Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 09-30-2008, 02:16 PM   #1
CarlyO

Default Links to get you started ....

To all of the new people who have signed on recently, again Welcome and glad you are here !

I copied a few links that are available on this site that may be of interest to you. My suggestion is to always read and research as much as you can. If your family /loved ones have questions there are great resources for them as well.
I hope this helps and that you all are doing well. Also if you have any specific questions - please feel free to ask and we will do our best to find some answers for you. Carly

Below is the link for the Physician, treatment and counseling locator. Just enter your zip code and you are able to see a list of providers in your area based on the zip code you enter .
This is a great tool on this forum, it is super easy to use, totally confidential, and although not all providers may be listed, it is a way to at least get an idea of what is in your area. You can also do a general search on the internet /local phone book.

It may take time to find the right fit for you as far as support. The important thing to remember is that you are the client. If you have tried a particular counselor , doctor or group, do not give up, keep trying until you find what you are looking for. The important thing is to have support that you feel comfortable with.

Treatment locator : Physicians, counselors and treatment facilities..

http://www.alcoholanswers.org/local/

Below is a list of the various support groups that are available and how to find one near you. There is now much more than traditional AA, there are many types of support groups out there.

http://www.alcoholanswers.org/resour...port-links.cfm

Link to medication assisted treatment options... this can be an invaluable tool to help with cravings.

http://www.alcoholanswers.org/treatm...-treatment.cfm

Information for your family ....
Education for your family/loved ones can be vital to their understanding of what you are facing and trying to accomplish.
Below is the link to the information and other resources on the site that may help them.

http://www.alcoholanswers.org/friends-family/

For even more information and resources click on any of the links on the right hand side or at the top of the page.
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
CarlyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2009, 08:52 PM   #2
CarlyO

Bumping this thread in case new members need the info.

The site has much much more info and educational material , links than what I have posted, also - links are to the Right side of this page, just click and go : )
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
Unread 04-16-2009, 05:26 PM   #3
CarlyO

Default More Links

Hi All,

I needed to bump this thread and I added more links to get you started.
Carly

Do I need Help - self assessment /questionaire .....

http://www.alcoholanswers.org/alcoho...-need-help.cfm

http://rethinkingdrinking.niaaa.nih....ourPattern.asp

Alcohol Withdrawals and other Info ....

http://www.alcoholanswers.org/alcoho...estions.cfm#15
One User Says Thank You to CarlyO For This Useful Post:
Thank You (04-16-2009)
Unread 07-01-2009, 12:04 AM   #4
CarlyO

Hi all,

I am just bumping this thread for new people : )
C.
Thank You (07-01-2009)
Unread 08-11-2009, 02:17 PM   #5
CarlyO

Bumping this ....

For anyone out there reading, this is an annonymous forum, please feel free to share, vent, ask questions...
Hope you will give the forum a try : ) C.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>
"If you share your pain you cut it in half, if you don't you double it."
( unknown)

"Change only happens when the pain of holding on is greater than the fear of letting go."

Forget past mistakes. Forget failures. Forget about everything except what you're going to do now - and do it.
- William Durant

Fear is only as deep as the mind allows.
- Japanese proverb
Unread 10-13-2009, 12:19 PM   #6
CarlyO

Bumping this again.

It has been quiet around here lately. If anyone is out there reading, wondering if you have an issue with your alcohol intake, try taking the self -assessment, ask questions, go ahead and post, give us a try. This is an anonymous forum with great supportive members ! There is a variety of well-established options to overcome alcoholism, sometimes it takes a few tries to find what is a good for you, the important thing is to take action. No better time than the present.

Take care, Carly : )
Thank You (01-08-2016)
Unread 12-17-2009, 09:13 PM   #7
Magda

For all the new members, please do not fear posting here. We all have been where you are, we have felt your pain and hopelessness.
There is a better way, and may you find help here to get you started.
Magda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2013, 09:49 PM   #8
Recovery from addictions

Thanks for the information. I just cannot get enough when it comes to recovery.
Recovery from addictions is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2016, 05:25 AM   #9
NancyB
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulietsJewels View Post
I did the same thing ! I recently quit drinking but found myself miserable ! Although I too had a bad liver report - which scared the hell outta me ...I figured might as well give into it and die buzzed ...or drunk- usually drunk . Anyway I decided to leave my abusive husband last week and haven't craved a drink yet ...I really and truly wanna quit for good ! I'm tired of waking up sick and feeling even more depressed ...well I'm here again - this time I hope for Good !
Hi JulietsJewels, I copied your post to your thread so more people would see it. The posts in this thread are over a year old.

http://www.addictionsurvivors.org/vb...ad.php?t=30205

Nancy
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2016, 06:22 PM   #10
melonina

Hey everyone, I wanted to write this as this might help someone. I, myself had big issues with alcohol for almost 4 years and getting out of that lifestyle was difficult as hell for me.
I remember when I decided to quit drinking I didn't know how to live without the substance anymore. It seems to me now that everything I did in my free time used to involve alcohol. The tricks I used were a bit childish from my perspective, but it worked for me.

If you drink at home, I suggest giving away all the bottles you still have to your friends/relatives or homeless people, whoever you choose. Or just simply throw it away. But make sure that you wouldn't take it out of the garbage. I poured all the alcohol I had into the sink, so I wouldn't be tempted.
If you tend to drink when you get back home after work or at certain times, make sure you are busy doing something when the time comes. I signed up to yoga classes, so it kept me away from home and old habits every other day. When there was nicer weather, I drove to the sea and had long walks on the beach. I'm quite a responsible person, so I know that I won't drink if I have to drive. It made me stay away from shops or pubs. If you're taking someone for a drive, make sure that the person knows that you're quitting. Or take a friend without driving's licence. It will make you feel a bit more responsible.
If you're going out and you know that you'll be tempted to have a drink or two, take a friend with you who doesn't drink. Or drink fizzy drinks. It will fill you up and give you some energy from sugars...
Make a list of things which you really want to do but can never find money for it. It can be simple as buying a new pair of shoes, bike, etc. or big things like going to Spain or Disneyland. Print the pictures ofthe things you want and put them everywhere, especially the places where you used to drink like in front of TV, etc. And then put the amount of money which you used to spend on alcohol in a piggy bank every day. The list will keep you motivated and you will get a prize in the end! That's how I found out that I actually love traveling.
Oh and I heard that going to the sauna 3 days in row helps you get rid of a fair amount of toxins from the alcohol through sweat. And it becomes slightly easier to quit.

I hope that any of the suggestions above will help anyone xx
melonina is offline   Reply With Quote