Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 04-01-2010, 10:26 PM   #1
SarahJane

Default horror at the dentist.

well hello to all.. i know i have not written in a while but i have been on to read.. things have been good and i am busy working..
I had to write this and ask for anyone elses experience and get nancy's input..
I had a root canal about a year ago.. i never finshed it because the pain went away and i hate the dentist.. also probably because i was doing so many DOCS that i never felt the damm pain.
well, i woke up monday with a fat face and so much pain that i wanted a train to run over my head.. I went to the dentist in a panic and he gave me peniccilin and said to come back in a week and he would remove the tooth. 2 days later and my face is getting larger and i am now totally demented. i went to the dentist first thing wednesday morning. he took a look at me and frraked out.. saying that i had a massive deep seated infection and needed to have my tooth pulled and it drained imediately or it meant something catastrophical.. i am now thinking.. well.. i am going to die... he put me in the chair with sweet air.. nothing.. more sweet air.. nothing.. more still.. i felt nothing.. then came the numbing shots so that i would feel nothing.. ahh.. well here is where it gets good.. nothing happened.. eight shots of novacaine later and i thought it was numb.. well then he came at me with these huge pliers and things of that sort.. i flew off the chair, shreiking that he must be trying to kill me or something..i calmed down.. he slit my gum and drained it.. Nancy, i felt it all... as i lay there in the chair waiting to see the first signs of the pearly gates and wringing out my tear soaked tissues, i realized what a dummy i was.. i guess i should have told him that i take sub huh???? is that why it would not work for me???? it blocked everything.. what happens if i need a leg off or something??? i am scared to death now.. please tell me there is a solution.. and why didnt the peniccilin work or is that part just coincidence.. i have been on that before and it has worked.. do subs stop all meds??

Sarah jane
Thank You (02-12-2012)
Unread 04-02-2010, 01:01 AM   #2
Mary Magdalene

what if my tooth is that bad?!??!? i'm just as scared of the dentist. dear god, i wish i hadn't read this.... i've had several infections under one specific tooth. oh god. what if mine is this bad?!?!?! what should i do? they've been telling me for over a year to get it taken care of, but i hate dentists more than i hate heroin!!! (that's probably an exageration, but you can ask my sister, humboldtgrown, we used to have quite the sadistic dentist when we were little). what do i do?
oh dear god.
i'm soo sorry to hear about that, sarah jane...... now i am horrified. good title, by the way. unfortunatly, my computer didn't show that last D-word.
fortunatly for me, i have had only 2 (very recent) infections, and peniccilan has always worked for me and i've been on suboxone the entire time. maybe that will answer at least one of your questions.
oh man, i'm sorry, dude, that's real real bad.
love,
mary magdalene
Mary Magdalene is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2010, 06:25 AM   #3
NancyB
Administrator

Hi Sarah Jane, I feel so badly for what you had to go through! I honestly don't know what happened because Suboxone doesn't block either nitrous oxide (sweet air) or novocaine or lessen the effect of penicillin. I did a search on the internet and the most common thing that came up for novocaine not working is that it wasn't injected correctly (I've had that happen to me before, ouch!) or the nerve the dentist was trying to numb was difficult to access. I wonder if because the infection was so massive and deep seated had anything to do with it?

It takes a few days for penicillin to start working, so maybe your infection was just too bad for it to do anything in two days?

Had you had any trouble with either nitrous oxide before? Is this a new dentist?

Sorry I don't have a definitive answer to why neither worked, but the only thing that Suboxone blocks is opiates, so we can at least rule that out.

Hope you're doing better!!

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2010, 08:57 AM   #4
okie

I am sooo sorry that you went through that...I hope you are feeling better now..

I have been to the dentist multiple times on sub, had a few root canals..and never nitrous, but novacaine for sure..the novacaine always works, on sub, 12mgs, no matter. I have no idea what happened to you, but I have also had surgery (pins/plate put in broken bone) on sub too, and when they knocked me out..I was out.

I sure hope you are doing better..
Unread 04-02-2010, 12:26 PM   #5
jenealle

I know when I had a dry socket and infection nothing worked for me either and at the time I was not on sub.sounds like your infection was just too bad and they should have given you a stronger antibiotic,because sometimes it wont work with such an awful infection like you had...take care
Unread 04-02-2010, 01:07 PM   #6
TIM

Sarah,
I hope you are able to beat the infection soon. I'm glad to hear that you are getting help for it now, tooth infections can lead to very serious complications. The bupe shouldn't block the Novocaine, or other medications, only opioids. Hope you are doing better.
Tim

Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. Voluntary Disclosure: Timothy L. is the President of The National Alliance of Advocates for Buprenorphine treatment. (NAABT.org) The views and opinions of Timothy L., or any poster, are not necessarily the views of AddictionSurvivors.org. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider Any information you read here should only serve to inspire you to investigate further with credible, verifiable referenced sources or your doctor.
TIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2010, 11:11 PM   #7
SarahJane

thanks for the comforting words guys.. and sorry i scared one or two of you.. but all i kept thinking was that i should have told this dentist what i was on, but of course i was too embarrased to do that..god forbid my dentist thinks i was/am an addict...
so i sat there and suffered..i have had sweet air before and actually laughed my ass off with it.. but this time nothing was funny..i carry that card in my wallet for people to see if i have had an accident and my hubbie knows what i am on.. but i also remember reading somewhere that sub could block all kinds of things.. i expect the infection was so deep rooted that nothing helped.. but still the sweet air should have done something.. maybe i have been high so many times that i am now impervious to sweet air??? the good news is.. he gave me a script for Norco.. and i only filled the new peniccilin <sp, god i never get that word right> and the motrin and actually shredded the norco script.. i did not even think about it.. so i am on the road to recovery.. a little test i passed i think..

love to all..

sarah jane
Unread 04-02-2010, 11:53 PM   #8
happytobehere

Congrats on shredding the Norco script! That is major. Hope you are feeling better. What an ordeal to have to go through. Wow.
happytobehere is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2010, 07:18 AM   #9
NancyB
Administrator

Hi SarahJane, Great job in shredding that script! That must have been really empowering for you.

That is perplexing about the sweet air; but it wouldn't be the Suboxone because that only blocks opioids from getting to the receptors, so that is just weird that you've had good results (unless you couldn't stop laughing during the procedure...).

I hope you're doing better now and are pain free.

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2010, 08:11 PM   #10
Mary Magdalene

sarah, yeah, last time i went in to get some antibiotics, the D.D. said she was gonna give me some vicodin and i sat straight up in that chair and said no no noooo, i'm a recovering addict, just the motrin and pennicilan, please. she offered another kind of pain killer that was non narcotic, but i said that was probably not going to help my self confidence...
feels pretty good to say no and mean it. made my momma proud of me.
good for you!
-magda
Mary Magdalene is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2010, 09:29 PM   #11
edubl2323

sarahjane, buprenorphine has no effect on local anesthetics or nitrous oxide. Pain during procedure comes strictly from the infection lowering the Ph of the surrounding tissue which basically causes anesthetics ( novocaine) to not be effective. For oral infections that involve swelling I would suggest asking for a different antibiotic such as clindamycin. hope this helps
edubl2323 is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to edubl2323 For This Useful Post:
Thank You (04-15-2010)
Unread 04-16-2010, 08:55 PM   #12
SarahJane

thanks for that, i will keep it in mind.. all is well now.. hopefuly i will not need to go through that again in a hurry..

sarah jane
Unread 11-10-2010, 03:48 PM   #13
subsurvivor

Default Similar Experience

I had a similar experience with my dentist yesterday.....
I debated whether to post or not and decided it's best for people to know and ask their own sub doc. If I can prevent someone else from suffering, I always will.

I have been on suboxone for nearly 18 months. I take 8-16mg per day depending on how much back pain I am experiencing. I had never EVER felt any pain during or after a dental experience until last week.

I went to have some cavities filled and the dentist needed to give me an extra shot of Novocaine. It was awful because I couldn't feel half of my face for nearly 7 hours and it was very sore for a couple of days. That was nothing compared to the horror I experienced yesterday.....my dentist gave me the first shot in my lower jaw and kept checking on me every few minutes to see how numb my face was getting. He assured me the same nerve for my tongue and lips would numb them and the teeth he was going to work on. He started to drill my teeth and IT HURT LIKE HELL. He was very annoyed and gave me another shot. He waited a few more minutes for it to take effect before DRILLING into my teeth again. It didn't hurt this time until he got to the second tooth, which I immediately felt and did what EVERY NORMAL person in the world would do....flinched when I FELT a drill on my teeth. He looked at me incredulously and said "You shouldn't be able to feel that at all. You need to try to get through this the best you can," and continue to drill my tooth. I squeezed the arms of the chair as hard as I could and got through it.

I am an assertive person and can't believe I didn't say anything while this was happening. I think I was affected by fear and the way he was talking to me. I admit I never told him I take Suboxone so it may be my fault. I have an appointment with my Suboxone doc tonight and will ask her then. To be safe, ask your doc before having any medical procedures done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahJane View Post
well hello to all.. i know i have not written in a while but i have been on to read.. things have been good and i am busy working..
I had to write this and ask for anyone elses experience and get nancy's input..
I had a root canal about a year ago.. i never finshed it because the pain went away and i hate the dentist.. also probably because i was doing so many DOCS that i never felt the damm pain.
well, i woke up monday with a fat face and so much pain that i wanted a train to run over my head.. I went to the dentist in a panic and he gave me peniccilin and said to come back in a week and he would remove the tooth. 2 days later and my face is getting larger and i am now totally demented. i went to the dentist first thing wednesday morning. he took a look at me and frraked out.. saying that i had a massive deep seated infection and needed to have my tooth pulled and it drained imediately or it meant something catastrophical.. i am now thinking.. well.. i am going to die... he put me in the chair with sweet air.. nothing.. more sweet air.. nothing.. more still.. i felt nothing.. then came the numbing shots so that i would feel nothing.. ahh.. well here is where it gets good.. nothing happened.. eight shots of novacaine later and i thought it was numb.. well then he came at me with these huge pliers and things of that sort.. i flew off the chair, shreiking that he must be trying to kill me or something..i calmed down.. he slit my gum and drained it.. Nancy, i felt it all... as i lay there in the chair waiting to see the first signs of the pearly gates and wringing out my tear soaked tissues, i realized what a dummy i was.. i guess i should have told him that i take sub huh???? is that why it would not work for me???? it blocked everything.. what happens if i need a leg off or something??? i am scared to death now.. please tell me there is a solution.. and why didnt the peniccilin work or is that part just coincidence.. i have been on that before and it has worked.. do subs stop all meds??

Sarah jane
subsurvivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2010, 07:25 PM   #14
stp747

Taking sub. does not effect novacaine. My brother, who does not take sub, had the same problem. The dentist gave him more novacaine. Steve
stp747 is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to stp747 For This Useful Post:
Thank You (11-10-2010)
Unread 11-11-2010, 11:19 AM   #15
subsurvivor

I was only sharing my experience to warn potential others. My doctor gave me three separate injections and I still had sensitivity while he drilled. I spoke with my doctor last night and she told me it shouldn't be possible because suboxone binds to receptors in the brain and novocaine is a local anesthetic administered into tissue. However, she admitted she was unaware of whether or not this was tested when the drug trials were completed. I suggest letting your dentist know you are on suboxone.
subsurvivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2010, 02:50 PM   #16
Just_a_Gurl

Sounds to me like a bad dentist. I think that because we are all on this medicine and it's always on our minds (we do have to take it every day) that when something that typically wouldn't hurt does - you blame it on the sub because it's supposed to block pain killers.

My doc. described this to me. He was a neurosurgeon before he went on to psychiatry and he knows the biology better than anyone and since i like to learn stuff like this, he likes to explain to me in detail.

Basically Suboxone makes you feel good AND blocks other opiates by binding to all of the opiate receptors. These receptors feel good when filled because they are the same thing we feel after sex, good food, and even when in love. The more receptors that are filled, the higher you feel.

One person only has so many opiate receptors, taking more opiates will not get your higher if all of the receptors are already filled. So the Sub binds to ALL of your receptors but not perfectly like regular opioid. Instead it takes over the receptor so it makes your brain feel like they are filled, thus giving you a good feeling AND not a feeling of NEED or withdrawl. As you decrease, you are basically training your brain back into what is a normal level of opiate receptors to have filled. So when you are using opiates, your receptors are ALWAYS full which becomes your norm, or homeostasis. If FULL is normal, then when you come down from the high, you are below normal and start to feel bad.

So since the sub ONLY effects your opiate receptors which ONLY control good feelings and not the feeling of pain, then sub only reacts with other opiate receptor pain killers. The neurons that deal with the actual pain sensation are entirely different and things like Novocaine works to interrupt that signal to the brain therefor not even touching the opiate receptors.

Laughing gas, on the other hand, does not have a lot of information with how it effects the brain. What they do know is that it works with neurotransmitters and glutamate receptors and has absolutely no interaction with the opiate receptors.

The brain as so many different departments that fill a specific need so that humor and laughter come from an entirely different place than euphoria and content.

So in closing (hah) Sub can not effect the use of Novocaine and probably doesn't effect laughing gas. Chances are the doc was getting annoyed because he was screwing up!! in proper placement of novocaine can cause all sorts of sensations of pain and random numbness all over your face. My doc once accidentally hit a nerve that numbed my ear and NOT the tooth.
Just_a_Gurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2010, 04:16 PM   #17
MaJaBe

I had a tooth pulled and teeth drilled, and a crown done several weeks ago (while on sub), and when it hurt, the doc gave me more novacaine, until it didn't hurt anymore. They have to put it in the right place, and it only covers so much of an area.
I told him I was on sub, he said it had no bearing on what he was doing.
MaJaBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2010, 03:01 AM   #18
lisa226969

I am so glad that this thread was started. I too need to have some major dental work done, once I am financially in the postion to do so, and have been terrified of going to the dentist. I have very sensitive teeth, even before going on Sub. I am scared to even go get my teeth cleaned, because of how sensitive my teeth are.

I too have had an experience at the dentist where he misplaced the shot of novacaine, and ended up numbing every area, other than the area that needed it. It also felt like an electrical shock when he did it. Unfortunately sweet air does NOTHING for me. I feel so much better after reading all the posts here, knowing that Sub will NOT block novacaine. I can finally put my fears to rest. Thank you.

Lisa
lisa226969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2010, 04:29 PM   #19
willard47

Glad to hear about the novacaine. I'm going to the oral surgeon for a consult in about 2hrs. and I have to tell the doc I'm on suboxone. I know extraction of at least 1 painful tooth (possibly 2) is inevitable, but what really bugs me is how do we control the pain after the numbness wears off. I don't know yet if he is sub-wise and can manipulate the dose. This a little scary for me being a dentist wimp!I 'll have a good talk with him and post the results. I think that even if I had wooden teeth, I'd probably get termites! willard
willard47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2010, 08:40 PM   #20
LKB1956

Hi Willard47, You crack me up. What my dentist gave me after a couple teeth pulled was ibuprophen 800 mg. It sure helped along with the salt water rinses and stuff the following day. Just try NOT to smoke cuz you can get a dry socket and that is the worst pain EVER....I had one....Dont be scared....trust your dentist....Let me know how the consult went. Take care, and good luck...Linda
Unread 11-15-2010, 09:50 PM   #21
willard47

Hi Linda, nice to talk to people that relate to tooth pain!! The consult was ok, i had to educate my doc on suboxone but that went well. The first procedure will involve pulling a large 3-root molar (abcessed), the 2nd thing is aroot canal through a preexisting crown (another 3-rooter). My concern, the pain, i will have the motrin on hand and salt water. I'll talk to the sub doc tomorrow to plan post pull pain control without norco. I can't believe I said that but it's part of getting healed. Thanks Luckily I quit smoking many moons ago, but dry sockets are the pits!! Willard

Last edited by willard47; 11-15-2010 at 09:51 PM.. Reason: spelling
Unread 11-16-2010, 02:25 AM   #22
FuzzyBunny

Default Dentist

Glad to hear so many different dental experiences and thought I'd add my 2cents. I've had quite a bit of dental work since I've gone on sub, including several teeth pulled. My dentist doesn't use nitrous, so I wouldn't know about that, but I have had to have extra novocaine shots. I think that was because the nerves were really deep, though, and not from any effect of the sub. So if you're not getting any effect from the novocaine it's almost sure to be a failure on your dentist's part. Fortunately mine will stop, do more shots, then wait and start again.

The thing I found most interesting, though, was that I've always used the dentist as a good source of vikes and such, and always thought pain after having teeth pulled was terrible. I've found that after the shots wore off the last few times, there was hardly any pain. I think it's because I know the option of taking opiates and having them work is off the table so my body doesn't try to manufacture pain. Whereas when I knew I was going to get what I wanted it amped up the pain to make sure I asked for plenty. Just a thought, anyway...

Fuzzy
FuzzyBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2010, 12:56 PM   #23
willard47

Good one bunny, i guess there is a strong mental influence involved in most pain. I'll find out in another week. Willard
Unread 07-31-2011, 07:31 AM   #24
deedle

Hey Sarah Jane ..I've had osteomyelitis for a couple
of years (its indeed what got me hooked on pills)
it's a bone infection ..what your tooth would have turned into
if not treated. I. know this post is late but wanted to
let you know when a tooth is that infected, Novocaine
wont touch the nerve one bit. the dentist KNEW this
and should have given you unconscious sedation options. no opiates required
I'm so sorry you went through that pain. that dentist needs a spanking!
take care of those teeth girl!
Unread 08-09-2011, 12:54 AM   #25
asouth32

im just glad that I had my dental work well some of it before I came clean. I know that might sound bad, but I am a pain wimp!! I mean a HUGE pain wimp, a stumped toe and I start the lip quivering. I dont know if its where Im so tender hearted that I cant take much, because it seems like harsh people can take more than I can. I can tell you that with a pilonidal cyst that reoccurs worse than my TMJ even after having surgery to remove it, I have had bad and good times with the local anethestics. They told me that they were going to give me a pain shot to kinda take the edge off the actual lancing, and then they came in with lidocane to numb the actual site they were going to lance. When they waited after an hour to give me the lidocane, it still hurt because there was so much infection down in there to dig out. I thought that I was dying, but then again Im a wimp to pain. I cried and screamed, finally when the shot started working because to administer the shot they had to go UNDER the spot that was infected basically almost scrubbing my tailbone in the process.
Once it was all said and done, I asked how long would that lidocane last and they said four to six hours.....UMMMM nope, wrong on that one. It lasted at most an hour. But that was probably on normal people who wasnt abusing everything under the sun. I started to feel it fill back up again here just a few days ago and went to crying because I knew if I had to have it lanced, I was basically screwed. Because of the baby that I am when it comes to any type of procedure, I figured that Motrin wouldnt do it. I went and put as much heat to it as possible and finally it popped on its own. This is the nastiest thing that I have dealt with in my life, dog piles arent this bad to me anyways. I am just glad that I lost my sense of smell YEARS ago. I know how it feels when there is a deep infection and you think that the numbing isnt working, I told them I can still feel you give me more numbing stuff. If I can still feel when they go to poke or pry,cut whatever I either go to squalling or making hand gestures to give me more numbing stuff.
I cant imagine what I will do now that I cant take the opiates. I have heard that before surgeries you wean yourself down and then take the opiates and then go back off those and go back on the Sub's but I dont want to do that. I am not looking at having surgery but with this Pilonidal cyst reoccurence, there is a possibility in the future of having it taken out again. I guess that I will have to just eat Motrin but that stuff where I dont have a gall bladder really tears up my stomach. If I take a Motrin and eat, the food doesnt process like it did before when I had a gall bladder and oh I just dont know about it now. Tylenol to me is just like taking a drink of water, I dont find it the least bit effective. There should be a strong pain killer on the same lines like the opiates without the addiciting effects. For years, they claimed it was Tramadol. Wrong there. That stuff to me has worse withdrawals than the Lortabs or Perc's. My husband has gout flare ups or tooth aches from time to time and he would take a couple of my Tramadol and he even claims that the withdrawls on those are terrible. He has said, I can take the Lortabs that the ER gives you to go home with like ten or so and not feel any type of withdrawal effect, but if I take even two Tramadol I get sicker than a dog. We always called it, rats gnawing at your stomach and that is what it feels like when the trams wear off. There is nothing that you can eat to get rid of that feeling either.
There is a sedation that they do around here for tooth procedures, I think its called Versed? Something like that. Its not opiate, not sure though because they give me Fentanyl first. But when the Versed went in, the back of the room expanded and it started looking all 3D. I went to sleep but I remember things about the teeth pullings. It didnt hurt, I felt them tugging on my mouth but I didnt hurt.
I am gonna look further into that Versed and see if its opiate based or not.
asouth32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2011, 12:55 AM   #26
asouth32

ok just looked it up and Versed is categorized as Benzo's....That was a huge NO NO at my dr's visit. She said none of those with the Sub's so I guess that is out of the question. Shame though, it really helped alot.
Unread 08-09-2011, 01:17 AM   #27
deedle

Lightbulb

good news! versed and propyphol (sp? ) are both safe
for us dental wise. I was at the dentist today and we talked. about
future surgery /sobriety situation.
tylenol =sugar pill/liver eater
AND
as for tramadol ...when it first came out in 1995 ...I was in a carwreck
they gave me 1 and I went into anaphylactic shock...an alleregy
callled steven-johnsons syndrome ..spent the summer in a coma
missed hs graduation. so ultram..
NOOOOO THANK YOU ...unless I need a coma..lol
but sounds like you're good in the dental surgery arena.
my dentist called propyphol "Jacko juice"..I felt bad but I did giggle
poor Michael Jackson. once again the dentist proves the warped sense
of humor theory. hope the info helped!!
Unread 08-09-2011, 01:23 AM   #28
asouth32

I think having a warped sense of humor is part of them getting their license. Think about it how warped in the head do you have to be to want to pull teeth out of someone's head with metal utensils while Yanni plays on the speakers above? Ever seen Steve Martin play "The Dentist" on Little Shop of Horrors? That is the way that I feel about all dentists......They have a talent for causing things pain...
Unread 08-09-2011, 01:25 AM   #29
deedle

Thumbs up

versed is a benzo but he says with monitored
anesthesia one dose is safe. but of. course talk with
the dr. also ask about decodron....I. recently had it during dental surgery
its a high powered steroid that kills pain.sub safe.