Addiction Survivors

Unread 09-19-2009, 11:47 AM   #1
gsolorzano01

Default Xanax and Subutex??

Hi everyone, I been trying to quit opiods with the help of suboxone since 02/08 that was the first time I was given suboxone but it was giving to me by a DO not a substance abuse pchycologist or doctor so he really didn't help or listen to me and also I was so scared of beeing on sub cause what I heard in another site so I was lowering my dose really fast so anyways of course I went back to lortabs in 08/08 then over the next months I went back in fort on sub and lortabs wanting to quit really, so anyways finally in 01/09 I quit with the help of suboxone doing ok then had a relapse in 03/09 for like 17 days, then in 04/01/09 I quit but this time I decided it would be the last but I knew I had to change doctors so I research while on sub and started also therapy and in that office there was a substance abuse pchycologist a very good one so I started to go with him I went to him on 08/14/09 at that time I was on 3mg of suboxone and I was also craving all the time and I had the worst anxiaty I didn't know it was anxiaty but I was having it for the past 4 months and getting worse I thought I was going to have a heart attack. So anyways he change my rx from suboxone 3mg to subutex 8mg, also he put me on celexa 20mg and xanax .25mg 4xday, now I have always heard you can't mixed benzos with sub and I question the doctor but he said it was fine in low doses and also showed me studies on the reported cases of death on ppl using xanax and sub is because they were abusing it and also mixing with alcohool, so I trust him and started takin xanax and up the dose and all the instructions he told me and feel really good for the first time in a long time I feel like I'm moving foward. But I'm scared cause I still go to the other site for substance abuse and they 1 hate sub and 2 they know you are not suppost to mixed the 2, my question is what do you guys think about mixing subutx and xanax? the doctor told me the max he wants me to take is 2mg of xanax.
Thank you I know is a long post sorry
GS
gsolorzano01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2009, 12:06 PM   #2
gsolorzano01

Any comments please!!
Unread 09-19-2009, 12:06 PM   #3
NancyB
Administrator

Hi GS and welcome. Your doctor is correct. Benzos, when taken as prescribed, are safe to take with Suboxone/Subutex. It's when misuse of the benzos occur - taking them in large quantities and/or injecting them - that problems arise. Then if another respiratory depressant is added into the mix (alcohol, opiates, etc.) the problems can get much worse.

There are many people here who responsibly take their benzos along with their Subxone and haven't had any problems.

This is a good FAQ to read about dependency/addiction. It really explains a lot.
http://www.naabt.org/faq_answers.cfm#1

I'm glad that you've got the right combination of medications and finally feel good.

I hope this helped. Again, welcome.

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2009, 12:16 PM   #4
gsolorzano01

Thanks Nancy,
I was up all night last night cause I read somenthing on another site and someone had died using 8mg of sub and 2mg of xanax and that is just me and I was so scared and up I didn't want to close my eyes, even though I been taking it since 08/15/09 lol, Thanks
Unread 09-19-2009, 12:28 PM   #5
NancyB
Administrator

You're welcome. I'm so sorry that someone was spreading misinformation like that which can be very harmful to those who take benzos as prescribed because they need them.

I hope you can sleep well tonight.

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
Unread 09-19-2009, 01:14 PM   #6
Christine65

I was already taking two .5 mg Xanax a day (for panic attacks) when I started Suboxone. I haven't had any problems with it. The problems arise when you abuse Xanax, i.e. take too much.
Christine65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2009, 04:12 PM   #7
Sub-Zero

I wouldn't worry about the Xanax. Those are low doses you are on and it is only dangerous when you are taking r4eal high doses. It sounds to me that your doctor did the right thing raising your dose, since you were still having cravings, and the attention to the anxiety problem is good. I hope it works out for you and you can make enough changes in your life that you will be able to taper off of the meds, at least some of them. Congratulations!
Sub
Sub-Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2009, 10:11 PM   #8
gsolorzano01

Thank to all, but Sub how much is high doses cause I'm really not familiar with xanax and the second visit I had with the doctor He gave me a RX of .5mg instead of .25mg and I notice he gave me diffrent directions and also qty directins 1/2 to 1 four times a daily and QTY 90, so I called him and he said he up my dose cause of my simptoms but that I would maybe have extra. So how much is to much!!
Unread 09-19-2009, 10:41 PM   #9
NancyB
Administrator

Hi again, It seems that 4mg or more is considered on the high end of xanax.

Dosage should be individualized for maximum beneficial effect. While the usual daily dosages given below will meet the needs of most patients, there will be some who require doses greater than 4 mg/day. In such cases, dosage should be increased cautiously to avoid adverse effects.

The rest of the link has a lot more information about dosing.

Nancy