Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 04-30-2010, 11:53 PM   #1
Dopeless Hope Fiend

Default I quit!!!!

Smoking cigarettes, that is...

Just thought I'd put it out there...I smoked my last cig 48 hours ago...uuuh, Wednesday night at about 11:20 p.m.

No, my smoke didn't reply, but I did tell it "I don't need you anymore!" "You stink and make me sick!" and "I'm done with you for good!"

Thursday morning I bought some nicotine gum and haven't even used the maximum daily dose...I wasn't a heavy smoker to begin with. But the cigarettes I did smoke, I wanted them bad.

The cravings are awful, but I'm keeping busy and made a list of my triggers and what I can do for them. So far so good...

I'll probably be a cranky, crabby, bitchy mess for a few weeks...may just vent here so my family doesn't have to hear it (neither do you, really)

I'd love to hear from any ex-smokers...how'd you quit? How long were you craving? Anything you want to share, I'd love to read your experiences.

Have an awesome dopeless day,

-DHF
Dopeless Hope Fiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2010, 10:18 AM   #2
NancyB
Administrator

Hey DHF, yes, just vent here so your family doesn't have to listen! People here can choose to not read, but at home... lol

That's great. Let me know how it goes. I might have to follow in your footsteps and give it a try. Then I can be a cranky, crabby, bitchy mess at you. hahaha

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2010, 11:18 PM   #3
Dopeless Hope Fiend

Default I'm Still Smoke-Free!!

Really, I didn't think I could do this. Ha! I am a non-smoker! I haven't had a cigarette since Wednesday night, 4.28.10.

Yes, I am still a cranky, crabby, bitchy mess, but that's getting better. The cravings are subsiding a bit. When I've snapped at my family unjustly, I've quickly apologized. However, there has been some justifiable snapping going on. Now that I don't smoke, I don't take any breaks outside, so things that need to be dealt with are getting my full attention...such as kids not doing their responsibilities, bad attitudes...hey, I'm the one who quit smoking! Plus triple the schoolwork...

Haven't seen anybody post how they quit...either nobody has the time or inclination? Go figure...

-DHF
Unread 05-14-2010, 06:18 AM   #4
NancyB
Administrator

Hi DHF, just checking in to see how you're doing!

Still going well I hope.

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
Unread 05-17-2010, 04:00 PM   #5
Dopeless Hope Fiend

Hi Nancy,

Thank you...I'm doing fine. Hope you are too. It's been 19 days since I've had a cigarette. I won't say I don't want one, but I don't want one as bad as I thought I would.

I'm not nearly as cranky, crabby, and bitchy as the first couple of weeks. It's getting easier. Everyday has its triggers. Yesterday, I had all this technical trouble with my school's website. I went to complete an assignment I had started and saved. Due to some technical BS, all my work was gone. My first reaction was to go downstairs, grab my cigarettes and head outside. I went in the kitchen and just kind of didn't know what to do with myself. So I went outside and watered some plants...oh, yeah, and I let out a little scream.

Everything is getting better. I'm sticking with a method that basically works like this: Plan + Belief + Action = Success. I made a plan to quit smoking, listed my triggers and what to do about them. After working my plan, I've come to believe in myself...I'm doing it...I'm not smoking. I keep acting on my plan, and it is successful.

It may be only 19 days, but I used to have only 19 days meth-free. 8 years feels good. Quitting smoking is my way of celebrating my 8 years clean.

I really want to be clean...getting there...all I have left is my anxiety meds.

-DHF

Unread 05-27-2010, 01:28 PM   #6
Sullivan

Hi DHF,

Sorry I didn't see your post sooner. Congratulations on quitting smoking!!!! Like you I was never a heavy smoker, only about 3 or 4 a day. But when I did, I NEEDED THOSE CIGAREETES!!!!

I quit several times, once even for about 2 years. My final motivating factor may sound odd but it worked. After my husband and I decided to have children I wanted my body to be nicotine-free for at least 6 months before even trying to conceive. It was slower going than anticipated and I ultimately only had about 2 months. But I finally did quit. I figured that during pregnancy my body was not mine for the next 9 months; it was only on loan until the baby was done using it. That probably sounds strange but I wanted a healthy baby so much...

I didn't quit cold turkey, nor did I use gum or medication. Instead I slowly weaned myself off until it was only one cigarette each on Friday and Saturday. I haven't a clue when my last one was. But I can say that quitting smoking is by far the most difficult thing I've ever done. And I was the biggest raving mad bitch for miles! My poor husband, bless him, was an ex-smoker/chewer when we met and was incrediby supportive both when I quit and during all the failures before then. He was supportive without putting pressure on me or expressing any disappointment when I broke down and had a smoke. And he took the brunt of my moodiness without complaint. It was more helpful then you could imagine!

Not a day goes by when I don't think about smoking. I've had a drag off a friend's before, like camping or whatever, on a couple of occassions. But there was no satisfaction in it and I couldn't stand the lingering taste or smell. I also know that I can never smoke "just one" ever again. I've been down that road before more than once and it led to my demise every time.

Strangely, the cravings subsided long before the mood swings. My moodiness gradually decreased after a couple weeks tobacco-free. It was the feeling of pride for not smoking that kept me free from doing so. Well, that and choosing to have a child over smoking.

It's nice to read your posts; you have been in my thoughts over the last couple months and I hope things are going well for you. Now if I could just quit the alcohol...

Take care,

Sullivan
Sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2010, 12:30 AM   #7
Dopeless Hope Fiend

Hi Sullivan,

Thank you! And congratulations to you on your success! I don't think your motivating factor is odd at all. In fact, if I had been thinking like you, I may not have miscarried and today would be loving and chasing a two-year old around.

When I found out I was pregnant in 2007, I quit the prescription-platter I was taking; but for the life of me, and my baby, couldn't quit the damn cigarettes. My OB-GYN said it could have been anything that caused it to happen; even though I wasn't helping my pregnancy by smoking those few cigarettes that I CRAVED FIENDISHLY.

I tried weaning. My husband had quit smoking, took up chewing again, then quit that, too. He's a long-haul truck driver. He came home once smoke-and-chew-free, but never once nagged me to quit. He knew that wasn't going to work for me, but never said so. He just quietly observed my weaning process. I came down with strep-throat, and even THAT didn't make me quit. I sprayed that throat-numbing stuff, sucked on a throat lozenge and enjoyed (?) my limited cigarettes. And after the ten-day round of antibiotics, I was still doing okay, no more than 5 a day. I don't know where I lost track...probably when I stopped rationing them out every morning.

Tomorrow will be 30 days...kind of feels like I need a token.
I'm still crabby, but I don't know if it's lack of nicotine, ritual, or the enormous amount of stuff going on right now. I'd always envisioned clear thinking, more energy, less need for sleep. To the contrary: I can't concentrate, feel overwhelmed (lots of other stuff going on), I'm dog-tired, and can fall asleep easily and when I'm not supposed to! I love your statement:

"And I was the biggest raving mad bitch for miles!"

LOL!!! Or cry big-crocodile tears, uuhhh, that would be me. Today I went off on my school's finance department AND my academic advisor...didn't accomplish anything and I feel like a jerk. Well, I did get a bit of an extension on a bill. I've always heard people say stuff like "put aside the money you would've spent on cigarettes! You'll have more money!" Umm, that hasn't happened around here, yet. My moodiness seems to be lasting longer than my cravings, too. I need to get my ass on the treadmill and start being more than just smoke-free.

You surprised me when you said you've taken a drag off a friend's cigarette. I know I couldn't do that; "one is too many...but for me, 5 or so is enough..." I agree with you, the pride of the accomplishment is motivation to keep on keeping on...I would be so pissed at myself if I smoked. And my kids are watching. I don't want to let them or my husband down. Tonight, he called and told me he knew I could do it. He's a silently-supportive man. Those words mean the world to me.

Thanks again for reading my posts and most importantly, sharing your story. I love to read how others are handling "it," whatever their "it" may be. I hope you find the strength to quit drinking. I believe you can...look what you've accomplished so far...

-DHF
Unread 05-28-2010, 06:05 AM   #8
NancyB
Administrator

Hi DHF, congrats on one month! Hi Sullivan, congrats to you on quitting also! It's quite an accomplishment!

DHF, looks as though maybe your bitchiness helped with the finance department. Maybe it's that's squeaky wheel saying... Be easy on yourself, you have a lot going on! Maybe getting on the treadmill wouldn't be a bad thing - gets the endorphins going.

You're inspiring me to take that step. So soon enough, I might be here telling you and Sullivan that I am now the biggest raving bitch for miles!

I hope you both have a good holiday weekend.

Nancy
Unread 05-28-2010, 08:11 AM   #9
Dopeless Hope Fiend

Hi NancyB,

Thank you! I really didn't think I could do it, so it feels pretty good to have quit. I think I can stay quit, lots of motivation to do so. I hope you find whatever it takes to quit, too. I'd be happy (?) to let you rant and rave at me if you need to when you're ready...just let me know.

I'd hate to think being a bitch to the finance department of my school resulted in an extension on my fees, but like you said, maybe it is a squeaky-wheel thing. In this case, my "wheel" was a screeching one. I feel kind of crappy about it. But I did apologize to the guy for bending his ear. He didn't seem to mind. Better not, he gets paid to "advise me" academically.

Endorphins, yes, that is what I need. Thank you for the reminder. That and some coffee...

Have an awesome dopeless day and holiday weekend, too!

-DHF
Unread 05-29-2010, 06:51 AM   #10
NancyB
Administrator

Hi DHF, you're a motivation to me!

I don't really think it was that you were a bitch that you got your extension, but rather probably more assertive in your presentation of why that really helped. And that's not a bad thing.

A large coffee with some endorphins please - maybe we can develop that for the newest Starbucks flavor. lol

I hope you have a great weekend and do something just for you, ok??

Nancy
Unread 06-03-2010, 12:19 PM   #11
Dopeless Hope Fiend

Hi NancyB,

Thank you! I'm still not smoking, even through a bunch of stressful stuff...that's another thread. Can't say I don't want a cigarette. CAN say I'm not going to have one.

I love your recipe for a new Starbucks flavor...coffee with endorphins. If they made that, I'd order a triple-shot.

About the only thing I did for myself over the holiday weekend was take a nap. It was nice. Hope you had a great holiday.

-DHF
Unread 09-09-2010, 06:27 PM   #12
Dopeless Hope Fiend

I'd be a liar if I didn't post an update...

I started smoking cigarettes again. My "quit" only lasted about 6 weeks. While on vacation, I was around a bunch of smokers, and eventually, I caved. My plan to deal with this trigger was pretty lame..."avoid smokers."

Ashamed to admit it, but would rather fess-up here then let anyone who reads this think it was a big success.

Epic failure...need a do-over, don't know when I'll find the whatever-it-is-I-need to quit again.

-DHF
Unread 09-10-2010, 06:28 PM   #13
NancyB
Administrator

Hi DHF, not a failure! 6 weeks is a lot! Next time it will be longer. Just try it again when you're ready, right? You've done better than I. I keep just thinking about it.

When it happens, it happens. No need to call yourself a failure at all.

Nancy
Unread 09-19-2010, 06:36 PM   #14
CarlyO

HI DHF,

YOU know it takes what it takes !!! Like nancy says 6 weeks it a long time !! I have no doubt that you will be able to do it , it may take some tries, but I have faith in you : )

Hope everything is going well with you and family !
Hang in there , tae care , Carly
CarlyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2010, 02:59 PM   #15
Dopeless Hope Fiend

Thanks Nancy and Carly,

Yeah, I suppose "failure" is kind of harsh on myself. I've done pretty good cutting back. Just finished up my 3 week internship and didn't smoke a single cigarette while at work...waited 'til I got home!

Still not smoking much...4 or 5 a day, but still not quit!! Must find different approach...

-DHF
Unread 10-08-2010, 06:55 AM   #16
NancyB
Administrator

Hey DHF, yes FAILURE is harsh! You're doing great! Congrats on finishing your internship - how was it?

A different approach may work just fine. Do you smoke in your house? You can switch that up and only smoke outside (that's what I do - makes it rather unappealing if it's cold/rainy/snowing). Next I'm working on not smoking in the car. We'll see. Let me know what your new approach is. Maybe we can do this together!

Nancy
Unread 10-11-2010, 03:05 PM   #17
Dopeless Hope Fiend

Hi NancyB,

Thanks for asking! My internship was, well, interesting. My degree will be in health information technology...working with coding and billing.

The site I chose for my internship was the health department. I've worked as a MA in doctors offices. The hospitals are too far away. I'm a big city girl living in the woods...you know my story!

Anyway, I thought the health department would be good on my resume. It will be, but the experience didn't allow for any coding or billing work. I spent my time there making a database.

The people were really nice and laid back, but the work just didn't match up to the objectives of my course. So now I have to create a PowerPoint presentation for my course with very little hands-on stuff to put in it.

Oh well...worse things have happened. I'm not complaining!

About smoking...

No, I don't smoke in my house, car, or around non-smokers. Haven't for years now. I make myself go outside, which I agree, makes it unappealing in crappy weather...so I go in the garage.

Still down to five a day. Sometimes a couple more. I'm going to try again this weekend. My brother is coming for a visit...a non-smoker who will chastise me if he catches me smoking! Plus we're going hiking and exploring...activities like that make me want to not smoke.

Really, I've found that to be the best deterrent...but I can't rely on that to keep me smoke-free. I'd be hiking all the time! Still thinking of other ways...

-DHF
Unread 10-12-2010, 02:50 PM   #18
NancyB
Administrator

Hi DHF, sorry your internship didn't give you hands-on experience. Especially for your presentation. I'm sure you'll come up with something for it that will work.

Yes, I know what you mean by not relying on others to keep me smoke-free either. Hopefully we'll both just get sick of it soon and say forget! lol Plus they're expensive!

Hope you're having a great day!

Nancy