Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 06-23-2015, 10:20 AM   #1
lifesaver

Default Urgent: Baclofen in Boston ?

Hi all,
I'm desperate to find someone to prescribe Baclofen in Boston. It's really urgent for a family member who thinks this is the only way to heal AND try to keep his job and his life together.
Any pointer would be useful.
Many thanks in advance.
lifesaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2015, 11:01 AM   #2
R. Lee

lifesaver, welcome to the site. Sorry I have no information on your questions about Baclofen.
R. Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to R. Lee For This Useful Post:
Thank You (06-23-2015)
Unread 06-23-2015, 04:23 PM   #3
nan

Hello lifesaver, Sounds like the person is ready to do the work necessary for recovery! That is great! I spoke with a health center in Boston and he gave me reference to:

St. Elizabeth Hospital - 617-789-3000
Mount Auburn Hospital -617-492-3500
Brigham and Women's Faulkner Hospital -617-983-7000

He also suggested that one call the insurance customer service and make inquiries.

You both need to read the educational material to have a complete understanding of the disease of addiction. There is lots more to recovery than just "taking a pill". It is wonderful that there is medication-assisted treatment available but it needs to be used in conjunction with counseling/therapy/group meetings, etc. No easy fixes, but when a patient works a recovery plan there can be success.

Let us know how it goes and if any of the medical centers will work out. Good luck!

nan
nan is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to nan For This Useful Post:
Thank You (06-24-2015)
Unread 06-25-2015, 11:23 AM   #4
lifesaver

Thank you for your reply nan, I appreciate your help but I'm specifically looking for a Baclofen treatment. These hospitals don't use it.
Thanks a lot.
Unread 06-25-2015, 12:51 PM   #5
NancyB
Administrator

Hi lifesaver, have you tried looking up addiction psychiatrists and 'cold calling'? The problem with it is that Baclofen is not FDA approved for alcohol dependence, so it may be tricky trying to find a doctor willing to do that. And if your family member has insurance, insurance does not have to pay for any medication used off-label. Here's a list from Psychology Today:
https://psychiatrists.psychologytoda...oston&spec=248

One place that you might try is McLean Hospital in Belmont. Dr. Bodkin from there did a study using a medication for opioid addiction off label for depression, so I would think it's worth a call since he seems to be more cutting edge than some doctors.
http://www.mcleanhospital.org/biography/j-bodkin
Or perhaps he or the staff there may know of someone. That would be, in my opinion, a good place to start.

I hope that's helpful.

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2015, 10:46 AM   #6
lifesaver

Thank you very much NancyB. That's very helpful. I'll give it a try and let you know if I'm successful.
Have a good day.
2 Users Say Thank You to lifesaver For This Useful Post:
Thank You (06-26-2015), Thank You (06-26-2015)