Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 08-15-2006, 04:49 AM   #1
sparkles3331

Default Pregnancy and Suboxone

I am a 24 year old mother to a beautiful healthy 7 month old baby boy. Suboxone is a category c drug classifaction when it comes to pregnancy. Which means that it is unknown what the effects may be on the fetus since little or no adequte studies have been done. I'm going to tell my story and experience while being pregnant on sub in hopes of easing some worried minds. I started sub on setember 7, 2004, which is also the day I got sober. I was not considering getting pregnant, but in May of 2005, my husband and I found out I was pregnant. My husband is not an addict and was very nervous about me being on suboxone. I was on 16 mg of suboxone and very worried about being on sub and pregnant. My OB/GYN was aware of me being on this medication, but of course, was not familiar with it. After consulting with my doctor who prescribes suboxone, we decided I would stay on it but drop down to an 8 mg/day dose, which I started in June. Might I add, I never felt the difference....did'nt withdrawl at the slightest. By that point I was 2 months pregnant. As the months went by, my pregnancy progessed perfectly although I was still very worried about my baby while being on sub. So at about 5 months I slowly weaned myself down to 4mg/day. I did this slowly over about 2 months as to not withdrawl which could cause my child to be uncomfortable and possibly miscarry. My pregnancy could not have been going more perfectly; I was measureing correctly and the sonogram showed everything to be the way it should be. At about 8 months I took it upon my self again, to slowly wean down to 2 mg/day. I did this because if my baby did experience any withdrawls after birth, it would be minimal because of the low dose. I also was concerned about the epidural being ineffective. I still did not withdraw at all but I did notice one change. At about 23-24 hours after I took my last dose I would feel very tired and my nose would run a little and then I knew it was time to take my next dose. Prior to weaning down to 2mg/day, I could go well over 24 hours before experienceing any early signs of withdrawl. I was scheduled to be induced, which I elected, at 40 weeks, on Jan 3, 2006. Boy was I as nervous as ever. I took my last dose at 2am, Jan 2. I arrived at the hospital at 2:30 am January 3, to start my induction. They took my whole history and then asked if I was on any mediactions. I told them I was on 2mg/daily of suboxone. Of course, they did'nt know a thing about it. I think I was the hospital's first patient giving birth while taking suboxone. I was'nt expecting that since I was giving birth at Magee Woman's Hospital in Pittsburgh, which is a decent size city and a very popular hospital for giving birth. My labor was progressing perfectly and at 6am, when my docotr arrived, he broke my water. Not a second after he left did I start having the most pain I ever felt.....contractions. (I was contracting before then, but the pain was minimal) My doctor said I could receive the epidural any time I wanted too. I tried to deal with the pain as long as I could...and about 15 minutes later, I elected to get my epidural. I was 4 cm, 100% effaced and the head had been engaged since 36 weeks. The epidural was a dream come true and went very well. I will say that I did need a little bit more medication than the average woman. At about 12:00 pm, my son was ready to come out and meet the world. I pushed for 20 minutes and there he came. A perfectly healthy boy weighing 7 lbs, 3 oz and 19 3/4 in. His apgar scores where 9 at 1 minute and 9 at 5 minutes. They did examine him just a little longer due to me being on sub and him possibly withdrawling. They handed him back into my arms for his first feeding (I decided to formula feed due to sub being excreted in breatmilk)and that went down without a hitch. I could'nt of asked for a better pregnancy, delivery, or baby. It was hard to imagine how uncomplicated these 9 months were. I can't tell you enough just how easy my pregnancy and delivery really was. About an hour later, they moved me up to my room. I was put on a special floor, for high risk babies and mothers, but I was just glad my son did'nt have to go in the NICU. I stayed for 48 hours and my son stayed an extra day due to observation. They closely monitored him every hour. I just want to add they let him stay in my room as long I wanted and do all the normal things I would do if I was on the regular floor, the only thing different was that a nurse came by every hour to give him his finnigan score, which is a rateing scale, used to detect the severity of withdrawl, if any. My son did not withdraw at all and needed no medications. He was released at 2:00pm the the 3rd day. He was perfect. I had a beautiful experience in labor and delvery but once I got upstairs to the recovery rooms, it was terrible. The staff and doctors were very judgemental and rude. They had no experience or education about suboxone. One after another, doctors would come in asking questions about sub and luckly, I had done tons of research and knew practically everthing there is to know about suboxone. I told the staff everything there was to know about suboxone. Though I had a rough experience from the nurses and doctors, I am glad that I was the first patient to pave the way for many others to come. Now the doctors have an understanding for suboxone. Though there will always be a stigma against addicts, suboxone has changed my life. I am still sober today and have a beautiful son who is very advanced both physically and developmentally, and as healthy as one could be. He is in the 100th percentile for height and 85th percentile for weight. He is crawling, standing, cruising, drinking from a sippy cup and even says our dogs name! For those of you who are pregnant and on suboxone, or for those of you considering, I hope this eases any concerns or anxieties. This was my experience, and I'm not saying that yours will be the same, I'm just telling my story since there is hardly any information about suboxone and pregnancy. Good Luck and feel free to email me with any questions
sparkles3331 is offline   Reply With Quote
4 Users Say Thank You to sparkles3331 For This Useful Post:
Thank You (03-02-2012), Thank You (09-18-2010), Thank You (03-18-2013), Thank You (12-09-2012)
Unread 08-15-2006, 01:42 PM   #2
NancyB
Administrator

sparkles3331, Welcome and I'd thank to congratulate you on your new addition!
Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us and your willingness to help others, it's really appreciated.
Nancy
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2006, 01:49 PM   #3
Jaywalker

What a wonderful, life affirming post!!

Thanks Sparkles!

Jay
Jaywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2006, 12:08 AM   #4
deniese

Sparkles, wow, what an inspiring story, and how kind of you to share it.. I am sure that you will help many. Congratulations on that beautiful baby, and give him a kiss for me. Deniese
deniese is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2006, 08:55 PM   #5
Mary

Hey sparkles3331, That's a great story. Congratulations on your little boy! -Mary
Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2008, 08:27 AM   #6
rsriverside

thank you; this has eased my mind to some extent
rsriverside is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2008, 08:58 AM   #7
aussiemommy

I'm so glad you posted this story, as I was just talking to my Bupe doc the other day about the possibility of L and I trying to conceive our 3rd. I feel a little better now!
aussiemommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2008, 12:28 PM   #8
spoint1
Way Cool Member

Sparkles, thank you for sharing your lovely story. I hope you are having a wonderful time with your babykins.
As a nurse and an addict, your story about the postpartum staff being rude and judgemental makes me sad. I tried to educate my coworkers while I was working on the maternity unit. One of their favorite prejudices was: she doesn't need any pain medicine because she's on methadone. I outed myself many times in those cases, struggling to get adequate pain relief for my patients on methadone. Sometimes I succeeded, and sometimes I failed.
I'm so sorry that you met these mean spirited judegmental nurses. I hope over time that medicine & nursing's prejudices go away. Each time one of we articulate educated junkies speaks up, I believe we ease a little ignorance.
spoint1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2008, 12:38 PM   #9
NancyB
Administrator

Here's more information on bupe and pregnancy:

http://www.naabt.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5185

Nancy
Unread 05-16-2008, 05:43 PM   #10
ladybugg

Thank you so much for sharing .. i am currently on Bup and preg. i def feel some sense of relief after hearing your experience. If anyone has any info or advice or anything for that matter on the topic please let me know... ive spent the last 5mos terribly worried. Thanks.
ladybugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2008, 05:53 PM   #11
okie

No need to worry!
I have a healthy almost 2 month old girl.
Was on sub the whole time, and before. She had no problems no wds nothing notable.
I am 36 so they did all sorts of testing and ultrasounds to make sure she was ok and again no problems..
If you have any questions please feel free to ask.
Michelle
okie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2008, 06:33 PM   #12
Ravenhex

This is a great post. I think a lot of pregnant women would benefit from reading it.
My story is similar except my experience is with using Sub while breastfeeding. I don't normally bring this up with people cause I don't want to hear people negative remarks but I'm sure I'm not the only women who has done this. See the day i found out I was pregnant I was taking about 40 lortab 10's a day (after a long 7 year battled with pain killer addiction). The day I went to the doctor and found out I was preggo was the day I went cold turkey off the pills and stayed clean the entire pregnancy. But my mistake is that I did it on self will, never went to meetings or counseling. So when I had an emergency C-section and almost died from hemorrhaging, my mind wasn't prepared to fight off my past demons. The next day my pain was so unbearable I didn't know what to do and couldn't care for my baby (who they wouldn't leave in the nursery at night) so they gave me percocets. Of course being in so much pain I didn't really enjoy any kind of high. But it was enough to set my addiction back in motion. I just didn't know it yet. I knew throughout my pregnancy that I wanted to breastfeed (come from a family of breastfeeding women) and the doctors and nurses told me that at low doses of pain medication it was safe to breastfeed. I had no problems what so ever, she was healthy and happy. But being a new mother all alone with this baby and not knowing what to do about anything along with horrible back pain from the pregnancy, it made the temptation to take pills overwhelming. I started taking pills when I no longer was in pain. Mind you i was taking about 3-4 a day and nothing like my past use. She still developed wonderfully. After a few months was in the 95th percentile, and was just perfect. But I noticed that even though i wasn't taking nearly as many pills as before when I tried to stop I'd go through horrible withdrawals (this disease truly is progressive). My baby was full into breastfeeding exclusively now and i didn't want to rip her away from that so I could go to a detox and I couldn't suffer withdrawals alone with her. So I talked to my doctor and got on Suboxone. If I went on and on about how it saved my life I'd be here all day. But the important part is that it was perfectly safe while breastfeeding my baby (at least in my experience). I exclusively breastfed for a year! Now I don't want to brag and i hate women who do brag about their kids but I'm only saying this to prove that taking the Sub had no ill effect on my daughter. She started walking at 9 months old, talking by 11 months. She has a vocabulary of about 40 words already (she is 14 months now). She knows 30 words in sign language, can say her ABC's and count to 10. She is very loving and affectionate and friendly to everyone she meets. She is healthy and beautiful and has only been sick one time with a cold in her entire 14 months of life. Even her pediatrician said that the benefits of breastfeeding far outweigh any potential risks of taking the SUB, plus such a small percentage even gets through to her it's almost nothing.
Now I don't know if I'm just lucky or what, but so many women are scared to take certain medications when breastfeeding when there is hardly any risk whatsoever. I just hope with my post some women will decide not to deprive their babies of the wondrous benefits of breastfeeding cause they are scared of what people might think. But of course talk everything over with your doctors before hand.
Thank you.
Unread 05-16-2008, 07:20 PM   #13
Sweet_Serenity

i was on on mmt and i wish i could have been on sub during my pregnancy, but i thought you couldnt, that they would not let you....i dunno.
Sweet_Serenity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2008, 05:26 PM   #14
ladybugg

Im am on 3 mgs of Subutex and 23 wks pregnant now.. i would like to try to breastfeed when i give birth but am nervous about it.. thanks for your post, makes me feel relieved. Were you on a hi or low dosage?
Unread 05-20-2008, 11:41 PM   #15
okie

I bottle fed. Not because of the sub, just personal preference.
I was up to 16 mgs a month or so before I had her, I used sub for pain towards the end(back problems were aggravated). But was on about 4mgs steady the last few weeks. She didnt have any wd symptoms at all. She is perfectly healthy and normal and happy. She was 2 months old yesterday, going in for the checkup thursday. Will update her weight after that appt. When she was born she was 6lbs 11 oz and 20 in long.
Michelle
okie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2008, 02:45 PM   #16
ladybugg

Im due in 3 weeks and still on 3 mgs.. im starting to get nervous my daughter is going to come out looking like an alien or something.... how is everything going with your little one? is she growing beautifully or what?
Unread 08-23-2008, 10:11 PM   #17
clee

Hello. Not sure if I should start a new thread or not for pregnancy questions. Feel free to move this if need be.

I am currently taking 4mg. of suboxone a day and thinking of becomming pregnant. Now, I know the best thing to do is to GET OFF suboxone completely before I do that, but...I am not getting any younger, I want my little ones close in age, and I am quite fearful of the WD. I have tried to come off once before and I only lasted 1 day of horrible WD before I caved and took more sub. Granted, I probably didn't ween the right way, but that's another story. I'm scared to death.

From reading everyone's posts, I'm not really afraid of hurting my baby. Especially of the low dose I am on, and I can get down to 1-2mgs. first. That's not my main concern, since many healthy babies have been born. My main concern is that I don't have a prescription for Sub. I would assume my OB would want to know who my Dr. is, and I don't have one. So my fear is that CPS would get involved somehow, they'd deem me an active addict, and my baby would be taken away from me. Could that happen? Did anyone else have experience with that happening?

Does anyone have some advice? I might just end up tring to come off completely or maybe going to actually see a Dr. of my own.

fyi my husband is also on sub.....when i was ready to quit pain pills we just thought it would be easier to split his script and save money on dr. bills....
clee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2008, 11:03 PM   #18
spoint1
Way Cool Member

If you want to get pregnant while on Sub you HAVE to have your own prescription. Otherwise, your fears about Child Protective Service might easily becaome true.
As a nurse, Suboxone user, Mom & Grandma, my strongest thought is get off the Subs to get pregnant. Yes, wd's suck, yes you'll be miserable for awhile, but it's a short while compared to a child's life and future. Were I still in the baby having business, I believe I would try very very hard to get clean & sober for my pregnancy. I know I did it with both my kids - but I wasn't seriously using back then either.
So you have some tough choices ahead- but I think the smartes thing is for you to get the Sub legally, start taking your prenatal vitamins now while you're thinking about babies, and find a sympatico OB
Good Luck! Happy Baby Making, he he he!
spoint1 is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to spoint1 For This Useful Post:
Thank You (01-26-2013)
Unread 08-26-2008, 11:30 AM   #19
ohmygoddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by clee View Post
Hello. Not sure if I should start a new thread or not for pregnancy questions. Feel free to move this if need be.

I am currently taking 4mg. of suboxone a day and thinking of becomming pregnant. Now, I know the best thing to do is to GET OFF suboxone completely before I do that, but...I am not getting any younger, I want my little ones close in age, and I am quite fearful of the WD. I have tried to come off once before and I only lasted 1 day of horrible WD before I caved and took more sub. Granted, I probably didn't ween the right way, but that's another story. I'm scared to death.

From reading everyone's posts, I'm not really afraid of hurting my baby. Especially of the low dose I am on, and I can get down to 1-2mgs. first. That's not my main concern, since many healthy babies have been born. My main concern is that I don't have a prescription for Sub. I would assume my OB would want to know who my Dr. is, and I don't have one. So my fear is that CPS would get involved somehow, they'd deem me an active addict, and my baby would be taken away from me. Could that happen? Did anyone else have experience with that happening?

Does anyone have some advice? I might just end up tring to come off completely or maybe going to actually see a Dr. of my own.

fyi my husband is also on sub.....when i was ready to quit pain pills we just thought it would be easier to split his script and save money on dr. bills....
If you go to a OB saying you are using street suboxone then they are going to treat you like you are using streets drugs, because well, you are... Plus, when you get pregnant you HAVE to be switched to subutex, which is safer for pregnancy, but not an approved use. Your husband probably won't be able to score that script for you to spilt, what is he going to say.. he's pregnant??????

Last thing I'll say that I have a hard enough time finding an OB to treat me and I have a legal script and no it wasn't a planned pregnancy, I would have saved myself the hassle and get off it if I were to plan pregnancy. There is a possibility of WD, there is a lot of judgment, and I find pregnancy harder with the medication.
ohmygoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2010, 02:36 AM   #20
dakotagreen_eyes

Sparkles, if you are still around I have some questions to ask of ya please! I just had my healthy little girl and she will be 3monthes on the 7th of March.
dakotagreen_eyes
dakotagreen_eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2010, 12:48 AM   #21
JDK613

Dakota_greeneyes-I can tell you I took subutex throughout my pregnancy w/my now almost 9 mn old daughter & we had absolutely no problems w/her & sub. She was born perfect & still is. I am now pregnant w/our son (yahe!!!!) & I am now & will continue taking sub. For myself & my family the huge benefits outweigh the very small risks.
Unread 03-01-2010, 02:23 AM   #22
dakotagreen_eyes

Thank you so much for getting back to me. The one thing that worries me is once the s.w keeps poking her nose in where it does not belong things are gonna change for the worse. I mean, she knows that I am going into treatment and I told her the dr's name and so forth but I just dont want my past to haunt me. I mean as far as telling her that the dr gave me percs for migraines the last three monthes of pregnancy and after I had her I abused them pretty well. I told her that I was taking 20 a day. I mean that was probally my fault, but I was honest and told her that it was behind me and I am and always be a great mom. So I dunno,ugh. She should just leave my family alone and realize that Im getting help and that should be the end of it. But thanks again for a little incouragment.
dakotagreen_eyes
dakotagreen_eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2010, 08:21 PM   #23
dreamsof

Thank you so much for this post. It literally knocked me down a few much needed levels during my panic attack. If you read My Introduction you'll understand why. You deserve all the happiness I think you feel from this post and more!
dreamsof is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2010, 08:23 PM   #24
lizza

Great post - I am 20 weeks today! I am on 6 mg. daily of subutex - which they switched me to when I became pregnant. This is our 2nd child, with our first son I took methadone - 20mg. daily and did it completely on my own. I never told any Dr.s about the methadone. This time I am doing the correct way, if you will, and have had so many issues with Dr.s! It gets really frustrating. I am nervous about delivery already though. Do I need to stop taking my Sub. before I go into labor? I am so worried about my baby boy getting WD from Sub. My first son did not have any. He was great...I was induced a week early b/c he outgrew the placenta - which could have been from the methadone. This time I am having ultrasounds every month to check growth. wish me luck. thanks for the info nancy and please keep it coming...my Dr. knows nothing about Sub.
lizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2010, 11:13 PM   #25
JDK613

Hi Lizza
I am 27 weeks 3 days preggo w/our 2nd baby, a baby boy!! And have been on sub since my 1st pregnancy w/our daughter. With our daughter I didn't start sub until I was about 4 months pregnant & throughout my pregnancy my dose was increased up to 24 mgs. Baby girl was born perfect!!, no wds. The only problem I had was the epidural would not take so I had NO pain relief, I was not told by my drs to stop using sub in advance to delivering, but I ended up having a c-section (after 27 hrs of labor) so I had a spinal & couldn't feel anything anyway. After she was born I denied any pain meds, the pain afterwards wasn't too bad imo. So if you're concerned about the epidural & pain management, I would discuss w/your docs. I know w/my baby boy, due in aug., that he's a schedule c-section so I won't have to even try an epidural again, which I'm happy about since I don't want to expose my son to anything more then the sub that I am on. And hopefully he will be withdrawal-free just like his big sister!
Hope this helps! And congrats !!
Thank You (05-11-2010)
Unread 05-11-2010, 07:11 AM   #26
NancyB
Administrator

Hi Lizza, I'm not sure if you saw this thread, so just in case, here's a link. It has a bunch of different information about bupe and pregnancy:
http://www.addictionsurvivors.org/vb...ad.php?t=16542

If your doctor needs any expert advice, please give him/her this information about the mentoring system: http://www.naabt.org/providers.cfm#PCSS

Congratulations to both you and JDK613!!

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
Unread 09-16-2010, 11:27 PM   #27
Bolduc2Be2129

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkles3331 View Post
I am a 24 year old mother to a beautiful healthy 7 month old baby boy. Suboxone is a category c drug classifaction when it comes to pregnancy. Which means that it is unknown what the effects may be on the fetus since little or no adequte studies have been done. I'm going to tell my story and experience while being pregnant on sub in hopes of easing some worried minds. I started sub on setember 7, 2004, which is also the day I got sober. I was not considering getting pregnant, but in May of 2005, my husband and I found out I was pregnant. My husband is not an addict and was very nervous about me being on suboxone. I was on 16 mg of suboxone and very worried about being on sub and pregnant. My OB/GYN was aware of me being on this medication, but of course, was not familiar with it. After consulting with my doctor who prescribes suboxone, we decided I would stay on it but drop down to an 8 mg/day dose, which I started in June. Might I add, I never felt the difference....did'nt withdrawl at the slightest. By that point I was 2 months pregnant. As the months went by, my pregnancy progessed perfectly although I was still very worried about my baby while being on sub. So at about 5 months I slowly weaned myself down to 4mg/day. I did this slowly over about 2 months as to not withdrawl which could cause my child to be uncomfortable and possibly miscarry. My pregnancy could not have been going more perfectly; I was measureing correctly and the sonogram showed everything to be the way it should be. At about 8 months I took it upon my self again, to slowly wean down to 2 mg/day. I did this because if my baby did experience any withdrawls after birth, it would be minimal because of the low dose. I also was concerned about the epidural being ineffective. I still did not withdraw at all but I did notice one change. At about 23-24 hours after I took my last dose I would feel very tired and my nose would run a little and then I knew it was time to take my next dose. Prior to weaning down to 2mg/day, I could go well over 24 hours before experienceing any early signs of withdrawl. I was scheduled to be induced, which I elected, at 40 weeks, on Jan 3, 2006. Boy was I as nervous as ever. I took my last dose at 2am, Jan 2. I arrived at the hospital at 2:30 am January 3, to start my induction. They took my whole history and then asked if I was on any mediactions. I told them I was on 2mg/daily of suboxone. Of course, they did'nt know a thing about it. I think I was the hospital's first patient giving birth while taking suboxone. I was'nt expecting that since I was giving birth at Magee Woman's Hospital in Pittsburgh, which is a decent size city and a very popular hospital for giving birth. My labor was progressing perfectly and at 6am, when my docotr arrived, he broke my water. Not a second after he left did I start having the most pain I ever felt.....contractions. (I was contracting before then, but the pain was minimal) My doctor said I could receive the epidural any time I wanted too. I tried to deal with the pain as long as I could...and about 15 minutes later, I elected to get my epidural. I was 4 cm, 100% effaced and the head had been engaged since 36 weeks. The epidural was a dream come true and went very well. I will say that I did need a little bit more medication than the average woman. At about 12:00 pm, my son was ready to come out and meet the world. I pushed for 20 minutes and there he came. A perfectly healthy boy weighing 7 lbs, 3 oz and 19 3/4 in. His apgar scores where 9 at 1 minute and 9 at 5 minutes. They did examine him just a little longer due to me being on sub and him possibly withdrawling. They handed him back into my arms for his first feeding (I decided to formula feed due to sub being excreted in breatmilk)and that went down without a hitch. I could'nt of asked for a better pregnancy, delivery, or baby. It was hard to imagine how uncomplicated these 9 months were. I can't tell you enough just how easy my pregnancy and delivery really was. About an hour later, they moved me up to my room. I was put on a special floor, for high risk babies and mothers, but I was just glad my son did'nt have to go in the NICU. I stayed for 48 hours and my son stayed an extra day due to observation. They closely monitored him every hour. I just want to add they let him stay in my room as long I wanted and do all the normal things I would do if I was on the regular floor, the only thing different was that a nurse came by every hour to give him his finnigan score, which is a rateing scale, used to detect the severity of withdrawl, if any. My son did not withdraw at all and needed no medications. He was released at 2:00pm the the 3rd day. He was perfect. I had a beautiful experience in labor and delvery but once I got upstairs to the recovery rooms, it was terrible. The staff and doctors were very judgemental and rude. They had no experience or education about suboxone. One after another, doctors would come in asking questions about sub and luckly, I had done tons of research and knew practically everthing there is to know about suboxone. I told the staff everything there was to know about suboxone. Though I had a rough experience from the nurses and doctors, I am glad that I was the first patient to pave the way for many others to come. Now the doctors have an understanding for suboxone. Though there will always be a stigma against addicts, suboxone has changed my life. I am still sober today and have a beautiful son who is very advanced both physically and developmentally, and as healthy as one could be. He is in the 100th percentile for height and 85th percentile for weight. He is crawling, standing, cruising, drinking from a sippy cup and even says our dogs name! For those of you who are pregnant and on suboxone, or for those of you considering, I hope this eases any concerns or anxieties. This was my experience, and I'm not saying that yours will be the same, I'm just telling my story since there is hardly any information about suboxone and pregnancy. Good Luck and feel free to email me with any questions
Hello sparkles.... i was just wondering since im taking suboxone is this going to affect me on trying to have a baby with my fiance? Im a little confused on the whole how to get pregnant with me being a female and trying to get pregnant while in taking suboxone...? I just figured that maybe you could give me a little information and tell me if this is going to affect the fact that im trying to get pregnant... because i want to be a mom so bad and he is an amazing guy, i couldnt ask for a better fiance... im just scared and confused... so maybe if you knew more about it than i do and could give me some tips that would be great thank you very much and have a wonderful day/night.
-bolduc2be2129
Bolduc2Be2129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2013, 03:08 PM   #28
k8ie

Hello all pregnant mommies and new mommies . I am 20 weeks pregnant with a baby girl and I'm taking Suboxone. My pain management doc is very ignorant regarding Suboxone - he thinks it has only been around for a year. Also, I have told him I wanted to switch to Subutex and he flat out refuses. Probably b/c he has a deal with a drug rep. My obgyn knows my situation and is in the dark, as well. They both want me off and plan on doing strict weening next week, actually. I'm only taking 0.5mg (started off at 24mg when I found out I was pregnant.) I am scared of going through w/d's...for myself and my baby. These success stories are very encouraging..and I've mentioned them to my pm doc. He just doesn't want to hear it and swears my baby will be a "prostitute, thug, and DEFINITELY addicted to opiates" as an adult. He is pompous, condescending, and pushing me way too fast to get off Suboxone. I'm on so little and, truly want to switch to Subutex and get off when I am completely ready. Especially if the possibility of my baby going through w/d's is so very minute.

Anyway, just venting I guess. Thanks for all the encouraging stories. And, congratulations for being such strong, caring, loving mommies! To healthy, beautiful babies, nonetheless !
k8ie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2013, 03:29 PM   #29
NancyB
Administrator

Hi k8ie, congratulations on your pregnancy.

First thing that strikes me is there any way for you to find a new doctor? I'm sorry, but that line about your little girl growing up to be a "prostitute, thug, and DEFINITELY addicted to opiates" is totally uncalled for. I'm still in shock that anyone would say such a thing! Shame on him.

Here's a link with different ways to find a doctor:
http://www.addictionsurvivors.org/vb...ad.php?t=21259

Have you seen this link? scaredsubmom was taking 4mg and just had a healthy baby girl on the 23rd:
http://www.addictionsurvivors.org/vb...ad.php?t=28220

Another thread full of information on bupe and pregnancy is here:
http://www.addictionsurvivors.org/vb...ad.php?t=16542

One other thing, you Suboxone doctor, or maybe even your OB/GYN can talk with an bupenorphine expert here:
http://www.pcssb.org/

I don't understand the forcing you to taper off when you're not ready, especially when they both appear to be uneducated on bupe and addiction.

I hope this is helpful. Welcome.

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
Unread 04-17-2013, 10:26 PM   #30
CarolinaMommy

I see this as an old pos so ill make my story short and sweet. My husband and i got pregnant 2 yrs into my suboxone treatment. The only fear i had was my daughter suffering through withdrawal. Fast forward to when labor, contractions were easily tolerated until my water broke then i have to be honest and say it was the most painful thing ive ever experienced and im a former piercing and tattoo fanatic. The doctors knew of the 24 mg of suboxone i was on, yes i said 24 mg, and they knew nothing about pain releif during labor while on suboxone. They were going to do a spinal but because my daughter was breech and i couldn't lay or sit still for it because i was in so much pain they rushed me to the OR for emergency c-section. They put me to sleep and she was born 6 minutes later. She did NOT have a trace of withdrawals what so ever. IMO the naloxone in suboxone had something to do with the fact she didnt have any withdrawals but thats just my opinion. The pain relief after was tuff, they change my drip a few times until i was comfortable. Obviously they stopped giving me suboxone during my stay after so i could get pain meds. I was sent home 4 days later with a prescription for percocet but didnt need them and had no desire for them and continued suboxone when i got home. My ob knew of the suboxone and didnt ask for proof of any kind. I think they just want honesty. But some may ask for proof. My daughter today is a happy healthy smart 3 1/2 yr old who is like any other 3 1/2 yr old minus her pre-k teacher asking why shes there when shes well past the point of learning her ABC's, 123's, colors, shapes etc... So there are positive outcomes and there should be more studies for this very reason. Good luck to all the mommys on suboxone and with all the pregnancies on suboxone.
CarolinaMommy is offline   Reply With Quote