Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 05-06-2010, 12:50 PM   #1
Fiedler

Default Sleepwalking!!

Hi all-

Had a weird episode with the A last night and needed some of your wonderful advice. Yes, he is still drinking and yes, he drinks every night before he comes inside the house. But, the weird thing, is that we went to bed at the same time. Then, an hour later, he bolts upright in bed. He gets up and leaves our room, and starts to walk into our daughter;s bedroom. I said "Where are you going?" He answered me, but with something that made absolutely no sense. So I said "What?" and he repeated it again. I tried to wake him by yelling his name, but he just turned around and walked downstairs. So I followed him to make sure he didn't try to go outside. He ended up in his recliner, where he remained for the rest of the night. When I got up this morning I asked him why he was in his recliner and he thought that's where he fell asleep originally. I told him what happened and he doesn't remember a thing. Is this just another step up on the Alcohol Escalator? I was kind of freaked out because what if I didn't wake up? What would have happened? Now I am worried that he might do something to hurt himself or one of us during one of these episodes. What should I do? Just wait to see if it happens again or what? Thanks for any advice I know Iwill be getting soon.

Fiedler
Fiedler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2010, 02:18 PM   #2
CarlyO

Hi Fielder,

Is your husb by chance taking any sleep medications such as ambien , lunesta?
Ambien can cause people to get up from sleeping and not know what they are doing. Mix with alcohol and it can be a disaster.

I would definitely keep an eye on him, it could just be the alcohol- and yes, you are correct, the progression of alcohilsm can manifest itself in many ways. if it continues, he needs to seek help -- as you said, he can put the household in danger.

I do hope it was a one time episode. Keep us posted.

Take Care, Carly
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
CarlyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2010, 09:13 PM   #3
R. Lee

Fiedler, The effects of alcoholism could be escalating. I had a friend who got up after going to bed drunk. He walked to the dresser opened a drawer & urinated in it. He had no recollection of it the next day.
R. Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2010, 01:33 PM   #4
jerryg

Fiedler,
I did a google on the subject of alcohol and sleep disorders. Here is one link from About.com, very interesting.
Jerry
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
jerryg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2010, 01:34 PM   #5
jerryg

Oops!
Here's the link...

http://alcoholism.about.com/cs/alerts/l/blnaa41.htm

Jerry
jerryg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2010, 07:34 PM   #6
Magda

I had a roommate that did stuff like that, he was a heavy drinker. He walked into our neighbor's house and fell asleep on their couch- after being asleep in his room. My neighbor knocked on my door and said, "I think I have something that belongs to you, come here please." I saw him there and was so embarrassed for him. I woke him up and brought him home- he remembered nothing.
Magda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2010, 11:10 AM   #7
mighty

This is called sleep walking. This doesn't happen just because of heavy alcohol. This disorder could be in non drinkers as well.

I think you should bring your huby to a doctor.
mighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2010, 05:27 AM   #8
pitbull2

Also it can be dangerous for you and your daughter as he doesn't remember his sleepwalking and can do everything in such condition. It's a serious illness, indeed.
pitbull2 is offline   Reply With Quote