Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 12-23-2014, 08:25 PM   #1
prudence 25

Default Husband hiding bottles around the house

For years I've been finding whiskey bottles hidden around the house from my husband. The times I have confronted him I have tried to do so in an unaccusing, non confrontational way. Still he always gets very defensive and insists he doesn't have a problem. So I ignored and denied the problem for a long time. It was easy to ignore since my husband never acted drunk and never got mean or violent. But the more I'm learning, the more I realize that I can't ignore the problem anymore. The problem now is that I think I'm codependent and I don't want to do anything to make his problem worse. What is the right thing to do or say? Should I confront him again? Should I go behind his back and tell his parents or someone else? I feel like nothing I say to him will make any difference and it would need to come from someone else. His dad is an alcoholic in recovery, but his parents gossip a lot about his siblings and I don't want this to be something everyone knows about. I feel like his family would be more judgemental than encouraging. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I have no idea where to begin.
prudence 25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2014, 04:25 PM   #2
R. Lee

prudence 25, Welcome to the site. I speak as a recovering alcoholic.

Your husband is acting like a alcoholic when he denies that he has a problem. That is what we do when alcohol is more important than anything else in our lives.

Unless he wants to stop drinking for himself no amount of harping on your part will do any good. Getting others involved is not going to help either.

There are things you can do for yourself. Stop being codependent. Try a AlAnon meeting. They are for family of the alcoholic. They can answer some of your questions.

Keep coming back & let us know how you are doing.
R. Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Say Thank You to R. Lee For This Useful Post:
Thank You (12-27-2014), Thank You (12-24-2014)
Unread 12-29-2014, 05:48 PM   #3
Zoobie

Know that you didnt cause it. You can't control it nor cure it. Try a few Al-anon meetings for a few wks. They will give you the tools that all of along the side of the addict need to have. And you never know, he may see you getting stronger and decide that he needs to get to work on the problem.
Zoobie is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Users Say Thank You to Zoobie For This Useful Post:
Thank You (12-29-2014), Thank You (12-29-2014), Thank You (12-30-2014)