Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 06-12-2008, 07:35 PM   #1
sueheath

Default Crazy Dreams!!! Am I alone?

I've been on Suboxone for almost 3 months & I'm doing wonderful. However, I am having the weirdest side effect. Every night I have the most vivid, real, disturbing, crazy dreams!!! Every morning I wake up & have to lie there thinking about my dream & rationalizing to myself that it's not real. It's the weirdest thing! Is anyone else experiencing anything like this?
Sue [?]
sueheath is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2008, 08:34 PM   #2
TIM

There was this thread about dreams, and I'm pretty sure some others had mentioned it too.
http://www.addictionsurvivors.org/vb...ad.php?t=13822
Tim
TIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2008, 09:14 PM   #3
spoint1
Way Cool Member

You are SO not alone.
I have actually been finding my very vivid dreams kind of entertaining. Every once in awhile, though, I have one that's scary. However, most of them are just very very vivid and I remember them really clearly.
spoint1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2008, 12:25 AM   #4
staticx79

Every single night since I have stopped my DOC, I go to bed and promptly have a terrifying dream. I "dream" that I am laying down in my bed (just like in real life) and I can open my eyes and see around my room. I am unable to move my body at all. Usually there are subtle, scary, differemces in my room. For example, most times there is a monster/devil/demon type thing in the shadows in the corner of my room. I can "hear" it breathing in a low pitched sort of snarl. It moves closer and closer towards my bed, and a couple times (when I have not been able to "wake" myself up from this, it actually moves into my body and I feel like it is trying to possess me. Once it "possess me" my body starts floating towards the ceiling (and I can actually look down, and I see my real body lying on my bed still asleep. At this point my body starts flying through my room, faster and faster, and I feel like I have no control at all. Sometimes, I believe I have woken up from this, and I try to get up out of bed (sometimes I do get up out of bed). Then I look around and things are still all messed up and I turn and look at my bed and my body is there sleeping, then I realize I have not woke up at all, and that scares the sh!t out of me, and the whole cycle starts again. I have always managed to wake myself up(for real)some time during this point, except once when I was 15. (I have been getting these "dreams" since I was 14, just not every night like I do now). That one time when I was 15, I was living with my parents at the time, and they were in the middle of adding a new room at the side of the house. Well the floor and walls were in, but the roof was not, so it was completely open to the sky. Well, in this dream my body was flying throughout my parents house, got into that room and just starting floating out into the open sky higher and higher. It was the most terrifing thing I had experienced.

Anyway, I have told a few doctors about these experiences, and I found out they are not dreams at all, because I am technically not sleeping during them (I have been to a sleep lab when I was younger). What happens is that my brain goes right into REM sleep (the stage in which we dream) before my body falls asleep. Therefore my eyes are open and able to see my surroundings. However, my brain is in REM stage, which excites the brain into dreaimg, this causes what the Dr's call hypnogogic hallucinations (audio and visual hallucinations, because I can hear things also). When the brain goes to REM stage, it shuts down your movements (this is to prevent acting out dreams physically) This is why it feels like I am paralysed during these episodes. There is no cure for these episodes that I know of, though my Dr have offered certain antidepressants and sleep meds, which work by disrupting REM sleep. The drawback is, people need REM sleep to feel refreshed, so I had opted not to take any meds. When I was younger, I only experienced them once or twice a month, so it really was not a big problem. However, since stopping drugs and starting sub I have 1-2 of these episodes a night. I really hate them, and I have tried lots of things to get rid of them, and nothing has worked. So I have learned things which make the hallucinations not as scary, because before they were so scary I would wake up and start crying (and I am 29 years old, pretty ridiculous, if you ask me) and would be very afraid to fall back asleep. Depending on how scary they would be, sometimes I would stay up all night.

I don't know if you (sue health or spoint) are experiencing the same things I am, but if you are here are some tips:

1) I always sleep with a light on (there are not as many shadows which can exacerbate the "scary" things in my "dreams")
2) I always try to fall asleep facing a well lit plain wall (again, with a well lit plain wall, I usually at least cannot see the scary thing in my hallucination, I can only hear it, which is less scary to me)
3) While in the grips off one of the hallucinations, even though my brain is telling me I am paralysed, if I really concentrate, I can start wiggling my big toe, once I concentrate on that, I can start wiggling my foot, then my whole leg, this usually wakes me up. When that does not work, I try blinking my eyes really fast, that sometimes works, though it is a little harder then wiggling my toes. I also have tried screaming so that my roomate can come in and wake me. This is ALOT harder to do, it requires alot of concentration, and still rarely works. It has only worked for me once when I was younger (my parents heard it and woke me up) and twice with my roomate.
4) Always try your hardest at waking up from one of these--Never give up!!
One time, I actually tried to "let go" during one of these dreams and not focus on trying to wake myself up. I had read at a forum for people with hypnogogic hallucinations, some had tried this and said they became in control of their dream, and it was no longer scary, they said it was actually fun (the term is lucid dreaming I think, people say they can control their dreams, and make them pleasant ones) Well this did not work for me, and it quickly became one of the most frightening experiences I have every been through--I do NOT recommend doing this under any circumstances. I had been so scared I did not let myslef fall asleep again for 4 days (the end of which, I was so tired and half crazy from lack of sleep)

As a side note, those of you reading this whom had never had one of these before, I know I sound pretty crazy and completely childish. I have discussed these with numerous Dr throughout my life, and it is a real medical condition (not psychological). It is actually a quite common symptom of narcolepsy, although rarely people without narcolepsy can get them (narcolepsy has been ruled out in my case)

Anyway, if anybody else has experiences with these and suggestions or tips on how to get rid of them, or at least how to make them less frequent can you please email nancy and get my email from her. I am still struggling with these, and I was embarrassed to mention anything before. I do not want to take a medication that messes with my sleep, though. Thanks in advance!
staticx79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2008, 12:40 AM   #5
Sunny1

Staicx, I know exactly what you are talking about, it's sleep paralysis. I started having this when I got sick in my early 20s with suspected Lyme disease. It doesn't bother me much b/c I rarely get them anymore. The only time I have had them in years is when starting certain medications, mostly with antidepressants. I find that they happen at what would be the beginning of sleep, when I've started to drift off, but I'm not really asleep or upon waking up. Google "sleep paralysis" and you should find more information that will help you understand it. There is some speculation that night terrors in children are in fact episodes of sleep paralysis. Since you have had them since your teen years and yours sound very extreme it might help you to have a complete understanding of the causes.

Mine aren't that extreme and not that often. I can usually get myself out of it by focusing on moving part of my body. It's strangely difficult to get a part of the body to move in this situation. I've also had some of the lucid dreaming which was not unpleasent at all, but I also have had the ones where it feels like there is something evil in the room with you and I can't move or open my eyes. yeah, not fun.

Sue, I've been having some vivid dreaming, but can't say for sure if it's the Suboxone or the Zoloft I started a week ago. Many antidepressants cause extremely vivid dreaming as a side effect and in my experience it gradually gets better with time. For me, most medications that directly have an effect on brain chemicals/neurotransmitters cause me to have vivid dreaming. I was sleeping so little the first weeks on Suboxone that I didn't feel like i was dreaming at all. Then I was sleeping so hard from not sleeping, so I don't recall vivid dreams. Then I think my dreams did become more vivid at that point, but it was also when I started Zoloft.
Sunny1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2008, 01:21 AM   #6
coffeebean

Oh, I am so glad I read this thread! I have that happen to me often. Where I will get into bed and lay down, and almost immediately (or what feels like immediately, but may be a few minutes or something), before I am asleep, I become paralized and have the scariest "dream". It's always the same thing. I will be laying there, "sleeping", and then I open my eyes and there is someone standing outside my bedroom door, kind of lurking in the shadows, watching me. I am terrified and I try to move, scream, wake up, but I cannot do any of those things. It is freaky and I hate it when that happens to me. I have no idea what makes it happen (so I can maybe avoid whatever it is), or how to get them to stop. I have tried the whole "moving a body part" thing, but it is impossible and I cannot do it. I cannot scream or do anything but lay there, feeling sheer terror hoping I can wake up somehow. When I finally do somehow, as soon as I relax again it happens again. This happens at least twice in a row, sometimes more before I can actually go to sleep.The next day I am so tired.

I feel relieved sort of that someone else has had this happen to them, and that there is actually a name for it!!! Thank you guys!!!

Static, I'm sorry you have this happen, and I don't know what to do about it, but if I ever figure it out, I will let you know. Please feel free to let me know if you figure it out as well!

I do sometimes have the vivid, realistic dreams, too. Sometimes I actually wake up laying there wondering about them. This is going to sound so awful, but the one I had the other day when I took a nap, was about my poor cat being killed by my BF's nephew who lives next door. It was graphic and SO disturbing!!! I actually looked for my cat when I woke up.

I don't think any of these things are from the sub. I don't know what is causing them. I have had realistic, vivid dreams since I was a small child. This one dream I had for a few years. This is really weird, but I dreamed I was drowning in cardboard boxes. It would start out that I would be in this tiny house, waiting by the door. There was a table by the front door with a telephone on it. The phone would ring, I would answer it then hang up screaming. Then the front door would open and a dump truck filled with cardboard boxes would come. I would be in the back, drowning in them, and it would take me and dump me into a sea of them where I would continue drowning. I had this dream for a few years. I was also in girlscouts. And one day one of my girlfriends in my troop drowned. She was 12. I was 10 at the time. And after she drowned, I never had that dream again. It was very vivid, though, every single time I had it, and I still remember that dream crystal clear like it was yesterday and I am 30 years old. Anyway, that's another weird dream thing.

Coffee...
coffeebean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2008, 01:29 AM   #7
Sunny1

Stat and Coffee,
when you have the sleep paralysis do u think ur eyes are open? Sometimes it feels like my eyes are open and sometimes it is more like I feel the presence of something, or see images, but I don't think my eyes are actually open when it happens. I dunno. It's very strange. It scared the hell out of me when I first got them. It is terrifying, especially in the middle of it when you are trying to fight it off and get back into reality. I've had them where I felt like the devil/devil like entity was moving closer and closer to me and I am trying to run, but can't move. I try with all my strength to get my eyes to open or to move anything b/c it's getting closer. I feel aware, but frozen. Oh, I've tried to scream too and that doesn't work. I try not to think about it so I can't remember many details from them.
Unread 06-13-2008, 01:54 AM   #8
gotitang

I'm not a dream Expert but have gone to many dream groups....The most common reason for a "paralizing" dream relates to something going on in your life! These dreams usually (think back to the times in your life when you have these) happen when for example: Your at work and a project is due! It is not coming together as planned and you are getting resistance at every turn. Your Paralyezed....Reality is that the answer is right in front of you but you are NOT SEEING! (hence in the dream your trying to open your eyes!) The dream is warning you!!!! It is trying to get you to see! Our sub-consious has no filters....It cannot speak the way we having learned to comunicate... This is just an example...Look at what is going on in your life.,, Something is causing you fear! A fear you are NOT willing to acknowledge on a Concious level.... When you address this issue... The dream will subside....It will repeat itself thru our life in different issues but with the same commonality! The underlying issue always being the same! What are you not seeing that has you stuck!
ps if this doesn't fit! I'm full of s**t and just giggle! But if the shoe fits..... HMMMMMMMm

OOOPS I forgot to say the details aren't important! (you know like what is happening around you!) The main Theme is the message!
gotitang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2008, 02:07 AM   #9
Sunny1

I think I get what ur saying gotit, but "sleep paralysis" and "hypnagogic hallucination" are disorders, not dreams that are to be interpreted. It's a medical condition.

Vivid dreams and lucid dreaming are also not exactly normal dreams and I wouldn't bother to interpret any meaning from them since they are brought on by certain medications. It isn't like just having a real vivid dream as opposed to dreams that don't stand out, it's more like an onset of extremely vivid, high contrast dreams brought on after starting certain meds. I know that antidepressants can cause it, not sure about Suboxone.
Unread 06-13-2008, 03:24 AM   #10
flier1

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by staticx79

Every single night since I have stopped my DOC, I go to bed and promptly have a terrifying dream. I "dream" that I am laying down in my bed (just like in real life) and I can open my eyes and see around my room. I am unable to move my body at all. Usually there are subtle, scary, differences in my room. For example, most times there is a monster/devil/demon type thing in the shadows in the corner of my room. I can "hear" it breathing in a low pitched sort of snarl. It moves closer and closer towards my bed, and a couple times (when I have not been able to "wake" myself up from this, it actually moves into my body and I feel like it is trying to possess me. Once it "possess me" my body starts floating towards the ceiling (and I can actually look down, and I see my real body lying on my bed still asleep. At this point my body starts flying through my room, faster and faster, and I feel like I have no control at all. Sometimes, I believe I have woken up from this, and I try to get up out of bed (sometimes I do get up out of bed). Then I look around and things are still all messed up and I turn and look at my bed and my body is there sleeping, then I realize I have not woke up at all, and that scares the sh!t out of me, and the whole cycle starts again. I have always managed to wake myself up(for real)some time during this point, except once when I was 15. (I have been getting these "dreams" since I was 14, just not every night like I do now). That one time when I was 15, I was living with my parents at the time, and they were in the middle of adding a new room at the side of the house. Well the floor and walls were in, but the roof was not, so it was completely open to the sky. Well, in this dream my body was flying throughout my parents house, got into that room and just starting floating out into the open sky higher and higher. It was the most terrifying thing I had experienced.

Anyway, I have told a few doctors about these experiences, and I found out they are not dreams at all, because I am technically not sleeping during them (I have been to a sleep lab when I was younger). What happens is that my brain goes right into REM sleep (the stage in which we dream) before my body falls asleep. Therefore my eyes are open and able to see my surroundings. However, my brain is in REM stage, which excites the brain into dreaming, this causes what the Dr's call hypnagogic hallucinations (audio and visual hallucinations, because I can hear things also). When the brain goes to REM stage, it shuts down your movements (this is to prevent acting out dreams physically) This is why it feels like I am paralysed during these episodes. There is no cure for these episodes that I know of, though my Dr have offered certain antidepressants and sleep meds, which work by disrupting REM sleep. The drawback is, people need REM sleep to feel refreshed, so I had opted not to take any meds. When I was younger, I only experienced them once or twice a month, so it really was not a big problem. However, since stopping drugs and starting sub I have 1-2 of these episodes a night. I really hate them, and I have tried lots of things to get rid of them, and nothing has worked. So I have learned things which make the hallucinations not as scary, because before they were so scary I would wake up and start crying (and I am 29 years old, pretty ridiculous, if you ask me) and would be very afraid to fall back asleep. Depending on how scary they would be, sometimes I would stay up all night.

I don't know if you (sue health or spoint) are experiencing the same things I am, but if you are here are some tips:

1) I always sleep with a light on (there are not as many shadows which can exacerbate the "scary" things in my "dreams")
2) I always try to fall asleep facing a well lit plain wall (again, with a well lit plain wall, I usually at least cannot see the scary thing in my hallucination, I can only hear it, which is less scary to me)
3) While in the grips off one of the hallucinations, even though my brain is telling me I am paralysed, if I really concentrate, I can start wiggling my big toe, once I concentrate on that, I can start wiggling my foot, then my whole leg, this usually wakes me up. When that does not work, I try blinking my eyes really fast, that sometimes works, though it is a little harder then wiggling my toes. I also have tried screaming so that my roommate can come in and wake me. This is ALOT harder to do, it requires a lot of concentration, and still rarely works. It has only worked for me once when I was younger (my parents heard it and woke me up) and twice with my roommate.
4) Always try your hardest at waking up from one of these--Never give up!!
One time, I actually tried to "let go" during one of these dreams and not focus on trying to wake myself up. I had read at a forum for people with hypnagogic hallucinations, some had tried this and said they became in control of their dream, and it was no longer scary, they said it was actually fun (the term is lucid dreaming I think, people say they can control their dreams, and make them pleasant ones) Well this did not work for me, and it quickly became one of the most frightening experiences I have every been through--I do NOT recommend doing this under any circumstances. I had been so scared I did not let myself fall asleep again for 4 days (the end of which, I was so tired and half crazy from lack of sleep)

As a side note, those of you reading this whom had never had one of these before, I know I sound pretty crazy and completely childish. I have discussed these with numerous Dr throughout my life, and it is a real medical condition (not psychological). It is actually a quite common symptom of narcolepsy, although rarely people without narcolepsy can get them (narcolepsy has been ruled out in my case)

Anyway, if anybody else has experiences with these and suggestions or tips on how to get rid of them, or at least how to make them less frequent can you please email Nancy and get my email from her. I am still struggling with these, and I was embarrassed to mention anything before. I do not want to take a medication that messes with my sleep, though. Thanks in advance!

Yes the REM, is very scary, I use to have them and you would think you are awake but something is different, it was very scary for me.

On Sub I noticed I dont have the REM anymore but I do have very scary nightmares but those I can handle cause I know they are dreams but the REM stuff I use to not want to sleep after having them

Helen
flier1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2008, 03:30 AM   #11
KevO

I havent had any crazy dreams, however I have been having trouble sleeping since I got on sub. The last couple nights these problems seem to be subsiding. I was having problems staying asleep, and was suffering a lot of sleep jolts (which seem to have been brought up by a couple other people lately also), where I would sleep for about 20 or 30 minutes and then suddenly just wake up all confused. I adjusted my dose time, and started taking my afternoon dose at 4pm instead of 6pm, and this seems to have helped.

For me, melatonin always produced the most vivid, crazy dreams. I would always remember my dreams almost every time I took melatonin. Generally, one only remembers a dream if you actually wake up, or come out of REM during the dream...so the reason you are probably vividly remembering so many dreams is probably because you are going in and out of REM all night, and possibly waking up numerous times during the night...am I right?

Oh, and Helen...I have ALWAYS had the exact problem you have with the REM dreams. I cant count how many times I have woken up in the middle of the night, feeling like I was paralyzed, thinking I was possibly dead or something. The weird thing is, even though it happens so many times..you get fooled EVERY single time, and since you are in REM, you cant decipher reality and it is always an unpleasant experience.

I can remember having these dreams as early as 3 or 4 year old!

Does anybody else have the weird types of dreams where you fall asleep, and EVERY single time your brain goes into REM there is almost like a SHOCK, or a weird rumbling sound? Then as soon as you "wake up" (all youre doing is opening your eyes), it stops, and then this repeats several times? This has scared me to the point where I wake up and I am parylized and I actually have to FIGHT my brain to wake up. My ex-fiance used to have to shake me awake, because I would be trying SOOO hard to move or wake up that I would be making a mumbled moan, because in my dream I was trying to SCREAM, but all that was physically coming out was a slight moan. I would also sometimes wake up kicking and flailing my arms because of this.
KevO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2008, 04:32 AM   #12
momof2boys

My goodness I am so glad I dont have these problems!!! Staticx i feel for you, but you really seem like you have it all under control.

In my psychology class i learned a whole lot about the sleep cycle. My teacher told us that when you are dreaming it is actually your minds way of sorting through your thoughts and problems. Then there is the other stage where your body gets the most physical rest. She said that if we are sleeping for about 8 hours then we go through all sleep stages about 2 times. I think there is 4 stages in all. She said that if we are real stressed our about something or have a lot of stuff on our minds then we will stay in REM for longer. If we are more physically tired then we will stay in the stage that heals our body.

All of it was really cool to learn about. I loooved that class.

The only wierd stuff i have had was a few times I was dreaming but I knew that it was a dream in my head while I was dreaming it. It was like I was dreaming but I was slightly awake enough to know that it was just a dream. Quite a few times I had been having a scary dream and was able to wake myslef up. SOunds similar to what staticx has but not nearly as scary or severe. it dont happen often. It has never been scary for me, it actually helps when Im having a scary dream since I can wake myself up.

I love dreams. I have one in particular that I like to have. it a dream about stuff before i became a wife and mother. Its so real and i feel like a teenager again, I guess I am a teenager in the dream. its silly but it always makes me feel good in the morning, then I open my eyes and i have a tiny foot in my face, but thats nice too.

KevO- you are kind of paralyzed and thats why you feel it. when you a dreaming your body is paralyzed, otherwise you would be fighting and screaming and beating your sleep partner up.
You may have already known that.
momof2boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2008, 08:46 AM   #13
Joanne

KevO,

I used to have the same experience. I would almost feel as though my brain was having a seizure, but I wasn't shaking or anything. I was awake, but I would fight to move my body or even open my eyes all the way. Then I would drift back to sleep sort of, and it would happen over and over again. When I was a teenager I used to think I was possessed or something. It was very scary. I've never known, or received an answer from any professional on why this occurs. But you are not alone with it.

~Joanne
Joanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2008, 08:57 AM   #14
staticx79

Wow, I am so glad I actually posted, and that I am not the only one this happens to! Thanks everyone! I had another one last night, it wasn't so bad, I was able to shake my foot and "wake up". I feel sorry for everyone else who gets them, but it really feels good to know that I am not alone.

It is so weird to me that even though this happens all the time, and I "know" it is not real, I still get so freaked out by it. No matter how many times it happens, I still get as scared as the first time. Oh well.

The funny thing is, when I was younger, I had noticed that every time I drank alcohol, I would never get them. As long as I would have at least 2 drinks, I would not have an episode. Alochol must interfer with the slep cycle and maybe prevent REM sleep or something, maybe that is why even if you sleep 10 hours after a night of drinking you still are very tired when you wake up. When I was like 16 I would sneak beers out of my dads fridge in the basement every night just so I would not have these "dreams". Not that I am saying this is some kind of cure, as I am not going to start drinking ever night just to prevent them. But it is an interesting little fact.

Sunny1- I am not sure if my eyes are really open or not, but during the "dream" I do look around my room, and I feel like I can see everything in room, in the exact vantage point from which I fell asleep. I can see my clock, which I sometimes would pay attention to the time, and when I "woke up" it would be the right time. I don't know if what I am seeing is real, or part of the hallucination.

At some point in my life, it might be nice to sleep without a night lite, but they are not interfering that much with my life (I am just a little more tired than usual), it is really the biggest problem I have had since getting into recovery, so I cannot really complain! But it does ease my mind a little to know I am not a freak, and this does happen to other people. Thanks everyone!
staticx79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2008, 12:24 PM   #15
gotitang

Sunny1 AHHH okay...missed it.....duhhhhh.....I KNEW THAT! Reaaallly I did...swear.....
wink...LOL
gotitang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2008, 01:20 PM   #16
flier1

I use to lay in bed during one of the weird dreams and my eyes would be open and I knew that I was still asleep and I would scream for my husband and when I could get my arms moving I would slap myself in the face so hard just trying to wake up and when I would my husband would still be sound asleep and I would jump up to look in the mirror to see if I had a red mark on my face, which I didn't, thank god. But like I said I dont notice them to much now but I also take Trazadone and I dont know if that maybe has something to do with not having them anymore either .

Helen
flier1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2008, 02:16 PM   #17
sueheath

WOW...I am so happy I started this thread. After I posted it yesterday I was worried that no one would reply, man was I ever wrong!

StaticX: I'm glad you were able to share your disturbing dream experiences with us, thank you. After reading your post I feel lucky. My dreams are in NO WAY like yours, thank goodness. I can't imagine going to bed knowing that when I closed my eyes I would have an episode like you described. How do you get used to that & do you actually ever feel rested? I am sending pleasant thoughts your way & hope they can enter your dreams. Also, I learned a technique to meditate & concentrate on a particular person so that I can send positive energy to them. I will be concentrating on you for the next few days, so if your dreams get better...

Coffee: My dreams are like your cat dream that you described. Very vivid & most are unfortunately negative and/or dark in nature. There is always a lot of extreme emotions of anger, frustration, hate, envy, etc. I have been on zoloft for 8 months, but didn't start these dreams until I quit my DOC & starting Suboxone 3 months ago.

Thanks to everyone for sharing your night time experiences. We are all so fortunate to have this electronic family (that was cheesy, but it sounded good to me [:I]).

Sue
Unread 06-13-2008, 03:33 PM   #18
barkeep37

when I was young I had the exact same type of ecperinces. It happened to my older brother as well. we ust to call it being held down. I would have the bad themed dreams. somtimes just gruesome. deformed babys in my room with me all screaming. To add a somthing to the mix I always experinced a very loud ringing in my ears right before,during, and right after the episode.
barkeep37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2008, 03:57 PM   #19
phone

To all people with nightmares: (I've had may paralysis/lucid F'd up dreams from using btw) - I want to just say one thing though,
I had to research dreams cuz little bro had nightmares and couldn't wake up from them.

We were told by professional for him to have his "weapons" or "powers" by his bed (we drew a sheet of bow/arrow/spears, Flying, invisible, etc/) for him to use if needed to PROTECT himself in the dreams.
We also learned (LIKE STAT SAID) to "go to your hand" (stat goes to her toe). This way, when we are paralyzed, we can get one finger moving, then the hand, then likely the body will wake up....

These two tricks took away my poor little 4 yo's nightmares. They must have been hell cuz he lived w/ tweekers for over 3 years.
from a hellish existence. BTW, he is 10 now and doing really great. No nightmares that he remembers at least.

GOod luck! E
phone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2008, 02:14 PM   #20
sueheath

Tim,
I forgot to thank you for recommending the link. The info was very helpful in addition to all the responses from everyone on this thread.

I really enjoy reading about everyone's dreams, let's keep this thread going. Anyone else want to share?
Sue
Unread 08-12-2008, 11:49 PM   #21
Fish

Used to have those para-zinging dreams where you can excite yourself to go a trillion miles per hour through dark blackness until I caught on and started essentially saying to myself... "BRING IT!" Kinda like I know this is not going to hurt me so go faster and start swinging if you see something to hit.... they stopped.
Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2008, 02:58 PM   #22
grace22

I have always had super crazy terrifying nightmares, too. It is a relief to know I am not the only one. I have spoken to many people about this over the years - doctors, friends, family, etc. and no one could believe I had so many nightmares (at least 2 or 3 a week my whole life) - these dreams are so terrifying and real that I can feel the pain & wake up crying many times. I dream about me being totured, raped, killed and other people I love being hurt or dying. I always wondered if something was wrong with me. The two most recent dreams I had were of being tied up, locked in a freezer & having the house the freezer was in set on fire & smelling the smoke and knowing I was going to die. The other was about my beloved sister-in-law getting killed (we just found out she is pregnant) & experiencing such raw grief from me and my baby brother (her husband) - I was so happy when I woke up and realized it was just one of my dreams.
grace22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2009, 11:20 PM   #23
Christine65

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoint1 View Post
You are SO not alone.
I have actually been finding my very vivid dreams kind of entertaining. Every once in awhile, though, I have one that's scary. However, most of them are just very very vivid and I remember them really clearly.

I'm having vivid dreams, too. Haven't been scary so far. Just entertaining. Like going to sleep and watching movies. They're about things I would have never thought of in my waking hours.

Christine

Last edited by Christine65; 09-05-2009 at 11:21 PM.. Reason: spelling
Christine65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2009, 11:53 PM   #24
vhappy

Wow so glad to hear that I am not the only one having these dreams. I have had the same kind of paralyzing dreams sinse I was a kid. Sometimes when I can't come out of them, whatever it is jumps on me and gets me. I also want to scream out to my husband but can't. I have to focus really hard and move a finger or toe to come out of it. It is weird to kinda be awake and know what's going on. Also I can often see myself laying on the bed, like I am up on the ceiling looking down. I also fly around sometimes really fast. The flying ones I wake up and have this feeling of something evil, not of this world. The really bad ones I get out of bed, get some water. If I don't I will go back to sleep and right back into the dream. I really had vivid scary dreams on DOC, and less on suboxone, but I have had them all my life. I notice they come on when I am stessed or tired. I also have these little minnie dreams when I am watching a comercial and am tired at night. I never had these before suboxone and feel that these are related. It seems to be a sign for my to drop my dose very slightly.
Vhappy
vhappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2009, 11:49 AM   #25
Done

Well add me to the list.....I have been having them since my teens. Neurologist told me they were night terrors....and I told him that I have to kick, to wake myself up...which is very very difficult. Once i do wake up if i dont get out of bed and drink some water, use the bathroom, i will go right back into the same night terror.

My neurologist said that if it is a night terror, moving is impossible, I told him that I have been dealing with this as long as i can remember, and it took a lot to wake myself.

There was one time i just went with it....and it was wild....flying/doing flips etc. And this is gonna sound weird, really really weird, but when it was done, i felt myself fall back onto the couch....then i was completely awake.

I am on less then 1mg of sub............

I wonder if people with night terrors are more prone to addictive activities?

Usually when they start I feel like my brain gets an electric type of shock....so I have go to get up, or it starts....
Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2009, 06:00 PM   #26
mom_of_2

I know since starting subxone I can actually "feel" again. I am not numb anymore. I think this has contributed to my increasing vivid dreams. I think since I was so numb for so many years it blocked something (if this makes any sense). Now I also have all these feelings awake and asleep. It feels good to feel "alive" again and able to enjoy the good and bad that life brings my way. Anyway, that is just my 2cents.
mom_of_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2009, 04:27 AM   #27
apple26

OMG I wasnt even a member til I woke up from this crazy "coma" like dream again tonite and had to figure out if it was suboxin doin this to me I have been on suboxin for 4 months now the dreams started a few months ago every nite I go to sleep a deep sleep of sum sort cause I wake up n feel like ive been asleep forever tryin hard n my head to wake myself up stand up n my dreams i cant wake up or stand up im like jello sumtimes scary dreams sumtimes just scary cuz i cant wake up its nuts i wake up feelin like ive been asleep forever look n its been an hr if im lucky
apple26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2009, 11:29 PM   #28
murphyluvnlife

Default Dreams!

I have crazy, vivid, and sometimes very emotonal draeams on this medication. I talk in my sleep and thrash around all night. I guess I just chalk it up to being a small price to pay for being released from active addiction. Id ather be dreaming in my own place (Where the rents paid!)than in that prison cell or in that dope house!!
murphyluvnlife is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to murphyluvnlife For This Useful Post:
Thank You (11-02-2009)
Unread 11-01-2009, 11:54 PM   #29
pitbull

I've had those paralyzed experiences too! I'd be wide awake...terrified, in fact, and unable to move without really concentrating. They kind of peaked when I was in my late teens, but still occur from time to time. It's nice to know I'm not the only one. People always look at you like you're crazy when you try to explain it to them. It would certainly be interesting to know if there is any research on the correlation between this phenomena and the brain pathology of addiction.
pitbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2009, 07:25 AM   #30
NancyB
Administrator

Hi pitbull, this thread has a bunch of information on sleep paralysis and Hypnagogic Jerks:

http://www.addictionsurvivors.org/vb...ad.php?t=12654

Has a bunch of external links in there also that might be interesting.

Hope it helps.

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2010, 01:40 AM   #31
Chase

It's giving me crazy dreams, too! I love it though. I haven't been able to dream in so long because of using the H I guess.. I'm glad I found this thread though..there was nothing about it when I googled.
Chase is offline   Reply With Quote