Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 12-19-2009, 12:56 AM   #1
angipooh

Wink Purchased Generic Subutex!!

Hello to All...
I have not posted anything in a long time, but I do get some great information from this site. I just wanted to let everyone that might be looking to get the generic form of Subutex that I found a Walgreen's just outside of Atlanta, GA that had 30 on hand and would get me the rest of my script by this Monday. I purchased 30 of the Buprenorphine HCL 8 mgs for $122.96 cash price. That comes to around $4.10 a pill. My insurance would not pay anything!!! This is the first time that I will be taking the Subutex, my Dr let me switch because of the cost of the Suboxone. I will post how it taste, feels, etc. for everyone.

Thanks to all that post and encourages us all!!! This forum has been so helpful to me!!
Angipooh
angipooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2009, 05:55 AM   #2
NancyB
Administrator

Hi angipooh, that's great that your doctor let you switch. That would be great if you could let us know if you notice a difference between that and the Suboxone.

Look forward to hearing from you!

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2009, 10:36 PM   #3
angipooh

Hi! Other then the taste which is way worse then the Suboxone, I haven't felt any difference (yet). I've only been taking them since Friday, Dec 18. The pills are white round and have 54 411 on one side of the pill. They are pretty easy to break into if needed. When I picked up 30 of the 90 that I was prescribed the pharmacy just put my label over the manufacture one and gave me the bottle that the came in. They told me the rest would be in on Monday (today) but I haven't checked with them yet.

So far so good with me. I'll post later on when I've been on them for at least a week or so.

Take care!
Angipooh
Unread 12-22-2009, 05:54 AM   #4
NancyB
Administrator

Thanks for the update Angipooh! I'm glad there's no change in how it's working!

Happy Holidays.

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
Unread 12-31-2009, 02:27 AM   #5
skittliciousme

Default help, cant afford my subutex/out in 3 days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by angipooh View Post
Hi! Other then the taste which is way worse then the Suboxone, I haven't felt any difference (yet). I've only been taking them since Friday, Dec 18. The pills are white round and have 54 411 on one side of the pill. They are pretty easy to break into if needed. When I picked up 30 of the 90 that I was prescribed the pharmacy just put my label over the manufacture one and gave me the bottle that the came in. They told me the rest would be in on Monday (today) but I haven't checked with them yet.

So far so good with me. I'll post later on when I've been on them for at least a week or so.

Take care!
Angipooh
Hello,
I am very new to the forum and quite thankful I found it. I recently moved to Las Vegas and still havent found a new doctor. I am 3 days away from running out of my subutex (take due to allergy to naloxone). I take 3 pills a day and so in a 30 day refill my old dr prescribed 90 pills every month. She was a wonderful dr. She is going to call me in a refill for another month since i havent found a dr yet and money is tight due to neither me nor my husband has found a job yet (we have 5 kids also so money has to go to feeding them). I use to get my subutex with my insurance for $30/mo now I was told it will cost me $589. just for 60 of the 90 pills. I in no way can afford that so am scared about how I am gonna get my meds and what is gonna happen if I dont. I dont know if I should go to the er or not. I know there is a generic but my dr said her patients didnt like it and I cant afford to not like them with the cost of even the generic. I am wondering if you are still feeling ok on the generic. I am also a lupus and suffering of a couple autoimmune diseases so the subtuex also helps combat the pain. I am afraid of relapse and afraid of w/d's. I know I cant get state help b4 I run out so wondering if anyone lives here or knows of any discount plans, cheap individual health insurance that covers subutex & possibly the appts, or anything to help with the costs. ???

Thanks for your help and suggestions.

Skittliciousme.
skittliciousme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2009, 06:26 AM   #6
NancyB
Administrator

Hi Skittliciousme, welcome. I'm sorry you're having a difficult time finding a physician. Have you seen this thread? It has ways to find physicians that might be helpful:
http://www.addictionsurvivors.org/vb...ad.php?t=21259

There's also the Here to Help line of the manufacturer: 866-956-9204

This thread has discount cards for prescriptions:
http://www.addictionsurvivors.org/vb...ad.php?t=12915

As for the generic, the people I've encountered haven't said it's much different except for the taste and how it dissolves. What you could do it fill your prescription partially to make sure it works for you.

Also, how long have you been taking 24mg? Have you thought of reducing your dose at all? There are many people who have gone from 24mg to 20 or even 16 without much problem. The ceiling is known to be from 8 to 16 (depending on the individual). So if you're able to reduce your dose, you'll be cutting your cost. Also, with pain, people find that the lower doses (2 to 4mg) every 4 to 6 hours works better than the larger doses.

I hope some of that is helpful.

Nancy
Unread 01-09-2010, 08:02 PM   #7
mikey b

GEERIC WHAT??? WHERE ?? whats its name??
mikey b is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2010, 08:40 PM   #8
NancyB
Administrator

Hi mikey b, the generic for Subutex was released in early October. The prices have varied a lot from pharmacies in the same city (Walgreens $2.52 for an 8mg pill to Target at around $12 for the same thing). If you're getting Subutex prescribe, then tell the pharmacist you want the generic. If you're not, talk with your doctor about it to see if you can switch to it.

But do your homework first and call a bunch of pharmacies in your area t get the best price.

Hope that is helpful.

Nancy
Unread 01-09-2010, 10:16 PM   #9
shirleyj4

Hello, My name is Shirley and I live in Fairfax, Va. I was on suboxzone until the dr's office I went to charged me $600.00 for one visit instead of $300.00. I never heard of it in generic form? Could it be in Va?
shirleyj4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2010, 08:05 AM   #10
NancyB
Administrator

Hi shirleyj4, yes, it's available nationally - the generic for Subutex only, there isn't a generic for Suboxone yet. Just make sure you call around to different pharmacies to compare prices.

Nancy
Unread 01-26-2010, 02:32 AM   #11
johnnyboo

Wink

Hi...My name is John. This is my first post. This is a great site...I think I will use it quite a bit. I begun taking Suboxone Thanksgiving week and have NEVER felt better, it's a miracle drug, I swear. Sorry..I just had to get that out of my system...My big problem is costs. I'm on disability (Bipolar Disorder) and not able to work. The best price I can find paying cash is $559.00/90 pills (8mg). My Mental health center that I go to told me that I can fill out a form with Suboxone's manufacturer Reckitt Benckiser, and for people in my financial position, they will pay the entire Rx. I went to my Suboxone Doc and he told me that he couldn't do it because the medication would have to be delivered to his office, and he didn't want to get involved with that. I don't know why Reckitt Benckiser can't send the med's directly to my home address? Has anyone heard anything like this?
johnnyboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2010, 03:44 AM   #12
Jamesisdone

Welcome Johnny
The program requires the meds to be sent to the doctor's office and they have to lock them up... Maybe you could ask for the generic subutex or find another doctor who is willing to do the program??? There are also free perscription savings cards that can help as Nancy posted above. Good-luck and glad you found us
Jamesisdone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2010, 06:42 AM   #13
NancyB
Administrator

Hi johnnyboo, welcome. Does the doctor know that the medication is delivered monthly, not a year's supply at once? It does have to be locked up until you get there to pick it up, but I don't know of any doctor's offices that do not have locked cabinets. Here's the link for the program:
http://www.needymeds.org/drug_list.t...&name=Suboxone

The form is quite simple for the doctor to fill out. Most of the work is on the patient. Maybe he doesn't know that either. He just needs to fill out his name, address DEA numbers and license number, sign it and fax it.

Maybe he thinks it's more involved than it is.

If he still won't do that, then ask for the generic subutex and see what he says.

Let us know how it goes or if you have more questions.

Nancy
Unread 02-26-2010, 04:03 PM   #14
Mrsnake

Ny pharmacy looked at me like hi was hi when i ask about genaric
had my doctor prescribe the 2 mg as i am tapering .they are more
per milagram than the 8 i just had trouble breaking the 8 into tiny pieces
what is the genaric name? thanks
Mrsnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2010, 04:52 PM   #15
NancyB
Administrator

Hi Mrsnake, they should be able to call and get it. Hopefully this will help -some info on it from Roxane Labs:
https://www.roxane.com/appmanager/touchpoint/rli

ROXANE LABORATORIES, INC.
ANNOUNCES THE LAUNCH OF BUPRENORPHINE ½ HCl SUBLINGUAL TABLETS
COLUMBUS, OH – October 8, 2009 –
Roxane Laboratories, Inc. announced today the approval of its Abbreviated New Drug Application (ANDA) for Buprenorphine HCl Sublingual Tablets, 2mg and 8mg by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration. The product is available in bottles of 30 for immediate shipment to wholesalers and pharmacies nationwide.

Roxane Laboratories’ Buprenorphine HCl Sublingual Tablets are AB rated to SUBUTEX® (buprenorphine HCl) tablets. Annual sales of SUBUTEX® are approximately $67.7 Million1.
Full prescribing information for Buprenorphine HCl Sublingual Tablets is available on the Roxane Laboratories website at www.Roxane.com or upon request by calling Roxane Laboratories Technical Product Information at 1.800.962.8364.
Unread 03-09-2010, 04:58 PM   #16
ecocyber

Smile Nancy, I'm new to forum and could us your help

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyB View Post
Hi mikey b, the generic for Subutex was released in early October. The prices have varied a lot from pharmacies in the same city (Walgreens $2.52 for an 8mg pill to Target at around $12 for the same thing). If you're getting Subutex prescribe, then tell the pharmacist you want the generic. If you're not, talk with your doctor about it to see if you can switch to it.

But do your homework first and call a bunch of pharmacies in your area t get the best price.

Hope that is helpful.

Nancy

Nancy, thank you for this information. I have been checking around here in San Diego area and the lowest I can find for the generic Bup 8mg is about $3.50 per. Could you tell me which Walgreens offers you the $2.52 price? I would like to call them and arrange for mail delivery if possible.
Thanks
ecocyber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2010, 06:46 PM   #17
NancyB
Administrator

Hi ecocyber, welcome! Here's the address and phone number:

10407 Santa Monica Blvd
Los Angeles, CA 90025
310-481-7123

You might want to check with them on pricing since it was a while ago when I checked. (I just tried a couple of times and got put on endless hold. lol) If you get a chance, let me know what you find out.

Nancy
Unread 03-09-2010, 07:44 PM   #18
cferd

I found a Walgreens that quoted me $1.80 ea. for generic subtex, 2mg pills. Name brand are $7.00 ea.
cferd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2010, 07:30 PM   #19
ecocyber

Smile Best price for 8mg, Generic Buprenorphine.....Looks like Walgreens is best cash price

Thank you Nancy for the info. And thank you for the welcome message. I am glad to have found this forum and am looking forward to interacting with you and all the other members. I have been on Suboxone therapy for about a year now. My dosage is written as "up to 3, 8mg tablets per day". So, my usual prescription quantity is 90. I have a very nice doctor who was willing to switch me to the generic Buprenorphine in order to save some money. I pay cash for my Suboxone and have been paying about $525 per 90 tablets at Costco.

I have done an extensive search of all the alternatives and possibilities and the least expensive place I have found for the generic is Walgreen's. My doctor wrote the prescription for a 90 day supply which in my case would be 270, 8mg tablets. Using the Walgreen's Prescription Savings Club card (which will cost you $20 for an annual membership), my cost would be about $939. This works out to $3.48 per 8mg tablet. That's the best I have been able to find.

I would even be willing to order it online from a foreign country if there was that option. I have been searching for a foreign source without any luck so far. I know that at least two companies in India make a generic.

If someone out there has found a less expensive source(here in the USA or from a foreign country), I would greatly appreciate hearing about it. You can contact me here or, I have my personal email listed in my profile.

I hope this helps someone else to find a good price. Although I am a bit disappointed in Roxane Pharma for the price they are selling the generic for here in the US, it is still a reduction from the brand name; and for that I am thankful.

I have put a little about myself in the profile......here is a bit more: I live in the San Diego area, am single, 52 years old, 6'2" tall, and Caucasian.

Best regards to everyone here in the forum.
ecocyber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2010, 09:36 PM   #20
JerseyJoey

If you have a AAA membership try using that or at least ask for a price using it. Sometimes It's cheaper than paying for their annual membership card.....
JerseyJoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2010, 02:04 PM   #21
kizzle

I have been on Subutex for almost 2 years,I have a great doctor who is treating me for chronic pain management with Subutex.In December my co pay on my plan was $5 then Jan $20 then in Feb they jacked it up to $40.Because it was brand name.Now don't get me wrong I am grateful for my plan but I am going through a divorce and my husband is on Subuxone and I am currently waiting for my SSI/SSDI that was on appeal and rely on him for money.It is a long strange story but getting on Subutex is the best thing that ever happen to me.I found a pharmacy that compounds meds they were the only one in the area that carried the generic which cost me $5 and they are going to keep it in stock for me. All the other pharmacies say it is on back order.I live in Easton Pa and Pa is one of the worst places for Physician knowledge, pharmacy knowledge..anything.I will share my opinion of the generics as I will start on them tomorrow.They are round instead of oval and seem to be harder.I will post and thank you for being here for people like me. Although I have been in recovery,my shrinks thinks I am in denial of my addiction but then he is 70 yrs old and didn't know what it was and is not near as knowledgeable as my Sub provider.That's the problem most DR's don't know crap and it scares them.So if anyone in Pa needs a great Doctor it is Jeffery Thompson MD in Allentown Pa.He is the best there is and will work with you,this guy saved my life, and my monthly visits are like seeing an old friend! Thaks for letting me share!
kizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2010, 10:24 PM   #22
okie

I have been using the generic for a week now. I noticed no difference between brand and generic except for the co$t. Taste, ok all sub sucks taste wise anyhow...they are round, so for me, it is easier to cut down the 8mg pills into 1mg(with a pill cutter).

I got them from Walgreens and they did have to call around and transfer the rest of my scrip from another store because their supplier does have subutex generic on backorder for a month.(as of 3/11/2010).

Price wise the last ones I got were at 3.80 a piece, but that was before walgreens gave me a new discount card (free) that will reduce the cost some more..I hope..will post again when I pick the rest up and find out how much they end up costing.

But absolutely no headaches or other side effects..
Unread 04-01-2010, 10:06 PM   #23
SarahJane

I have been taking generic sub for three moths.. my insurance covers generics fully.. i have found no difference.. it is so worth it..it doesn not taste quite the same i agree.. but who cares .. it works very well..

sarah jane
Unread 04-08-2010, 01:23 AM   #24
SpAcEdGeD

Another update

I walked into a random Walgreens today and they had the generic in stock. I paid $50 for 15 pills. I have numerous discount cards and Walgreens offers a discount card for $20 a year and you save 10% on generic medication with their program. As long as I use Walgreens two times for my Generic RX's I will get my money back from that initial $20 fee. If you don't have insurance don't just rely on the http://freedrugcard.us website for Rx discount cards. There are other ones out there that give you better deals depending on what state you live in. If you are really trying to save money google Prescription Drug Discount Cards http://bit.ly/9r58vn (google link for different cards) and print up as many as you can find and then bring them into the pharmacy and have them run each one through the computer to see which card gives you a better deal.

Also some of these sites require you to give a email address and if you want to avoid spam emails or junk email you can create another free email address using Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail or whatever just so you can print out these cards. Most of the time I have found that all you have to do is visit the discount card site and print it up without giving any personal information.
SpAcEdGeD is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Say Thank You to SpAcEdGeD For This Useful Post:
Thank You (04-08-2010), Thank You (04-08-2010)
Unread 12-16-2010, 09:36 PM   #25
aprilflower123

Quote:
Hi shirleyj4, yes, it's available nationally - the generic for Subutex only, there isn't a generic for Suboxone yet. Just make sure you call around to different pharmacies to compare prices.

Nancy
The sad news is that I was told by my pharmacist the other day that now that they have come out with the new suboxone film that it will be 9 yrs now before the patent will go off to produce a generic form of suboxone....I always thought it was after 1 yr...Im gonna have to look it up and see....
aprilflower123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2010, 06:15 AM   #26
NancyB
Administrator

Hi, I just posted this in the how much do you pay thread.

Quote:
Hi aprilflower123, there's actually no patent protection on the pills any longer, so I wouldn't be surprised if there's a generic Suboxone sometime next year. I'm not sure about any protection on the film, but there is definitely nothing stopping anyone from making a generic Suboxone.

Hope that helps!

Nancy
One User Says Thank You to NancyB For This Useful Post:
Thank You (12-17-2010)
Unread 10-16-2011, 05:54 PM   #27
angipooh

Hello again
Hope everyone is doing ok. Thought I would post this for everyone. I went to Walgreen's yesterday to PU my monthly script for generic subutex 8 mg 3x's daily = 90 tabs. I have been getting the generic Roxanne buperonorphine which were white round, when I got home I noticed that the bottles looked different (3 original bottles that come from the manufacture & my pharmacy attaches the prescription label) . So when I opened the bottle the pills were almost a oval shape, white with b on one side and 799 on the other. Teva is the manufacture per my label.
Has anyone else taken these? The only differences is they seem to dissolve faster on my end. The cost was about the same too.

Any feed back would be appreciated.

Take care,
Angipooh
Unread 10-16-2011, 11:47 PM   #28
soveryblessed

Hey angipooh Yes several of us have been Walgreens customers and are asking this. MY story was that when I got my first prescription of the Teva brand I took my first dose and I had a HORRIBLE allergic reaction...I had been told I was allergic to suboxone strips (the naloxone part) which is why I'm on the subutex tablets but had been taking the Roxane with no problems. So I was shocked when my mouth became raw and my tongue/lips/face swelled up like a balloon within minutes. To make a long story short, I contacted the doctor, took what was left in the bottle back to Walgreens and went to the Mom-n-Pop pharmacy that carried Roxane and it was taken care of. I even talked to my insurance company and while I was on the phone they reversed the first rx and paid for the new one. Then that night I was looking on the internet and I saw pictures of Suboxone tablets (I'd never seen them before because I was on strips) and realized that Walgreens had given me SUBOXONE TABLETS NOT TEVA brand subutex. Suboxone tablets are orange and have 5 sides and the Teva is as you describe. Since I no longer had the bottle I could not prove it but I wish now I had checked more into it first. Anyway from all the research I did that day the only thing I saw was that some people think the Teva has better availability. They have exactly the same ingredients list both active and inert. And I read Teva is cheaper (although apparently Walgreens is not passing this on to patients) So I don't think you will notice anything but I'd be interested if you do. Some time in the future I may have to switch and I'm pretty sure it will be fine for me. I have had other problems with Walgreens too over the years: being shorted pills, making multiple trips, them saying stuff was the "law" but it wasn't just general trying to make it difficult for me (I felt). I pretty much stay away from there but thats just me.
All the best to you
kristi
soveryblessed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2012, 02:00 PM   #29
Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by skittliciousme View Post
Hello,
I am very new to the forum and quite thankful I found it. I recently moved to Las Vegas and still havent found a new doctor. I am 3 days away from running out of my subutex (take due to allergy to naloxone). I take 3 pills a day and so in a 30 day refill my old dr prescribed 90 pills every month. She was a wonderful dr. She is going to call me in a refill for another month since i havent found a dr yet and money is tight due to neither me nor my husband has found a job yet (we have 5 kids also so money has to go to feeding them). I use to get my subutex with my insurance for $30/mo now I was told it will cost me $589. just for 60 of the 90 pills. I in no way can afford that so am scared about how I am gonna get my meds and what is gonna happen if I dont. I dont know if I should go to the er or not. I know there is a generic but my dr said her patients didnt like it and I cant afford to not like them with the cost of even the generic. I am wondering if you are still feeling ok on the generic. I am also a lupus and suffering of a couple autoimmune diseases so the subtuex also helps combat the pain. I am afraid of relapse and afraid of w/d's. I know I cant get state help b4 I run out so wondering if anyone lives here or knows of any discount plans, cheap individual health insurance that covers subutex & possibly the appts, or anything to help with the costs. ???

Thanks for your help and suggestions.

Skittliciousme.
Hello I am new on site my name is Phil I've been taking suboxone for almost a year and just switched to the generic subutex. There is a major difference everyone I have spoken to says same thing. Sweats feeling sick feeling tired. Yes the price is better but does not work. I just left my doctors office getting my script changed back. I took the generic for a week and could not take the feeling anymore. Look up all reviews on generic not one person likes it.
Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2012, 06:48 PM   #30
stp747

I have been taking the generic for close to 2 years now and have no problems at all. I prefer the generic. This is why people should avoid blanket statements, just because you don't think the generic did not work for you, does not mean it doesn't work fro someone else. Steve
stp747 is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Users Say Thank You to stp747 For This Useful Post:
Thank You (03-24-2013), Thank You (03-09-2012), Thank You (03-10-2012)
Unread 03-10-2012, 05:08 AM   #31
thisisit

Thumbs up Pharmacy discount card

I received this info in the mail my daughter actually signed me up for it and I want to pass it on to the forum so if anybody can use it or wants to try it can. It may help with some of the cost of the scripts for your medicine.

Rxrelief
pharmacy discount card
the web site is: www. RxReliefCard.com
phone #: 1-800-776-0760

After you have been accepted they send you a card in the mail and it is ready to use and it is free. The letter says you can save up to 75% off all prescriptions regardless of medical history. And they are accepted at a lot of pharmacies to many to list. Go to the web site and check it out. It may be of some help if not for suboxene maybe some other med you take or whatever. Don't know if it covers suboxene I personally haven't tried it yet just received it in the mail yesterday.

And to the post up above I have been on subutex generic for a couple of months and have had no bad effects. I was on suboxene and had side effects that I couldn't handle and was switched and didn't blink an eye and started taking subutex generic and they are the same if not better. I have been able to reduce down a few mg. with it since starting subutex. So don't be afraid of it until you try it for your self everyone reacts different to everything specially with this medicine. And may be this discount card will help you with your costs. Best wishes to you! hope you find a doc soon.
Thank You (03-10-2012)
Unread 03-10-2012, 06:58 AM   #32
NancyB
Administrator

The above post was also copied to to a separate thread so more could see it. Thanks thisisit!

http://www.addictionsurvivors.org/vb...ad.php?t=27474