Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 07-11-2015, 04:53 AM   #1
ARunloader74

Default Hi new member.

As stated am new here looking for a little support and ideas from people who u e been successful in leaving the drink behind them. Am 40 years old and my drinking career has been extensive. Have had a couple dui's it has led to issues in my marriage and poor attendance at times at work. Though I have stayed with same job for 20 years and have been successful in spite of using alcohol as a crutch. I own a home and have 3 great kids. From the outside I would probably appear to have things together. However those that know me closer know that I struggle with my own set of demons as I am sure most of the folks that gather here do. Without getting to long winded in my introduction.... If anyone can relate or just wants to introduce themselves that would be great! Haven't had anything to drink in 3 days so battling some insomnia most nights and writing sometimes helps. Anyhow hope everyone is doing well! Thanks for reading if you made it this far lol.
ARunloader74 is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Users Say Thank You to ARunloader74 For This Useful Post:
Thank You (08-02-2015), Thank You (07-11-2015), Thank You (07-11-2015)
Unread 07-11-2015, 06:28 AM   #2
Tryntryagain

Good morning ARunloader. Bright blessings to you from dear old Blighty.

Welcome, welcome to this family.

Thank you for your introduction and thank you for reaching out. I can relate a great deal to your introduction, many, many here will.

It's the "putting on a brave face"....while actually inside struggles and demons seem personally overwhelming. I joined this family about 2/3 years ago, and Re DUI's again i can relate to you with that. I suppose we try to "ignore" the huge elephant in the room until we can no longer sustain that ignorance and avoidance.

Congratulations on 3 days sober!! It is challenging for sure, but so very worth it. Difficulty in sleeping, eating and concentrating may be somethings you experience, but it passes, truly it does.

What i learnt here among the most amasing people i have ever met is to "give myself a chance". Keep talking and sharing and together we all try to support each other find our way to sobriety.

It is wonderful that you have found us, and we will all look forward to getting to know you as you will get to know all of us.

Be peaceful, be healthy and be strong. Welcome and loveness to you
Tryntryagain is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Say Thank You to Tryntryagain For This Useful Post:
Thank You (07-11-2015), Thank You (07-11-2015)
Unread 07-11-2015, 12:00 PM   #3
iamtrying

Welcome to the group ARunloader74...Congratulation on taking first step and good job being 3 days sober. Take one day at a time. It is hard at the beginning but will get better. Identify the triggers and try to have somethings (activities, sports, TV etc) in place that will help you during triggers to drink. you are not alone....We are with you...keep posting and expressing helps.
iamtrying is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2015, 01:05 PM   #4
lostdog

Hi and welcome. You sound like a high functioning person with an alcohol issue. You realize it, congratulations and your ready to get some help. First thing is distracting yourself with urges and think through the drink. If I can help you with anything holler.
lostdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2015, 01:16 PM   #5
ARunloader74

The sleeping is really tough for me in previous attempts I have made this has made insomnia has been the deal breaker. As I must still maintain a busy work and home schedule. Am considering consulting with my physician as far as maybe a prescription sleep aid but not that I want risk becoming dependent on something else. I don't really have history with abusing other substances alcohol has been my battle since my teens. Was wondering if anyone had any thoughts as far as going that route or should I just try to tough it out I appreciate the reply blighty as well as those who thanked me for the post. Hope everyone is having a good day!
ARunloader74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2015, 01:32 PM   #6
Millie

Hi and welcome. You've done good by coming here. There are some wise and just plain great humans here.

I've had insomnia problems when stopping too, and it has indeed been a deal breaker. For me it evened out after a couple weeks.

Prescription sleep aids are so harsh. I would try a gentle approach first, something like Valerian tea (Sleepytime Extra is pretty good). For me it's been enough to at least get me to sleep.

What happens when you try to sleep? Is your mind racing, or like you've had a bunch of caffeine?
Millie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2015, 01:34 PM   #7
NancyB
Administrator

Hi ARunloader74, have you tried any over-the-counter sleep aids? There's benedryl, melatonin, valerian root and if you like tea Sleepy Time (chamomile) Tea can be found in the coffee/tea sections of most groceries.

Have you looked into Campral at all? There's a little blurb about it here:
http://alcoholanswers.org/treatment-...-treatment.cfm
"About Acamprosate Calcium (Campral®)
FDA approved in 2004, acamprosate calcium reduces the physical and emotional distress that may occur in the weeks and months after alcohol consumption is stopped. Acting on the GABA and glutamate nerurotransmitter systems, Campral is an oral medication with a recommended daily dose of two (2) 333mg tablets three times a day. Patients must be abstinent before beginning treatment. The medication should be part of an overall treatment plan which should include professional therapy and peer support.

Campral does not stop patients from consuming alcohol, nor does it precipitate any physical symptoms when alcohol is consumed while the patient takes Campral."

Hope that's helpful.

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2015, 12:14 AM   #8
R. Lee

ARunloader74, Welcome to the site. I sure can relate to you. If you want to stop drinking you can do it by making it the # 1 priority. If you can do that everything else will follow.

I could not stop on my own. I use a support group of recovering alcoholics & this site to keep me in tune. I only worry about staying sober for today. If I stay sober today then I can start over with another 24 yours.

Keep coming & letting us know how you are doing & support others who are having issues with still drinking & things that come along in everyday life. We are a family who support each other.

Have a great day & think through that next urge to drink.
R. Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to R. Lee For This Useful Post:
Thank You (07-12-2015)
Unread 07-26-2015, 10:17 AM   #9
gmasusie

Do come back and let us know how you are doing. If you are drinking, we still care.

Susie
gmasusie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2015, 08:45 PM   #10
gracie67

Hi ARunloader74 ,
Welcome to this site , which can be extremely helpful seeing all of us are from different part's of the country , so you can write day or night and someone is always' on .
My only fear for you w/the sleeping pill's is with an addiction problem you always' have to be careful. I would say talk to your Doctor , tell him how you are quitting drinking and he or she should be able to help you out with, it is a good idea or not. They also have ton's of different sleeping aid's to give you and there may be one that would be a perfect fit without interrupting you choice to give up drinking. ( Just a note; remember a Dr. cannot repeat anything you tell him , not to your wife , boss or anyone who would have the nerve to ask).
I wish you the BEST OF LUCK & WELCOME TO THE SITE!
Gracie67
gracie67 is offline   Reply With Quote