Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 11-05-2010, 10:44 PM   #1
willard47

Angry Panic Attacks Anyone??

Holy crap:

Doing 8 mg a day, for 3 weeks, went to get a facial massage, had the most serious of panic problems. Never had a panic attack before but I had to get up and leave the table right after the hot towel was placed on my face. Everything came closing in on me and I thought i was losing it. Lot's of anxiety going on, md says to increase neurontin dosage. Anyone else have this going on?? Wondering if i'm making a mistake, was doing about 100 mg of norcos a day and now I'm in a world of major drug problems that I am trying to get out of. I think I'm in over my head and maybe should have just gone into wd's for a few hrs. (did it once before)was very bad but over in 24 hours in the hospital. Damn, i don't know what to do. I have a therapist now, but appt is in 2 weeks. shit! I guess i don't have a specific question, just letting off steam.
willard47 is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to willard47 For This Useful Post:
Thank You (11-08-2010)
Unread 11-05-2010, 11:03 PM   #2
jules13

hi willard, i have hd severe panic attacks , just recently my reg doc put me on wellibutrin and after a week it was bad had a bad panic attack my bp was thru the roof i do have to take clonipin as a as i need basis (only 2-3 times per month. i know how they feel like and its aweful i hope yours get better with time good luckjules
jules13 is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to jules13 For This Useful Post:
Thank You (11-08-2010)
Unread 11-05-2010, 11:07 PM   #3
willard47

Thanks, i have the clonepin also, my doc said to throw it away. I think it helps somewhat so I'll keep it on hand.

sorry, i have clonodine (bp blood pressure med..) It doesn't do a whole lot for anxiety like clonopin does. Thanks, willard.
Unread 11-06-2010, 04:57 PM   #4
tlg

Willard~
Panic attacks happen, and some people have had them a number of times, some people on ly once or never. My personal story...I was taking clonopin as needed for years before I got off all the drugs and started to get my life back together. When I first started on my Sub, it seems like I had a lot more anxiety attacks, but I have since been off all benzo's and only take buspar as needed if I have any anxiety problems. You have to try and keep thinking back to if you've made the right decision with taking the sub's or now. IMO, you have made a life changing decision, but with that said, it's not just going to be easy sailing from here. You have a lot to work on, and you will learn while working on this stuff, things that may cause you to have anxiety attacks, and how to hopefully make those situations better. Point is...,here you are, on the road to recovery. Stop thinking so negative, try and be more positive, and realize that if you didn't take the path you are on now, you may not have had another option ig you would've waited much longer. Take care, and def. mention this anxiety to your therapist so maybe he/she can help you come up with some things that may help.
Trina
Thank You (11-08-2010)
Unread 11-06-2010, 09:52 PM   #5
MissSurvivor

Sometimes when we start treatment, some issues my float to the surface because you're not high anymore. When we're poppin' a bunch of pills, it masks any mental ailments we may have or develop. I've always had anxiety issues but they went away when I started doing pills. After I started Suboxone I take Klonopin, on an "as needed" basis. Something to consider.
Thank You (11-07-2010), Thank You (11-08-2010)
Unread 11-07-2010, 07:05 AM   #6
DARKEYES

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissSurvivor View Post
Sometimes when we start treatment, some issues my float to the surface because you're not high anymore. When we're poppin' a bunch of pills, it masks any mental ailments we may have or develop. I've always had anxiety issues but they went away when I started doing pills. After I started Suboxone I take Klonopin, on an "as needed" basis. Something to consider.
Oh yes. My trigger for a panic attack is to try to drive at dawn. My therapist told me that because that's what time the accident happened, that time of day and trying to drive triggers the panic. It took me a long time just to drive over a bridge and I live in Pittsburgh, you can't get anywhere without driving through tunnels or over bridges. Unless you stay in your neighborhood. And Klonopin helped me when I was taking it too, but my PCP weaned me from them. But thats the only time I panic, if there is some type of emergency, I just have to do it, because right now I don't have to, it's OK with me. But not for lack of trying. I got to the stop sign two doors away from my house and panicked. Parked the car and walked TWO DOORS up, thats how bad the panic was.
Unread 11-07-2010, 10:48 AM   #7
bonita

Quote:
Yes... why not just start another addictive drug? Really?

How about learning how to live without another drug? I do remember a time when it was a no no to do bz with sub... now that the sub causes anxiety.. as many have the trend is to just medicate that symptom....now they give adderal too... just amazes me.
bonita is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2010, 01:09 PM   #8
DARKEYES

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonita View Post

How about learning how to live without another drug? I do remember a time when it was a no no to do bz with sub... now that the sub causes anxiety.. as many have the trend is to just medicate that symptom....now they give adderal too... just amazes me.

As long as benzodiazapam is taken as prescribed it works well for those that take them. Just because MS takes them in accordance with her doctor's orders no harm, no foul. And many people take antidepressants with sub too, again, no harm, no foul. It's the people that ABUSE benzos that have a problem with them. Being on sub for over a year now, the people that I know on a personal basis, do not abuse anything. Seeing the light at the end of the tunnel sub has helped so many people STOP abusing anything. It's just like taking your inhaler if you can't breath, or is that just another addictive drug? I know I can't go without my blood pressure medicine. So as long IMO as benzodiazapam is being taken as prescribed, as long as my blood pressure med is taken as prescribed there is nothing wrong with that
Thank You (11-07-2010), Thank You (11-07-2010), Thank You (11-08-2010), Thank You (11-07-2010), Thank You (11-08-2010), Thank You (11-09-2010)
Unread 11-07-2010, 04:57 PM   #9
MissSurvivor

Ignorance is bliss. Some people can actually relapse because of anxiety/panic disorders. I think it's best to treat the issue - if it is an issue. For example, I take Klonopin.. oh.. 3x a month. It's on an "as needed basis". Therefore, I am not "addicted" or physically dependent. Anyone being on a benzo doesn't mean they're going to be addicted. Really?

Last edited by MissSurvivor; 11-07-2010 at 05:06 PM..
MissSurvivor is offline   Reply With Quote
4 Users Say Thank You to MissSurvivor For This Useful Post:
Thank You (11-07-2010), Thank You (11-07-2010), Thank You (11-08-2010), Thank You (11-07-2010)
Unread 11-08-2010, 10:51 AM   #10
MaJaBe

I agree MissS & Darkeyes.
When drugs are abused is when they are a problem, and that's when addiction happens. Taking a medicine for a medical condition as prescribed is not addiction.
Do we really need Nancy to come on over with the link explaining the difference between physical dependance and addiction?
Just like Miss S said, people relapse because of this stuff. If it's a real problem and people have tried every other method before resorting to benzo's and that's the only thing that helps, and they take is as prescribed and do not abuse it, there is nothing wrong with that, IMHO.
MaJaBe is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Say Thank You to MaJaBe For This Useful Post:
Thank You (11-09-2010), Thank You (11-08-2010)
Unread 11-08-2010, 11:28 AM   #11
Icandothis

Default fear of having a panic attack

I've put this panic attack in the closet for awhile because I'm afraid of it. Lately after this car accident getting hit at a red light listening to radio whenever I drive by my daughter's high school where it happened I feel one coming on and my heart is pumping out of my chest and I can't breathe right. So I just don't don't drive there anymore. At least not for now.

I'm having regular panic attacks since on a suboxone quit plan. I am so fearful of having one it starts to build and when I finally deal with it Im relieved. It's a cycle and I don't really understand it. I finally mentioned to my dr about panic attacks and he gave me librium for short term this month only.

I just wonder how im going to deal with these attacks as they come. I really don't want to be on any more pills
Icandothis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2010, 12:18 PM   #12
MaJaBe

There are many methods out there for dealing with panic/anxiety attacks. The one that I have heard the most from my doctors is to BREATHE. They told me that part of panic attacks is that you stop breathing normally, and that not enough oxygen gets to the brain, making it worse.

Something that they had me try, to avoid adding another anxiety medication or increasing my dose. It worked, and I was able to stay on the same dose I have been on for years.
When I get that "racing, OMG, panic" feeling (hard to describe, but you know what I mean), I stop, take deep, even, calm breaths, and 8 times out of 10, that stops it from getting any worse. Granted, I'm on medication for these attacks so that helps, too, but I was still getting occasional severe panic attacks, even at my current dose of anxiety meds. The end result of a severe panic attack for me is usually hyperventilation, passing out, or close to it, and not being able to see, everything goes gray and it's horrible. So avoiding that has been a wonderful thing. The hard part is just remembering to do it when they come, because I'm not exactly calm and collected and rational when it happens, lol. But give it a try and see if it works for you!
Unread 11-08-2010, 12:47 PM   #13
tlg

Everyone is different, and I think we've all already figured that out. To sit and say that taking benzo's is just picking up another addiction is pretty ignorant (being lack of knowladge and understanding) I personally quit taking benzo's when I got out of rehab instead of going back on them for fear of abusing them, but this was my choice and me being cautious, even tho I've never had a problem with misusing them before. With that said, I have had a few times where I needed to take them, and did fine with it when I did. We are on Sub to try and free ourselves from addiction, and that means, if we've had a problem with them before, then the best thing to do would be to stay away from them. Once we have been on Sub for a while and started to get our life back, then HOPEFULLY, we can see when we are going back into that old behavior and do what needs to be done to fix that behavior. To sit and say that by taking benzo's is going to cause another addiction IMO is just sterotyping people who've had addiction problems. So, I find that comment is a little out of place, especially when majority of us on here are over coming an active addiction, or have a friend or loved one doing the same. We are trying so hard to educate people to understand addiction, but sometimes we still need to remember to educate ourselves. Just wanted to share MY opinion!

Willard~
I hope you are doing better and haven;t had anymore panic attacks, but if you have, there are a lot of things you can look into that can help with them when they occur! As posted above, BREATHING is a big help, in which a lot of times when we're in panic mode, we tend to forget to do. I was always told to focus on my breathing, and do it slowly (breath in.....and out....) Please let us know when you have a chance how it's going now!
Trina
Unread 11-08-2010, 04:27 PM   #14
DARKEYES

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlg View Post
We are trying so hard to educate people to understand addiction, but sometimes we still need to remember to educate ourselves. Just wanted to share MY opinion!

Willard~
I hope you are doing better and haven;t had anymore panic attacks, but if you have, there are a lot of things you can look into that can help with them when they occur! As posted above, BREATHING is a big help, in which a lot of times when we're in panic mode, we tend to forget to do. I was always told to focus on my breathing, and do it slowly (breath in.....and out....) Please let us know when you have a chance how it's going now!
Trina
We all live under that nasty neon sign STIGMA. And Trina your right, we must become more proactive in education. For ourselves and for those that do not understand that a disease can be controlled with medication. Until, as one poster most aptly put it, the "powers that be" stop raising their glass of alcohol to the lost years ago drug war, it is our mission to educate them. Thank God that most sub doctors know as much as they do and don't look at us like freaks. Perhaps some day everyone will accept the fact that our disease is just like any other chronic disease that we are being treated for with medication. Sub is not the holy grail by any means, but to a lot of us it is right now. We have to do the hard work, get involved. Nancy, Tim, Edward, they give so much of their time toward that goal. We, all of us have to as well. What ever it takes for us to go on is what we must do, for ourselves and others too.
Thank You (11-08-2010)
Unread 11-08-2010, 06:19 PM   #15
willard47

Great info , I got a lot out of this discussion. No panic problems since last week, and I got to see a therapist for the first visit today. We are going to work on anxiety issues to start with (once a week) and she did talk about breathing and hypervenilation so that seems to be an integral piece of the anxiety treatment. I really can understand the panic issues better now and feel for everyone going through this.
Unread 11-08-2010, 10:01 PM   #16
Ricanhavoc

Angry Panic Attacks....

Willard and others:
I started Suboxone on September 29th. Nancy, the moderator knows me well. I wondered what happened when I stopped taking Hydrocodone. I thought I would feel normal when I started the Suboxone. I guess I got so accustomed to getting up in the morning and starting my day with one or two 10/325mg Hydrocodone. I felt aimless, nervous, strange like I was looking for something. Nothing seemed to satisfy me and I was irritable, too. What I have figured out is that the constant euphoria is no longer there and that 'this' is how I feel without the Hydrocodone. Every day is very hard, a counselor told me it was like losing my best friend. I did not realize how the Hydrocodone was affecting me. I now know, without it, I feel very strange. Something is missing. I take Klonipin for anxiety, just one half of a 1 mg. It helps. The strange feeling you may have is just yourself without the feeling the opiate gave you. Hang in there, it is hard. Every day. If anyone else can identify, please chime in here and respond.
Take it easy.
Cynthia
Ricanhavoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2010, 10:10 PM   #17
Ricanhavoc

This is exactly what I was talking about when I was writing Willard. What happened was that the Hydrocodone was masking other issues, like anxiety for me and some depression, too. It feels so terribly strange without it. I don't get up in the morning feeling great after taking my first dose of Hydrocodone. That feeling is missing and it is very hard like I posted to Willard. I guess, I am a different person.
Night is hard as I have to go home alone after being with friends. I feel aimless and irritable, nervous at night. It is not fun as many of you know and now, I see that many people must feel very similar to how I am feeling.
I miss the Hydrocodone, yes. I am taking 8mg/2mg of the sublingual film.
The feeling of not being satisfied by anything is something thata surely must be related to not taking the Hydrocodone. That is a big one for me, also. This is pretty hard. I often wonder if I (we) will all ever feel normal again.
Thanks for reading everyone.

Cynthia
Unread 11-08-2010, 10:12 PM   #18
MissSurvivor

Darkeyes, Jackie, Trina, and everyone - thanks for your input I really love hearing everyone's opinion. If I was not on Suboxone and Klonopin, and I was thrown into an anxiety attack (I don't get panic attacks) it'd made me want to use tremendously.. even though it doesn't happen too often. My brain is always in hyperdrive thinking of every bad possible thing that can happen. When I was growing up, my mom always found the worst thing that can happen in a situation which is basically being careful. I think I've gotten a lot of that from my mother (not blaming her at all) but it does suck.

Sometimes, I'll lay in bed and imagine what would happen if my mother died. I start thinking of what I would do, how I would be able to be tear-free for 5 minutes, how would I not be able to call her whenever I needed, the funeral, who would help with her stuff, how would i handle all the paper work I don't know how to deal with anything yet, she still does a lot for me.. omg omg omg omg omg omg omg.. ((crying)) ((curling into ball)) ((stomach twirling)) sound familiar? or I'll start thinking what if someone breaks in the house what would be my method to get away? What would happen if something happened to my daughter? Would I kill myself? probably. What if someone hurt her or stole her? omg omg omg omg omg

Irrational thinking but rational at the same time.. I HATE ANXIETY ATTACKS.

If I feel that coming on, I take half of a Klonopin (0.5mg) and it stomps right on that anxiety and calms me down. Which is way better than me calling a drug dealer.
Unread 11-08-2010, 10:19 PM   #19
MissSurvivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricanhavoc View Post
This is exactly what I was talking about when I was writing Willard. What happened was that the Hydrocodone was masking other issues, like anxiety for me and some depression, too. It feels so terribly strange without it. I don't get up in the morning feeling great after taking my first dose of Hydrocodone. That feeling is missing and it is very hard like I posted to Willard. I guess, I am a different person.
Night is hard as I have to go home alone after being with friends. I feel aimless and irritable, nervous at night. It is not fun as many of you know and now, I see that many people must feel very similar to how I am feeling.
I miss the Hydrocodone, yes. I am taking 8mg/2mg of the sublingual film.
The feeling of not being satisfied by anything is something thata surely must be related to not taking the Hydrocodone. That is a big one for me, also. This is pretty hard. I often wonder if I (we) will all ever feel normal again.
Thanks for reading everyone.

Cynthia

Cynthia,
How long have you been on Suboxone now? I must have not been following your story well -I'm sorry. If you're still early in recovery, these feelings are VERY VERY NORMAL. When I started one-on-one therapy, I ALWAYS talked about this emptiness and dysphoria. I found little to no enjoyment in my life. You have to find something that gives you a natural high.. something that makes you happy. What made you happy before you were using? I started going to school and to be honest, getting good grades is the new high for me! I'm so excited for a new career. It takes a little time but please give your life a chance you deserve it!!!!!!!
Thank You (11-09-2010)
Unread 11-09-2010, 07:14 AM   #20
DARKEYES

Quote:
Irrational thinking but rational at the same time.. I HATE ANXIETY ATTACKS.

If I feel that coming on, I take half of a Klonopin (0.5mg) and it stomps right on that anxiety and calms me down. Which is way better than me calling a drug
Sorry, I'm the queen of worry, for example, my daughter went to Mexico, but forgot to tell me. (she's 35 she didn't have to tell me), I'm in the grocery store waiting my turn and reading the newspaper about PIRATES STEELING THE MEN AND KILLING THEM TO TAKE THE WOMEN. Talk about panic. Well, being the way I am, I called her hotel room and of course she got mad at me when she stars with "MOTHER" I know shes upset. BUT the next day I'm watching CNN news and there WAS ANOTHER KILLING these pirates are out of hand. I didn't even call her again, she would have probably hung up on me

And .05mg of klonipin is like putting two surgar grains on your finger, ignore the people who don't understand. But it works, that's the important thing.
Unread 11-09-2010, 09:07 AM   #21
MissSurvivor

Thanks Darkeyes! I can't take a full 1mg I'll get a "high" feeling and I don't like it.
Unread 11-09-2010, 11:16 AM   #22
DARKEYES

Quote:
Thanks Darkeyes! I can't take a full 1mg I'll get a "high" feeling and I don't like it.
Your very welcome, but truth is truth right? Who wants to be around someone so high on benzo's they blubber? My son would get that way and he would be so mean to me, the first time I ever lay a hand on him he was thirty years old. I slapped him right in the face and when he came down he was where I had left him, in the snow, to walk home. It took a very long time for his psychiatrist to wean him off them. Then the tears came and I held him and told him it was OK, that he was lucky he still had teeth, and we both laughed. Now, the change in him is fantastic, three years remission. Two beautiful boys, he's a man now.
Unread 11-09-2010, 11:19 AM   #23
Ricanhavoc

Unhappy The anxiiety Miss Survivor talks about

Miss Survivor,
Thanks for your post. Here is my background. Started on September 29. Was taking Hydrocodone 10/325mg about 9 per day. I was glad to hear that the dysphoria and anxiety is normal. As you can see, I am new to treatment. I too, have klonopin and have to take a half sometimes. Taking two sublingual films 8mg/2mg per day. Like I said, from reading the posts, I see and from what you say, these feelings are normal. That aimless, dysphoric feeling.

Do you go to meetings much?
Does it help, if you do.
Anyone, please chime in on this?

Thanks so much.

Cynthia
(Ricanhavoc)
Unread 11-09-2010, 11:57 AM   #24
MaJaBe

When I first started sub, I had "homework" from my sub doctor. This homework was to explore any and all avenues of recovery. Each week I had to try a different one. One of the first ones I tried was NA. I didn't much care for it at first, my first couple meetings. Then after I was done trying everything I could find, I went back to NA. And I kept going back, and I keep going back. For me, I found the fellowship and friends that I was looking for. People who were not using, and cliche as it may sound, they had found a new way of life, without drugs. I saw these people, and I wanted what they had. Which was peace, and being able to deal with life without using drugs to get through the hard stuff. They use each other to get through the hard stuff.
I had to look around to find the best meeting for me, and if I had based my opinion of NA on the one or two meetings I went to that first week, I would have never gone back. But I'm so glad I did, and that I gave it a second and third chance.
Now I go to about 4 meetings a week, I'm involved in my homegroup. We go on trips together, hang out together. I've found a whole new set of friends who have the same goals that I do, which is to live life without drugs.
This is my experience on the matter, but there are so many different kinds of meetings out there.
NA, AA, CR, SMART, and on and on.
If you're interested in meetings, my advice would be to go to everything you can find, and sit back and just listen for your first few meetings, and see if you like what you hear.
Have a great day!
Thank You (11-09-2010), Thank You (11-09-2010)
Unread 11-09-2010, 12:14 PM   #25
bonita

Quote:
Originally Posted by DARKEYES View Post
As long as benzodiazapam is taken as prescribed it works well for those that take them. Just because MS takes them in accordance with her doctor's orders no harm, no foul. And many people take antidepressants with sub too, again, no harm, no foul. It's the people that ABUSE benzos that have a problem with them. Being on sub for over a year now, the people that I know on a personal basis, do not abuse anything. Seeing the light at the end of the tunnel sub has helped so many people STOP abusing anything. It's just like taking your inhaler if you can't breath, or is that just another addictive drug? I know I can't go without my blood pressure medicine. So as long IMO as benzodiazapam is being taken as prescribed, as long as my blood pressure med is taken as prescribed there is nothing wrong with that
For me.... life without drugs is so rewarding. I dont care what the MD rx, dosnt make it less addictive and make one less a slave. LOL... the meth program use that BS of if you diebetic you wouldnt stop using insulin thingy... So, I see bz for anxiety cause by sub, adderal for pep that sub drains you of. AD, I surely suffer this after sub. But its a choice. Live life on life terms or drug your way thru it.
bonita is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2010, 12:30 PM   #26
MaJaBe

Better than being a slave to panic attacks, afraid to go places, living in fear of when the next one is coming. For me, life without anxiety attacks is so rewarding.
Thank You (11-09-2010), Thank You (11-10-2010)
Unread 11-09-2010, 01:10 PM   #27
theswan

Hello

I had major anxiety for months and discovered it was my diabetes medication-Metformin. I stopped and started 3 times to be sure, and it was!

Just for me maybe others

Glen
theswan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2010, 01:57 PM   #28
DARKEYES

Quote:
For me.... life without drugs is so rewarding. I dont care what the MD rx, dosnt make it less addictive and make one less a slave. LOL... the meth program use that BS of if you diebetic you wouldnt stop using insulin thingy... So, I see bz for anxiety cause by sub, adderal for pep that sub drains you of. AD, I surely suffer this after sub. But its a choice. Live life on life terms or drug your way thru it.
I don't see it as "drug your way through it", I view it as a chronic disease being controlled with medication. With sub there is no IMHO comparison with methadone, the abuse factor is still there w/meth. With benzo's too, but I could be there are no people in this community that are abusing them. If you need them you need them. Just like I need my medication for my disease of chronic drug addiction. Methadone clinics make you a slave to your disease IMHO, sub does not, nor benzo's if taken as prescribed. But, whatever floats your boat is OK with me. And I'm sure most people see it the same way. It's your life, you have it back and so do we. We don't want the scrutiny that people force on us, we have had it to long, living under that sign. REMISSION NOT STIGMA in its stead.
Unread 11-09-2010, 07:47 PM   #29
MissSurvivor

Darkeyes,
Agreed. But I just can't waste anymore typing on this person. It's like talking to a brick wall.
Thank You (11-10-2010), Thank You (11-09-2010)
Unread 11-09-2010, 09:00 PM   #30
wai

Quote:
Ignorance is bliss. Some people can actually relapse because of anxiety/panic disorders. I think it's best to treat the issue - if it is an issue. For example, I take Klonopin.. oh.. 3x a month. It's on an "as needed basis". Therefore, I am not "addicted" or physically dependent. Anyone being on a benzo doesn't mean they're going to be addicted. Really?
I did relapse because of anxiety about 5 weeks ago. That's when I started here. I'm good now but it's still a challenge everyday. My doctor will not prescribe me anything and my only addiction was to opiates. I have never abused any benzo's. I think that if you need it you need it just don't abuse it. Anyone who has ever had real anxiety would know and agree with this.
wai is offline   Reply With Quote
5 Users Say Thank You to wai For This Useful Post:
Thank You (11-10-2010), Thank You (11-13-2010), Thank You (11-10-2010), Thank You (11-09-2010), Thank You (11-09-2010)
Unread 11-09-2010, 11:06 PM   #31
wai

Quote:
I've been thinking about this. It's interesting to hear this coming from someone on sub.
wai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2010, 11:26 PM   #32
tlg

Everyone has their own opinions and way of thinking. If you have had an addiction and over come and grown from that, then you know what is and isn't right for you. Yes, maybe you have more of a chance to become addicted to a benzo if you have had problems with previous addiction, but that doesn't mean that you are going to abuse it, especially if you really need it. Again, when you sit and judge people and stereotype them, it just shows ignorance and that you need more education on the disease. I have had anxiety since before I ever touched any drug or alcohol, and I am sure many others on here have as well. Here's an example, someone very close and important to me has a mother who's agoraphobic, and tho she still doesn't ever leave her house and is pretty much out of touch with the whole world, when she doesn't take her klonopin, she wont even associate with the people she loves, her own parents even...so here is someone who has to be on anxiety and depression medication, otherwise I am pretty sure she wouldn't be here with us today. She also had a previous addiction but over came it. So she is not "druging" her way thru it, she is living life the best she can with the disease she has. Yes, maybe she is on an addictive drug, and maybe she could become addicted one day, but if she doesn't have someone helping her with her meds and being sure she is taking them, then as I said before I am pretty sure she wouldn't be here today, and if she was she'd be in fetal position living her life in a corner or closet. So say what you'd like, but again, just because a drug can be addicting doesn't mean you're going to become addicted, and just because you've had previous addictions doesn't mean so either. Why must we group and stereotype all these people in one catagory when we are all different. With that being said, this like many other things in this world will sadly be a forever argument where one person is wrong and the other is right, so it doesn't matter how much we try and teach and educate people and try and help them understand these things, there will still be ignorant people left who are too close minded to listen and learn.

I'd like to add, that I don't think it's right for someone to come and post negative opinions on a forum that's here to help educate and help people to over come this disease. If someone is on the right path to recovery, and doing what works for them, then as long as they aren't abusing theses things which are helping them, why would someone want to try and tell them that what they are doing is just trading one addiction for another? Just kinda upsetting to me anyways.
Unread 11-10-2010, 07:55 AM   #33
DARKEYES

Quote:
Darkeyes,
Agreed. But I just can't waste anymore typing on this person. It's like talking to a brick wall.
You know your right, I think I just killed my keyboard on the last post to this person. Whatever floats the boat for her is OK with me. Everyone is entitled to their own way of living. And the only thing that happens with a brick wall is you get hurt one way or the other, and that's not what this community is about. I've been thinking of a vacation, the holidays in Vermont again, did it once froze my you know what off, but had so much love and my friend there is the last link to my childhood friends. BREAD AND PUPPET.

Quote:
tig:I'd like to add, that I don't think it's right for someone to come and post negative opinions on a forum that's here to help educate and help people to over come this disease. If someone is on the right path to recovery, and doing what works for them, then as long as they aren't abusing theses things which are helping them, why would someone want to try and tell them that what they are doing is just trading one addiction for another? Just kinda upsetting to me anyways

But you see that's why this community is the way it is, to not be afraid to say what you want, whatever the outcome may be, it upsets a lot of people, but in the end game it all gets worked out, don't let it upset you, say what you want to say, there is so much love and compassion on this forum, something you won't find anywhere else TIG. Don't let it bother you OK?

Last edited by DARKEYES; 11-10-2010 at 08:00 AM..
DARKEYES is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2010, 08:36 AM   #34
MissSurvivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by wai View Post
I've been thinking about this. It's interesting to hear this coming from someone on sub.

I don't think this person is on Sub.. bonita resulted to going to ibogaine (which is illegal in the US) to detox off of Suboxone.
Unread 11-10-2010, 08:39 AM   #35
DARKEYES

Quote:
I don't think this person is on Sub.. bonita resulted to going to ibogaine (which is illegal in the US) to detox off of Suboxone.
What is Ibogane? Why is it illegal in the US
Unread 11-10-2010, 09:03 AM   #36
NancyB
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DARKEYES View Post
What is Ibogane? Why is it illegal in the US
Hi darkeyes, here's an older thread about it.

http://www.addictionsurvivors.org/vb...ad.php?t=24470

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to NancyB For This Useful Post:
Thank You (11-10-2010)
Unread 11-10-2010, 09:15 AM   #37
DARKEYES

Wow, Nancy that sounds horrible. And one person had a friend that died from this stuff too. I've been reading tapering stories, it can be done with a minimal am out of w/d or none at all. My brain was already fried from my doc, I sure would NOT try Ibogane. Thanks for the information.
Unread 11-10-2010, 11:46 AM   #38
MissSurvivor

Like always, when this happens (a person who is mad about their Sub experience because they probably didn't do what they were supposed to do [tools of recovery]) we should just ignore them. It's unfortunate we cannot change their mind or give them education on the truths of Suboxone being a tool and recovering from our disease. Anxiety is an issue when it becomes severe.

Darkeyes, you are such an amazing person and I sincerely enjoy reading your posts. We haven't heard from a lot of good members lately. Want2bfree, Julnjer, JDK, Newmom, etc. If you and jackie were to disappear (and many others) I wouldn't enjoy this forum as much. The good thing is - is that these negative people won't change our views on our recovery. The only thing these situations can do is make us feel bad for them.

Ibogaine does sound horrible and outrageous. If it worked for some, that's alright I guess? As long as people are addiction free that's all that matters.. it just shows the lengths people will go to achieve it. I certainly wouldn't try that out. Tons of people have done it with hard work and dedication. Not a reset button. I think the hard work pays off more, IMO.
Thank You (11-10-2010)
Unread 11-10-2010, 03:54 PM   #39
tlg

Willard~
I hope you are doing well now and not having anymore issues with the anxiety! I hope you're able to help find things to make the attacks better when you have them. Please keep us updated with ur progress! take care!

DARKEYES~
Thanks, and I understand what you're saying. We are all entitled to our own opinion, and freedom of speech. When I say it's upsetting, I was basically upset that there are people telling newer members that by taking benzo's it's baciacally just being addicted to something else.

I have read a little further into where this person is coming from...and I'd like to add, Bonita, I am very happy that you found the path that worked for you and that you are now living a great life without drugs. I don't know enough about the treatment you used to say much else. But if it worked and people have overcome their active addiction and are continuing to live a happy and healthy life, then more power to you.

On the other had, that treatment is not available in the US and therefore not an option for many of us here and for 2, not everyone would want to chose that treatment option even if it was. Many people have changed and saved their lives with using Sub, and I think that's a great thing to be able to say. As Miss Survivor said, once someone has had a bad expierence, with any treatment option really, then they will let others who are currently using that treatment know all about it and talk down about the treatment. If something doesn't work for someone, then it's understandable that they may want to share their negative experience with others, which I don't think is wrong. What I don't agree with is when people are trying to say that a treatment in which has worked for many for a long time now and didn't happen to work for them, is not real treatment and that you're just druging your way thru life.

Trina

Thank You (11-10-2010), Thank You (11-11-2010)
Unread 11-11-2010, 12:25 PM   #40
Mary

Quote:

Ok, bonita, answer me this then. Do you paint? Put whipped cream on your cake, eat cake, or just plain eat? How about cough syrup, like, say robitussin, do you buy lottery tickets, go to a casino, have sex?

If you do, then WHY???? OMG!! OMG!! You better stop! Look at all that addictive shit you're doing! Jesus woman! You could end up being a huffer if you paint or have whipped cream. Jesus, a gambling addict or sex addict, or food addict! Shit, if you smoke or drink coffee you better watch out too. You better check yourself into rehab. Or better yet, maybe Ibo-zap your brain so you're a zombie and don't do anything!

Do you get it yet?? It's NOT the substance. It's the BEHAVIOR. Like they say it's that uncontrollable compulsive behavior despite negative consequences that ****s you in the end. Is everyone who takes a painpill addicted? Is everyone who eats a food addict? Is it sinking through yet?

Maybe you ought watch this and learn something.
http://www.hbo.com/addiction/underst...addiction.html

"Addiction is a chronic, but treatable, brain disorder. People who are addicted cannot control their need for alcohol or other drugs, even in the face of negative health, social or legal consequences. This lack of control is the result of alcohol- or drug-induced changes in the brain. Those changes, in turn, cause behavior changes."

Oh, wait. Dr. Volkow and NIDA and scientists must all be on drugs since they don't agree with bonita...

Over and out. -Mary
Thank You (11-11-2010), Thank You (11-11-2010), Thank You (11-19-2010), Thank You (11-12-2010), Thank You (11-11-2010), Thank You (11-11-2010), Thank You (11-11-2010), Thank You (11-11-2010)
Unread 11-11-2010, 03:10 PM   #41
mlk_2900

Quote:
Originally Posted by jules13 View Post
hi willard, i have hd severe panic attacks , just recently my reg doc put me on wellibutrin and after a week it was bad had a bad panic attack my bp was thru the roof i do have to take clonipin as a as i need basis (only 2-3 times per month. i know how they feel like and its aweful i hope yours get better with time good luckjules
Don't mean to hijack this thread but was wondering if you still are taking the wellbutrin and if so have your panic attacks continued? My doctor put me on wellbutrin a couple days ago and last night I had a terrible panic attack that I believe was caused by the wellbutrin. Thankfully I am prescribed xanax on a as needed basis so I took a half one and after awhile things settled down. I have a call in to my doctor as I am scared to death to take anymore of the wellbutrin.
mlk_2900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2010, 03:20 PM   #42
tlg

mlk~
Just wanted to let you know, when my partner first started on her Wellbutrin, she was having some anxiety, and noticed she was clentching her teeth a lot at first. She has been on it for a while, I believer they took her off first and she got worse with her depression, so then they just lowered her dose and now she takes buspbar as needed if she starts to feel like that. And I wanted to make a correction from chat the other night...she is actually on Prozac and Wellbutrin now, not Celexa and Wellbutrin. If you'd feel better, you can call ur pharmacist and talk to them about it, or even Walgreens.com has a chat where you can speak with pharmacist online. Good luck!
Trina
Unread 11-11-2010, 03:59 PM   #43
theswan

Very Funny Mary

What gets my goat is that AA/NA has a slogan oft repeated "Live and let live" To those who judge, try and practice this. My road on suboxone was helped along by 98% of the people here. The 2% were pure black and white thinkers. A drug is a drug is a drug mentality is pure hogwash! Sub was a true gift for me. I stayed on long enough to be free of major WD symptoms, when I decided I was on it long enough: I started a slow taper. I'm now off sub since August 4th with no WD's save for one sleepless night and minor twitchs.

I now take Wellbutrin and will not stand for a person telling me it's not a good thing. Yes we'd all like to be 100% off all drugs but that is an ideal that is just not happinging. So instead of saying "Well I wouln'nt do this or that" keep it to yourself.
By stating your "Pristine" sobriety what in effect you do is belittle others.

In other words, if you can keep it helpful and positive, state all you want. If it is to say I would not do that etc, then really why say what you do not do?

By the way, I love whipped cream and suck the damm can dry! Whoops!

LOL

Glen
theswan is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Say Thank You to theswan For This Useful Post:
Thank You (11-11-2010), Thank You (11-12-2010)