Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 10-16-2007, 06:28 PM   #1
Jeff47

Default Start Sub Tomorrow (Praying for relief) Help

47 male starting sub tomorrow. Been hooked to op for 4 years and tryed everything to stop; anti-depres, Barbs, drinking, and prayer. The really bad thing and the question I need help with is do I tell my family (wife , child). Have been hideing habit from the world for the hole time - but just can't keep it up. Think I can start and maintain Sub without family support. If i expose the habit could have big very neg. results (past lies and cover ups). What do I do?
Jeff47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2007, 06:47 PM   #2
willito

I think only you can really answer that. I'll just say that I debated letting my family know, was thinking I could do this alone. But the evening after my induction I told them everything. I'm glad I did. I feared they might be angry, hate me,disown me, who knows. But they were happy I was honest with them. They said it helped explain a lot of my "weird" behavior the past few years. And they've been my biggest support group since starting sub. So, if I had it to do all over again, yep, would still come clean. That's just my experience, IMO each person has to decide that for themselves.

Edited to add, Congrats on starting sub, and your new life!
willito is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2007, 06:49 PM   #3
najohn

Hi Jeff47,

I too have been hiding my drug use and now my Sub 'treatment' from my family. I belive my wife knew I was on something while using my DOC. And I'm on day 6 of Sub. and I also believe that she'll notice this different me also? Start Sub none-the-less though! It immediatley (well close to) took the WD away, and made me feel better. It's a tool to use, and along with others, a good one. Please let me welcome you to this site, and stay around. You'll learn a lot! Keep every one posted on how your doing. Don't be surprised at how mant responses you'll get!..........najohn
najohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2007, 06:55 PM   #4
NancyB
Administrator

Hi Jeff47 and welcome. Congratulations on taking the step to get your life back. If you decide not to tell your family, please consider finding a support group and an individual therapist to help you along the way. Of course, we're always here too.

For tomorrow, make sure you're in mild-to-moderate withdrawals before starting bupe. This link to our precipitated withdrawal sheet explains it all. The times mentioned are guidelines, as you know your withdrawals best.
http://www.naabt.org/documents/NAABT_PrecipWD.pdf

Again, welcome.
Nancy
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2007, 07:07 PM   #5
OhioMike

Hi Jeff,

You know, I struggled with this same question for a long time and I too tried many things to beat the disease, before taking this step.

I had great guilt, shame and incredible fear. Fear of failing yet again at trying to beat this and terrible fear and shame of what my family and my wife would think. I could not imagine my life without my wife, as she is my world. MY hear beats in her. There were so many things to consider, so much fear, so many emotions.

I told my wife and she wrapped her arms around me and told me she loved me and that we would beat it together. My older children were supportive, though one was a bit upset. My young son, well he understands it better than the older kids do.

I can tell you this, the day I told my wife, at that moment I have never before felt such relief at any given time.

You do not have to do this alone. These are very hard emotions to deal with, but, you can deal with them and you can beat this disease! I was taking more than 100 vicodin per day and spending more than 130,000 per year to do it. I have my life back and most important, I have my wife and my kids and their respect! There are ways to handle this issue.

Also please remember this, education is the key. For yourself and your wife!

Mike
OhioMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2007, 07:21 PM   #6
najohn

Jeff.......Please follow Nancy's advice and be in mild to moderate withdrawal's. I waited 24 hours after my last high before taking Sub. You have a Dr. I guess, so they probably told you how long to wait before coming in. If not call, but follow Nancy's post. She'll never steer you wrong. I'm 53 in about the same situation you're in and would rather tell my wife I'm working on my problem instead of my problem 'still' working me!

The best to you, and there is plenty of support here........najohn
najohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2007, 11:07 AM   #7
NancyB
Administrator

Hi Jeff47, good luck today. We'd love to hear how you're doing.
Nancy
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote