Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 07-08-2013, 05:45 PM   #1
theswan

Default Chronic Pain Update

Hello my friends

I thought that it may be time to refresh my chronic pain thread. Currently I am on 2mg 6X a day and my pain is very well handled for the most part. I do have bad days but the good outnumber them.

To rehash, I was on suboxone through a clinical trial at Columbia Prespyterian hospital/NY Psychairtric Center. The trial was for chronic pain patients who took more then prescribed dosage of opioid medications. (it really was that large a title lol)

That was 2008 and I stayed on 16mg for over a year. I decided to taper for a couple of reasons-One was to get to a "base-point" a point where I could feel my level of pain and then work towards getting better.
After a dead slow taper, I got off the sub with hardly any WD's I went a year trying "Tylenol" and "Alleve" and just about every non narcotic med out there up to an including Tramadol (which worked well for a time)
So after a year of trying, I slowly went from the Butrans patch to my current 2mg X6 a day of subutex (I see a pain doctor who writes it "off lable" PRN "For pain") It must be written this way if not for detox where a doctor requires the "X" prefix and training to prescribe Bupe as Suboxone.

I am doing well with pain but other issues have become quite the bother. I have Afib which means my heart sends bad signals to the muscles of the heart and It can cause blood to "pool" and that allows a chance for a clot to form. I must take a blood thinner and get monitored each month because too much or too little can be harmful.

My sleep is bad due to nocturia which may be caused my the AFib which may in turn be caused by sleep apnea (the latter I may have but have not been disgnosed but I think I do because of loud snoring and awakening out of breath often-Whoops wife is ready we gotta go out to eat and a moive more later thanks!

Glen
theswan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2013, 08:02 AM   #2
NancyB
Administrator

Hi Glen, glad to hear your pain is being managed. But what about the sleep apnea - do you have a CPAP?

Did you finally get in to see your doctor about your hip? What's going on with that?

I hope you're having a good summer. As muggy and rainy as it's been. Here anyways...

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2013, 12:35 AM   #3
theswan

Funny saga this hip journey. Yes I did get to see the doctor and he was excellent. He said it may be one of two things. An infection but he thinks not but too blood anyway. I know one test was for CKinase an enzyme that happens to be very high (I know because the clinical trial people took blood and alerted me to this finding.
It may have to do with the hip but......may also have something to do with my Afib.
The second thing it may be is an inflamed bursa which I lean to (pun intended)
The pain comes and goes but does seem to center there right where he touched.
After all this I get an appointment for Thursday (today) but guess what? Auuugh! they cancelled again! (side note is right down the block is Saint Johns Cathederal and Tony Soprano "Gandolphini" had his wake the day I was there and the streets were mobbed-I did see a few Soprano stars at least)
So, I await their call but will stop by next week in person because they are impossible to even get on the phone as it rings and rings dozens of times then goes to a recording 'This is an unused line' frustrated to the max!

I assume I have sleep apnea and my cardiologist believes this is the cause of my afib so, the plan is this. To have the sleep test, then try and deal with a mask (I heard they make a compact one now) Then if my sleep improves, they will cardio-convert me again and see it it takes hold this time.

My wife and I have been swimming and I am happy she has been able to come up these few times, We have a wedding shower to take her, my brother and his wife to this weekend then a wedding to look forward to in September (My lovely niece Emily) So We are busy and having a good time.

I also am supposed to have a cystyscope to check my bladder because I have blood and also I go to the bathroom several times a night (the clinical trial of vasopressen has not helped a lot but it did limit it to 3-4 rather then 4-6 times a night.
I dread this test and put it off one time already. I wish they'd sedate me but they dont do that. Not that I even want a valium in fact I hate them but maybe Profolol may work or heck, I'll just bite the bullet.

Thanks for asking

Glen
Unread 07-14-2013, 11:33 PM   #4
theswan

I think I'll wait until the fall weather to have this test. Auugh I really do not want a "scope"

Lots of swimming in my future!

Glen
Unread 07-15-2013, 06:48 AM   #5
NancyB
Administrator

Glen! Just get the test over with! You already put it off once and in the fall you'll say it's too nice out; you have Emily's wedding and then the holidays are coming. After that it will be too cold in the winter. Really seriously think about just getting it done and over with - especially because you have blood.

Please rethink that. There'll be plenty of time for swimming, ok?

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
Unread 07-16-2013, 04:06 AM   #6
theswan

I agree with you. I am afraid

However, I will get it done. The thing is that the urololgist is alarmed because I have microhematuria. I am not. Why, because I have had this since 1991.

My nocturia is 99% sure to be caused by my Afib because the cardiologist told me and it just happens that my nocturia started in earnest the same time as I noticed the "flutter" then got the tachycardia. So yeah, maybe a "mass" or a polyp has some causal relation to it but I doubt it.

I will get it done but thanks for the push Nancy

Glen
Unread 07-16-2013, 06:32 AM   #7
NancyB
Administrator

Hi Glen, I'm glad you'll get it done sooner than later. Then you move from there with whatever the results are - and not have it looming in the back of your mind any more.

Stay cool! It's been brutal around here in Connecticut.

Nancy
Unread 07-16-2013, 05:23 PM   #8
theswan

We are not so far apart. I live in dutchess county and Danbury is close (15 miles maybe?) So we get much the same weather and it is brutal. I forgot about being on antibiotics and got a bad burn on my forearms. I use sun block most places but my arms were very tan-big mistake! I did not know a tan could burn but it did.

August 16 is the date of my upcoming cysto. I had cumadin clinic and the urologist is one flight up so I made the appointment.

Glen