Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 01-18-2011, 10:19 PM   #1
erikanh80

Default Film issues....reckitt benckiser

I had posted a month ago about my issues with the film, getting painful, burning blisters, peeling & tightness under my tongue from using the strips.

With advice recieved on here, I reported it to MEDWATCH online.

Well Reckitt Benckiser called my house today! They got my report and said they are taking these issues very seriously right now....as the film is so very new to the market. Since it is so new, they said they are testing strips to further see what they can do to reformulate and avoid any of these issues in the near future. They are sending me a packet and want me to send 1 strip to them for testing.

Posting this to reiterate that its very important that if you DID experience any side effects from using the suboxone film, that you DO report it to Medwatch!! Even if it was only for a short time.....Reckitt Benckiser is trying to collect as many of these events as possible she said, and test them as well. Just wanted to pass this on!

Oh...and she also said she wants to make sure to clear up the rumor thats going around I guess, about the tablets being taken off the market....she said that is absolutely not happening and they have no plans to do so.
erikanh80 is offline   Reply With Quote
4 Users Say Thank You to erikanh80 For This Useful Post:
Thank You (01-19-2011), Thank You (01-18-2011), Thank You (01-19-2011), Thank You (01-19-2011)
Unread 01-19-2011, 06:21 AM   #2
NancyB
Administrator

Hi Erika, thanks so much for letting everyone know! That's great news about the tablet, it will ease people's minds who prefer it over the strips.

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2011, 07:10 AM   #3
Jamesisdone

Is it legal to send them a scheduled medication ie the strip in the mail? I would IMHO have her send you a letter stating what she want's you to do so that you have that letter on file in case it is illegal and gets intercepted in the mail. That would just make me paranoid. The rest of your post is awesome though, it's great to know that they are going to work on it as well as the info you got addressing the rumors.
Jamesisdone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2011, 07:38 AM   #4
NancyB
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesisdone View Post
Is it legal to send them a scheduled medication ie the strip in the mail? I would IMHO have her send you a letter stating what she want's you to do so that you have that letter on file in case it is illegal and gets intercepted in the mail. That would just make me paranoid. The rest of your post is awesome though, it's great to know that they are going to work on it as well as the info you got addressing the rumors.
Hi james, that's a good question, as it would be illegal for them to send a medicated strip without a prescription (like they used to send the free meds to the doctor's office). I would venture to guess that it's a test strip of just the film without the medication infused. RB had made them up before so that the doctors would know what they looked like - packaging and all - and could test them out too. Tim had a test one that he cut up here:
https://www.naabt.org/images/uploade.../Film_wide.jpg

That would be my guess anyways.

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
Unread 01-19-2011, 09:15 AM   #5
Jamesisdone

Nancy,
I may be confused but I thought they were asking her to send one of her strips in for testing Maybe I read it wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikanh80 View Post
They are sending me a packet and want me to send 1 strip to them for testing.
Unread 01-19-2011, 09:19 AM   #6
NancyB
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesisdone View Post
Nancy,
I may be confused but I thought they were asking her to send one of her strips in for testing Maybe I read it wrong.
Yikes James, I apologize, I read that wrong! I don't know how they can ask her to send one to them and give her a replacement, unless there's a ton of paperwork or they get the pharmacy or doctor involved, or maybe that packet they're sending her will make it legal?

This will be interesting to see how they can do it!

Thanks!!

Nancy
Unread 01-19-2011, 09:43 AM   #7
Jamesisdone

Nancy dont you dare apologize It was confusing because I didn't know as well how they could ask her to do that plus she'll be one strip short unless they send her one but she didn't mention if they were. But I hope that what's in the packet makes it legal as well. Plus how do they get her phone number is what I was also wondering unless medwatch asks for it????? Just don't want anyone to get into trouble. I DON'T UNDERSTAND WHY THEY CANNOT GET ONE OF THEIR OWN STRIPS AND TEST IT INSTEAD OF HAVING HER SEND ONE IN OR THEY COULD GET ONE FROM HER PHARMACY TO TEST OOPS caps were on and didn't realize it sorry.

Last edited by Jamesisdone; 01-19-2011 at 09:48 AM..
Unread 01-19-2011, 10:00 AM   #8
NancyB
Administrator

Hi again. Thanks for catching that for me! Phew, glad I'm not the only confused by it because of the legalities! lol

I just went to the MedWatch site: https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scrip...tch-online.htm

and 'fake' filled in a bunch of stuff (didn't submit anything) and on Section C they ask:

MedWatch Online Voluntary Submission Form 3500

C. PRODUCT AVAILABILITY

1. Product Available for Evaluation? (Do not send to FDA)

Yes No Returned to Manufacturer on (MM/DD/YYYY)

Then FINALLY it got to the "MedWatch Online Voluntary Submission Form 3500" and it asks for these things:

1. Name & Address
Name (required)
Street Address (required)
Include facility/department/mailcode as appropriate.
City (required)
State/Territory (required)
Zip Code (required)

Phone Number
E-mail (needed for a confirmation receipt) (Please use only one email address.)

2. Health Professional? Yes No

3. Occupation

4. Also reported to Manufacturer User Facility Distributor/Importer

5. If you do NOT want your identity disclosed to the manufacturer, check here.

---------------------------

So it looks like unless you prefer not to, they contact the manufacturer and that must be how RB got her information?

It will still be interesting to see how the mailing back and forth of the strip will occur.

The mystery continues!

Nancy
Unread 01-19-2011, 01:45 PM   #9
erikanh80

Hello...sorry for the confusion....yes Nancy, in my posts I did say they are sending me a packet in the mail via fedex.

That packet has all the info for it to be sent back to the manufacturer for testing, including all legal red tape. I'll let you know the details once I get the package which should be here any day now.

They will not be the one reimbursing the 1 dose I will lose from it, my Doctor will be. I just have to bring the forms to him next time....since there is no timeline specifically, I am going to wait to send it until my next appt, so my Doctor can have all the info before doing it.

I filled out the Medwatch info to report it......they contact RB-themanufacturer, and RB contacted me..(thats in my post) so yes, correct, that is how they got my info.

They need one to compare to others, to seeif for some reason there was a difference or any variances between strips being made...ie: the process isn't as exact as they thought.....that could be the problem, but maybe not....could just be my body responding differently, but no one knows, so thats why they test the actual strips they obtain from people w/ side effects.

Even if you choose not to send a strip or don't have one....they still need to know if its occured in other users. Hope this clears anything up.
Unread 01-19-2011, 01:58 PM   #10
erikanh80

Oh...I was also thinking about this a lot, and I am wondering if there could be a correlation to people who smoke and take the strips? (I smoke)

They don't ask that question....but it seems its a possibility.......
Unread 01-19-2011, 03:55 PM   #11
NancyB
Administrator

Hi Erika, thanks for clearing that up. I was wondering how they were going to replace the strip you sent in - having it go to the doctor and then you makes sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikanh80 View Post
Oh...I was also thinking about this a lot, and I am wondering if there could be a correlation to people who smoke and take the strips? (I smoke)

They don't ask that question....but it seems its a possibility.......
For this part, please think about starting a new thread in the main forum and maybe we can see if is there any correlation with the people here who have had problems with the film. That would be interesting to see.

Thanks again for the great info!

Nancy
Unread 01-19-2011, 06:32 PM   #12
bizzby45

im glad to know they arent taking the pills off the market, I just stared on the strips yesterday so ill let you know what happens as i do smoke as well. In case it matters i smoke lights, not menthols or anything (idk it could make a difference). anyways i like the strips alot better (so far) but i want to make sure i dont get the same nasty side effects so i am saving a couple of my pills just in case.
bizzby45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2011, 09:46 PM   #13
MissSurvivor

Thank you for doing that! I've heard several people complaining of this side effect on here and I did mention it, I don't know if you got that idea from me but that doesn't matter. Anyways, I'm glad you alerted Medwatch. I'm not rooting for this to be off the market but it needs to be a known side effect if proven one. I never experienced this and I've been on the film since it came out. Happy to hear they called you and take this seriously too.
Unread 01-19-2011, 09:51 PM   #14
erikanh80

Hi Miss Survivor! I think you were the one who indeed did post that on a thread a posted a while ago when it started! I had never heard of Medwatch before that....Im glad I did too......especially seeing how the woman was very right.....it is SO new to the public, that this could definately be a common issue that they could either warn of or fix!
So I am also glad they take it seriously!
Thank you!!!!
Unread 01-19-2011, 10:02 PM   #15
jamielee

Hi Erika, well I was wrong, I thought this was the post about your brother, but not....anyway, I smoke also (menthol) and have had no trouble with the films. I have taken only films-except for my induction and that was pill form, I prefer the pill as the film once stuck to the tongue if in the wrong place- you cannot move it! I wasted a couple this way, getting stuck to my finger and then trying to replace it under my tongue just didn't work! It stuck to my finger then and I had no choice but to do the best I could with it at that point. Some on my tongue, some on my lips, some under my fingernail....... LOL also the last Rx I got I swear they had melted in the packet and reformed because they were stuck to the side of the envelope and I have a hard time getting them out, they peel out. I don't know if it's just my body re-adjusting (after my med was stolen) or if this box has something wrong with it, you know the last post I wrote tonight under Citalopram to you explaining going back to 8 mgs. Now I am wondering if there is something wrong with this med in this particular box. It even looks a lighter color than the last ones I got.
Nancy if you read this, have to ever heard of them melting?? Also Nancy, I was telling Erica, I have had a few w/d symtoms this week and called my Dr today, he put me back on the 8 mgs for a couple months and then said taper. Do you think there could be something wrong with this supply, have you ever heard of them melting and then being restored back to their original shape, but not being as effective. I swear this box is a lighter orange color and I have to peel them off the envelope and they tear apart. I was doing fine to begin with, then had that one episode took 8 mgs one time then went back to 4 mgs but these past 3 days have just gone downhill with how I feel little by little. I have had- again joint aches, slight depression, lethargy, just tired and getting worse as the days go by. Today I started getting irritable at work and I thought oh no what is happening here! So I called my Dr.
I'll keep you all posted about how this goes with being on 8mg again, and see if there is something wrong with this box. Maybe it's all psychological!! I don't know, but I know I don't feel quite normal as I did with the last box (and for those of you who remember my post in the beginning- I don't mean feeling high, I mean just feeling what the med is supposed to do --with no w/d's).
One thing I am sure of, if the maker of Suboxone is going to send or have something sent to them, you better know that they will have their butt covered legally, so I wouldn't worry about legal issues with what they are doing, they know the laws better than we do I would think!!
Oh BTW my Dr told me that they were taking the pill off the market also so that's why he prescribed me the films, I am going to ask for the pill back, I hate the films. I am one of the lucky ones, I have had no side effects from either, just a little numbness under my tongue from the films but nothing to complain about. And speaking of that I have had quite a bit of numb tongue with this box compared to the last one...hmmmmm....I am really wondering now..... Jamielee
Unread 01-27-2011, 12:14 PM   #16
Carlos

I personally have difficulties with the film. I like the fact that I can cut it into small pieces, but I have a lot of difficutly keeping it under my tongue. Any one else have the same problem? or any suggestion on how to keep it from moving?
Carlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2011, 01:27 PM   #17
tlg

Once my film is placed, it doesn't move! I place mine under my tounge, but place it on the top part...does that make sense? Basically, I place it over the big vessel or vain or whatever it is, on the bottom of my tounge, and it just sticks there and doesn't move. The bad thing with it is if you happen to place it a little too far over one way or the other, you can't move it. I also find it easiest, when possible, to take them using a mirror, even after taking them for 3+ months.

Anyway, if what I suggested makes sense at all...give it a try, cuz I have had a lot less trouble with them since doing so.
Unread 01-27-2011, 01:55 PM   #18
vhappy

I have also had films that are lighter orange, and are not uniform in size. Mine come via fed-ex and are exposed to extreme cold. I also have to peel them from the package and sometime they are broken. It is almost like they froze and cracked.

Because I always keep my suboxone with me in my purse, they get exposed to extreme tempatures. My job involves me going to several different houses and community places thru-out the day, so they get hot, cold.... When the temp is 0 sometimes I put a little warmer in my purse and that seems to help.

As for the strips, I cut it in half, just barley moisten my finger and it sticks to my finger, so I pick it up, with my moistened finger from the package, and I place it under my tongue. My finger just has the tiniest amount of (spit) I guess, that when I pick it up, and stick the strip under my tongue, the strip releases and doesn't stick to my finger. It works great and I never have any problems. I can even do it while I am driving! It just took a little practice. Don't know if this is helpful for anyone, but it sure works well for me.

vhappy
vhappy is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to vhappy For This Useful Post:
Thank You (01-27-2011)
Unread 01-27-2011, 08:58 PM   #19
jamielee

Wink

Hi V, how about that, I wonder if you received some of the same batch I received yet we are from different ends of the United States too. That's amazing. Mine were the same, as my earlier post said. Or possibly, it's just the extreme weather that does that to them, hot-cold you know.
Carlos-I have learned to cut mine in half and place half at a time under my tongue and do not move my tongue AT ALL until I think it has dissolved, then I place the other half. I have also placed half on one side and the other half on the other side, that worked but you have to be quick before the first one starts dissolving. Mine stick to my tongue so I don't have a problem with them moving around. Some people produce more saliva than others, is your mouth really wet when you place the film? If so maybe you can dab under your tongue a bit with a paper towel before placing the film, or swallow a few times to rid all of the saliva. If you have too much saliva it is going to "swim" around and not stick, so maybe that's your problem. I would try the mirror trick also as tlg mentioned to make sure it is getting in the right spot. Hope you find a solution!
tlg, I agree, once placed you cannot move it, I tried and it stuck to my finger and what a mess. I used to use a mirror and watch how I placed it, I still think that is a great idea though. I think my worst symptom with this is a numb tongue, but that is nothing to complain about compared to how well I am doing!!
Hope everyone is doing well with their survivor skills!! Jamilee
Unread 01-31-2011, 06:53 PM   #20
Carlos

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlg View Post
Once my film is placed, it doesn't move! I place mine under my tongue, but place it on the top part...does that make sense? Basically, I place it over the big vessel or vain or whatever it is, on the bottom of my tongue, and it just sticks there and doesn't move. The bad thing with it is if you happen to place it a little too far over one way or the other, you can't move it. I also find it easiest, when possible, to take them using a mirror, even after taking them for 3+ months.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlg View Post

Anyway, if what I suggested makes sense at all...give it a try, cuz I have had a lot less trouble with them since doing so.
No, I did not understand it much. I usually cut the film into smaller pieces half, quarters even smaller and it has a tendency to move from the bottom of my tongue to the side almost out of the location. But I am able to keep it in place I just have difficulty and I am afraid I might not be getting the full effect of the medication.

I found that the tablets were a lot easier to keep under the tongue. I will keep reading your post because it looks like it makes sense. I just have not being able to visualize it in my mind what you are talking about. Thanks for responding. What I underlined in your quote is what I think is happening and you explained that better than I. But I do not know what you mean by the big vessel or vain. I do not know if you mean that thing in the middle of the bottom of the tongue that looks like keep them from moving too far.

I detoxed quite a while ago. I just keep a few suboxone at home because I have arthritis and other degenerated problems in my feet and that has been the reason that I have gone out in the pass. So maybe once a week or much less I take a small part.

Jamielee thanks for your response too, I thought for a while that maybe I was doing something totally wrong and apparently there is a problem. I prefer the tablet until or if I master this I keep thinking I am not getting full value of the medication. Although I do feel medicated maybe 20 minutes to one hour later. Maybe I am just making a big thing out of nothing but thank you for responding.

Last edited by Carlos; 01-31-2011 at 06:57 PM..
Carlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2011, 04:07 PM   #21
tlg

Carlos~
Are you aware of the new Bup patch that just got released for pain? Just a thought of maybe looking into it since you are no longer taking Sub full time and only using for pain.

Anyway, It's hard to explain it and wish I could draw you a picture but I will try again...

OK, if you lift your tongue and touch the top of your tongue to the roof of your mouth you can visualize it better. I place mine on the bottom side that is showing while the top of the tongue is still touching the roof of your mouth. I place mine on either side of that bottom part, and it sticks to the tongue like a piece of tape.

So instead of placing it on the bottom of my mouth where my teeth are, I place it on my actual tongue. That's the only other way I can describe it, sorry!
Unread 02-02-2011, 07:27 PM   #22
vhappy

So funny, after I posted about how I use my films, I have not been able to get on my tongue correctly once this week. To much thought put into it, does not work for me!
vhappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2011, 06:09 PM   #23
TYCANDO

erikanh80....... that is a good point about the smoking. I do smoke and had the problem with the films, appears it caused me to get thrush along with bumps etc.

I did notice other people post who did not smoke so not sure if there is connection. I am submitting my issue to Medwatch too.
TYCANDO is offline   Reply With Quote