Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 07-24-2014, 06:56 PM   #1
ManWithAPlan

Question Irritability and panic attacks-klonopin?

Hey friends out there. I have been on and off pain killers for about 8 years. I went to an impatient facility in 2011, and got put on suboxone. I did well for three months, weened myself off, then felt great! Then after about 6 months sober, I started taking a few hydros here and there, then went back into full blown addiction by the end of 2013. So I now go to a methadone clinic every morning to get my 4 mg subutex. It makes me quite irritable, along with other less serious side effects. But I have heard of many people being prescribed Klonopin to help deal with the added irritability, rage, anxiety, and panic attacks that come with the powerful drug.

I went to my university doctor, and she wanted to put me on an ssri. I don't want antidepressants, but she wouldn't give me klonopin because of my history of addiction. I'm already on subutex, which is much more addicting and I understand the risks. Can anyone help me with advice on how to find a doctor that understands addiction, or how to tell my current doctor that I know it works for other people, so why not let me give it a try?

This is my first post on this site, so thanks ahead for any advice. I hope I'll be able to find this thread after I post it...
ManWithAPlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2014, 08:41 PM   #2
julie48

Hi, and welcome. You need to find the right doc, usually a psychiatrist. My pshych doc put me on Klonopin and knew about my history and subs. I asked to be taken off of it after a couple of years and put on Ativan, which he did. Tell the doc you suffer from terrible anxiety, that is what it is for. I wouldn't mention the subs make you anxious, just mention you have anxiety in general.....let us know how you're doing. Julie
Unread 07-24-2014, 10:04 PM   #3
ManWithAPlan

The lady I talked to was a psychiatrist. She wasn't any good though. I told her I've had anxiety my whole life, and it's usually worse in the summer because the heat makes me more chlostraphobic, bringing on more panic attacks. I'll just have to look around until it find a doctor that is willing to listen and help not just prescribe the first thing they think of.

-Randall
Unread 07-24-2014, 10:10 PM   #4
julie48

Good plan. Unfortunately some of these docs hear 'addction" and it is forget it. Keep looking around.
Unread 07-25-2014, 06:40 AM   #5
NancyB
Administrator

Hi ManWithAPlan, welcome. Generally rage, anxiety and panic attacks are not necessarily direct side effects of buprenorphine. What can happen is that these things were covered up by the full agonists prior to bupe treatment. Because bupe is a partial opioid agonist, it doesn't activate the mu receptors fully like full agonists do and for many people, it doesn't mask issues like anxiety, depression, etc. as well as full agonists, so switching to bupe brings these things to the surface. (http://www.naabt.org/faq_answers.cfm?ID=2)

Also, for some people, when their dose is too high, they can experience lethargy, depression, anxiety and other issues; and after lowering their dose, feel much better.

But since you've had anxiety your whole life, you need to address that as a separate issue.

As far as bupe being more addictive - for most people it helps them stop their addictive behavior. A lot of people get addiction and physical dependence confused. People continue their physical dependence to opiates when taking Suboxone. But most people stop their addiction. Addiction is uncontrollable, compulsive behavior despite negative consequences. Taking bupe as prescribed isn't addictive behavior. This might help explain it more.
http://www.naabt.org/faq_answers.cfm?ID=1

I wonder if she wanted to try an antidepressant for your anxiety because there are some that work well for panic attacks and anxiety. There have been people here who found Cymbalta (SSNRI) worked very well for anxiety. I found this "How Antidepressants are Used to Treat Anxiety" which is interesting:
http://www.healthcentral.com/anxiety...-285693-5.html

There are some doctors who will just not prescribe benzos with bupe because they fear overdoses. The overdoses that have happened with bupe and benzos were usually because the person took large amounts of benzos, often with another respiratory depressant - alcohol - and the overdose would have happened even if they were not prescribed bupe. If the antidepressant the psychiatrist wanted to prescribe is one that works for anxiety, maybe think about giving it a try while you look for a doctor who understands and is willing to prescribe you a benzo for your anxiety? Might not hurt while you're looking.

I hope this is helpful and I hope you find a doctor to help you with your anxiety soon.

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to NancyB For This Useful Post:
Thank You (07-25-2014)
Unread 07-25-2014, 06:43 AM   #6
NancyB
Administrator

ooops I forgot to mention! One more thing, you can always click on your name to get to your profile. Then click on Statistics. There you'll see "Find all posts by ...." and "Find all threads started by ...." That works on anyone's profile.

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2014, 09:08 AM   #7
julie48

Hi there. Nancy is dead right. It does sound like you have had anxiety your whole life and yes, your use of opiates have more than likely masked any anxiety, etc., you have.

Finding the right doc is crucial and let the doc know you have never had an issue with benzos and you take your subs responsibly. My psych doc prescribes pretty much what I ask, but I don't ask much. The klonopin made me "mean" at times, so I asked for Ativan and I only take the Ativan if I am having bad anxiety. But I do take it nightly for sleep. Keep posting as their is a lot of good info and support here, especially from our main gal and moderator Nancy!!!! Good luck. Julie
Unread 08-08-2014, 01:27 PM   #8
ManWithAPlan

My old primary care physician moved so I went to a new one. She was reluctant to prescribe me anything on top on subutex, but she referred me to a psychiatrist who actually specializes in addiction. He put me on nuerontin and buspar... He wouldn't put me on benzos, even after I told him klonopin was the only thing that made me feel normal, I've been on countless antidepressants. I even told him I would lower my dosage from 4 mg (which I feel is pretty low already) down to 2. He still wasn't going to give me a script for any controlled substance. I guess I'll try this combo for a few weeks. I'm tired of talking to doctors and paying each one for nothing.
Unread 08-08-2014, 06:00 PM   #9
OhioMike

I take Buspar and Cymbalta daily for anxiety and for the most part it works. I do however have moments where the attack is too violent and I need to seek help. This was the case the other day and my doctor has increased my Buspar dose. Give the Buspar time to work, it may take a week or so to really get going.
Unread 08-08-2014, 06:59 PM   #10
theswan

I can only share what I have been through and Wellbutrin has done a great job on my depression and anxiety. One can also have low testosterone or in my case, sleep apnea that I did not realize was causing my anxiety and claustrophobia. Please at least try other med's before the benzos. Yeah maybe you will be ok but trust me you absolutely do not want to become addicted to benzos-I thought opioid WD was bad, but benzos had me close to suicide.

Just my expirence I thought I'd share

Glen
theswan is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to theswan For This Useful Post:
Thank You (08-09-2014)