on Real dope.This sucks ass. It got worse when they switched me from Suboxone to subutex ,cause now I just snort it like Oxy's I am in total solitude and depressed .
riddla420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2010, 11:07 PM   #16
willard47

Cheez, I really need to hear reasonable and hopefully reliable information on this and any other forum . As soon as someone brings up religion or any other non-scientific info, I skip to the next quote. It would be nice if everyone could keep their personal beliefs to themselves.

Last edited by willard47; 11-02-2010 at 11:19 PM..
willard47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2010, 11:23 PM   #17
riddla420

I did not mean to sound religious.I just meant that with my non -existant libido ,I could as well be a monk.I was actually starting to ween down to lees than 8 mg a day ,but then I went on a family vacation ,and I got anxious ,and started taking 2 a day while on vacation ,and I have been back on the heavier dose for 1 month. I want to be done with this once and for all.I am going to taper back to 1 1/2 for a couple of days ,and then back to 1 for a week ,and then 3/4 .I cannot bear to live like this anymore.
Unread 11-02-2010, 11:31 PM   #18
riddla420

I realize I am being foolish to be snorting my subutex.The whole fungus thing just freaked me out. I want to go back to sublingual ,but will I have to use more or less? I just now absolutely want my life back ,and to lose this weight and be free of all opiates forever.
Unread 11-03-2010, 01:30 AM   #19
willard47

Ridla420, sorry that brief quote about religion was in regard to another quote from someone else. I got the monk thing,it's cool.
willard47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2010, 06:21 AM   #20
riddla420

Thanx will. I am really in a bad place. Although I have not relapsed with Oxycontin for 3 years,I seem to be caught up in my own Subutex nightmare. And my doc has mentioned that I may have to stay on subs indefinitely. I cannot take the pain ,and weight gain ,and aging it has caused me.Plus I feel like crap most of the time.
Unread 11-03-2010, 07:12 AM   #21
NancyB
Administrator

Hi riddla420, welcome. Are you in any type of counseling? Taking Suboxone alone is not treatment. Snorting Subutex is continuation of addictive behavior. The medication is ONLY to stop cravings and withdrawals at the right dose so that the patient can do the work necessary for an addiction-free way of life.

You need to stop snorting the medication. Then you need to be on a stable dose every day. Fluctuating your dose 16 to 24 mg is not helping at all. That leads to feelings of malaise, sometimes depression for people and overall not feeling right.

You mention that you got anxious and increased your dose. Maybe you should look to be treated for anxiety? It looks like you're self medicating with the bupe for that purpose.

Are you doing any exercise at all? That will help you physically and emotionally - getting endorphins going.

I'm sorry you're in such a bad place. Are you ready to stop misusing the -tex and get on the right track? If you don't think you can stop snorting the medication, maybe you should look into the Suboxone film strips - which you put on the bottom of your tongue and dissolve quite quickly.

It's not the medication that has caused your weight gain, aging and feeling like crap. It's the way you are misusing it.

Please, for the sake of your health and your family, stop snorting the medication, and get the help you need.

You made a great start by coming here and talking about it. We'll help you all we can, ok?

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2010, 09:46 AM   #22
MissSurvivor

I don't think I've gained weight on Suboxone but I feel like my weight is at a dead-halt. I was working out a lot and I couldn't lose weight!!! Of course my diet could've been a little better but it was discouraging.

Dude, stop snorting the -tex. Nancy gave you good info and advice please take it.
Unread 11-03-2010, 10:05 AM   #23
MaJaBe

I have stayed at the same weight, even lost a little.

I'm not commenting on the rest of it, not worth my typing skills.

Best,
J
MaJaBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2010, 01:13 PM   #24
DARKEYES

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaJaBe View Post
I have stayed at the same weight, even lost a little.

I'm not commenting on the rest of it, not worth my typing skills.

Best,
J
I lost weight, and my friend told me she found it
Unread 11-27-2010, 09:27 AM   #25
rickydom

Taking Suboxone alone is not treatment. Snorting Subutex is continuation of addictive behavior. You need to stop snorting the medication. Then you need to be on a stable dose every day. Fluctuating your dose 16 to 24 mg is not helping at all. Lower testosterone is a known side effect. Although, it wasn’t substantial for me people with already inadequate levels need to watch it.
rickydom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2010, 03:26 PM   #26
aprilflower123

Default would rather be on subutex

Quote:
Originally Posted by riddla420 View Post
I am in the exact same condition as you. In 2007 ,I weighed 180 lbs. Now I am 250lbs, and I am on about 16-24 Mg. Subutex a day. I got the man-boobs too. I look 10 years older than I did .What a total nightmare.I was better off on Oxy's ,I think. This is Horrible. I have absolutely zero libido.I used to be a total perv. Now I am a Monk- like being. I am married w/ 3 kids ,and I never leave the house ,except to shop ,and pick up my kids. I ditched all my Doper friends ,but they are all thinner on Real dope.This sucks ass. It got worse when they switched me from Suboxone to subutex ,cause now I just snort it like Oxy's I am in total solitude and depressed .
see everyone is different arent they....my doctor switched me to subutex from suboxone, because the suboxone was making me feel like shit....i dont "snort" my medication and wished i could take the suboxone film instead of the pills, but the problem im having now is that my doctor switched me back on the suboxone film, because he said he had to put EVERYONE on suboxone and off of subutex...the subutex help me to live a more normal life, even though all my drug screens have been clean, and i dont want to use on the subutex, he knows that 6mts ago the sideeffects from the suboxone was gonna cause me to start using again...headaches, feeling like im running a fever, edgy, depressed-sleeping/nodding, no energy, feeling like crap basically...my doctor acted as if i was lying or something, he said"theres not enuff of naloxone in the suboxone that should be causing those side effects" that made me so mad, he doesnt feel what i feel, he has no clue...and they act like they want to help you up there, its all a big money racket if u ask me, also I told him i dont have insurance and the price difference of the 2 is suboxone film $144.00 for 21(1weeks supply) and the subutex $57.75 for 21(1weeks supply) I just simply cant afford that, my doctor said "we are not concerned about cost here" but by hell I am, does he want to pay it for me??? I dont think so...so Im looking to change doctors, but dont know of any in kentucky right now that still writes the subutex, if anyone does know, or surrounding state of kentucky...could you please let me know.....I would greatly appreciate it..thanks, kentucky gal!
aprilflower123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2010, 08:21 AM   #27
JamesContin

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickydom View Post
Taking Suboxone alone is not treatment. Snorting Subutex is continuation of addictive behavior. You need to stop snorting the medication. Then you need to be on a stable dose every day. Fluctuating your dose 16 to 24 mg is not helping at all. Lower testosterone is a known side effect. Although, it wasn’t substantial for me people with already inadequate levels need to watch it.
Have you read my story? I was on 16mg per day for like 3 years. I did not fluctuate my dose. The drug totally turned on me causing severe depression and exhaustion, among other horrible things. That led me to snort it to alleviate those symptoms. When I started snorting it I wanted more and more.

THEN I QUIT SNORTING IT ABOUT A YEAR AGO. HAVE NOT SNORTED IT ONCE SINCE. I started tapering. I hit a wall that I cannot break through.

Everyone wants to focus on my snorting when in reality it represents a small percentage of the time I have been on bup. And I quit. I'm done snorting it so there is no need to talk about that anymore. I didn't fluctuate my dose for about a year until lately I have been going from 8 to 10 every now and then out of desperation.

And I know about opiate withdrawal I have done it many time cold turkey from gobs of short acting opiates per day. Suffer for 2 weeks and its over. Its nothing like this hell of a drug that gives me these terrible symptoms that are here to stay.

Then I hear if I am lucky enough to put myself through enough hell to get off the drug, I am facing about 1.5 to 2 years of PAWS. That's just great, let me tell you it really feels nice to be on this life saving drug.
Unread 12-15-2010, 09:20 AM   #28
Mary

Oh jesus. It's the grim reaper back spreading the joy.

Again:

http://addictionsurvivors.org/vbulle...2&postcount=11

Do yourself a favor and just get over yourself and your whining and get the hell off of it. I can't believe you'd rather OD than 'be stuck' on sub. You're not stuck. You CHOOSE not to do anything about it except moan and bitch and complain. For years. Whatever.

Or.... "I have done it many time cold turkey from gobs of short acting opiates per day. Suffer for 2 weeks and its over."
Why don't you switch to short-acting opiates that you've cold turkeyed from MANY TIMES. duh. Problem solved.
Thank You (02-05-2011), Thank You (12-16-2010), Thank You (12-15-2010)
Unread 03-11-2011, 09:03 AM   #29
EnjoyingMyJourney

Why has James been allowed to continue posting? He's not here for the same reasons we are and his continuing post of negativity are not what this site is intended to be used for.
EnjoyingMyJourney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2011, 09:57 PM   #30
riddla420

Thanx Mary , Sorry ,I just checked back on this forum since I first posted. I am absolutely ready to cut the cord on this.I know it is absolutely my own fault ,and I blame no one but myself. I am definitely scared though ,as I spoke to an old friend around New year ,and he told me he had just tapered off and was completely off Suboxone for 2 months ,and that he was still like a dead fish. The problem for me is I have to take care of 3 kids ,so I cannot be bed-ridden for months ,like I was when I first tried Cold Turkey off Oxy's 4 years ago. Also , I get 120 Subutex at a time every 2 Months and it cost me $10 . (My Family has good Ins.) But I am always depressed ,and feel terrible .I am going to have to give them to my wife to ween me ,because she is like a Cop ,and has total will power and is straight ,and never used drugs in her life. I used to think this was a Miracle drug ,but it has not really let me walk on water. The only positive ,is that I have not relapsed back to Oxy's for about 3 years .People ,out there ,be very careful ,this is a very powerful ,and addictive medication.
Unread 03-29-2011, 06:56 AM   #31
NancyB
Administrator

Hi riddla420, have you stopped snorting the medication and are now taking it sublingually? What dose are you on now? Have you gone to therapy or done more than just take the medication? Suboxone will only stop cravings and withdrawals. It is not a miracle drug and it will definitely not let you "walk on water". If utilized as part of a whole treatment plan, it will allow you to work on things so you can eventually live both addiction-free and medication free.

Most people do not become addicted to Suboxone. But if someone continues to use the medication as they did their former drug of choice, then, yes, they can become addicted to it. Because addiction is 'the uncontrollable, compulsive behavior despite negative consequences". This link explains it more:
http://www.naabt.org/faq_answers.cfm?ID=1

You might want take a look at this thread of taper stories to see how others have done it successfully and work out a plan.
http://www.addictionsurvivors.org/vb...ad.php?t=16678

But, if you do nothing except for take the medication and don't address your depression, anxiety, or your behaviors - such as the snorting of the medication - chances are you won't have a very smooth taper.

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2011, 04:56 PM   #32
Jack123

Hey riddla420,

Your post grabbed my attention because you said you're on Subutex. Is that right, you're on Subutex and not Suboxone? It also grabbed my attention because you said you're depressed and feel like crap. I was on Name Brand Subutex for 5 years. I took between 4 - 8 mg a day with the usual dose being 5 mg. What I am wondering about with you, is are you taking generic Subutex, or the Name Brand? If it's a generic, which ones? Are they white round pills, or are they white oval, or oblong pills? The white round ones are made by Roxane, and I am also having problems with them. I do have a diagnosed problem with depression and anxiety. But while I was on the Name Brand Subutex, the depression was much better. I'm so chronically depressed that I don't even get dressed unless I have to go out. However, I live alone, with no real family, so that contributes to both being depressed and not wanting to get dressed. But this is not good, and I know it. Still, depression is a hard thing to fight when one is alone. So if you take the white round Subutex, I can understand why you feel so depressed. These Roxane generics don't seem to have the nice side effects the Name Brand has. And it's hard to complain about this to the pharmacy or docs, because the antidepressant effects of Subutex are a side effect of Buprenorphine. I was off Subutex for 1.5 years and today is day 13 back on it. I really am not satisfied with the way these Roxane Generics work. The pharmacy had given me 1 tab of a brand called Qualitest, and it was just 1, but it seemed to have the same nice side effects the Name Brand has. It even looks like the Name Brand, and I thought it was, until I looked up the logo on the Internet. I should be getting my new script tomorrow, and I'm going to ask the pharmacy for the Qualitest brand. But I already was told they may not be able to get them. I'm telling you all this because you're not feeling less depressed on Subutex, and IMO you should. I should too. I also noticed something you seem to be experiencing. It seems you want more and more Subutex, because you need your wife to hold them. Subutex should not cause that. I'm also experiencing this. I am allowed up to 16 mg a day. But neither me, nor the doc, thought I would need that much. Usually with Sub, less feels better than more. I took it for 5 years, I think I should know. I never used to feel like I needed more and more. Buprenorphine is just not supposed to cause that to happen. That's 1 of the advantages of using Buprenorphine, whether it be for detox, maintenance, or pain. It's not supposed to cause cravings. It doesn't create a tolerance, and it didn't for years. It should also lift your mood, help fight depression, and give you some energy, as well as help with motivation. You don't seem to be experiencing this, and neither am I. This has me deeply concerned. I hope you respond. I want to know which brand you are on, and if you don't know, just describe the pill. From what I have been able to find out, only Roxane makes it round. All the other companies, as well as the Name Brand, make it oval or oblong.

Thanks.
Jack123 is offline   Reply With Quote