Addiction Survivors

Notices

Reply
Unread 06-08-2010, 07:56 PM   #1
Buddah1111
Junior Member
 
Buddah1111's Avatar
 
Posts: 13
Default Can't keep my eyes open (. .)

I am going on my third month taking Suboxone. Started off taking 2-8mg a day and have been able to get down to less than 1-8mg a day. But I am flat out exhausted. Not able to sleep solid at night. But when I wake up I feel good.
The last couple of days have been terrible. I pick up a book to read and I fall asleep for an hour. Wake up and get on the computer for awhile then right back to nodding off.
Is this still part of the PAWS? I am not working at present, but I cannot imagine having a job and falling asleep at my desk.
I have been taking vitamins and my diet is good lots of fruit and veggies.
I have been working out (yoga, running and walking) but these last couple of days have been hell. Well not really it is like nodding off on my favorite drug.
Anyone have this problem?
Buddah1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2010, 08:04 PM   #2
NancyB
Administrator
 
Posts: 25,466
Default

Hi Buddah1111, what time do you take your Suboxone? For some people, if they take it noon or after then they don't sleep well. And if you're not sleeping well, then you'd be really tired during the day.

Or, that has happened to some people as a signal as it might be time for a dose reduction.

There's two possibilities, does either seem like it?

Nancy
__________________
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2010, 08:23 PM   #3
Buddah1111
Junior Member
 
Buddah1111's Avatar
 
Posts: 13
Default

Hi Nancy,
I take 6mg at about 5 a.m. then go back to sleep til about 8a. I feel great when I do get up. But not long after that I am back snoozing. This is new just in the past 2 days.
What do you think? should I take it before bed?
Buddah1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2010, 08:29 PM   #4
NancyB
Administrator
 
Posts: 25,466
Default

Hi again, you know, maybe give that a try. There have been people who actually have to take it before bedtime because it helps them sleep when they should be instead of in the middle of the day. lol

See how that works. I hope it does. Let us know.

Nancy
__________________
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2010, 08:37 PM   #5
Buddah1111
Junior Member
 
Buddah1111's Avatar
 
Posts: 13
Default

Oh one other thing. I am still getting Benzos out of my system. It has been going on 3mos now since I have had them. Do you think that they could be causing the "sleep attacks?"
Thanks
Buddah
Buddah1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2010, 11:42 PM   #6
arkrivera
Junior Member
 
Posts: 3
Default

i am new to subx and at first it made me really hyper but now i am just sleepy all of the time. i tried a 2mg in morning, 4 in morning , one 8mgs in afternoon im fine if im doing somethin but as soon as i stop or sit down i get sleepy. also starting to expierence audio halucinations
arkrivera is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2010, 06:13 AM   #7
NancyB
Administrator
 
Posts: 25,466
Default

Hi arkrivera, welcome. How much total are you taking now? How long have you been taking it?

Nancy
__________________
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2010, 10:24 AM   #8
Jbro
Junior Member
 
Posts: 4
Exclamation zzz zzz zzz

It made me sleepy alot, if I were updoing something it seemed fine but if I sat down for a minute or got behind the wheel I would literaly have to fight within myself to stay awake...It got to a point where it was dangerous for me to drive even after 1/4 of a 2mg tablet....
Jbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2010, 12:07 PM   #9
LKB1956
Senior Member
 
LKB1956's Avatar
 
Posts: 281
Default

Jbro, It would be much easier for you if you stay on the same dosage everyday and frankly every hour if you are not dosing once a day which they advise if you arnt taking it for pain control, like myself. I totally understand where you are coming from, and a reduction might be in order. But let Nancy or Tim advise you on that or better yet your Dr., anyway, congratulations in putting your disease in remission and wish you the Best luck ever......keep up the good work Jbro............Linda
__________________
One day at a time, Linda
LKB1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2010, 05:04 AM   #10
JamesContin
Member
 
Posts: 41
Default

buddah you and I are guinea pigs for the US government. We are the first round of people to use buprenorphine here in the US. Results of what the drug does to you long term are totally unknown. We are the test subjects.

Everyone I know who has been on Bup for a long time suffers from exhaustion. Nothing can be done about it until you get off, and good luck with that if you have been on it for a long time. I myself cannot get below 8mg. Since I started subutex 5 years ago (I am 33), I have developed more health problems than I ever had in my 27 years previous.

I want off so bad but when I try to step down to 6mg, moderate withdrawal symptoms kick in and they do not go away. No matter how much time I give it.
JamesContin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2010, 08:52 AM   #11
toms
Senior Member
 
toms's Avatar
 
Posts: 880
Default

Those are sweeping statements that aren't true. I was on bupe three years and never experienced any exhaustion....and I have never known anyone who did.
__________________
Tom S.
toms is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2010, 07:22 PM   #12
Sam Bailey
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1,630
Default

Hello Mr. Contin,

As Toms noted, you've made several extraordinary claims that are just not true. OK, sure, maybe YOU are constantly exhausted, and I believe that you probably are having a heck of a hard time tapering down.

As far as being a government lab rat, well---excuse me if I think that's a pile of rubbish.

Subutex/Suboxone has helped change a lot of lives.

Mine, for example.

I'm no longer using Sub as one of the tools in my program of recovery because...I'm no longer addicted to/dependent on opiates. Any opiate.

I DID not have a particularly difficult time tapering down, then off my Sub doses. I did, however, take a long, slow period of time to do it.

Moreover, when I was using Sub, I had no, as in none, problems with fatigue. In fact, as part of my overall recovery program, I was running 5-7 (sometimes 10) miles a day, 6 days a week.

Sub was a wonderful medical tool that helped me to crawl out of a very dark place. Man, I was lost.

Now I'm not.

Now, having left dope behind, I have a real and actual chance to be the best I can be.

Now I can live...again.

best,

sam b
Sam Bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
5 Users Say Thank You to Sam Bailey For This Useful Post:
Thank You (11-19-2010), Thank You (11-20-2010), Thank You (11-20-2010), Thank You (11-20-2010), Thank You (12-02-2010)
Unread 11-20-2010, 12:50 AM   #13
OhioMike
Senior Member
 
Posts: 11,335
Default

Tom & Sam, as we have seen in the past, it is always easier to push blame, rather than accept personal responsibility, learning to rationally & responsibly problem solve!
__________________
As you think, so shall it be!
OhioMike is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Say Thank You to OhioMike For This Useful Post:
Thank You (11-20-2010), Thank You (11-20-2010)
Unread 11-20-2010, 02:22 PM   #14
toms
Senior Member
 
toms's Avatar
 
Posts: 880
Default

Exactly correct, Mike! I have a hard time ignoring posts that spout BS as though it is fact. My years on methadone make that even tougher.....there is SO much garbage posted hither and yon about the net!
__________________
Tom S.
toms is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2010, 05:34 PM   #15
tlg
Senior Member
 
tlg's Avatar
 
Posts: 455
Default

JamesContin~
I am sorry you're having such a hard time, but Sub has as you see helped all of us so much more. There are some people who do have such a hard time, and often when that's the case, there's still some things that need to be worked on. I don't know your story, so I can't say too much about the way you feel and why. We are by no means lab rats nor does it make EVERYONE exhausted...I myself have had more energy then I have had in a long time, and I am finally clear minded to enjoy it and use it for good times! Maybe you should look more into why you're having such problems before you just blame it the Sub all together! Hope you figure it out!

Anyone other new people who come by and see this post...everyone is different! If you look around this site some more, you will see just how many people have had such great results with using Sub!
Trina
__________________
We can't change the past, we can only make the future better!
tlg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2010, 05:41 PM   #16
NancyB
Administrator
 
Posts: 25,466
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesContin View Post
buddah you and I are guinea pigs for the US government. We are the first round of people to use buprenorphine here in the US. Results of what the drug does to you long term are totally unknown. We are the test subjects.

Everyone I know who has been on Bup for a long time suffers from exhaustion. Nothing can be done about it until you get off, and good luck with that if you have been on it for a long time. I myself cannot get below 8mg. Since I started subutex 5 years ago (I am 33), I have developed more health problems than I ever had in my 27 years previous.

I want off so bad but when I try to step down to 6mg, moderate withdrawal symptoms kick in and they do not go away. No matter how much time I give it.

Hi James, have you stopped snorting the medication and entered into a real program of recovery - therapy, peer support, behavior modification to stop addictive behavior and make life changes?

http://addictionsurvivors.org/vbulle...7&postcount=43

Until you start using the medication as prescribed and do things other than just take the medication, nothing is going to change.

Hopefully one day you will want to make those changes and your life should improve.

Best wishes.

Nancy
__________________
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to NancyB For This Useful Post:
Thank You (11-21-2010)
Unread 11-20-2010, 07:38 PM   #17
tlg
Senior Member
 
tlg's Avatar
 
Posts: 455
Default

Thanks for clearing that up Nancy!

It's sad when people are in such denial while still in addiction. It just goes to show that this medication alone (when taken as prescribed) will not put your active addiction into remission. I am so glad that this medication has saved my life and helped with my pain! Without it, I would not be able to share these beautiful years with my little girl and my loving partner! I only wish that others could find the strength I have to over come that addiction and get their life back as well! I pray that they will come to realize there is hope out there before it's too late!

Thanks again Nancy!
Trina
__________________
We can't change the past, we can only make the future better!
tlg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2010, 08:43 PM   #18
AbbyNormal
Senior Member
 
AbbyNormal's Avatar
 
Posts: 278
Default

I've been on Sub for six months and have experienced feeling dog tired during the day. Started with 24 mgs and am now at 16. At least I know mine is not an isolated case.

We'll see if it goes away when I taper down.

Tom
__________________

AbbyNormal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2010, 08:50 AM   #19
toms
Senior Member
 
toms's Avatar
 
Posts: 880
Default

Have you talked to your doc about the tiredness? There could be a variety of reasons for it that have nothing to do with suboxone. Are you sleeping at night?
__________________
Tom S.
toms is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2010, 01:05 PM   #20
AbbyNormal
Senior Member
 
AbbyNormal's Avatar
 
Posts: 278
Default

On my next doctors visit I will be due for blood work, etc. I'll let them know about it then and also ask if others experience the same symptoms.

As long as I'm busy I don't feel it, but if I relax a wave of exhaustion comes over me. And no, no problems getting enough sleep. And considering this has never happened before, my guess is it's just a Sub side effect.

I'll know more in a week or two.

Tom
__________________

AbbyNormal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2010, 08:32 PM   #21
tlg
Senior Member
 
tlg's Avatar
 
Posts: 455
Default

A lot of people are pretty quick to point a finger at the Sub and possible "side effects" it is causing...like in this post. I am not saying that what you're feeling isn't a side effect, it may very well be BUT we tend to forget that, before we started on the Suboxone, we were in our active addiction, and therefore not ourself! So we don't really have much to compare it to cause when we say "I never felt it before" or things along those lines, we have to remember that we were self medicating to get away from whatever it was we were trying to get away from...so what really do we have to compare those feelings to? Not to mention that all of those things we put in our body has most likely played a toll on us in one way or another! I currently have a lot going on, and my depression is a little out of whack, and so while I'm tired, I am also sick and have a lot of other things causing me to be so exhausted!

Just wanted to add that. There are a lot of us who are, for the first time in many many years, feeling what it is to really be "alive" and we are now figuring out that many of us had other underlying conditions i.e. depression, anxiety, insomnia, ect. Just a little something to think about!
Thanks,
Trina
__________________
We can't change the past, we can only make the future better!
tlg is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to tlg For This Useful Post:
Thank You (11-21-2010)
Unread 12-01-2010, 02:37 AM   #22
sws1967
Member
 
Posts: 32
Default

I occasionally get that nod also - after sitting at a computer for 4 hours straight, and if I'm honest, the same thing happened when I was sober, so I would look for reasons beyond the medication.

I take 24mgs of sub a day (I'm still within my first month) and 3mgs of xanax - I'm alert and active to the point of being hyper, which is a relatively natural state for me. I've started working out again, and today was able to take my old mountain bike ride!

I've never slept this well in my life and I generally feel normal and great - everything I was originally planning on saying in response to "...Contin" was handled by the well-worded posts above, so just thought I'd share my experience so far.

In my next appointment, I may start to taper down - my goal is to reach a dose level where the sub is functioning as an anti-depressant for the most part - but considering the energy level I have, the serious increase in sleep quality and the fact that I can mountain bike on this med (ever try mountain biking after 200mgs of oxycodone and 10 beers!? Of course not....it will be a tough mix (equation) to work out - the risk of a lower dose and relapse vs. the benefit of taking less medication...

Anyway, Government guinea pigs?! LOL....and what's the alternative? I'm pretty sure my previously mentioned habit would have killed me much sooner than any "long-term" effect that sub may impose.

For people who get sleepy, or feel the sudden nods - this does occur with me, but lasts for only short periods and I have found it to be related in some way to sugar and coffee. I notice that it almost always coincides with Coffee (about 20 mintues after drinking a cup) and chocolate. I would look into diet and excercise modifications...and occasionally maybe you just really do need to shut your eyes and rest for a bit? (It's hard to remember for some of us that these things also naturally occurred when we were sober....I've gone for such long periods without being sober that I forget that the body has it's own natural limitations - limitations that I ignore or don't feel when I'm using).

Good Luck! I can now go to sleep knowing I didn't lie, and every day my brain is coming back into balance...

-S
sws1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Users Say Thank You to sws1967 For This Useful Post:
Thank You (12-01-2010), Thank You (12-01-2010), Thank You (12-11-2010)
Unread 12-01-2010, 07:02 PM   #23
wai
Junior Member
 
Posts: 15
Default

Wow! This one got a little crazy eh
wai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2010, 09:41 PM   #24
TIPSY
Junior Member
 
Posts: 13
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddah1111 View Post
I am going on my third month taking Suboxone. Started off taking 2-8mg a day and have been able to get down to less than 1-8mg a day. But I am flat out exhausted. Not able to sleep solid at night. But when I wake up I feel good.
The last couple of days have been terrible. I pick up a book to read and I fall asleep for an hour. Wake up and get on the computer for awhile then right back to nodding off.
Is this still part of the PAWS? I am not working at present, but I cannot imagine having a job and falling asleep at my desk.
I have been taking vitamins and my diet is good lots of fruit and veggies.
I have been working out (yoga, running and walking) but these last couple of days have been hell. Well not really it is like nodding off on my favorite drug.
Anyone have this problem?

In my experience with sub that means you are taking too much or might have JUST switched the dose so your body is adjusting to it.
TIPSY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2010, 07:05 AM   #25
blootick
Junior Member
 
blootick's Avatar
 
Posts: 1
Default

I am experiencing this as i type this, i took my daily dose of Methadone 70 mg 2.5 hours ago and it keeps making me sleepy no matter how much coffee i drink.What grinds my gears is that it gave me energy and lots of it. My sleep habit has changed severely since i have been out of work,i suppose that is what has changed it.
blootick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2011, 12:20 AM   #26
proman
Junior Member
 
Posts: 1
Default it's the coffee and sugar I have the same problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by sws1967 View Post
I occasionally get that nod also - after sitting at a computer for 4 hours straight, and if I'm honest, the same thing happened when I was sober, so I would look for reasons beyond the medication.

I take 24mgs of sub a day (I'm still within my first month) and 3mgs of xanax - I'm alert and active to the point of being hyper, which is a relatively natural state for me. I've started working out again, and today was able to take my old mountain bike ride!

I've never slept this well in my life and I generally feel normal and great - everything I was originally planning on saying in response to "...Contin" was handled by the well-worded posts above, so just thought I'd share my experience so far.

In my next appointment, I may start to taper down - my goal is to reach a dose level where the sub is functioning as an anti-depressant for the most part - but considering the energy level I have, the serious increase in sleep quality and the fact that I can mountain bike on this med (ever try mountain biking after 200mgs of oxycodone and 10 beers!? Of course not....it will be a tough mix (equation) to work out - the risk of a lower dose and relapse vs. the benefit of taking less medication...

Anyway, Government guinea pigs?! LOL....and what's the alternative? I'm pretty sure my previously mentioned habit would have killed me much sooner than any "long-term" effect that sub may impose.

For people who get sleepy, or feel the sudden nods - this does occur with me, but lasts for only short periods and I have found it to be related in some way to sugar and coffee. I notice that it almost always coincides with Coffee (about 20 mintues after drinking a cup) and chocolate. I would look into diet and excercise modifications...and occasionally maybe you just really do need to shut your eyes and rest for a bit? (It's hard to remember for some of us that these things also naturally occurred when we were sober....I've gone for such long periods without being sober that I forget that the body has it's own natural limitations - limitations that I ignore or don't feel when I'm using).

Good Luck! I can now go to sleep knowing I didn't lie, and every day my brain is coming back into balance...

-S
That is what I think to cause I have to some times really fight the nod and noticed it was when I had coffee. Thanks
proman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:49 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2014 Addiction Survivors