Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 05-21-2015, 06:30 PM   #1
FlyingSparrow

Question Pregnant! What next?

Hi everyone. This is my first post. I recently found out that I'm pregnant! I'm about 4 weeks along, and i have some concerns.

I've been taking suboxone for about 4 years now. I starts at 16mg and now I only take about 2mg per day. I plan to taper down as much as I can, but I know that coming off completely while pregnant is a bad idea. I plan to breastfeed my baby, and any future baby that I have, until they wean themselves naturally.

I haven't told many people about the pregnancy, and I don't plan on it until I reach at least 12 weeks.

So what next? I know that most drs want to switch pregnant women to subutex. Should I call my dr and let him know, or just wait until my next appointment? I'll most likely call him tomorrow, and he'll probably have me come in Monday.

My other big concern, and I plan to bring this up with my dr - I really want to have a midwife birth at a birth center. I do NOT want to be treated like shit from hospital staff and have my child be forced to start in the hospital for weeks and weeks on methadone. That seems crazy to me and I don't trust that it's the right thing to do at all, especially where I plan on nursing. What should I do here? I'm worried that if I tell the birth center, they will turn me away, although the subs wouldn't effect the delivery and if there were an issue after birth with w/d, we could go to the hospital of we needed to. I guess this is all things to discuss with my doctor, but has anyone here had a successful birth center or midwife assisted birth without any medication, while on subs?

Thanks for the help. I really don't want to heat horror stories, as Ive already seen enough of them, so try to stay away from negative stories for now.

Thanks!
FlyingSparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2015, 07:16 AM   #2
NancyB
Administrator

Hi FlyingSparrow, welcome. Congratulations!

Did you decide if you're going to call your doctor or wait until your next appointment - when is your next appointment?

I was looking through this thread: http://www.addictionsurvivors.org/vb...ad.php?t=16542
And this post stuck out:
http://www.addictionsurvivors.org/vb...2&postcount=15
Scarlette-Gemini mentioned having a midwife who specialized in bupe patients. That post is 6 years old, but it makes me wonder if that is something for you to look into - a specialized midwife.

Unfortunately, no one has posted in that thread for over a year. But there are non-horror stories in there. Some of the horror stories in there, though, seem to be from the hospital staff over-reacting or being just plain mean.

Do you think your OB/GYN or maybe even your Suboxone doctor might know of a midwife specializing in bupe pregnancies?

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2015, 11:29 AM   #3
morphing

FlyingSparrow,

Welcome to the site. You're probably far more familiar with the topic than I am, but as I understand it, a lot of things vary from state-to-state. Some friends of mine have 4 children here in Alabama, but they had to go to Tennessee to have the babies by midwife. The wife was from another country where that is more common, and didn't want to have her babies in a hospital.

You gave the thread a good title, so I imagine others will come by to comment when they have the time (probably over the holiday weekend).

Keep us posted.
Morphing
morphing is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2015, 02:54 AM   #4
FlyingSparrow

Thank you both for your responses! I appreciate the advice!

My next appointment is on June 8th, but I will be calling on Monday to ask what I should do. For now, I had one subutex leftover from a while ago, and plenty of my current prescription for suboxone. I have been taking the subutex, but will run out before I am able to call on Monday. So I plan to just keep taking my regular dose of suboxone. Everything I have read says that taking the suboxone should be fine until I am sure about the next step, and that the worst thing I could do would be to stop taking it altogether.

I will talk to him at my next appointment about midwife birth and breastfeeding. We have talked about pregnancy before and he has told me that babies do very well on subutex, and he strongly recommends breastfeeding and natural baby led weaning - both are things that I feel very strongly about regardless of whether or not I am taking suboxone, but even more so because I am on it, and I know that it is better for the baby than medicating them with morphene or methadone, and keeping them separated from their mothers for weeks. I'm extremely adamant and won't give up without a fight. Hopefully I won't have to. I've considered just not bringing it up to the midwives at the birth center that I want to go to, but I don't think that's the best course of action. Honesty is the best policy and when I met the midwives at this specific center (where my sister gave birth!) they were very open minded and seemed to be understanding. They are into natural healing and not medicalizig birth where it doesn't need to be with unnecessary interventions.

I could go on about this all day. I do not trust doctors about many subjects. They are usually just blindly following their policies which are told to them by the government, and are often very under informed and misinformed about some things, and where the government is paid off my "big pharma", I just see too many conflicts of interest to trust that they really and truly have my best interests at heart.

Sorry to be a conspiracy theorist, but the more I research the subject, the more I lose my trust in the government.
Unread 05-26-2015, 04:30 PM   #5
FlyingSparrow

So just a little update.

I finally got ahold of my dr and he was able to switch me to subutex over the phone. I just have to bring what I have left of the suboxone in to my pharmacy and they will switch it out. I won't be able to go until tomorrow morning, but the nurse told me not to worry, just to get it tomorrow and start taking it then. I'm a little worried, but trying not to stress about it because I know stress is bad for the baby. I'll just switch over tomorrow.

I'm 5 weeks today! Hoping that things keep going well!
Unread 05-26-2015, 06:13 PM   #6
NancyB
Administrator

Hi FlyingSparrow, did you already talk with the pharmacy about switching it out? If not, please give them a call ahead of time.

I'll keep my fingers crossed. Congrats on 5 weeks!

Let us know how it goes tomorrow.

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
Unread 05-26-2015, 10:20 PM   #7
FlyingSparrow

No I haven't spoken with the pharmacy, but my doctor has called it in. I live close by so I'll be headed over there in the morning. They are very nice there, I think it will go fine.
Unread 05-27-2015, 06:07 AM   #8
NancyB
Administrator

Hi again, oh, ok, I misunderstood - I was thinking that the doctor was telling you to go 'trade it in' lol. I'm glad it was called in. You shouldn't have a problem then.

Nancy