Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 05-13-2015, 09:53 PM   #1
R. Lee

Default My mothers poodle Emma

My 95 year old mother went into a nursing home last July. She had a 7 year old 7 pound Toy Poodle named Emma. We promised to care for Emma & mom should not worry about her. I have taken Emma to the nursing home just about every visit.
Tonight Cindy was letting Emma out to take care of business & she ran off & was struck by a truck killing Emma instantly.
Soon I will have to tell my mother that Emma died in her sleep.My heart aches for my Cindy who blames herself, Emma & my poor mother.
I have not wanted to drink so far. But I do want to crawl up in a ball & get away for a while.
Yes sometimes life just SUCKS. I have to remember bigger things going on in life. The earthquakes in Nepal (one was not enough) The Amtrak wreck in Philly, The Marine chopper missing on a rescue mission in Nepal.
Yes Shit happens.
R. Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2015, 10:50 PM   #2
lostdog

R. Lee it is so sad and things happen. I am so sorry. It is ok, and your things in life are as important as any one elses. Big hug and I luv dogs as my name suggests, so I feel the depth of your pain very much. Bless you, Cindy,your mom, and little Emma.
lostdog is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to lostdog For This Useful Post:
Thank You (05-14-2015)
Unread 05-13-2015, 11:32 PM   #3
gmasusie

RLee,

My heart goes out to you. I remember similar complications with my mom, M-in-law and aunts. Make Cindy quote the Serenity Prayer to you. She will need lots of reassurance. My husband is deteriorating quickly, so I don't have much time now. I will keep you in my thoughts and check in when I can.

Much love and empathy, Susie
gmasusie is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to gmasusie For This Useful Post:
Thank You (05-14-2015)
Unread 05-14-2015, 12:20 AM   #4
Millie

Oh, RLee, I'm so very, very sorry. I don't even know what to say. Huge amounts of love to you.
Millie is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to Millie For This Useful Post:
Thank You (05-14-2015)
Unread 05-14-2015, 01:19 AM   #5
Saint

I am so sorry Rlee.... for all concerned.

Saint
Saint is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to Saint For This Useful Post:
Thank You (05-14-2015)
Unread 05-14-2015, 07:31 AM   #6
Tryntryagain

Dearest R Lee.

I am so very sorry that such a turn of events have happened. Be there for Cindy. We are no use to anyone drinking.

My heart goes out to you.

Loveness to you R Lee
Tryntryagain is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to Tryntryagain For This Useful Post:
Thank You (05-14-2015)
Unread 05-14-2015, 07:40 AM   #7
NancyB
Administrator

Hi R. Lee, I'm so sorry. As you said, shit happens. All we can do is the best we can in dealing with it. Please take care of yourself, Cindy and your mom.

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to NancyB For This Useful Post:
Thank You (05-14-2015)
Unread 05-14-2015, 09:25 AM   #8
Alexis

sending you love and peace R Lee <3 xx
Alexis is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to Alexis For This Useful Post:
Thank You (05-14-2015)
Unread 05-14-2015, 10:16 AM   #9
jenm

Oh R Lee I will pray for you all! It is NOT Cindy's fault. Our animals are our fur babies and we come to love them so very much, but they have their time as we all do.

I'm so sorry for your pain. It is difficult to put it into perspective, and you did just that with all the terrible events and sin going on in this world. Praise the Lord it was not something worse. You can, and will, get through this. Love, Jenm
jenm is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to jenm For This Useful Post:
Thank You (05-14-2015)
Unread 05-14-2015, 10:56 AM   #10
iamtrying

This is sad, I am so sorry for all this, I think somethings are not in our control, just take and live by things that happen. Greatly appreciate you taking care of the puppy and taking it to your mother for every visit. It is going to be hard for your mother and for everyone around there.

I think it's Ok to feel bad and even cry, that will make us feel better. You know all this RLee but I would re-iterate take one moment at a time. As time passes things will be alright. Alcohol knows no language, no mercy, no event, and no time that you have been sober. Urge can strike anytime anywhere, thinking thru all the situations help. stay strong.

Agree, I always wonder what those 7 people ate for lunch or dinner, what were they thinking, what did they say to their families, before they were wiped in a blink in recent train accident.

Your family in my thoughts and prayers.
iamtrying is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to iamtrying For This Useful Post:
Thank You (05-14-2015)
Unread 05-14-2015, 11:09 AM   #11
Sam Bailey

Hey RLee,

So damn sorry for this tragic event, cause, really, to most pet owners, the death of a beloved pet IS a tragedy---especially in an accident. For the moment, all is well then, in an eyeblink, it is not.

In an instant one's life changes, shaken and sometimes shattered---just a real crappy deal.

I'm especially sorry that you're experiencing this now, yet one more challenge to you and your family.

RLee? Of all people, you know that adding more darkness to this nightmare will do nothing but make your life, and the lives of those you love, even darker.

Tragedy added to tragedy yields---just more tragedy.

You DO know this, of course. Yet in this lousy time of heartache and sadness, when there really is little you can do to make life right again, you, like all of us, might could use a loving reminder, brought to us by a good and wise man we all know.

He tells us, "Think through that first drink."

I know you will.

Bless you, friend.

So damn sorry.

sam
Sam Bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to Sam Bailey For This Useful Post:
Thank You (05-14-2015)
Unread 05-14-2015, 11:27 AM   #12
R. Lee

Thanks everyone. It is my mother & Cindy that my heart aches for.

We take my mother to the dentist today. I will not tell her yet. She always asks when we do not bring Emma "how is my pup?" In due time I will tell her Emma just died in her sleep.

Yes bad timing but it is what it is.
One User Says Thank You to R. Lee For This Useful Post:
Thank You (05-14-2015)
Unread 05-14-2015, 03:44 PM   #13
Millie

My heart hurts for you, R.Lee. Delivering bad news can be just as bad as hearing it. The fact that you feel bad for your mom and Cindy shows what a wonderful person you are.
Millie is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to Millie For This Useful Post:
Thank You (05-14-2015)
Unread 05-14-2015, 10:30 PM   #14
R. Lee

Thanks again everyone. When we got out of the dentist. I sat in the car held her hands & told her about Emma dying in her sleep. It went as well as could be expected.

You all are so kind. See us alcoholics are not bad people. We have a disease called alcoholism. We are loving & care for others.
5 Users Say Thank You to R. Lee For This Useful Post:
Thank You (05-15-2015), Thank You (05-15-2015), Thank You (05-15-2015), Thank You (05-15-2015), Thank You (05-18-2015)
Unread 05-15-2015, 06:08 AM   #15
Alexis

Oh R Lee, im sorry it hurt you to tell you mum, i hope you and your mum are as ok as you can be. I will be thinking of you both today xx
Alexis is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Say Thank You to Alexis For This Useful Post:
Thank You (05-15-2015), Thank You (05-15-2015)
Unread 05-15-2015, 08:48 AM   #16
Catfish

I'm so very, very sorry, R. Lee. So sorry. Xxxx
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to Catfish For This Useful Post:
Thank You (05-15-2015)
Unread 05-17-2015, 01:31 PM   #17
iamtrying

RLee...hope things went well...be strong...thinking about you and your family...
iamtrying is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to iamtrying For This Useful Post:
Thank You (05-17-2015)
Unread 05-18-2015, 09:43 AM   #18
Tryntryagain

Good afternoon R Lee. Bright blessings to you.

I have known you long enough to simply say, Hugs and strength to you dearest R Lee. If you can catch this cuddle...give it to mum.

Loveness to you dear R Lee
Thank You (05-18-2015)
Unread 05-31-2015, 06:57 AM   #19
Tryntryagain

Good morning dear R Lee. Bright blessings to you.

I do not wish to re-upset you, but i have not forgotten about Emma and the terrible dilemma and hurt you were experiencing and trying to navigate.

I hope the outcome was manageable.

If any one can attain that...it is you.

Always in my daily thoughts,

Be peaceful, be healthy and be strong. Loveness to you dear R Lee
Thank You (05-31-2015)
Unread 05-31-2015, 01:40 PM   #20
R. Lee

Tryn, Emma & the terrible dilemma. What a poem! Made me laugh.

Mom mentions Emma every time we see her. Driving down our street yesterday I visioned Emma running into the street & getting hit. Time will heal.

Thanks for you kind thoughts. Hugs!
Unread 05-31-2015, 10:47 PM   #21
gmasusie

Grief is still grief, whether it is a friend, a loved one, a pet. Time does heal.
gmasusie is offline   Reply With Quote