Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 10-20-2009, 05:29 PM   #1
neisy58

Default surgery on oct 30...yikes:eek:

hi everyone,
due to some problems i have been having and my age,i have been reschedualed for another colonoscopy.
my major fear is 1.being put under and 2.the unknown..
i called both my sub dr and the surgeron and fiqured i would get them on the same page.
my mother was the only person in all the colonoscopys the surgeron had done that ended up in the icu,she had a major reaction to whatever they gave her in surgery.
she quit breathing,her body was really stiff and she acted like she was out of her mind,it lasted for over 12 hrs.
we thought she had a stroke or something,but the dr said it had to be the medication.
the only lasting effect we could see was memory loss.
my sub dr called me today and told me to tell them to use versid(sp?).
has anyone had to have something done where that medication was used?
if so,does anyone know what it is?
any answers would be wonderful,i am at a loss and very nervous.
and another thing,i wish these drugmares would stop,it's going on for a long time now and it's driving me crazy.
i guess it's better than really using,so i will have to deal with the dreams
thankyou everyone,
denise
Unread 10-20-2009, 07:11 PM   #2
NancyB
Administrator

Hi Denise, I'm glad they rescheduled you so that you can get this done sooner than later. I'm glad you got both the surgeon and Suboxone doctor together.

Versed is a short-acting benzo. Here's a thread that has some older threads where people are talking about versed.
http://www.addictionsurvivors.org/vb...ghlight=versed

Here's a link that explains what it is, etc.
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/d...s/a609014.html

I wonder if the dreams will stop once you get this procedure done and you can relax a little more. Another thing that might help is talking them out, either in person with someone, or you can always post here or in chat. Just talking about them and getting them 'out of your head' can help a lot.

Please let me know if there's anything I can do.
: )
Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to NancyB For This Useful Post:
Thank You (10-21-2009)
Unread 10-20-2009, 11:13 PM   #3
neisy58

thankyou so much nancy,
i don't have as much anxiety about it this time,i am more aware of what's going to happen and now that the drs are on the same page,i feel more at ease.
thankyou again,
denise
Unread 10-21-2009, 12:06 AM   #4
Jamesisdone

I have had a colonoscopy and they used Versed on me as well. When they put you "to sleep" using that medication it's not AT ALL the same feeling or medicine used for being put to sleep for a major surgury. Some doctors call Versed "truth serum" as it can make you tell all your dirty secrets lol It kind of just puts you out of it and you wont remember a thing! I really really hate being put "under" for surgury and I too was scared to do the colonoscopy... weird thing is, is it was a good feeling when they started giving me the medicine and next thing I knew I woke up the calmest I have EVER been. So I hope you don't worry too much because I think you'll see that it's not bad at all
Good-luck!
I will be thinking of you!
Jamesisdone is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to Jamesisdone For This Useful Post:
Thank You (10-21-2009)
Unread 10-21-2009, 01:17 AM   #5
OhioMike

Denise I can't offer anything in terms of personal knowledge and Nancy is the one to help find the answers, but, I'm in there batting for you girl.

I know many have had general and have done really well and you have done a wonderful job of seeing to it that everyone involved is on the same page.

Dawn and I will be keeping you in our thoughts and as always, our prayers and best thoughts always!

oh and about the telling of all your secrets, hmmm ......... have your lawyer draw up confidentiality agreements for anyone who will be present, we don't want those getting out! lol

Mike
Thank You (10-21-2009)
Unread 10-21-2009, 11:14 AM   #6
neisy58

thankyou angie,
one of the reasons is i really hate to be put out,i have a fear of never waking up again.
the good thing about it is,i would never know it
i am hoping i didn't inherit any of my mothers side of the family problems.
i know they have more things concerning colon cancer and new treatments,but it's still scarry to think about.
i am tough,and will have to go in with just that attitude
thankyou angie for being there for me,
denise

omike,
not only will i tell him all of my secerts,but i am going to tell him everyone elses...lol,just kidding.
thankyou to both you and dawn,you are both so sweet and caring people,and good things will come to both of you.
i hope you have a great day,
denise
Unread 10-21-2009, 11:58 AM   #7
ex-opiatelover

hey neisy!!! sorry i hadnt talked to u in awhile! lighting struck my house an fried everything in it pretty much!! including my computer! but last weekend i went an bought another one! so im ready to post again! i hope your procedure goes well! versed is a weak benzo, oops i see someone already said that ! sorry!! but anyway, i wouldnt worry about those dreams, i too dream about using! i think the dreams come through from our sub-concious! we think about using during the day an then dream bout it at nite! but all in all i hope everything works out for u an i will be praying for u get through this without incident!! good luck, look forward talkin to u an nancy an everybody else!!
ex-opiatelover is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to ex-opiatelover For This Useful Post:
Thank You (10-21-2009)
Unread 10-21-2009, 05:33 PM   #8
neisy58

hi ex,
how are you doing?
thankyou so much for your kind post,you have been missed.
sorry to hear about the lightning strike and i hope everything else is ok.
i really can't wait til the day i can wake up and not have one of those dreams,it could be due to alot of things on my mind including my sister that i got my doc from bugging me latley.
i really try to not let her get to me,but she loves to get my mother involved too.
oh well,i have enough on my plate to worry about them.
thankyou for your well wishes,i am not as nervous as i was before.
good to see you back,
denise
Thank You (10-26-2009)
Unread 10-21-2009, 06:29 PM   #9
Jamesisdone

Hey Neisy, I also have that fear of never waking up when "going under". Thats prolly a pretty common fear. I forgot to tell you that I was not only given Versed to be "knocked out" in the colonoscopy but I also had it 3 other times when I had to be "knoced out" for oral surgery. I cannot believe I didn't remember that! The messed up thing is that after my colonoscopy (the first time I was given Versed) I actually was "excited" when I found out that is what my oral surgeon was using to put me out, because it was safe and it feels pretty darn good lol and it also didn't make me feel groggy or out of it when I woke up instead I just felt really calm and good. I have had several surguries as a child and an adult where they had to use the other stuff and I HATE IT! I always worry that something bad will happen to me. I am not sure if your mom was allergic to whatever they gave her (you said she had a reaction to the medicine given for her colonoscopy) if so I have severe allergies (to some foods and medicines) and have researched it soooo much and it is pretty rare that what your mother is allergic to you'll be allergic to as well. Just because your mother is allergic to something doesn't mean you will be all it means is that your chances of having allergies in general increase (outdoor, food or other substances) and that isn't always the case either. Also if she had her colonoscopy a while back they may have used a different medicine at that time because medicine and science always changes. And if it makes you feel any better the doctor she saw even said that he has never seen that happen. I really hope that you don't worry yourself too much, I know its hard because I do the same thing but I know everything will be just fine If you take benzos or have before and haven't had a reaction to those then I highly doubt you will react to the Versed (which is a benzo) So take a deep breath and relax because you will do great I just know it (I am not just saying all of this because I love ya, I am telling you this because I mean it!!!)
Love ya girl! Also if you have any other questions about Versed or the colonoscopy let me know and I will do my best to answer

Last edited by Jamesisdone; 10-21-2009 at 06:47 PM..
Thank You (10-21-2009)
Unread 10-21-2009, 07:06 PM   #10
Jamesisdone

I tried to edit my message but apparently you only have 30 minutes to do so. So this message is almost the same but I added a few things... Sorry for having to read it twice. They should give you at least 45 minutes if not more because I was putting alot of thought into what I was trying to say as well as dealing with a 11 month old.

Hey Neisy, I also have that fear of never waking up when "going under". Thats prolly a pretty common fear. I forgot to tell you that I was not only given Versed to be "knocked out" in the colonoscopy but I also had it 3 other times when I had to be "knoced out" for oral surgery. I cannot believe I didn't remember that! The messed up thing is that after my colonoscopy (the first time I was given Versed) I actually was "excited" when I found out that is what my oral surgeon was using to put me out, because it was safe and it feels pretty darn good lol and it also didn't make me feel groggy or out of it when I woke up instead I just felt really calm and good. I have had several surguries as a child and an adult where they had to use the other stuff and I HATE IT! I always worry that something bad will happen to me. I am not sure if your mom was allergic to whatever they gave her (you said she had a reaction to the medicine given for her colonoscopy) if so I have severe allergies (to some foods and medicines) and have researched it soooo much and it is pretty rare that what your mother is allergic to you'll be allergic to as well. Just because your mother is allergic to something doesn't mean you will be all it means is that your chances of having allergies in general increase (outdoor, food or other substances) and that isn't always the case either. Also if she had her colonoscopy a while back they may have used a different medicine at that time because medicine and science always changes. And if it makes you feel any better the doctor she saw even said that he has never seen that happen before. I really hope that you don't worry yourself too much, I know its hard because I do the same thing but I know everything will be just fine If you take benzos or have before and haven't had a reaction to those then I highly doubt you will react to the Versed (which is a benzo) So take a deep breath and relax because you will do great I just know it (I am not just saying all of this just because I love ya or to just bullsh*t you so you won't worry , I am telling you this because I mean everything I am saying to you and for me everything I said is very true!!!)
I love ya girl! If you have any other questions about Versed or the colonoscopy let me know and I will do my best to answer
Thank You (10-21-2009)
Unread 10-21-2009, 10:45 PM   #11
neisy58

thankyou angie,
i can always count on you when i am feeling down,you are such a sweetie
with everything i have read and everything all of you have told me,i feel like i can walk in there and not freak out .thankyou again and many hugs,
denise
Unread 10-21-2009, 11:11 PM   #12
Jamesisdone

You are VERY WELCOME! You know I love ya and I don't wanna see you freak out when I feel you will end up seeing that it's not bad at all! You may be like me and actually like it lol.
Much love,
Unread 10-22-2009, 08:55 AM   #13
kimh

Hi Neisy, please remember not to take any aspirin or Advil, naproxen or any other drugs on that line 5 to 7 days before surgery. I had the colonoscopy and the sleeping medication and was fine. They brought in my poop picture and everything was fine. I was very hungry that was my biggest complaint. Lots of support and love.

Love Kim
kimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2009, 10:58 PM   #14
neisy58

thankyou kim,
right now i am only taking tylonal or ibuprofen,i can't wait to get this done.
i am still having some issues and stomach pain,the sooner the better i guess.
i wish the bloating would go away too.
i guess i will have to wait til the 30th to find out what the issue is.
i try not to think of the negative things and keep busy,but those same thoughts sneak up on me sometimes.
thankyou for all the well wishes and for everyones prayers.
hugs,
denise

opps just read the bottle and the ibuprofen is generic for advil,i better stop that soon.
thankyou again,
denise
Unread 10-23-2009, 08:19 PM   #15
Jamesisdone

You only have to stop Ibuprofen, Advil etc... If you are having a surgery where you will bleed as thoes meds can thin your blood, so you're fine to take them. Advil and the others are very hard on your stomache though so you may want to take something else for pain if you can and see if your tummy feels better
I bet the bloating will go down when you have to take that medicine the night before or 2 days before (can't remember) I swear that is the worst part! You and your toilet will become WELL aquainted lol I was sooooo hungury too after the colonoscopy because that medicine will clean your clock and you can't eat after midnight! But nontheless taking that medicine may lessen the bloating as you WILL NOT have anything left in your intestines
Are you having bloating with pretty bad stomach pains everyday? If so have you checked your gallbladder? I had 3 friends/family members have that happen and it was their gallbladder.
Hang in there!
Unread 10-27-2009, 02:10 AM   #16
kimh

Hi Neisy, how are you doing?? Check in when you can or let Nancy know that we are thinking of you if your computer is still down.

Lots of Love and Prayers Kim
kimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2009, 11:49 AM   #17
neisy58

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimh View Post
Hi Neisy, how are you doing?? Check in when you can or let Nancy know that we are thinking of you if your computer is still down.

Lots of Love and Prayers Kim

hi kim,
you are such a sweetie
i don't know what's up with this computer,but today it seems to be ok.
i am wondering what the little thingy is where it says remember me when logging in,could it be the cause of my problem?,because i wasn't having problems until i started clicking on it
i am trying to put it out of my mind and taking care of all the appts and things to get my daughter back on track,it can be overwhelming at times.
thankyou for caring and lots of hugs and love coming your way,
denise
Unread 10-29-2009, 06:27 PM   #18
NancyB
Administrator

Hi Denise, good luck tomorrow. I'm keeping my fingers crosses that everything will be fine.

You're in my thoughts.

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
Thank You (11-04-2009)
Unread 11-02-2009, 01:44 PM   #19
ex-opiatelover

hey neisy!! im sorry i just read this post!! its too late to wish u luck now, but i hope you are ok, an that what ever procedure u had went well!! i be praying for u!!! im sorry that i missed this!!! i went awhile without posting an i missed it!! im sorry!! u always been there for me since i been on here, wished i could have done the same!!!good luck!!!
Thank You (11-04-2009)
Unread 11-02-2009, 02:06 PM   #20
NancyB
Administrator

Hi ex-opiatelover, neisy is fine. Here's a more recent post from her:
http://www.addictionsurvivors.org/vb...ad.php?t=22835

Nancy
Thank You (11-04-2009)
Unread 11-04-2009, 11:04 AM   #21
ex-opiatelover

hi nancy!! thank u !! im so glad neisy is better! she is real inspiration to all of us!!

Last edited by ex-opiatelover; 11-04-2009 at 11:07 AM..
Thank You (11-04-2009)