Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 01-21-2010, 10:18 PM   #1
hairgirl

Default Paging Dr. Parker

I wanted to start a separate post because I did not want to take away from tara's. I read your response to her about dumping and protein supplements after GBS.

I underwent RNY-GB in march of 2003 and had lost over 250 pounds. After going on Suboxone at Cymbalta simultaneously in 2007, I re-gained about 45-50 lbs.- I recently tapered off the anti-depressant (December)and have lost a few pounds already and got my energy back.Many people blamed the Suboxone, but I feel more like myself (less tired and more happy)now than I did with the Cymbalta.
I do have iron deficiency/ anemia brought on from the GBS.It is a small price to pay for how much my life improved.This is a number one reason why vitamin supplements are crucial.
Without Suboxone as a tool in my recovery, I do not think I would have been able to learn how to control my compulsions. Everything I ever abused (food, sex,opiates) was done so because I was trying to overcompensate for everything good my life was lacking.As a matter of fact, I feel it may have helped my concentration and focus in my studies. I really think I had some brain issues before addiction ever existed-mental illness runs in my family, my mom never had testing but trust me when I tell you she was a wreck,mentally. I think I was pre-disposed for addiction. Being on Suboxone makes me feel better than any of the anti-depressants,mood stabilizers and not just in a general "mood" sense. I wish it was available long ago before I ever touched drugs because somehow I think it supplies my brain with what it naturally has always lacked.Is that possible? If so, explain how please.
Unread 01-22-2010, 12:34 AM   #2
Michael R. Parker, M.D.

Default "Opioid Deficient?"

Hi Hairgirl,

In my experience Opioid Dependent patients often gain some weight when they start Suboxone. I believe that is largely due to the fact that they have stopped using full opioid agonists which often significantly supress their appetite. In other words when they stop abusing opioids their appetite increases.

Several memebers have written interesting posts regarding a theory regarding "Opioid Deficiency" as a possible cause of depression. The idea is that some people have depression that is caused by a deficiency or "need" for Opioids rather than the more commonly accepted theory of deficiencyies of Serotonin and other neurotransmitters. I am undecided regarding the theory. However I can tell you that I have had many Suboxone patients who reported a response similar to yours, to Suboxone after failing numerous "conventional" anti-depressants. They have said thing like "I feel better on Suboxone than I ever did on any of the antidepressants that have been prescribed." The opioid-deficient theory makes some sense for some people, but I suspect it is a minority of depressed patients that will have better long term outcomes on Suboxone compared to conventional anti-depressants.

Your comment "Without Suboxone as a tool in my recovery, I do not think I would have been able to learn how to control my compulsions. Everything I ever abused (food, sex,opiates) was done so because I was trying to overcompensate for everything good my life was lacking." is interesting. But, I would suggest to you that it was not the Suboxone that taught you how to control your compulsions, but rather your inner strength and the support systems you incorporated into your recovery. As you proved to yourself your ability to abstain from Opioids you became empowered to manage your other compulsions.

I would suggest adding protein supplements and exercise to you long term management.

Hopefully someone else can point you in the direction of the previously written posts that discuss the "opioid deficient" throry of depression.

Keep up the hard work.
Michael R. Parker, M.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
5 Users Say Thank You to Michael R. Parker, M.D. For This Useful Post:
Thank You (01-22-2010), Thank You (01-22-2010), Thank You (01-22-2010), Thank You (01-22-2010), Thank You (01-22-2010)
Unread 01-22-2010, 07:27 AM   #3
NancyB
Administrator

Hi Dr. Parker, here are a couple of threads, would either be the one you're referring to?

http://www.addictionsurvivors.org/vb...ad.php?t=12724

http://www.addictionsurvivors.org/vb...ad.php?t=12670

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to NancyB For This Useful Post:
Thank You (01-23-2010)
Unread 01-22-2010, 08:11 AM   #4
deanna

Wow Hairgirl!!! Congratulations to you for losing 250lbs!!! That is such a great accomplishment. I find this thread really interesting too, I hope you find the answers you are looking for. Best wishes, Deanna
Unread 01-22-2010, 09:31 AM   #5
hairgirl

Quote:
But, I would suggest to you that it was not the Suboxone that taught you how to control your compulsions, but rather your inner strength and the support systems you incorporated into your recovery. As you proved to yourself your ability to abstain from Opioids you became empowered to manage your other compulsions.
I agree with your statement. What I meant was that Suboxone provided the glue for me creating my ability to abstain, the ideas of change to stick to my brain. Silly way to put it, but the easiest way to explain.

We also adopted a dog and I had my husband drive a mile from our house (used the odometer) so I could walk that distance daily with my pup. I am the type of person that needs an extra push to stick to an exercise plan and my dog helps motivate me to do it.

Thanks for the response.I plan on researching the lack of opioid theory through my school library links. I am sure somewhere there are some medical journal articles on the subject.

And thanks Deanna.Losing that weight was such a profound change for me.People without weight problems could not begin to understand how different life is inside a 460 pound body.Hell, I never had a man ask me out on a date til after the procedure, it was like growing up at the age of 30. What a crazy life!
Unread 01-23-2010, 12:08 AM   #6
Fresh

Nancy,

Thanks for finding the links to those posts about "Opioid Deficiency" as a possible cause of depression in some people.
Fresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2010, 06:35 AM   #7
NancyB
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh View Post
Nancy,

Thanks for finding the links to those posts about "Opioid Deficiency" as a possible cause of depression in some people.
You're welcome Fresh!

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote