Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 01-02-2011, 03:35 PM   #1
jamielee

Unhappy Medication stolen, what can I do?

well what about this....I had company over the holidays and now my Subuxone is gone, no one knew I was taking it as it is my secret. I cannot figure out who would have taken it. So now I have to go 2 weeks without until I get my refill, I am afraid of withdrawls and I am going back to work tomorrow. I sent a letter to the treatment match and it looks like they are going to match me with a local physician for treatment. That is not what I wanted so now I hope it doesn't look like I am Dr shopping! I did write a letter explaining my situation. I know my Dr will not write another rx, or at least I don't think he will. Then at the same time I am broke until payday this Fri the 7th. What to do? I am so afraid of withdrawals. NancyB where are you!!! You seem to always have an answer for everything!. I hope someone can tell me what I am supposed to do in this situation. Thanks, Jamielee
Unread 01-02-2011, 04:10 PM   #2
NancyB
Administrator

Hi jamielee, when was the last time you took your Suboxone and how much?

Yikes, that's such a tough situation. Maybe think about calling your doctor tomorrow and telling him what happened and that if necessary, you would be willing to come in and do pill counts or drug screens - just to show how serious you are about it.

That was good to sign up on the Treatment Match system also. Hopefully you'll get some responses from there.

Did you sign any sort of contract with your doctor saying there would be no early refills or anything like that?

Nancy

Rogan, how did you do in finding some help?

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2011, 04:38 PM   #3
jamielee

I took my last 8 mg this morning, and I would be willing to go in and do a drug screen. He told me last visit that people sell this on the streets, I did not know that, and I am sure not selling mine! I don't want to go to jail and also I need my Sub!! I do not recall any form signing about early refills.
How is my body going to react without it? I go back to work tomorrow and am so afraid of withdrawals, then I am broke until Fri. also- whaaaa.
If I knew who took it I swear I would slap them! I did have some people that are related to my sister in law that I don't know that well, so it had to be one of them. Funny thing is no one knew I was taking it, so they had to have snooped to find it. I didn't realize until yesterday that I only had a few in the box. I always just reach in my hiding spot and get one out, I don't have a habit of counting them. When I felt that box being low I pulled it out and there was 2 films left! I am so afraid of being without it. I told myself this morning, change your attitude now, I can do this, I can do this! But I will call my Dr tomorrow and see if I can get in. Wish me luck! Do you think I should start taking Thomas recipe just in case? I still have some left from before (natural vitamins you know) Thanks NancyB, Jamielee
Unread 01-02-2011, 06:00 PM   #4
jamielee

Anybody know what else to do, so I don't get sick?? Oh I'm so scared of this week coming up. You know that from now on I will hide my medicine much better. The guy that is suspect was confronted, turns out he stole some of someone else' medication that was in my house over the holidays also, of course the guy denied it. He is no longer welcome in my house!! Ya we could call the police, but what good would that do? He lives in another state anyway. Karma though, she'll get ya in the end! Say a prayer for me and I have no option so far except to tough it out. Thanks all, Jamielee
Unread 01-02-2011, 06:24 PM   #5
nan

Hi Jamielee, Sorry about your situation-some lessons are hard learned! It is kind of like closing the barn doors after the horses run out, but this again might be helpful in that it will remind others to lock up their meds. I am sure you will not let this happen again.

I surely hope if you can get into your dr tomorrow and be completely honest with him he will stick by you. Is the dr's office close enough to your home that you could go there everyday for dosing? If so, suggest that to the dr which would show him you are serious and willing to do whatever it takes to get back on his right track.

There is a long half life with suboxone so if you took 8 mg this morning you should feel ok for a few days-long enough to get in touch with your dr. There is always the 3 day rule to fall back on. Let us know what you find out. Don't be scared right now, you have a plan so rely on that.

nan
nan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2011, 07:19 PM   #6
NancyB
Administrator

Hi Jamielee, just to add to the good advice Nan has, here's a link to the three-day rule.
http://www.naabt.org/documents/three-day-rule.pdf

It allows any physician the ability to dispense you the medication for 3 days.

Hopefully you won't need that and your doctor will be able to help you out. And as Nan said, you should be ok for a couple of days before withdrawals because of the halflife.

Please let us know what happens and how you're doing.

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
Unread 01-02-2011, 09:07 PM   #7
jamielee

Thanks all for the info, the other problem I have is work, I cannot miss being there because they rely on me heavily, and if I had to miss certain times everyday I would have to have an explanation- what would I say? I already had to miss work starting this program and had to make up an excuse! I told them that I had a reaction to depression medication that was prescribed and the Dr was trying to get it straight, part truth-part lie. I hate lying. The 3 day rule, I am confused, any Dr can write Sub? Even if my Dr won't write it for me? Seems like Dr shopping!! Also does it force you into yet another rehab program. I am covered up with help with this and don't need another program to take my time away from work especially. I will keep in touch and let all know how it goes. I hate this addiction! I caused it so I will deal with it. Thanks again everyone, Jamielee
Unread 01-03-2011, 08:15 AM   #8
NancyB
Administrator

Hi Jamielee, Keeping my fingers crossed that your doctor will be willing to help you. If you can, do you have enough money to buy a few pills before payday? If you took 8mg every other day, you might be able to get away with just getting a few right now.

Good luck and let us know how it goes today.

Nancy
Unread 01-03-2011, 07:34 PM   #9
jamielee

Hi Nancy, well unfortunately, he will not help me. He is very strict and says that he cannot write any more RX's. I do not believe him. I am somewhat upset with him at this point because he would write me lortabs all the time, but now that I am trying to get better he won't help me. I offered to do a drug screen, urinalysis, whatever it took. I am clean all except for the Sub that is in my body. Had I known that half of my med had been taken I would have spaced it out, also I just knew that my Dr would do something-even a little to get me through. So I already took the last two I had. I don't know when the person took it but it had to be between the 24th and 26th. I never ever thought someone would take it so I didn't check it. Then when I went to get one the other morning I thought this box feels empty so I pulled it out and there in the box I had only 2 left. I was so angry and I thought this is part of my payback!! I will have to suffer some. I did have a Dr get in touch with me through the treatment match, but as I said I am so broke and will not get paid until this Friday. If this Dr. will take me, can I see him early, I mean earlier than I was originally scheduled to see my regular Dr.? I did write my story, so I guess this new Dr. knows why I am searching. I would gladly change Drs at this point. This Dr says he knows what addiction is about and no one should have to go through withdrawals or ever use again. Already he sounds very understanding, but at the same time I know no one will see me for no charge! (I have about 40.00 until payday) I canceled all my credit cards after starting this treatment so I could get out of debt!! If I can make it until Friday, I can see this new Dr. then. I already started taking my "Thomas recipe" and bought anti-diarrhea medicine. I know what is coming, I just don't know how bad--and I have to work all week also! My hard things are no energy and irritable as all get out!! I shouldn't say "if I can make it" I will make it, I just can't miss any work and I work 1/2 days on Fridays. I will call the new Dr tomorrow and just ask questions. They have an emergency nurse to call, am I an emergency?? LOL I feel like I am. Hope you are on tonight. Thanks so much for your help, you are an angel. Jamielee
Unread 01-03-2011, 08:01 PM   #10
jamielee

OH NOOOOO!! As I sit here and remember more about detox-withdrawals, I am remembering more than I mentioned, now that bothers me! I also had back pain, sleepiness, runny nose, sneezing and achy joints. I'm sure everyone knows what I am talking about. Sooooo maybe, just maybe this Dr will see me like Wed. and I will take off work and go! I don't want to go through that even for 2 days, somebody tell me to toughen up please!!! I am so afraid of whats coming. O.K. change of attitude needed here...help!!! Jamielee
Unread 01-03-2011, 09:09 PM   #11
jamielee

Unhappy Medication stolen, what can I do?

Hi all, I have recently had my medication stolen over the holidays. I am shocked as I had these people in my house for Christmas holidays and would never ever have suspected them to be that kind, but all fingers point to these people. My problem is this, I called my Dr.- he will not help me. I have my next appt, on Monday the 10th yet he will not help me until my appt.!! He was the Dr that wrote me all my Lortabs every month that is why I am so confused about why he will not help me now with my wanting to be off the tabs. I told him I would do a drug screen, a urinalysis, anything he wanted so he knows that I am straight up with this program. He told me people sell this Suboxone on the street, well I am broke now so I sure as heck am not selling them, I want to get better, not go to jail!! I have asked Treatment Match for help and I had one Dr answer me. Is this Dr actually going to help me until I have my regular scheduled appt. or is he trying to gain a new patient. I would gladly change Drs at this point as I am somewhat angry with my present Dr that he will not help me. I have no police record and have never sold anything on the streets, yes I have bought before when I was addicted, but I am serious about my recovery and need my Suboxone. I will start to be in withdrawals starting Wed. or Thurs. and I am scared of it. I have been through it before and I know what is coming, just don't know if this will be as bad as before with the tabs.
My question- has anyone had this happen and how did you handle it. I need to make it through until Friday, that is my pay-date so I can go to this new Dr (if he will take me). I would go on Wed. if he would take me with a post dated check!! I hate the withdrawals as everyone does, but I just don't know what to do here. Anyone experience this and what did you do to make it through? Jamielee
Unread 01-03-2011, 09:57 PM   #12
NancyB
Administrator

Hi Jamielee, first off, I moved all your posts into the same thread so that everything would be together and more easily referred back to.

I'm sorry your doctor won't help. Definitely call that doctor tomorrow morning. Explain everything that is going on, including your not having any money until you get paid on Friday and ask if you can give them a post-dated check.

Also check with your pharmacy to see if you can pick up a partial on your prescription - so you can just get a couple until payday. If you can't do that, then you could ask the doctor to write you a small script for the couple of days and one for the whole balance.

Hopefully the doctor who contacted you is as good and understanding as he sounds.

Hang in there, and see what happens tomorrow when you call and then we can go from there.

Nancy
Unread 01-04-2011, 12:37 AM   #13
MissSurvivor

Default It's going to be okay

Jamielee,
I'm sorry about your situation. I would be extremely aggravated. The one thing you shouldn't do is anticipate these w/d's as having the worst symptoms. The mind works in funny ways and can actually make you feel worse. Breathe. Talk to this new doctor and tell yourself this is all you can do right now. You'll make it through no matter what.. it will only be a few days. I get horrible anxiety and I can see them all over your posts.. and I don't blame you a bit.. but you have to stop and think. Rationalize and do not freak out - worst thing to do. This doc wouldn't contact you if he wasn't willing to help you.

Best of luck to you,
Danielle
Thank You (01-04-2011)
Unread 01-04-2011, 06:52 AM   #14
jamielee

Hi MissSurvivor, you are so right and I told myself- do not panic or freak out over this, you can do it, then those thoughts of what it was like come popping up!! I agree with you that mental attitude can affect how you feel. I am feeling o.k. this morning, just hard to wake up. I am going to keep positive thoughts and ward off any worries when they come up.....and also say some prayers!! Thanks for your advice, I need a kick in the butt right now! Jamielee
Unread 01-04-2011, 07:08 AM   #15
jamielee

Hi NancyB, I have no rx waiting at the pharmacy. My Dr. only writes 30 days at a time. I worry that I will be Dr shopping with my problem, is that a concern? I will call that new Dr today and hopefully he will see me and allow me to write a post dated check. I could handle just a few to spread out until my true appt. date, but if this Dr. will see me I will probably stay with him since my Dr wouldn't help me. It's funny, you remember he helped me to begin with when I was just starting and now he won't, even with a police report. I have never been arrested for anything and he knows me very well- I have been seeing him for over 2 years, so I just don't understand him now. Like I said I offered to do any test that he wanted so he knows I am sincere. I would never sell my Sub. because I need it!! Also I would be scared to death of going to jail. It's all over the local news here about arrests for selling prescription drugs. (That is a huge problem here in Fl.) That is a felony you know and I value my freedom! I just wonder what he thinks-why he won't help me. He won't even talk to me, I talked to his wife and his nurse. Oh well I had better quit worrying over that and concentrate on today. Thanks for all your help and advice, I truly appreciate you. Jamielee
Unread 01-04-2011, 07:10 AM   #16
NancyB
Administrator

Good luck today Jamielee! Danielle has a lot of good, useful advice.

Keeping my fingers crossed it works out. Let us know when you can.

Nancy
Unread 01-04-2011, 07:14 AM   #17
jamielee

NancyB- Hi lady, my concern- will I be Dr shopping? Is that something the pharmacies watch for, I am fearful of that too!! Jamielee
Unread 01-04-2011, 07:19 AM   #18
NancyB
Administrator

Hi again.

No, it's not doctor shopping. You're out of medication and found that your current doctor won't help you out so you're just switching to a doctor who will work with you.

Nothing to worry about there, ok?

Nancy
Unread 01-04-2011, 07:24 AM   #19
jamielee

Thanks NancyB, That helps a lot. I was worried about that....... O.K. time to get in the shower and get ready for work! I have hope now. Jamielee
Unread 01-04-2011, 07:32 AM   #20
NancyB
Administrator

Good luck! We'll be cheering you on from here!

Nancy
Unread 01-04-2011, 08:41 PM   #21
jamielee

Unhappy

Hi NancyB, and all who have commented on my troubles! Well that Dr. wouldn't help me right now, but willing to see me at 400.00 this Friday!!! Thing is that is my pay-date and by the time I get off they will be closing, they also work 1/2 days Fri. so here it goes!!! So far so good, today is day 2 and 60 hours after my last dose with no Sub. so I probably won't feel the full effects until tomorrow. I have a runny nose, irritable and slight bathroom troubles already!
If, and I say if I do start to get really sick, would I be a fool to take 1/2 of a lortab to keep from going into full withdrawals and then take the other half a couple days later as far as the program is concerned? I promise you I am not going to get addicted to those devil pills, just don't want to get sick, and also wonder what it would do to my taking Sub again. I know I have to be in semi-withdrawal when I start sub after lortab, but I mean also what about my urinalysis and will I be booted out of the program? I cannot get an rx for lortab as it is, so no worries about me getting back on them, believe me I am not buying them off the streets as pricey as they are and as much as I was taking I cannot afford that amount. I was getting 120 tabs a month for 10.00 with my insurance, so for me to buy that off the streets is just ridiculous for anyone to believe that I have that kind of money!! So I am saying no worries with me getting back on them. Tell me what you think please, I have to work 3 more days this week and I am not sure whats to come, but so far so good! Just thinking ahead in case... thanks Jamielee
Unread 01-04-2011, 09:40 PM   #22
NancyB
Administrator

Hi Jamielee, sorry he won't see you until Friday. Can you get some immodium for the bathroom troubles?

As far as taking 1/2 of a lortab, do what is best for you. I don't think anyone except for the doctor can speak to his program. Did he say you will be having a drug screen Friday? I will say that I don't know how you could be booted out of something you haven't started yet. I would imagine most of his patients start with an opiate in their system. Call them if you're worried about it, though, to set your mind at ease.

Keep us posted on how you're doing. Only a couple more days.

Nancy
Unread 01-04-2011, 10:07 PM   #23
jamielee

NancyB, no You misunderstood, I cannot go on Friday! I will be at work until 1 and they close at 1. Yes I bought immodium 2 days ago and have been taking it, but still bathroom issues. I think you have me confused with someone else, I have been in the program for almost 2 months now, it's just my Sub was taken from my house and that's why I was trying to see another Dr- mine won't see me until the scheduled appt date which is Mon. but the rx won't be available for me to pick up until Friday the 14th-which is my 30 day mark. Do you have me mixed up with someone else?? I try to write as plainly as I can so you can understand me, am I missing something? Seems so many times my questions are unanswered and I have to ask again, not being ugly here, I want help and that is what this site is all about.
I know that people have opiates in their system when first starting, my question was IF I take any lortab for withdrawals before my scheduled appt on Monday, how is that going to interfere with my program on Suboxone, will my regular Dr (since I cannot see the other one on Friday) accept me back because I took something? But as I said he will not help me until my appt. date. Am I making sense here? I don't want to be booted out of his program for Sub if I take anything for withdrawals. I just don't know what to do at this point. Just afraid of withdrawals, I know -do not concentrate on it, but it's hard when it is peering it's ugly head around the corner. Not being disrespectful here, just getting frustrated that people don't understand my posts and my questions. Jamielee
Unread 01-04-2011, 10:19 PM   #24
bizzby45

i skimmed through this thread and it is a couple days old but my doctor always told me that if my scsript got stolen that i needed to fill out a police report asap. and he would take care of it from there. now every doctor is different but is a police report a possibility for you?? i dont know if its to late? also if you did find out who stole it, it is tbut of a controlled substance so they would be in trouble.
bizzby45 is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Users Say Thank You to bizzby45 For This Useful Post:
Thank You (01-06-2011), Thank You (01-05-2011), Thank You (01-09-2011)
Unread 01-04-2011, 10:22 PM   #25
NancyB
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamielee View Post
NancyB, no You misunderstood, I cannot go on Friday! I will be at work until 1 and they close at 1. Yes I bought immodium 2 days ago and have been taking it, but still bathroom issues. I think you have me confused with someone else, I have been in the program for almost 2 months now, it's just my Sub was taken from my house and that's why I was trying to see another Dr- mine won't see me until the scheduled appt date which is Mon. but the rx won't be available for me to pick up until Friday the 14th-which is my 30 day mark. Do you have me mixed up with someone else?? I try to write as plainly as I can so you can understand me, am I missing something? Seems so many times my questions are unanswered and I have to ask again, not being ugly here, I want help and that is what this site is all about.
Hi Jamielee, no, I don't have you confused with someone else. Sorry, I got confused when you said he couldn't see you until Friday, I thought you were going to try to get there from the way you worded it. That's why I continued on with my comments. lol But you've cleared it up, thank you.

Quote:
I know that people have opiates in their system when first starting, my question was IF I take any lortab for withdrawals before my scheduled appt on Monday, how is that going to interfere with my program on Suboxone, will my regular Dr (since I cannot see the other one on Friday) accept me back because I took something? But as I said he will not help me until my appt. date. Am I making sense here? I don't want to be booted out of his program for Sub if I take anything for withdrawals. I just don't know what to do at this point. Just afraid of withdrawals, I know -do not concentrate on it, but it's hard when it is peering it's ugly head around the corner. Not being disrespectful here, just getting frustrated that people don't understand my posts and my questions. Jamielee
You'll have to call your doctor and ask. Every doctor runs their treatment different ways so to speculate wouldn't be helpful at all. Some doctors would be ok with it under the circumstances, some wouldn't be. The only way to find out for sure would be to call. I don't think anyone would want to guess and have that answer be wrong and have you kicked out of your program.

There could be some questions that are unanswered because no one knows the answers to them, or maybe they got lost in the post because there was some other question being answered. You can always ask again to see if it was accidentally overlooked or if it's just that no one knows the answer and no one wants to speculate.

Again, sorry for the confusion when I read your post.

Nancy
One User Says Thank You to NancyB For This Useful Post:
Thank You (01-05-2011)
Unread 01-04-2011, 10:27 PM   #26
MissSurvivor

I think Nancy thought you were asking if you were to take the lortab would the new doctor boot you out - not the old one. I'm sure she can't really answer that question for sure though. I know I can't - sorry couldn't be more helpful. That really sucks that you have to wait 10 days. Can you skip out on work for an hour to see the new doctor? Another thing, even if you were to see the new doctor (which it seems u can't) how would the pharmacy fill you another RX if you're not due until the 14th? I only see the 3 day rule come in effect or a doctor increasing your dose on the RX so it's filled early. This sucks.
Thank You (01-06-2011), Thank You (01-05-2011)
Unread 01-04-2011, 10:30 PM   #27
tlg

Jamielee~
So sorry about your troubles and that this has happened to you. I know that the first day my doctor wrote me a script, she told me that she does not do early refills for any reason. Didn't matter if I lost them, they got stolen or ruined, she wouldn't do it. She said it's a controlled substance and she treats it just like any other. If I had to ever come in early and get an early refill, she would most likely drug test me and bla bla bla. After telling me this, she said it wasn't to be mean, but to save both my butt (b/c especially now with the strips having their own code and such, if someone got caught with my stuff, I could get in just as much trouble as them) and also to save her butt (b/c with the DEA being so up doctors butts about controlled substances, and the way they are with Sub) she can't risk losing her license and all her patients who really need her. I have kept this in mind since that first appointment, and I keep part of my script locked up some of it on me.

I am so sorry you had to find this out the hard way, and your doctor turned you down when you needed help. My doctor was up front and honest with me about it, and I even had to sign a paper saying I understood and agreed on it.

As far as taking a lortab...I believe that if you still have Sub in you, it'd have no effect on you (am sure that someone can verfiy this and correct me if wrong) but then when you go and start your Sub, you have to be off it for so long (I was told moderate to mild WD's but not sure how it would go for you). I would just be hesitant to even mess with my DOC again, but this is just my opinion.

I know how much easier it is to say something vs doing it, but try hard not to dwell on WD's! Keep active, exercise if possible, keep your mind and body BUSY BUSY BUSY, and try and get thru these next 3 days. If need be, by a multi-vitamin or some B-12 or D or something to help promote energy. Maybe get some melatonin or benadryl or something like that to help with sleep. Eat healthy and stay active. I think that if you can do these things, you could probably get thru until at least Fri without having to mess with any other pills.

If you really need to, I believe you can go to an ER (if you have insurance, they will cover your visit and they can bill you for your copay) and try to exercise the 3 day rule to get some Sub if you are unable to make it until Fri or the 10th, and then go fill what you have the money for. Pharmacist are allowed to do up to 6 partial refills with controlled substances I believe class 3-5, but know you can do it with Sub b/c that's how I use to get mine. If you want to stay with your old doctor, then you could split up the 3 day script they give you to get you thru to your appointment, and then go from there. BUT, with the way your doctor treated your case so far, that may not be the doctor you want to stay with.

If you feel like you need to see the new doctor, then try to get thru without anything until Fri OR have you went to your boss and seen if you can get a payday advance? I never thought mine would, but when I had no other choice and had to ask, I was shocked to find out she would. Also, tho I hate to reccomend it, there are those pay day loan places that you only have to have working phone and proof of ID and pay stub and they will give you a pay day advance so you can get into your new doctor and get your meds, and then go pay your advance off Fri when you get your actual check.

Just a few suggestions to throw out at you. You will be in my thoughts, and I know you can get thru this. We often find ourself freaking out and thinking the worst about things before they ever happen, and then once it's done and over with, you realize that it wasn't nearly as bad as you thought it would be!
Unread 01-04-2011, 10:43 PM   #28
tlg

jaimeelee~
i too got confused with your post and thought you'd be able to see a new one on Fri. Since you cleared that up and you say it's not possible, can you speak with whoever is in charge of schedules at your place of employment and get of 30 min or an hour early so you would be able to see the new doctor? That seems to be the easiest way you're going to be able to get things fixed and back in place instead of having to wait for another week!

As answered before, it's hard to say what your current doctor will do when you come back in. I would think (and this is only my opinion with the way my doctor is) that if you've already called to try and get a refill and he's denied refilling early and seeing you, and then you come in on Monday and have anything besides sub in your system, you could be walking a thin line and could possibly get kicked off the sub program with your current doctor. Again, the answer to this question can only be positivly answered by asking your current doctor. The only other idea I have besides what's already been posted it, try and make an early appointment with your current doctor and actually go in and talk to him and see you face to face. This may not make any difference to him at all, but if he see's what you're going thru, and that you really need help and could be on the road to relapse MAYBE he will write you an early script? Does he normally write you're script on the same day you see him (so in this situation Monday) and then you just can't fill it until the 30 day mark? If he gives you a script on Mon when you see him, you can tell the pharmacy you know insurance wont cover it, but you'd like to pay for X amount out of pocket and to do a partial refill. Sorry, I think that there is just a limited amount of answers that can be given with the options you have. I hope you can figure something out somehow. I know you are getting upset and starting to not feel good and just want help and answers, but we can only give you suggestions. Are there any other doctors in your area either on the matching system or that you know of that you can call and see if they can help you? Sorry, kinda feel like my answers are getting you nowhere but I was just telling you what came to mind while reading! Good luck
Thank You (01-05-2011)
Unread 01-04-2011, 10:48 PM   #29
AbbyNormal

Jamielee,

I just breezed through your thread but my doctor told me if my Sub gets stolen then the only way he'd write another script is for me to show him the police report.

So that's my 2¢. Call the police, get a report and go see your doctor or anyone who can write a script for Suboxone.

I really feel for you and hope you can stand up to the w/d's long enough to get your medicine.

Sorry you are in this predicament,

Tom

AbbyNormal is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Say Thank You to AbbyNormal For This Useful Post:
Thank You (01-05-2011), Thank You (01-05-2011)
Unread 01-05-2011, 12:48 AM   #30
SpAcEdGeD

I also say call the police and get a police statement. That will show the doctor that there is a good possibility that someone actually stole your medication since you involved the police.
Without involving the police the Doctor might just think you are trying to pull a fast one.

Also when you get things all settled go out to a Staples or Office Depot and buy yourself a small safe to keep your medication in. You can find one for under $100 and it can prevent this from ever happening again.
SpAcEdGeD is offline   Reply With Quote
4 Users Say Thank You to SpAcEdGeD For This Useful Post:
Thank You (01-12-2011), Thank You (01-05-2011), Thank You (01-05-2011), Thank You (01-05-2011)
Unread 01-05-2011, 08:55 AM   #31
Sub-Zero

I agree with the others, get the police involved, they may find it on someone they arrest and return it to you too.

Your experience is a lesson to everyone who doesn't lock up their medication. A guy in one of my old groups was a cable guy and would always ask to use the bathroom and raid the medicine cabinet. So even if you live alone, it's a good idea to lock up your meds.
Sub
Sub-Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
4 Users Say Thank You to Sub-Zero For This Useful Post:
Thank You (01-12-2011), Thank You (01-05-2011), Thank You (01-05-2011), Thank You (01-05-2011)
Unread 01-05-2011, 11:27 AM   #32
jdjk

Jamielee, how are you doing? I realize this is a late post and might not help but here are some suggestions.

Contact your physician and if he will not write for sub ask him if he will write for other meds that will help with withdrawal symptoms. There’s old posts on this site that list meds people have used and there are meds that physicians have used before sub and meth that would ease withdrawal symtoms. If possible try to negotiate with those individual (s) that took your meds. Explain to them that you understand that their behavior is indicative of addiction and that at the very least you need some back to address withdrawals. Don’t be threatening. Ask them to be sympathetic to your plight

Last edited by jdjk; 01-05-2011 at 11:35 AM.. Reason: misspelling
jdjk is offline   Reply With Quote
4 Users Say Thank You to jdjk For This Useful Post:
Thank You (01-05-2011), Thank You (01-05-2011), Thank You (01-05-2011), Thank You (01-05-2011)
Unread 01-05-2011, 01:07 PM   #33
LKB1956

Awesome advise JDJK....you can get more bees with honey than with vinegar.....lol
Thank You (01-12-2011)
Unread 01-05-2011, 09:19 PM   #34
jamielee

Gee whiz! My goodness, so many responses!! Thanks everybody for your posts, much info there!! I am just getting so frustrated with this situation. My Dr wanted me off the tabs for so long and when I was ready I said so, and did so too, then my Sub was taken and he wouldn't help me. All this doesn't make sense to me, he won't write me anything, but yet I can see a new Dr and get an RX? Also if I take a lortab to ward off withdrawal he may boot me out of the program, but yet another Dr will see me for the same program. What a bunch of crap!!I know I put myself here, I am not blaming anyone, but they want to help you so bad to get out of addiction but yet there is a limit to it too.
My Dr won't even see me with a police report, he won't see me early and I don't know..... but just speculating the pharmacy won't fill my Rx early because it is on record when my last Rx was given. This is all so confusing. My Dr currently writes every 30 days to the day, but with my work sched he agreed at my last appt. to see me on Mon. the 10th but said I can't get script until Fri. 14th. (I am off every other Mon morning) I called him again to see if there was anything I could do and he said no wait until your appt.!!
I also called around to a few other pain management offices and told them my story, same thing- NO can't help because bla..bla..bla..
As far as asking the person who took my Sub. he says he didn't take it, I have no proof, but all fingers point to him, the other problem is he is a relative of a friend and she stands up for him. Says he wouldn't do a thing like that, maybe she is in cahoots with him?? I don't know but you better believe I have my radar wide open at this point. He has to be the one, because he was the only person left alone in my house for about 20 mins, he also took some of my brothers medication. Now my brother is severely in withdrawals. He takes morphine for a back injury that is inoperable. (Don't worry I don't like morphine, was never my doc, mine was lortab and all I could get!!) I feel so sorry for my brother, I can't imagine what he is going through, his Dr told him the same- no early Rx so he is suffering too.
Well so far I am doing o.k. they say Sub stays in your system for 3 days, well it must stay longer-or everybody is different- or could be that I started the Thomas recipe to ward off any withdrawals. I know people say it doesn't work, but it did help me in the past when I ran out of Lortab (compared to the first withdrawal I went through with nothing-I was sick for 7 days) but with natural vitamins I didn't get as sick and could somewhat function (in the past). The calcium, magnesium and zinc for muscle, joint aches, St. Johns wort for depression and B-6 to help carry it to the brain faster, and also Imodium!! I am drinking plenty of water and stocked up on fruit and veggies, not much meat. I am feeling lethargic somewhat but not near as bad as before. So all in all not so sick right now, thank God!!
I'm sorry if I seemed so angry with my post about people not understanding me, I would ask a question and get an answer that had nothing to do with my question. Also I think at this point I am somewhat irritable-no ...I know I am. So, sorry NancyB if I seemed short with you.
As I said I know I put myself in the place where I am right now, it is totally my fault, even to the point that I am going through what I am at this time with my Sub being stolen, but I still don't get it that people want to help you so much in your addiction, then turn their backs on you when you need it. Bottom line- when it comes to the Dr matchmaking, it's all about the money-ya they want to help you as long as you have the money that day, their e-mail says "I want to help you with your addiction, we understand addiction at our office so call us at bla bla bla" but when I called the caring went away when I said can I write a post dated check-NO, no post dated check will do, you have to have 400.00 cash and then we will see you!! Also as long as I have known my Dr that I have now- he knows me very well and knows I am serious about my addiction- he still wouldn't help me at all or even talk to me on the telephone. Ya I am angry about all this....as long as you have the $ people will care about you, if not to hell with you- you are on your own sweetheart!!
Thanks everybody sincerely for your advice, this is the most I have ever gotten on this site, maybe it helps to be irritable sometimes.....LOL Jamielee
Thank You (01-07-2011)
Unread 01-06-2011, 09:59 AM   #35
toms

I never had meds stolen, but once came up short (ran out 2-3 days prior to my appointment)....it turned out to be a big deal.

I have taken daily meds since I was diagnosed with high blood pressure at age 19. I never had any problem with running out. Later, when I began to abuse opiates, I began playing all sorts of games. If I was a doctor, I would get tired of having addicts playing their games. I assume they must constantly waste time being stuck in the middle....trying to determine who is lying, wanting to accommodate legit requests, all the while having to worry about DEA watchdogs.

I once had a neurologist comment about the "Academy Award performances" by addicts in the ER. He had been burned so many times he simply refused to prescribe without an OV (of course he then wrote my scripts). Many of us have viewed some docs as tyrants, but there is usually MUCH more to any such story!
Unread 01-06-2011, 11:11 AM   #36
Jamesisdone

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissSurvivor View Post
how would the pharmacy fill you another RX if you're not due until the 14th? I only see the 3 day rule come in effect or a doctor increasing your dose on the RX so it's filled early.

Well said!!!!!!!!
Jamesisdone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2011, 12:05 PM   #37
Sub-Zero

Quote:
Thanks everybody sincerely for your advice, this is the most I have ever gotten on this site, maybe it helps to be irritable sometimes.....LOL Jamielee
I think you would get more direct answers if you make your questions more concise. In defense of the people who took the time and tried to help you (albeit not to your satisfaction) some of your posting was confusing and laborious to read. Shorter more direct questions are easier for people to read and understand and will make them more likely to respond.-IMO
Sub

The time you filled you last script only applies to refills, pharmacies cannot us the time since last script to deny you your prescription if you are presenting a new one.
6 Users Say Thank You to Sub-Zero For This Useful Post:
Thank You (01-12-2011), Thank You (01-11-2011), Thank You (01-07-2011), Thank You (01-06-2011), Thank You (01-06-2011), Thank You (01-06-2011)
Unread 01-06-2011, 07:13 PM   #38
jamielee

Hi all just an update, I am actually doing o.k. some effects from withdrawal but not as bad as I had expected it to be. Now to make it until Monday!!
Yes I know toms that Drs have a time with addicts, I was once there telling my stories too so I am aware of that fact, but as I said my Dr knows me very well, and again maybe he is afraid of losing his license? Who knows why he won't see me early, but I will find out Monday!!
O.K. subzero, point well taken, I will try to write shorter posts and get to the point with my questions. I do appreciate everyone that has written back with advise and experiences. Thanks for the info on the pharmacy, I thought for sure they would tell me I was early and that I couldn't get my Rx on Monday. (My pharmacy did that when I was taking the lortabs, had to wait until my 30 day mark to get the Rx)
My thoughts have been so scattered and I have been so frustrated with this situation that I have gotten angry at times, part of this evil wicked addiction I'm sure, because I was not like this before the addiction. Again sorry if I offended anyone.
Hanging in there until Monday! Thanks all, Jamielee
P.S. what is IMO?

Last edited by jamielee; 01-06-2011 at 07:17 PM..
jamielee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2011, 07:21 PM   #39
jamielee

james and Miss survivor here is what subzero said...
The time you filled you last script only applies to refills, pharmacies cannot use the time since last script to deny you your prescription if you are presenting a new one.[/QUOTE]
Unread 01-06-2011, 08:06 PM   #40
Sub-Zero

Hi Jamielee,
no problem let me explain what I said better, When a pharmacy is refilling a prescription, meaning it was originally written with refills, then the pharmacy can be liable if they fill it too soon and someone ODs, but if a new prescription is issued from a doctor it can be filled right away and the liability shifts to the doctor. Still the pharmacists might still not want to fill it in which case you ask for it back and take it another pharmacy. Doctors issue extra prescriptions all the time for things like lost medications or dose changes and pharmacies would be dangerous obstructionists if they made everyone wait through the period of that prescription filled. I hope you are able to get more medication.
Sub
Unread 01-07-2011, 12:15 AM   #41
MissSurvivor

Well in my experience, the times I've had my methadone scripts early (way back when) my insurance wouldn't cover it and I couldn't even buy it in cash. The only way was for the methadone dose to be increased on the script. But who knows? That's just what has happened to me and it never worked.
Thank You (01-07-2011)
Unread 01-07-2011, 01:59 AM   #42
mlk_2900

Hi Jamielee, I am so sorry you have had this happen to you but I am glad that you seem to be hanging in there! I don't really have any advice to share other than what has been mentioned above.

About getting a new prescription filled before 30 days has passed since the old one, I recently had something like that happen. In my case my doctor got off the normal dates in writing my scripts, so I had some left at home but wanted to go ahead and fill the new script since the pharmacy is an hour away. The pharmacist was extremely rude about the whole situation and basically refused to fill the script even if I paid cash (insurance wouldn't fill it yet, which I understood) which I wouldn't have done anyway but it was the principal of the matter that made me upset. I didn't think he was able to do that on a new script that wasn't a refill. However I did have a member on here tell me that any pharmacy can refuse to fill your prescription for any reason, so I guess that could happen. Although, when I complained to the pharmacy manager about this guy's conduct in general and what he said concerning not allowing me to pick up my prescription he told me that he had no reason to refuse to give me my prescription. I know that doesn't really help as I am still not sure what the "rules" are regarding this, but wanted to share this with you. I hope that you are able to get through until Monday without too many problems and that you will be able to pick up your medicine that day!
mlk_2900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2011, 07:25 AM   #43
Jamesisdone

They will ONLY fill it when the script is due to be filled UNLESS your doctor writes for a different amount or puts on the script to fill it now.
Jamesisdone is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to Jamesisdone For This Useful Post:
Thank You (01-07-2011)
Unread 01-07-2011, 07:54 PM   #44
jamielee

Red face

Hi all, well I am sick now, amazing it took that long to get here, so just for the record, I took my last sub. on Sun the 2nd and really didn't get totally sick until today, Fri. the 7th. I got up this morning and said OH NO! I have read that sub stays in your system for 3 days. I guess everyone is different. Thank goodness Fridays are half day for work, but boy was I irritable and had to be very careful how I responded to my co-workers. I have body aches, hot/cold, runny nose, sneezing, lethargy, and those darned bathroom issues even with taking the Thomas recipe and Imodium! I think the worse part is the emotional part- being angry one minute over the simplest thing and crying the next over some sad thing on t.v. or some sad song!
So.... on Monday at 8 A.M. I go to the Dr. for my sub rx, I want to ask for a different strength so I can get it that day and also have my ins. pay for it. Anyone know what to do here or have any advice? I am on 8mg once a day.
I really appreciate all your responses and I know I have not been the most pleasant person lately, for that I apologize. This addiction situation I have put myself in is a living hell... totally. I hate everything about it- right down to having to take the sub to get better, I swear once I get to the point where I can wean myself off of it, I will never do this to myself again. I cannot do this again. I want to be normal so bad. Before this addiction I was always a happy person, funny how a chemical can change your own natural brain function in producing your own endorphins/hormones in that it takes so long to get that back without the help of another drug. It totally changed my personality. One question I do have concerning this....Do you ever get "normal" as far as your brain producing its own endorphins and hormones once off sub? What has been your experience after tapering off? I really want to know the answer to that question, how bout it subz, miss survivor, tlg, mlk, james, and anyone else that has been off sub for a period of time. I will search posts for an answer to that one!
Thanks again everyone for all your advice, Jamielee
Unread 01-07-2011, 09:14 PM   #45
NancyB
Administrator

Hi Jamielee, Suboxone has a halflife of around 37 hours, so, depending on the dose, it can stay in the system for a while. So the 8mg you took on Sunday was 4mg after 37 hours; 2mg after another 37 hours and so on, but you still had Suboxone working that you had taken in prior days, that's what worked in your favor this week.

Please take a look at this thread, it has different ways people have done to help with WDs:
http://www.addictionsurvivors.org/vb...ad.php?t=14693

Suboxone only comes in 8mg or 2mg pills or strips. Call ahead to pharmacies to make sure that they do have it. Also check with your insurance company and see what they cover. They may a 'formulary' online; if not, call them and find out for sure.

This thread has a bunch of stories of people who have tapered off, it might be helpful in seeing how people tapered and felt afterwards. Mary, Mike, Sub-Zero, jamesisdone, cally and others felt fine after tapering. The important thing is to do the work needed while the Suboxone is stopping your cravings and withdrawals - that is what helps rewire the brain's pathways that were compromised.
http://www.addictionsurvivors.org/vb...ad.php?t=16678

This might be interesting, it's from the HBO "Addiction" Series:
http://www.hbo.com/addiction/underst...addiction.html

I hope that you don't get much worse over the weekend. You're doing great, hang in there.

Nancy
One User Says Thank You to NancyB For This Useful Post:
Thank You (01-08-2011)
Unread 01-07-2011, 10:18 PM   #46
jamielee

Thanks NancyB for that info, I read the posts about people after sub., that helped me so much to know that I will be normal again, I may be ahead of what I should be thinking about right now, but I needed that answer! I know I am not the normal patient (I think you would agree with me after this past week- grins) I felt so bad tonight that I had to have some relief so I drank 2 beers and it actually helped my withdrawals, not that I recommend that to everyone, it just worked for me. Now to make it until Monday and pray I can get my rx filled somewhere!! I think I will try a different pharmacy, just hope I don't have any trouble, I mean getting into trouble for an early rx since some pharmacies share info here. Funny.. in all my addiction years I have always been aware of laws and afraid of going to jail. Now I am trying to get better and still afraid of getting into trouble! If I can't get it filled I will have to wait until Fri the 14th for my 30 day mark. It is what it is and I am dealing with it. I am so tired of worrying, but mainly my mood is my worst part of all this, angry one minute and cry the next. Irritable as all get out too, I hate this addiction. It really helps knowing that there is hope ahead.... knowing that I will live a normal life one day. Thanks bunches NancyB Jamlelee
Unread 01-07-2011, 10:58 PM   #47
tlg

As far as refilling and filling meds go, it really depends on the pharmacy you're using and if you're using insurance or paying out of pocket. With paying out of pocket, I have gotten refills early on a number of occasions. If you're using insurance, there's a lot of times that if you're filling to early your insurance company wont cover it and will call for a prior authorization. But, when I was in active addiction, there were many times that my insurance wouldn't cover a refill so I'd do a partial refill and pay out of pocket. But just like some people have said their pharmacies wont let them do partial refills, it really has to do with who you're dealing with and the type of medications you're trying to fill. When I lost my insurance, I was only able to pay for 10 Subs every 5 days or so, so they would just do a partial refill. Anyway, I am sure you don't need that info right this moment, but it's a good thing to know what your options are.
Thank You (01-09-2011)
Unread 01-08-2011, 02:46 AM   #48
mlk_2900

So sorry to hear the withdrawals are hitting you now! Try to stay as positive as possible and remember there is light at the end of the tunnel. I know that is easier said than done but it really will help.

I did have a recent experience to add to the pharmacy and refill information, although like many have said this most likely will differ from pharmacy to pharmacy. My sub doctor also writes my prescriptions for my depression medication which I needed a refill on. So today I dropped off my prescription from this past Monday, but forgot to tell them to only fill my depression meds and hold off of filling my sub script since my insurance won't pay yet. Well when I go to pick up they come back with all three medications and let me know that it will be next week before my insurance will pay for the sub so if I wanted it then I would have to pay cash. It has been about 3 weeks since I last filled my sub script. They said nothing to me about 30 days other than the insurance information. I of course left it there and am planning on picking it up when my insurance will pay. This is the same pharmacy that I had problems with last month so who knows, sometimes I think even within the same pharmacy it depends on the pharmacist you are dealing with.

As far as tapering off, I understand your concern. However try to not think too much about that until that time comes. Right now, esp. with what you are currently going through too much worrisome thoughts about getting off suboxone and how you will feel, etc. can create even more problems, stress, and anxiety at the moment, which you don't need. I am not yet off my subutex so I can't say for sure how I will feel once I am, but I can say that I have successfully lowered my dose with no issues so far. In fact I have found it rather easy to do so when your brain is ready. So don't overthink it, the time will come, and more than likely as long as you are using this time to work on any issues and develop new coping skills, tapering may come natural and easily to you.

I will be thinking about you and I hope on Monday everything works out for you!
mlk_2900 is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to mlk_2900 For This Useful Post:
Thank You (01-09-2011)
Unread 01-09-2011, 12:08 AM   #49
HelloKitty

Hi Jamielee, just wanted to let you know that I am saying a prayer for you right now, hoping you are doing ok!! Keep us updated as soon as you are up to it!!
HelloKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to HelloKitty For This Useful Post:
Thank You (01-09-2011)
Unread 01-09-2011, 01:34 PM   #50
jamielee

Unhappy

Hi all, thanks for the well wishes, prayers and support, I am feeling even worse today, but tomorrow is Monday, I just pray that I can get my rx filled, also wondering how this first dose of Sub.will affect me -if I get the rx filled that is...after being without my Sub and taking one in the morning. I have to work tomorrow. I'm guessing it will be similar to when I took my first dose of Sub. I work 1/2 day tomorrow unless I get called in earlier.
All in all, this isn't as bad as I have had in the past with the withdrawal symptoms. My main problem is the depression, or just not happy. Now my hormones are going crazy, (or is it no endorphins active or present in my brain??) I laid on the couch this morning watching the news about the shooting in Az. I cried and cried about the 9 year old girl who was killed, how terrible. I cannot imagine what her mother is going through. I had to change the channel, could not watch anymore of that. So told myself to get up and shower, move around some. I did, turned on the radio and "Who are you when I'm not looking" was playing and I cried again. I thought my goodness get a hold of yourself. This is truly the worst symptom for me while in withdrawals. I have thought on and off all morning, call someone and see if I can get just one pill to make things better, but I haven't for many reasons. I don't want to open that door to those friendships that I have closed, also I know I would disappoint myself just taking one pill, then have to deal with the guilt. Then I'm afraid of what my Dr. would say and do. So hanging in there until tomorrow. If I ever get over this I swear I will never do this to myself again, no let me rephrase that...WHEN I get over this....you know the rest.
As my friend once told me, one pill is too much and 1000 will never be enough!! Jamielee