Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 01-23-2010, 05:59 PM   #1
tania

Default feeling desperate

Help...Today is day four w/o alcohol and the tremors I started to experience yesterday while at work are getting worse. My body feels like your foot does when it goes to sleep. I know this varies from person to person but is there a general time frame of how long this will last and if it might get worse? I know this is stupid but the thought has crossed my mind to go get a bottle. I went into yahoo chat's health rooms but there's not one for alcoholics. Are there any chat rooms available for us anywhere?

Getting desperate or maybe already there. Tania
tania is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2010, 07:39 PM   #2
Saint

Tania,
I never experienced physical withdrawals of the nature you are experiencing. Should your symptoms worsen seek medical help ASAP. Click on the link below regarding alcohol withdrawal.

Is there someone that can stay with you? Good luck and stay in touch.

http://www.alcoholanswers.org/alcoho...withdrawal.cfm
Saint is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to Saint For This Useful Post:
Thank You (01-23-2010)
Unread 01-23-2010, 10:08 PM   #3
CarlyO

Hi and welcome Tania,

Alcohol withdrawals are very serious, can be life threatening. Stopping alcohol if you have you been consuming for a period of time is something that needs to be supervised by a professional.
If you read the link Saint posted - you will see that it is not recommended that you stop "Cold Turkey " since so many factors ( how much alcohol you consumed, how long, any underlying medical conditions to name a few ) play a part in the WD process.
My best suggestion would be to call your physician or go to the ER asap -

I hope you will seek out medical attention, make a plan to deal with the withdrawals safely. Please stay safe, Carly
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
CarlyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2010, 01:51 AM   #4
Magda

My child's father just went into detox last week because of the safety issues associated with quitting alcohol.It is not safe to do this alone, seizures are a strong possibility, you should at least have someone there with you. It can and does get worse.
I will also tell you that I am studying the effects of alcohol for my degree in Addictions Studies and alcohol is one of the top 2 worst detox scenarios for addictive substances.Please, for your own safety- seek assistance with this!
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
Magda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2010, 11:01 AM   #5
tania

Thanks for your comments. I'm writing my symptoms down and will see my doctor this week. Tania
Unread 01-24-2010, 12:23 PM   #6
Saint

Tania,

How are you feeling today?? Carly and Magda have significantly more experience than I with addiction and recovery. Heed their advice. Do not take any more chances with your health. I saw an individual (co-worker)many,many years ago experience alchohol withdrawals and it was severe. This person had a seizure while at work. Fortunately he survived, got the help he needed, got sober and stayed that way. Some people do die from withdrawals so please keep that in mind.

Congratulations on taking the first steps to regaining your life back. Educate yourself about your addiction and con.tinue to post
Stay Strong.

Regards
Unread 01-24-2010, 11:44 PM   #7
CarlyO

Tania, how are you doing ? I hope you will post an update, I know this is scary, but it best to be safe. Take care, Carly
Unread 01-26-2010, 10:19 PM   #8
tania

I'm doing ok but I succumbed to my weakness Sat. night, which alliviated my condition at the time. That day I experienced anxiety and had a panic attack, which might explain the tingling, heart palpitations, ache/pain in my kidney areas, and everything else I was feeling. Life is very stressful at present with my youngest adult son who is in trouble, my 6+ year relationship with a man is over and has been for a long time but we finally severed the knot, my job has been very stressful lately, and I've been contimplating moving out of state. I'd like to say I'm not trying to run away from my troubles but it's basically true.

I quit drinking the whole month of September! only to cave in and spend the weekends drunk again. I quit smoking for almost a month and started again a day or two after Christmas. My son hates my smoking and deplores my drinking and I feel like such a failure! I've let my boys down and have embarrassed them. I get stupid drunk most weekends and have for the last 10 or so years, probably it is more like all their lives, it's just gotten to be the norm for the last 5 to 6. I'm really trying though! Even now I'm watching my intake tonight, which during the week I keep it to usually 4 or less shots but on the weekends, omg, katie bar the door.

I am tired and humiliated not remembering significant conversations and goings on, what I ate, what I did, what I don't do, and I don't like me, which gives me all the more 'reason' to drink and the reason I don't like myself is because I drink, go figure! AND I think I'm going to remember because I feel straight up most of the time. I've lost myself in the bottle and I want 'me' back. I've tried AA and counseling several times, I don't know what else to do. I know I have to quit, I want to quit, I am an alcoholic and though I think I pull it off I bet everyone knows or suspects. Tania
Unread 01-27-2010, 12:22 AM   #9
Magda

So you caved, consider it part of your journey, not a failure. It fixed things for the moment, but that's it. You have to realize that at some point you will reach the state of perpetual weakness and your drinking will have no beginning and no end.Everything you were feeling was WITHDRAWAL.
You probably don't want to hear that running away will solve nothing, but honestly I would not even waste my breath if I did not know it firsthand.
As far as you feeling like a failure with your children- how can you succeed at staying clean when you have no experience in recovery? Your feelings are natural, but for now your main concern needs to be getting treatment.There will be plenty of time later on to work on your feelings of guilt once you have some time sober. You make it very clear that you want to be more that you feel you are right now- but you do not have the knowledge to get yourself out of this situation. You have to be willing to do whatever it takes to stay sober, and without your alterations. You can attend meetings every night of the week, but if you truly do not believe in the process and yourself- there is nothing to make you change.

Reread this aloud:
Quote:
I get stupid drunk most weekends and have for the last 10 or so years, probably it is more like all their lives, it's just gotten to be the norm for the last 5 to 6. I'm really trying though! Even now I'm watching my intake tonight, which during the week I keep it to usually 4 or less shots but on the weekends, omg, katie bar the door.
You are contradicting yourself because you are justifying your drinking.

Trust me, people know the truth about it, but it does not matter what others think. What matters is you getting help to heal your soul. I would bet you have a significant reason you started to self medicate.We all do.
Hell, I had so much crap buried in my head, I did not know where to begin, I wanted to recover on my terms and I did not want to talk to anyone. WRONG ANSWERS. Trust that I did not get far before relapse ensued; over and over and over again.

I have to stress over and over- Your disease is too advanced for you to go at it alone.You are doomed to repeat failure if you keep doing it your way.You are putting your life at risk every time you white knuckle it. If you think it won't happen to you just take a look at the symptoms of your withdrawal in the first post here.
Reach out for help.We are here and care about your recovery.
Magda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2010, 10:07 AM   #10
tania

Magda thanks, I know alcohol has a hold on me for I'm still drinking. I have been able to quit for short periods of time but I fall back into the same boat which eventually sinks. Today I've made the decision not to go to the liquor store after work which I usually do on Wednesdays, it's early in the morning, 6:50, but I am going to keep this mind set, at least I pray I do. My problem is I start getting tremors in my hands and it is noticable while at work. By Sat. I could be a mess again but I am slowly coming to terms with one of the other issues in my life so maybe it won't be as bad. The anxiety attack was a bit much and I sure don't want to experience that again. Time for me to get ready for work, thanks for your encouragement. Tania
Unread 01-27-2010, 03:09 PM   #11
CarlyO

Hi Tania,

Thanks for posting an update. I was really concerned about your symptoms. Everything Magda posted is spot on- I just want to stress that withdrawing from alcohol with medical supervision is not only safer, it also improves your odds of staying stopped long enough to make changes in your life.
You sound like you are fed up with the swings and slides of addiction, use it to motivate you to finding a plan that works for you.
I know people say well I tried XYZ in the past - it did not work, I did the same thing. The main thing I learned is that Ultimately you get back what you are WILLING to put into in any type of help.

Try using the alcohol dependence locator- or at least talk to a doctor and go from there. There are so many options available today, medications that can help with cravings, there are different types of therapies. It is worth a try, this is your quality of life we are talking about - not to mention the impact you posted it has on your kids, it is NEVER too late !

Again, so glad you are ok, keep us posted and if you have any questions, we are here for you.

Take care, Carly : )
Unread 01-27-2010, 05:54 PM   #12
R. Lee

Tinia, Please read my last post to Frankie under the heading (A.A. never worked for me). Just give it a try. Keep posting. At least you are aware of your drinking problem & you are trying to do something about it. That is a start that we all had to confront.
R. Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2010, 10:29 PM   #13
Saint

Tania,

I'm glad to see you posting and doing O.K. I was sober for six months before drinking again. I thought stopping the drinking was all I needed to succeed. I too felt weak of character for not being able to stop when I wanted. I remember the uncontrollable and irresistable urge I had to drink, and I did so. I drank for another 18 months or so before stopping again; hopefully for the last time.

I realized at some point during the second round of drinking I needed to stop drinking for good. I remember hearing about this website on the radio and decided to take a look. I'm certainly glad I have. I've read many, many posts here and have been amazed and in awe at times at what some have overcome to stop their self destructive behavior.
I agree with you that moving will do nothing to cure your problem of addiction. It will follow you where ever you travel too. The path to recovery starts with you, from within. The people here can help you with your struggles and point you in the right direction for the resources needed to help you, help yourself.

You mentioned speaking with your DR. regarding your physical symptoms. Have you followed up? It took me many months to admit to my Dr. I had a problem with alcohol. I found him to be very supportive and not at all judgemental. If I had to do it over I hope I would not wait so long.

Good luck and keep posting, people do care and understand what you're going through.

Stay Strong

Saint
Unread 01-28-2010, 12:29 AM   #14
tania

I am so touched by the responses I've received and I've been on this site long enough, though I've pretty much stayed in the shadows, that I know there are truly people who care and offer support. Thank you all!

I just wish I could sleep for a month and be beyond this and everything else when I wake up.
Unread 01-28-2010, 06:20 PM   #15
R. Lee

Tania, Wish in one hand & crap in the other. What will you have? Even if you could go to sleep for a month, would you still have the same urges? I think so.

Helping the active alcoholic & the new comer who has quit drinking is what keeps me sober. I do not judge you. I just make suggestions
R. Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to R. Lee For This Useful Post:
Thank You (01-28-2010)
Unread 01-28-2010, 10:05 PM   #16
Saint

Tania,

Use all the tools and resources available to help you with your recovery. I think you will find they will benefit not only your recovery but also benefit how you live and handle the inevitable roadblocks one faces in life, in my humble opinion.

At this point in my life (and I qualify that because I am a relative new comer on the path of sobriety) I regard sobriety akin to sitting in front of a fireplace. The roaring fire and dancing flames warm the skin and relax the mind. To get to that point one must first put some work in, cut the tree, split the wood, stack it and let it season. Only then can one enjoy the fruit of your labor.

For me part of the reward is the sense of accomplishment and satisfaction that comes with doing the best you can at whatever you choose to do. I find it applies to my sobriety as well as every other aspect of my life. As I believe Carly mentioned you get out what you put in.

Stay Strong

Saint

P.S. R Lee said it as well with a whole lot less words! Peace
Unread 01-29-2010, 08:47 PM   #17
CarlyO

Hi Tania,
Just checking on you, it's the weekend - have you considered talking to a doctor to get help with the withdrawal phase?

You had mentioned the end of a relationship, that is tough, 6 years is long time to be with someone. Not to pry- don't answer if you do not want to but did alcohol play a part in the demise of the relationship?
It is a loss like others, so give yourself time to grieve, ideally in a healthy manner. When you do decide to make the positive changes in your life, you will be pleasantly surprised at what good things and people will come your way.

Hang in there Tania and take care, Carly : )