Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 04-24-2010, 09:10 PM   #1
OhioMike

Talking These Darn Side Effects!

The following is merely my opinion and some times, well like I said before, the old gut over flows and it just rambles out.

This time it is side effects, to be exact, Suboxone Side Effects or the presumption of!

I am a bit of a cynic in regard to this subject and honestly, a bit sarcastic on the subject, in a sick humorous sort of way.

Frankly I wish I had a buck for every presumed side effect I have heard of over the past five years! lol

So anyway ......... Yes, yes, there are side effects unique to Suboxone! there are some very common ones which most of us experience, like constipation (maybe that's my problem right now) and sweats and/or hot flashes. oh and lets not forget those wild and crazy dreams. God I miss those.

Then there are the not so common ones which a few of us can experience which might totally be attributed to Suboxone or may not always be, like limb twitches or some swelling.

Now, now, I am merely offering a couple examples of both, I am not trying to state the above listed are the only ones.

Ah, then we come to all of the other side effects, the presumed ones. The ones which seem to crawl out of the wood work, they freak us out and they cover every conceivable human ailment under the sun! oh Come on now, you know the ones I'm speaking, for God's sake, just read a few pages of threads! lol

OK, yes I'm being a smart-ass and no, no, I am not making fun of anyone (including myself) when they are not feeling well. I know when these things pop up, they are real, they are frustrating and they can make us feel like real crap at times. BUT dear Lord, lets un-bunch our panties and get a freaking handle on reality here. Suboxone cannot cause every part of our bodies to freak out!

Sadly this disease as we know is a thinking and feeling deal, more so than biological. So when we make that transition from our drug of choice, on to a true recovery medication, when we take that step from active addiction into the early process of recovery, as our body experiences many changes, as many things are unmasked biologically, well frankly our minds and emotions freak out as well.

So every little thing we feel is multiplied. Ailments which we might have had brewing for a while, but, were unaware of because we are so numb to everything not only pop up, but, they are exaggerated. Further, because we are freaking out, our emotions are running wild and our stress levels high, even the most simple of issues are multiplied. So we rationalize it the simplest way we can, Suboxone is the new chemical introduced into our system so it just has to be the culprit. OMG what have I done to myself now? I knew it, I just knew, I would be the only person which Suboxone would not work for! and so it goes ........

Yes, yes, I am being a smart-ass again, BUT, tell me now, am I wrong? Really? You think so? ahuh, Go read the threads, go sit in your doctors waiting room for a couple of days! lol

The problem is this, when we let our emotions and mental ability to rationalize and problem solve get taken so far out of bounds, we can set ourselves up for some real problems. First, we are not doing anything productive to solve the symptoms and/or ailments. Secondly, we could be blaming suboxone for something which is more serious, instead of seeking proper care for it and finally, we could be setting the stage to really screw up our recovery!

Yes I know, I have been there, this is all easier said than done. Controlling our emotions, dealing with early recovery, putting up with these new physical and mental challenges. Well what, so its hard, did you think just because your now doing the right thing for yourself and working at recovery and because you have this new wonder drug Suboxone, all of a sudden life becomes a bed of roses? LOL ........ ahuh, well I kind of did and yeah, I got fooled too!

Folks we have a choice, we can freak out, piss and moan and go on and on ranting and raving or we can get our butts in gear and learn to problem solve. And YES, early in recovery that can be tough to do, but, we need to do it. We need to get to the facts of science, we need to get into our own health history and we need to learn about the problems living in active addiction can cause us biologically when we stop that cycle and begin recovery!

We must become rational and responsible, nearly over night. We must clamp down on our emotional flurries and keep ourselves grounded. The sooner we can do this and the better we can do this, the sooner we will feel better, the sooner we can solve those problems and the more productive our recovery will be!

Yes, yes, I know this is all smug, sarcastic and not funny at all.

But ...........

I feel much better now, how about you? ...........

oh and one finale thought .........

We also have to remember that we have been numbing ourselves, and for some it's been years. And we're older and have normal aches and pains from being older. Suboxone isn't the fountain of youth that brings people back to pre-addiction age. Though I had that dream once too!

Well fire away!

Mike

The Bible Thump'en, Gun Totting, Capitalist Pig ..... American!

Last edited by OhioMike; 04-24-2010 at 09:19 PM..
OhioMike is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Users Say Thank You to OhioMike For This Useful Post:
Thank You (05-01-2010), Thank You (04-25-2010), Thank You (04-25-2010)
Unread 04-24-2010, 09:16 PM   #2
emrysmom

Even if no one else will, I will have a chuckle with you. I too have a sarcastic sense of humor but I can laugh because I have been/am there. Sometimes it's good to be able to laugh at ourselves it reminds us we are human.
emrysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2010, 08:37 AM   #3
deanna

Hey Mike.......all I have to say once again is a BIG AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Unread 04-25-2010, 06:49 PM   #4
jenealle

I think it is funny....and dead on target!!!..I appreciate you saying it like it is...I too am, shall we say outspoken,and sometimes people do not like it, but we all need to hear things that maybe we don't want to ......Thanks
Unread 04-25-2010, 09:51 PM   #5
LKB1956

I find humor in everything.....especially you OMike lol I think that this laughter I am laughing is a side effect to Suboxone. Should I lower my dose.lol lol Hope you are feeling better! Linda
Unread 04-25-2010, 10:45 PM   #6
happytobehere

Thanks, Mike, for keepin' things in perspective. It helps the constipation ... sort of Seriously, thanks!
happytobehere is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2010, 03:30 PM   #7
mom_of_2

Again, another great post and something to think about. Lisa

Maybe the hearburn I have been experiencing is because of suboxone? Or maybe it was the spicy food I had last night, lol?
mom_of_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2010, 10:22 PM   #8
Buddah1111

Default These Darn Side Effects

Thanks Mike,
This is my first posting on this forum. But I was getting to the point where I had to finally put my concerns down in writing. You hit on EVERYTHING! God Bless You.
I do have a question. I am withdrawing off of Ativan also. And I find myself in some pretty severe panic attacks. I do have a little Valium that I had put aside and take 5mg when I feel like I am going to come out of my skin. Has anyone had that problem? Also my hands are going to sleep at night. This is new. Anyone know about this one?

Buddah1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2010, 05:57 AM   #9
NancyB
Administrator

Hi Buddah1111, did you taper off of the Ativan? This site is a good one for benzos that might be helpful:
http://www.benzo.org.uk/

Just be careful, because benzo withdrawal can be life threatening.

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2010, 10:19 AM   #10
toms

Welcome, Buddah! Be *very* careful with the benzos. Please tell us that the doc prescribing your suboxone knows you are taking them! If not, tell them (now). Also, I understand your desire to get off everything now, but take things slowly. Trying to do too much, too soon, is a recipe for failure.
Unread 05-02-2010, 06:45 PM   #11
cferd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddah1111 View Post
I do have a question. I am withdrawing off of Ativan also. And I find myself in some pretty severe panic attacks. I do have a little Valium that I had put aside and take 5mg when I feel like I am going to come out of my skin. Has anyone had that problem? Also my hands are going to sleep at night. This is new. Anyone know about this one?
Hey Buddah, I'm tapering off of Ativan as well. How much are you taking and how much have you reduced would help explain the panic attacks. The Valium you have won't work very quickly for the panc attacks due to it's very slow action, although it'll last a long time with such an enormous half life. If you find it provides instant relief than it's likely the placebo effect, which is fine if it works for you. How you space apart your doses could enable you to do better without the valium. The hands going numb is a common wd symptom that I've experienced as well. Hope you'll start a new thread I think we could learn quite a bit from eachothers' and anyone else's experiences. The forum Nancy is reffering to has the most accurate info about benzo wd, IMO unfortunately some of the posts are really negative. Take what you need from it, leave the rest. The are some posts there that are in no way hepful. Like Toms suggested, be careful and take it slow.
cferd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2010, 07:27 PM   #12
Buddah1111

Thank you Nancy and Toms. Yes, my Dr and I have had the discussion regarding Benzos and Opiates. I started on Suboxone about 4 years ago. At that time it was just starting to become popular in the U.S. after studies and trial runs in the U.K.
My opiate Dr was trying to get all his patients on Suboxone. At that time he started me on 8mg subs and 2mg clonozopam. I had been taking approx.30 Lortabs daily.
He was very determined to get me weaned quickly off the subs.
I (in my ingnorance) followed his direction, weaned myself down to 2mg sub over less than 6mos. always still taking the 2mg clonozopam. He calling me weak because I couldn't get off the subs.
I finally did stop both at once. Under his direction. It was a nightmare, to say the least. I had a physical job at the time and I thought I was going to come out of my skin. It was not until now that I firmly believe that the worst part of that withdrawal was kicking the benzos, not the 2mg of suboxone. And less than 1 month later I was taking opiates again and then right back with the benzos.
Now that I am back on Suboxone, my NEW Dr. has told me that benzos are deadly with subs. I have begun reading a lot about the long term ramifications of benzos and I feel that they are far worse than any opiate. I am doing what I can to not take benzos, but when I feel like I am going to come out of skin, I will take 5mg of Valium. I have started back to my Yoga routine and running to get my endorphine levels up. I am fighting this horrid addiction with all that I have.
I have been reading this Forum and getting a lot of help knowing that other people are going through this with me. I also am learning more than I ever knew before and am very thankful for all the senior and junior members who share their pain and their accomplishments.
I truly believe that if I had the proper guidance and a Dr who knew what he was doing the first time, I would not have relapsed and I would not be starting over again. I find that prayer helps a lot also. Thank you again for all of your shared knowledge and one day, I hope that I too will be able to think clearly and be able to face the world without the help of any drug.
Buddah1111 is offline   Reply With Quote