Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 09-28-2010, 02:29 PM   #1
tlg

Default Vomiting

1st, I am new to this site, so I hope this is how I can post and get responses to a question I may have?! If now, I am always happy to learn new things
I am a bit confused on if the Sub is causing me to vomit possibly , or if it is something else?! I am of course trying to get in with a doctor ASAP, but with no insurance and only 2 places to go, they have nothing until next week. I do have Vertigo, and have been blaming the vomiting on that, but it has now been 4 days (since Saturday morn) of vomiting all day over anything. Smoking, taking any of my meds, eating, drinking, and I was just wondering if anyone else has had this as a possible side effect. I have been on it for 9 months now, and on this same dose for at least 3 months, and it happens 1st thing in the morning, before or after taking my 1st dose. Just concerned, and b/c of my past addiction, I know I need to go have bloodwork done and speak with a doctor, but I it is really starting to wear on me and my mood, making me depressed and I just don't feel good and can't eat b/c I will vomit. Even just drinking water, it may or may not come up?!
tlg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2010, 02:34 PM   #2
theswan

no, I'd think it would be the oppisite

I had severe vertigo and vomiting was part and parcel of it. Do you eyes go back and forth real fast? that is nystagmus and a sure sign of vertigo. It should pass but could also be a sign of head trouble Ie trauma, tumor etc

you must go to a doctor if it persists. Meclazine spelled wrong helps just like dramamine. But a doctor is in order

Good luck

Glen
theswan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2010, 04:47 PM   #3
biglittle

I've gotten sick and thrown up when I took too much sub but never on the usual dose.
biglittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2010, 04:52 PM   #4
NancyB
Administrator

Hi tlg, has the vomiting happened the entire time you've been taking Suboxone? Have you had vertigo for the same amount of time?

Can you see if you can be put on a cancellation list at the doctor so you can maybe get in sooner?

Sorry for all the questions.

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2010, 06:55 PM   #5
tlg

As far as the Vertigo goes, I was diagnoised back in April of this year, and I have been on the sub since Jan. of this year long term (was also on it for 2 weeks in treatment back in May 09)
When I think it's actually the Vetigo, I do have dizziness and the vomiting, but for the past 4 days, and a few episodes I've had before, I haven't been dizzy at all, just had 1-2 days of vomiting only. I do take the meclizine and promethezine.
As far as the the doctor goes I am on a waiting list, but apparently I am not on top, and I will get in ASAP! I have put it off for a while b/c I thought it was Vertigo, but since this episode that started on Saturday, I am thinking it has to do with something else. I was just curious if anyone else has ever had an issue like this that was a possible side effect from the Sub?!
Unread 09-28-2010, 07:27 PM   #6
NancyB
Administrator

Hi again, the only time I've heard of people vomiting was when their dose was too high, but not as much or as intense as you have, generally just shortly after they took their dose.

What dose did you start on and what dose are you currently taking?

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
Unread 09-28-2010, 07:49 PM   #7
tlg

I started back In jan. of this year on 2mg BID I have been on 8mg BID for 3 months now, and before that I was on 8mg morn 4mg PM
Unread 09-28-2010, 09:44 PM   #8
MissSurvivor

The only time I threw up from Suboxone was when I tried to take my whole dose at ONE time instead of spread out throughout the day. But I also don't have any problems with vertigo or head trauma/tumors. The only thing I have is high blood pressure. Sorry I couldn't be much of help. How come you kept increasing your sub? Just curious.. I was inducted on 4mg BID and then 6mg am & 4mg pm, then finally 4mg 3x a day ::sigh:: withdrawals/cravings from wicked methadone.
Unread 09-29-2010, 09:34 AM   #9
MaJaBe

What is BID?
MaJaBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2010, 09:40 AM   #10
NancyB
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie30 View Post
What is BID?
Hi Jackie, BID = twice a day.

Nancy
Unread 09-29-2010, 09:42 AM   #11
NancyB
Administrator

Hi tlg, it was nice 'meeting' you in chat last night. How are you doing today?

Hopefully you can get an earlier doctor appointment instead of waiting another week.

Nancy
Unread 09-29-2010, 11:05 AM   #12
tlg

MissSurvivor: I am on it for chronic pain as well as I'm an addict, so my doctor and I are trying to find me a comfortable dose for pain as well as not having cravings and all the other awesome stuff Suboxone helps with!

Nancy: I really enjoyed chat last night, and it's nice being able to be at home with my family and able to be continuing "my recovery program" while at home. I got lucky and got an appt. for tomorrow morning at 11:15 and am SO happy I was able to get in.

Thank you all for your posts! I will keep everyone updated with the doctor status!
Unread 09-29-2010, 11:35 AM   #13
MissSurvivor

People usually dose frequently throughout the day but in small mg's.. say 2mg 4-5x a day for pain management. I hope you get everything worked out and the vomiting subsides.
Unread 09-29-2010, 12:13 PM   #14
tlg

Before I was put on the 8mg and 8mg, I was doing smaller doses thru out the day, but when I was still having pain, we decided to try the 8 and 8, which for the past 2 months has worked for me. I am also not working anymore tho, so I think b/c I am basically in charge of my physical activity thru out the day now, maybe that's why the 2 large doses are working well in place of smaller doses. I will be talking to her next month about the dosing tho b/c I will be helping out with some dog bathing during Thanksgiving and Xmas time, and maybe it would be a good idea to do my 8mg in the morning like usual and then going back to 4mg afternoon and 4mg evening?!
Unread 09-29-2010, 12:17 PM   #15
monsterkitty

hi tlg; are you a female? it sounds like early pregnancy to me. i vomited all the time the first few months, plus i would become dizzy and almost pass out. one time i did fall to the floor in a complete blackout.

good luck finding out what it is. you have been on the sub for a while, so it would be really odd if it was the sub.
monsterkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2010, 01:19 PM   #16
tlg

Yes I am a female, but not preg. I have a daughter so I remember what it's like and it's just not possible that I could be pregnant right now, but thanks!
Unread 09-29-2010, 03:37 PM   #17
NancyB
Administrator

Hi tlg, that's great that you can go to the doctor tomorrow. Really beats waiting another week. Think about writing everything down that you want to ask so nothing slips your mind when you're there. I think it makes it easier than trying to remember it all. lol

Good luck tomorrow! I hope you get some answers.

Nancy
Unread 10-01-2010, 03:09 PM   #18
tlg

Well, after going to the doctor yesterday and starting the meds she put me on, I was finally able to eat, not to mention I had a great day because of a lot of other good things that happened, and it was so awesome!

NOW...since this morning, I have felt sick to my stomach. Thing I did when I got up was take my Promethazine, and gave that some time to kick in before taking anything else. In the past 1 1/2 hours I have vomited twice, and this last time, my nose ended up bleeding because I don't really have anything but water in me, yet I still felt the need to vomit. I am about to make some soup and try and eat because at the moment, my stomach feels ok. BUT the biggest thing that is getting to me now, besides the vomiting in which I am still hoping will resolve in the next couple days once i've been on the medication, is that I haven't been able to consistantly take my depression meds in a week! Last night, I could tell how grumpy and short I was with everything and everyone. I was trying to take them, but then I would throw them up. I really want to take them today and get back on track, so I am hoping if I eat right now while my stomach is ok, I will be able to take my depression meds and then maybe the rest of the day I will feel ok.
I am just getting REALLY tired of it all, and my depression is just starting to creep up on me, and I just dunno what to do right now. If I don't start to feel better by Mon, and DEF. if I start to get worse, I am going to call the doctor and try and get back in, but in the mean time, what should I do? I know she said it's gonna take about 6 weeks for my GI tract to heal, but I thought especially after the good day I had yesterday, I would at least be able to start eating and feeling better?!?!
Unread 11-21-2010, 06:33 PM   #19
tlg

So, I went on Friday to get the Barium Swallow done...
I had such a hard time drinking the crap and not vomiting after...but I was able to get thru it. The lady was nice enough to put some strawberry Nesquick in it, which didn't help much but it was better the it would've been without! She told me it takes about 24 hours for the doctor to get the results, so by Mon, I should be able to go in for a follow up. I called my doctor to make an appointment, and just my luck, she's out until Dec 1! I was a little pissed to say the least, and I guess I don't have a right to be, b/c doctors are people too, and I'm sure she is going to spend time with her family somewhere for the holiday, but she didn't tell me this. So I went ahead and made an appt for Dec 1st, but I'm a lil bummed out b/c not only am I worried that once Thanksgiving rolls around, I wont be able to enjoy all the awesome food we'll have in fear of vomiting, but I also need refills on my meds! I am hoping that she has another doctor looking over her cases while she's out tho. I am going to call Monday, so I can try and get it all worked out medication wise HOPEFULLY before Thanksgiving, but I called the pharmacy to get the rest of my refill on one of the meds, and they were clueless on what I was trying to explain to them, and then said they probably couldn't get it until Monday at the earliest, but it's also an OTC medication, so I can go buy it somewhere else!

So of course, today I start feeling bad, and I've vomited once already, on top of being sick with chest congestion, sore throat, and a horrible headache! I have way too much to do this week to let me not feeling good get the best of me! I am trying really hard to not let all of this get me down, because I can't change any of it, but I am having a bit of trouble keeping from being so annoyed with this lack of cusomer service I am getting. I really just hope I can get my medication refilled to get me thru until my appt, and then I will feel a little better about it all. The fact that all this vomiting started in April tho, and I am continuing to have to deal with it 7 months later tho is really starting to just bring me down.

Anyway, I just needed a place to vent. I know many people have it so much worse then me, but the fact that I am not feeling so hot already is just making things seem so much worse then they really are!

Hope everyone else is having a good weekend!
Thanks,
Trina
Unread 11-21-2010, 07:51 PM   #20
Ricanhavoc

Lightbulb Your Weekend, Trina

Trina,

I don't know what exactly is going on but I am sorry you are feeling bad. Even though I don't know you guys, I think it is important to at least send a kind word. It sounds like Suboxone is not your only problem or the addiction, I should say.

The one day I get here in time for chat I see we aren't chatting tonight. That is okay.

Trina, take care of yourself and I hope you feel better.

Cynthia
Ricanhavoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2010, 08:02 PM   #21
tlg

Thanks Cynthis, it's always nice for the kind thoughts and words, it doesn't matter how well or not well someone is known! I do have a list of other problems, but I am so thankful my addiction is in remission and undercontrol at this time!

Sorry you missed chat! It's not often that Nancy has to take a little time off for her own personal life...but sorry it happened when you would've been able to make it Hope next time you can try and stop by!

Thanks again for the well wishes!
Trina
Unread 11-21-2010, 09:45 PM   #22
NancyB
Administrator

Hi Trina, so sorry to hear that the vomiting is back. I would imagine your doctor has a back-up for her, so please try not to worry about the refills. I can't imagine it would be a problem.

I hope that you start feeling better in time to be able to enjoy all the good stuff at Thanksgiving. Let us know how you make out with getting your refills. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Nancy
Unread 12-02-2010, 12:06 AM   #23
tlg

Well, mnot really any answers at my appointment today. The barium swallow seemed normal, except the radiologist who reviewed the test reccomended me having an Upper Gi Fluoroscopy to evaluate my duodenum (the first section of the small intestines and connects to the stomach). This study evaluates for ulcers, strictures, certain tumors, reflux, and motility disorders in the esophagus and stomach. The barium swallow wasn't able to give them what they needed to tell what/if something is going on there.

SO...I made an appointment for next Fri (Dec 10th) in the morning to have this done, and will go in sometime the following week for a follow up with the doctor to review what the test says. I can't eat, drink, smoke, or take any meds after midnight Thursday (which is not gonna make me a happy camper!) So, until then I will continue taking the Omeprazole and Promethazine since it seems to be helping with the symptoms.

I tried not to get my hopes up for today b/c something told me I wouldn't have any answers, but I left kinda upset. It's been since April I have been dealing with this and I am just ready to know what is going on. I guess we have POSSIBLY narrowed it down to where the problem could be and what. I am also kinda nervous because of what the possible things it could be, but not even sure that the duodenum is even the problem?!

Just wanted to give an update. I can talk about it a bit more in chat tomorrow night. It'll give me a chance to sleep on it and hopefully wake up not so depressed with my lack of answers.
Trina
Unread 12-02-2010, 06:20 AM   #24
NancyB
Administrator

Hi Trina, sorry to hear you didn't get any answers and have to go through yet another test. But, you are ruling things out. I know it's easier for me to say, but try to relax and just keep going through whatever you need to so that you can find the answer.

But please don't get discouraged. I'm glad they keep looking for answers though and aren't brushing you off as I've seen some doctors do.

We'll talk more tonight.

Nancy