Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 07-05-2014, 01:50 PM   #1
Sestra

Smile I'll be here to listen.

My very first post is under "An entire family of addicts" & it took me a couple of hours to put that together. I wanted to say, sorry it's such a long read, but it's just there to get a better idea of what I personally have gone through. That was basically my story, introducing myself & my dilemmas.

But now that's out of the way, I'd like to express my compassion to you.

My relationship with most of my family is pretty much on a non-speaking basis, & it's very painful. I can now only express my sorrow & understanding toward other people who suffer these things, & we can be supportive to each other, even though we're strangers.

I don't wish to discuss only my problems, as they are completely out of my control, & it's mostly just emotional pain I go through. I feel much better about my situation whenever I can express my understanding & similar situations with others who are either going through what I have, or have in the past. I like to be constructive in any way I can, to help others know they are not alone. I find it very therapeutic.

I'm new here, but I know what it feels like; sometimes I feel so alone, regarding what I've gone through, & am going through. But I know it isn't so. We may have our lives in separate homes, separate families scattered all over the world, but we can connect heart-to-heart.

If you read my post about my family, does it have any resemblance to your situation? If so, let's talk. Even if it has no resemblance, no worries! We can still talk. I'm just letting you know, I'll be here to listen too. And thank you so much for listening. We can overcome this pain together. One day at a time. Please don't give up hope.
Sestra is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2014, 03:52 PM   #2
R. Lee

Sestra, Your sobriety is in solid ground & you would be very helpful to the new person who is coming here to see what they can do about their drinking.

You do not have to say you are sorry for posting such a long post. I was able to see where you were in you sobriety & respond. Your story was from the heart. That is what we need to hear.

Try posting on the Treatment support ( for the alcohol dependent person).
R. Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to R. Lee For This Useful Post:
Thank You (07-06-2014)
Unread 07-05-2014, 09:34 PM   #3
Sestra

Default I'm not sure exactly where I fit in...

Quote:
Originally Posted by R. Lee View Post

Try posting on the Treatment support ( for the alcohol dependent person).
I'm still new to these forums. I myself, am not an alcoholic, but I was addicted to prescribed pain medication. I'm not sure if I'd fit in the dependents of alcoholics, but I can definitely relate to the people whose families or friends are alcoholics. Or is that what that means? Dependents are the people who live with alcoholics, or does that mean those people depend on alcohol? I'm sorry, I'm not sure.

Should I repost this in the dependents of opiates? What do you think would be more fitting for this post? Any input is welcome. I guess I'm looking for support in both, I have posted my story in Family & Friends section of both the alcohol forums & opiate addiction.

I think my issues mostly revolve around my family, who are mostly drinkers, & a sister who is addicted to pills. It's difficult to know where to narrow it down.
Sestra is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to Sestra For This Useful Post:
Thank You (07-06-2014)
Unread 07-05-2014, 10:04 PM   #4
R. Lee

Sestra, I understand. I would suggest posting here & on dependents of opiates & I would use your 1st long post. It tells your story.

You can see 17 people read your post. So many want to say something but are afraid to take that 1st. step.

My best to you in your sobriety. R. Lee
R. Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Users Say Thank You to R. Lee For This Useful Post:
Thank You (07-06-2014), Thank You (07-06-2014), Thank You (07-05-2014)