Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 12-10-2009, 11:15 AM   #1
gina2448

Default nausea and anxiety

My son just started generic subutex. First day 10mgs, second day 8, today, start at 4 and work up. He felt nauseous and anxiety ridden each day so far so wants to cut back. I so want this to work that I don't want him to have a reason to give up. Also, he is suddenly realizing that his relationships have suffered and he feels very alone. He is a very private person anyway so had put all his eggs in one basket, his gf who is not very supportive. He is not public enough to go to meetings or groups but he is spiritual so that might help. He wants me to be his best friend right now but I work full time. Just need to slow him down. His impatience gets him in a lot of trouble. Keep those prayers coming. thanks
gina2448 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2009, 11:24 AM   #2
obef

Hi Gina:

Glad to see that your son has begun sub.

How long has he been taking it. It sounds to me like withdrawal. I am not speaking for everyone, but I noticed this would happen to me. The physical parts would be taken care of, but I would still be highly emotional and somewhat anxious the first few days and not comfortable at all. Unfortunately, I have done induction too many times. More sub seemed to work for me to a degree but as with everything else, time was the best cure. Usually a week or so.

robin
obef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2009, 11:25 AM   #3
NancyB
Administrator

Hi gina, he has to stay on the same amount of bupe each day to stabilize first before making such drastic cuts. The anxiety is probably being unmasked because he's not self-medicating now and dulling everything. The more the dose is fluctuated, the worse he will feel.

If he's that shy, meetings and groups aren't important right now. He needs to go to a therapist to work on getting his anxiety under control. Bupe is only to stop cravings and withdrawals. Nothing else. It is not a medication for anxiety, that must be treated separately.

I hope that he gets the help he so needs from a good therapist or psychiatrist.

You don't forget to take care of yourself too.

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2009, 11:25 AM   #4
nan

Hi gina2448-Glad to hear your son has started the subutex, but please do not fluctuate the doses-it is imperative to maintain a regular dose amount through the stabilization period. By changing the dose around he will not get regulated and then will think the subutex is not "working". It is very important not to mess around with the dosages.

There are many AA groups online and your son would probably profit from joining one of those for support since he feels like he cannot go to public meetings right now. Not only AA online but the other support groups also have online support so he can look into what would work for him. Just having subutex and you as his "best friend" is not going to get him over the hurdles.

Hope these thoughts help some, just imho.

Nan
nan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2009, 11:34 AM   #5
Sub-Zero

Quote:
Originally Posted by gina2448 View Post
My son just started generic subutex. First day 10mgs, second day 8, today, start at 4 and work up. He felt nauseous and anxiety ridden each day so far so wants to cut back. I so want this to work that I don't want him to have a reason to give up. Also, he is suddenly realizing that his relationships have suffered and he feels very alone. He is a very private person anyway so had put all his eggs in one basket, his gf who is not very supportive. He is not public enough to go to meetings or groups but he is spiritual so that might help. He wants me to be his best friend right now but I work full time. Just need to slow him down. His impatience gets him in a lot of trouble. Keep those prayers coming. thanks
Hi Gina,
Like the others have said he needs to stabilize on one dose. I would urge him to take 12mgs or more so the blocking effect is total. If he keeps decreasing his cravings will return and if he relapses the bupe might not be enough to block it. Get him stable at 12mgs for few months before thinking about decreasing. Some anxiety is normal, but is also a symptom of too low of a dose. Recovery for him is learning how to deal with his anxiety or getting treatment for it if its real bad. This is progress he's uncovered an issue and now needs to deal with it, but decreasing his dose and reintroducing cravings and withdrawal isn't going to help him at all.
Sub
Sub-Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2009, 11:35 AM   #6
toms

At such an early stage, any ill effects are likely from withdrawal. Starting suboxone is not a magic bullet and most experience many physical and mental disruptions for a good while. My suggestion would be for your son to get active on the site, you cannot do it for him. While it is not necessary to do everything at once, isolating will be detrimental. None of us can live in a vacuum and the ability to interact with people and to perform in groups is crucial to success in today's society. Besides providing tools that can save an addict's life, 12-step groups provide an environment of supportive people not found elsewhere.
toms is offline   Reply With Quote