Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 06-27-2013, 10:30 PM   #1
Everly5

Default 5 years of side effects...

Well I just wanted to know if anyone has had the same side effects. I know my body very well so I knew what was different. First constipation was a major problem, then I've lost so much weight it got scary. Lack of motivation after awhile and I swear my hair thinned out and I'm only in my 20's! Might be from weight loss tho. Headaches sometimes and trouble sleeping! Just thought id put it out there if anyone had the same problems? I also know its a "myth" but my tooth next to where I put my suboxone under my tongue got severely decade. Just on that side. So idk if that has anything to do with that. My biggest problem was losing so much weight and the bathroom thing. Very annoying! Also I'm a chic so my "cycle" was changed, sometimes I wouldn't get it at all. And for me I was able to quit smoking twice while on suboxone. It made it easier for me for some reason.

Last edited by Everly5; 06-27-2013 at 10:37 PM..
Everly5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2013, 11:31 PM   #2
julie48

Only side effect I get is fatigue and lack of motivation. But usually that signals a taper is due which I started two days ago. Good luck.
julie48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2013, 07:35 AM   #3
MicheleJ

Hi Everly5,
I have the usual constipation side effect-- that is actually improving. I'm eating a little better --but I still use my supposorities a few times per week.
Unlike you-- I have gained about 25 pounds!! AWFUL!! None of my clothes fit me!
I've heard that we all need to watch our teeth & gums. I think there was a link to an article posted about that by Tim or Nancy.
Another way we differ-- I hit very early menopause at age 38! So, I have none of that to worry about anymore!!!
I just recently quit smoking on May 5th. I'm THRILLD
Unread 06-28-2013, 10:34 AM   #4
NancyB
Administrator

Hi Everly5, some of those side effects sound like they could have come from too high of a dose - especially the constipation and lack of motivation. Headaches may also occur from too high of a dose too. Did you ever take the medication in the afternoon or later? That causes sleep problems for many.

Here's a link to the page with the side effects Michele mentioned:
http://www.naabt.org/buprenorphine-side-effects.cfm

In general opiates can affect the menstrual cycle - there've been quite a few women here to whom that happened. Here's one thread about that:
http://www.addictionsurvivors.org/vb...ad.php?t=28481

As far as hair, you might want to see a doctor to find out if there's an underlying problem. Maybe have your hormones checked as that can be a cause:
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/hai...SECTION=causes

"Hormonal factors
The most common cause of hair loss is a hereditary condition called male-pattern baldness or female-pattern baldness. In genetically susceptible people, certain sex hormones trigger a particular pattern of permanent hair loss. Most common in men, this type of hair thinning can begin as early as puberty.

Hormonal changes and imbalances can also cause temporary hair loss. This could be due to pregnancy, childbirth, discontinuation of birth control pills or the onset of menopause."

Hope that's helpful.

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2013, 08:50 PM   #5
Kevin0

Wow amazing just goes to show me how everyone is so different. My problem is I've gained weight while on Subs, so much that that has become my predominant issue causing a long list of nasty side effects. I don't believe its the Subs that cause the weight gain per say but I do believe that long term opiate usage of any kind, even subs, tends to allow us, me, to let things go. Things being stuff like exercise and eating right. I've become an ice cream junkie, ugh!
Kevin0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2013, 12:15 AM   #6
julie48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin0 View Post
Wow amazing just goes to show me how everyone is so different. My problem is I've gained weight while on Subs, so much that that has become my predominant issue causing a long list of nasty side effects. I don't believe its the Subs that cause the weight gain per say but I do believe that long term opiate usage of any kind, even subs, tends to allow us, me, to let things go. Things being stuff like exercise and eating right. I've become an ice cream junkie, ugh!

Me too!! I gained almost 30lbs. And I am so bummed!! Trying to lose it and it sucks!!!! Your not alone!!!!!
julie48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2013, 12:07 PM   #7
Amy412

Hello,
I find all the different side effects very interesting as I never really know if what I am going thru is a side effect or is caused by another problem or disease. I was on methadone for 7yrs then suboxone almost 4yrs. I started on 24mgs a day and in the last month have dropped down to 10mgs a day. Here are all the problems I have, possible side effects I guess too.
Definately bad constipation. The only thing with this is I also have stage IV endometerosis and after a colonoscopy have found that the endo has adhered my intensines to other body parts. So constipation- side effect or from my endo??? Not sure.
Complete lack of motivation and also very fatigued most of the time. I am dx with hypothyriodism and am on synthriod for it. I also suffer from deepression and am on welbuturin. Also just found out I have a horrible vit D. defficency. So side effect from subs, welburtin or just depression in general or is my hypothryiodism casuing this??? Again, dont know.
Very low to non exsisting libido. I do think this one may actually be a side effect from the subutex, but depression meds and depression itself can also interefere with libidio. I do know that I really would like to have a sex drive again. I am hoping that my new taper will fix this and possibily help with some of the other "side effects" I have.

I guess in the end, maybe we shouldnt just chalk everything up to side effects. There is a chance that you may have something else going on in your body or some other disorder or disease. So I think it is very important to also talk to your reg Dr about these problems. It took many years for me to find out about my stage 4 endo. Only was dx after 3 years of infertility treatments and surgery. That was also how I found out about my hypothyriodism. I found out about my vit D defficency jsut a couple months ago after seeing my Dr for a physical and having b/w for anything that can cause extreme fatigue.
Now with that said. I am being treated for my other disorders, yet I still have these "side effects". I imagine I would feel alot worse if I wasnt being treated for my depression, vit D and hypothriodism, but I still have all the side effects I mentioned above.

I also see weight gain mentioned. I also gained alot of weight. Hypothyriodism could have caused the weight gain though. I did however just loose 30lbs! I started counting calories. I havent even been exercising as I have no motivation what so ever, but just cutting out all those calories and fatty foods have helped me to loose 30lbs in under 7 months. My constipation situation has improved because I make sure to eat food rich in fiber. That has made life a little less miserable.

So ya, side effects always peak my intrest because I never really know if I am expiernecing side effects or if it is actually an underlying issue.

As I taper and my dose becomes lower and lower I am really interested in seeing if these side effects improve. I will make sure to let you all know if I see a difference. I would really love to have more motivation and not feel so tired all the time.
Amy412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2013, 07:44 AM   #8
Kevin0

Thanks Julie, it really does help knowing I'm not alone, even though I can't see you it's good to know that I'm not the only person on the face of the planet who's experiencing these sorts of challenges. I can still remember clearly 20 years ago (more or less i stink with time references) when i was first becoming addicted to the painkillers, i truly had no idea what was happening. That was back before it had become a national epidemic and in the news every other time you read the paper, like it is now. I recall clearly how insane i felt because i was finding myself doing things, saying things, whatever it took to get the drugs, and it literally didn't occur to me i was simply becoming addicted. Till finally, i ended up in an ER with a near fatal overdose and ended up in my first hospital detox, scary! That first one really stuck out cause my insurance would only pay for a hospital in a not so nice part of town and my roommates were criminals, heroin addicts, the unit was locked down, how had I gotten here...
Yes, Subs really are a million times better than that, that is for certain! Still, I know I won't rest until I'm off all of it. I'm currently contemplating checking myself into a 30 day treatment facility to get off the last bit. I've done two 30 day treatments over the last five years or so but having started at super high doses of 96mg per day, the taper couldn't be done in 30 days and both times i left having not fully detoxed. Thats the hard part the fact that it takes so long. Even cold turkey it goes and goes for days, weeks, months...of course its like day 3 or 4 till the hard part begins, then it just gets worse, and worse, there's nothing else I've ever experienced in life thats as harrowing as detoxing off opiates, nada. I've busted bones, torn ligaments, buried love ones, said goodbye to beautiful girlfriends and none of those things hurt one tenth as much as a cold turkey detox, ugh! Ok I'll stop here, didn't mean to regress into a diatribe about the hell of cold turkey but its a strong memory, that memory is I believe what makes it so hard to face it again because now I know, and now it'll be harder since its been so many years...so my plan is to keep tapering and get down to maybe 8mg a day then check in. Treatment is expensive, even the "cheap" one that I'll go to isn't cheap, so really that also comes into the equation. If it were free I'd of done it and done it till i was done but its not free. Its been so good dropping my dose from 40mg a day for the last several years to 16 and feeling better, amazing! I'm grateful for even this because its one step closer. All the best to all of you fighting this horrible disease my heart goes out to each and everyone of you!
Unread 07-07-2013, 08:04 AM   #9
NancyB
Administrator

Hi Kevin0, please rethink about going inpatient when you get to 8mg. That's still a high dose to stop from and likely is not doable in 30 days. I can't believe you were at 40mg a day. The ceiling is around 12mg, so there was really no reason to be at that dose and for years.

Please take a look through this thread and different people's taper stories:
http://www.addictionsurvivors.org/vb...ad.php?t=16678
Concentrate on the good ones and you can learn from the bad ones also. But there are many many people who have tapered off with little in the way of withdrawals. Take your time, exercise, don't go too fast. The drop from 40 to 16 was likely easy because your dose was so high past the ceiling, that all of that extra wasn't doing anything, except for exacerbating any side effects.

Also, think about starting a thread in the taper section and we'll support you along the way.

http://www.addictionsurvivors.org/vb...splay.php?f=80

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2013, 10:09 PM   #10
Kevin0

Thank you Nancy thats nice to know that I'll have some support, one thing I do know is none of this is possible all on my own. And yes, I'm still considering going inpatient, i know from experience that it helps immensely to have someone there withholding the drugs no matter how badly I'm feeling. Left to my own devices well, I don't like to feel badly, what addict does? For that matter, what person does...

Yet I know feeling badly is the way through to feeling good again, at least I hope it is. I am still nervous about the big looming question of if I'm one of those people that needs to be on it indefinitely, or not. I guess the only way to really know that is to be without it for a good period of time maybe a year or more? And not off myself in the interim, ha! Ok, that was a joke although, not funny I know, addiction is no joke! Truth be told if my body would have allowed me I'd likely just stay on it albeit at a far lesser dosage. I'm hoping my side effects lessen as the dosage lessens, i'm rather confident they will.

And yes interestingly I was thinking about that the fact that I've yet to start a thread, i will do that sometime soon. Unless I'm in patient that is...