Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 08-30-2012, 03:29 PM   #1
damagedbydoctor

Thumbs down tapering plans after benzo discovery

hello last thursday night discovered had been perscribed and taking a benzo for six months. did not take it thursday night seen rn on friday told her i did not want the pills. she said i can put them in her garbage pail. it was apo-oxazepam 15mg. saturday was told by online resource cannot go cold turkey off that med. went to ER got told going cold turkey would have no great health problems. Sunday went to pharmacy got three oxazepam. wensday went to see doctor told him about all the withdrawal symptoms and that i did not want to be on this drug. should note him and rn have close relationship. wensday at doctors he decided to wean me with being told that i will research all future meds before entering my body. his plan is to have me take 10mg of oxazepam for two weeks then 5mg for two weeks then none. my question is will this work? I believe i am coping well. are there any online chats or supports other than this. thanks
damagedbydoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2012, 07:49 PM   #2
damagedbydoctor

am i in the right place am i right that ozaxepam is a benzo? my research told me it was.
Unread 08-31-2012, 07:46 AM   #3
NancyB
Administrator

Hi damagedbydoctor, yes, oxazepam is a benzo:
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/d...s/a682050.html

This forum isn't that active, sorry to say. This link is one of the best sites for benzos:
http://www.benzo.org.uk/

It has a link to two support forums here:
http://www.benzo.org.uk/support.htm

One of them: http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php
has a section on tapers that might be interesting. (I never utilized that forum and don't know anything about it, so I can't give an opinion on it. But just as with any medical advice on the internet, do your research and ask medical people - even a pharmacist - if there are any questions or concerns.)

Unfortunately, I don't know enough about benzos to offer any suggestions on a taper.

Hopefully, someone will see your posts who can offer suggestions.

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2012, 09:20 AM   #4
damagedbydoctor

thanks nancy for the reply. I will study your links. thank you for the info much appreciated. all i know is I never planned to be on this drug but i definatly want off it.
Unread 08-31-2012, 06:28 PM   #5
CarlyO

Dear damaged by doctor,
I read the info Nancy gave you, all good sources. I was not familiar with it until I researched it . Sounds like yes it can cause Wds and I agree always seek medical advice and talk to a pharmacist like Nancy suggested.
IMO you did the right thing by seeking medical attention. stay on top of this, if you need help do not hesitate to call your MD or go to the ER.
I have been through Wds for Benzos that were rxed for anxiety /panic attack ( not the one you refer to ) but it was in the benzo family . I was on them for many years so it took me a long time to feel physically and emotionally better. I did not touch a benzo for 10 years and even now will only take the smallest amount if absolutely need to. It helps so much to have a support during the Wd period and again, if you feel you need help ask for it ! Good luck and let us know how you are doing. Take care, Carly
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.

Last edited by CarlyO; 08-31-2012 at 06:32 PM..
CarlyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2012, 10:16 PM   #6
damagedbydoctor

Thanks Carly I feel a lot of pain and I know I must get my rest
Unread 09-02-2012, 10:43 AM   #7
damagedbydoctor

Today I go to my first NA meeting don't know much about it hope my problem belongs there.
Unread 09-02-2012, 03:35 PM   #8
NancyB
Administrator

Hi damagedbydoctor, in case you don't find the NA meeting helpful, or even if you want to see if there are any of these meetings in your area, here are some other groups:

Celebrate Recovery
Christian-based recovery meetings.
http://www.celebraterecovery.com/

LifeRing
A non-religious self-help recovery organization for individuals who seek group support to achieve abstinence from alcohol and other addictive drugs.
http://lifering.org/

Smart Recovery
Self Management and Recovery Training. Based on ever-evolving scientific knowledge.
http://www.smartrecovery.org/

Secular Organizations for Sobriety
Self-empowerment approach to recovery.
http://www.cfiwest.org/sos/index.htm

Women for Sobriety
Peer support for helping women overcome alcohol dependence and other addictions.
http://www.womenforsobriety.org/

Was the benzo uk site helpful at all?

Nancy
Unread 09-02-2012, 04:27 PM   #9
theswan

Hello Damaged

I was very dependant on Benzo's and benzo like medication (Ambien) I read that the Valium was the best to taper with because it has a long half life. That means it pass's more slowly hence not such a horrible WD. I went through heck but it can be done. It is important to know each person reacts in different ways and what I feel as "suffering" may feel like mild discomfort to you.

You are right in seeking help for WD because, not to scare you but it can cause life threatening seizures if cold turkey.

You are not taking a large amount and it seems you are taking it as ordered, if that is the case, there is a good chance you are not addicted in the literal sense. Time will tell but if after weaning off you have no desire or cravings to go back on, well maybe you are just a cautious person who has a healthy fear of medications.

Please understand I am not at all judging you and only one person for sure can know if you are an addict and that person is you. I in no way want to minimize what you have taken but it seems from what you wrote that you took it as prescribed.

Welcome in any case and let us know how the taper goes for you. Feel free to write here anytime as it can help just writing about it.

God bless

Glen
theswan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2012, 12:11 AM   #10
damagedbydoctor

Default Thanks both of you!

I want to thank you both for your help and kindness and info swan I take it into great account and agree with a lot you said. I hold strong expectations of myself around never becoming addicted to anything other than Pepsi and cigarettes yes I know still drugs. I came with understanding and also am now very unjudgemental as I now see drug addiction can happen to anyone even if you do everything to avoid them at all costs. I one positive thing is I can now see that it can happen to anyone. Thank also Nancy for the awesome links have joined a few and found a chat room. Thanks again! Don't know that had a great understanding of the benzo. Uk site. So long friends
Unread 09-04-2012, 07:35 AM   #11
NancyB
Administrator

Hi damagedbydoctor, glad those links helped! I hope that your taper off is smooth and problem-free!

Nancy
Unread 09-06-2012, 11:27 PM   #12
theswan

I used the UK site and it helped me most by getting me to taper with valium. the hospital loaded me up with clonipin (clonazapam maybe? spelling incorrect) and I felt like a zombie. So bad I was "cheeking" the pills and spitting out half! I had to discharge myself before I got worse!

The UK site can scare a little which may be good in prevention but I look back in hindsight and see while the taper was indeed a "horror" show, it did not take as long to get well as others there stated. Real sleep was slow in coming that much I remember.

I also feel I must add this important part of my anxiety problem. While I did suffer at times in my life with free floating anxiety, the direct reason for my last and most horrible bout (over a year I'd say maybe more) was not true anxiety but a reaction to my diabetes medication (Metformin) Now please note for you and of course anyone reading this as it may apply to them, Metformin is an effective drug that has helped millions-I just have a rare albeit not unknown reaction to it.

(I had moved and went off because I ran out, was feeling better, then started a refill. I got more anxiety! I tried off and on maybe 4 times before I knew it was the metformin)

So, if even one person shares my reaction to metformin, then I did a good deed and if not, no harm done.

Good luck

Glen
theswan is offline   Reply With Quote