Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 04-07-2010, 11:28 PM   #251
Frankie

Quote:
Originally Posted by R. Lee View Post
Frank, Take 1 pang at a time & think throught it.
Hi Lee,

Your talking thinking through the consequences of drinking before I drink. Right?

How many miles on the Indian? I forgot, what color did you get? I just looked on the Indian site, and your bike is pushing 800lbs.! Thanks for the good advice Lee.

Frank
Frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2010, 04:33 PM   #252
R. Lee

Frank, I day at a time& think of the conseqences of that 1st drink. keep up the good work.

The Indian Vintage has 1,900 miles on it & wieghs 753 lbs.
R. Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2010, 09:15 PM   #253
Saint

Frank,

Negotiations with the lawyer broke down. The search for shelter continues...

It is work at times Frank to not drink, although the effort is worth it. For me the 'pang' to drink was usually associated with how I reacted to stress in my life. Sometimes it was easily identifiable. I would wash my anger away with beer instead of dealing with my problems. Other times not so easy to identify. I recall one time getting upset with a person I worked with. Not a verbal confrontation or argument. I upset myself because I perceived this person was acting against me, but in reality I was upset with myself because I perceived myself as being weak, I was making myself weak in effect and I didn't like it. I hope that makes some sense....? That's the best I can do tonight!

As Lee says, keep up the good work!

Regards
Saint is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2010, 10:04 PM   #254
Frankie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint View Post
Frank,

Negotiations with the lawyer broke down. The search for shelter continues...

It is work at times Frank to not drink, although the effort is worth it. For me the 'pang' to drink was usually associated with how I reacted to stress in my life. Sometimes it was easily identifiable. I would wash my anger away with beer instead of dealing with my problems. Other times not so easy to identify. I recall one time getting upset with a person I worked with. Not a verbal confrontation or argument. I upset myself because I perceived this person was acting against me, but in reality I was upset with myself because I perceived myself as being weak, I was making myself weak in effect and I didn't like it. I hope that makes some sense....? That's the best I can do tonight!

As Lee says, keep up the good work!

Regards
Hi Saint,

What you said makes perfect sense, and I can identify with it fully. Thanks for posting it!

Too bad about the house. I'm guessing he was selling it himself? It would be very hard not to be intimidated dealing with a lawyer. Most (a lot) are not real nice folks.

Frank
Unread 04-08-2010, 10:12 PM   #255
Frankie

Quote:
Frank, I day at a time& think of the conseqences of that 1st drink. keep up the good work.

The Indian Vintage has 1,900 miles on it & wieghs 753 lbs.
Thanks Lee,

Looked on the Indian site, and the vintage is very nice (big bucks) but I think I like the roadmaster. Sure looks purdy in the photo!

Frank
Unread 04-10-2010, 12:14 PM   #256
CarlyO

Hi Frank,
How is this weekend going ? I hope all is well !!! Saint and Lee gave great feedback- each doing this their own way, but each taking action.
As to the pangs, urges, sometimes I learned they will pass sometimes quickly if I take action, call someone, get out do something. I hope the more times you make it through the urges they will lessen in frequency.

I have been thinking - just want to throw this out there- if you did decide to go to a meeting, you do not have to speak, at all - you just say, thanks - I am just here to listen. My bet is you may eventually hear someone speak who you like what they have say.
Or go to speaker meetings, just sit and listen.
Again - just saying... I know you have been to meetings before . When I started my journey I hated them, but something changed in me, I wanted my life to change bad enough that I looked for similarities and stopped judging everyone. I did have counselors too, I wish the VA offered more where you are !
I just know in the beginning my thinking could not be trusted, so I had to take some kind of leap of faith ( not religious ) that I could live a happy - alcohol free life if only for today. Like you - I also started walking - I had always loved exercise, when I moved into the half way house, I did not have money, was bored, had gained some lbs, so I started walking, moved up to jogging and loved how good I felt.

Ok nuff about me- how are you ?? Hope everything is going well.

Take care Frank, Carly : )
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
CarlyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2010, 02:17 PM   #257
Frankie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlyO View Post
Hi Frank,
How is this weekend going ? I hope all is well !!! Saint and Lee gave great feedback- each doing this their own way, but each taking action.
As to the pangs, urges, sometimes I learned they will pass sometimes quickly if I take action, call someone, get out do something. I hope the more times you make it through the urges they will lessen in frequency.

I have been thinking - just want to throw this out there- if you did decide to go to a meeting, you do not have to speak, at all - you just say, thanks - I am just here to listen. My bet is you may eventually hear someone speak who you like what they have say.
Or go to speaker meetings, just sit and listen.
Again - just saying... I know you have been to meetings before . When I started my journey I hated them, but something changed in me, I wanted my life to change bad enough that I looked for similarities and stopped judging everyone. I did have counselors too, I wish the VA offered more where you are !
I just know in the beginning my thinking could not be trusted, so I had to take some kind of leap of faith ( not religious ) that I could live a happy - alcohol free life if only for today. Like you - I also started walking - I had always loved exercise, when I moved into the half way house, I did not have money, was bored, had gained some lbs, so I started walking, moved up to jogging and loved how good I felt.

Ok nuff about me- how are you ?? Hope everything is going well.

Take care Frank, Carly : )
Hi Carly,

Thanks for checking on me. Thanks for the advice about pangs. I need to hear these things. It's easy for me to just roll along, and not worry about pangs when I don't have any. "Now" that is.

Speaking of meetings, I think that if I continue to just do what I'm doing, when a real pang hits, i'm not going to have a whole lot of defense against it, unless I have phone numbers from meetings. Thats not totally true, as I think all of the advice on pangs that I have gotten from this forum might just kick in. It's like pulling teeth for me to start going to meetings again.

I think that this time if I start going to meetings, I will share a lot more than I did in the past. I really don't see any other way around it. Thanks for bringing up the judging part. Thats really what I was doing, even though I thought I was a opened minded kind of person etc. I wasn't.

I would show up in a vette, look down at people who couldn't afford xmas presents for the kids, and think to myself; "why not get a job?" Inside I felt inferior, guilty, and worthless. Outside was hip, slick, and cool. I would purposely go to low life meetings to make myself feel better about myself. Also, I never could buy the part "my name is frank, and i'm an alcoholic". I still have a big problem with that.

Glad to hear you love exercise. I don't. Ha! I only do it because I need too. Can't walk real good now, as I pulled (or something) my right akiles. Did a stretch (hard one) half way through my walk, and had to cruise back on home. But there's juce in the blinder. No, thats a song! Just love being a simi gemp for a while. Thanks Carly,

Frank
Unread 04-10-2010, 03:13 PM   #258
CarlyO

Dear Frank,
You shared so much in your post, imo - I think you even shared a part of a vulnerable side, which I know is difficult for many people maybe even more so more for men, just going by my experiences in meetings, groups, counseling. I am proud of you, it sounds like growth imo. When we admit our faults, let that barrier down - it can be freeing, to let go of the BS -
And I do believe this disease does it's best to BS us, convince us that we are not that bad off, couldn't possibly have anything in common with the "losers" - it is fighting in us just as we are fighting for our survival from it.
Remember Frank ...
Change is a process not an event ... : ) Carly
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
Unread 04-11-2010, 01:42 PM   #259
Frankie

Hi Carly,

"And I do believe this disease does it's best to BS us, convince us that we are not that bad off, couldn't possibly have anything in common with the "losers" - it is fighting in us just as we are fighting for our survival from it."

That sounds very logical, and i've never heard it worded quite like you did. How did you ever come up with it?

"When we admit our faults, let that barrier down - it can be freeing, to let go of the BS"

Thanks Carly, you are a jewel. I'm thinking of taking in a noon meeting, instead of a speaker meeting where I can hide out, and listen to another drunk log. If i'm called on, I will share, thats all. I need to particpate, not hide out. I would like to go to a closed meeting where they actually stick to the rules though.

Frank
Unread 04-11-2010, 02:18 PM   #260
R. Lee

Good job Frank.
Unread 04-11-2010, 07:32 PM   #261
CarlyO

Hi Frank,

I think it is worth a try! - let us know how it goes. I am just glad you are considering action. As far what I said, I think back to what it was like for me - how resistant I was to Everything, especially change, and still remember people who had such an impact on me- they taught me to see things in a different way, some did so in a kind way and some in a er um tough love approach to put it mildly! But I knew they cared or else they would not have taken the time either way.

And I do believe this disease is tricky, he*# there are days I still struggle, not so much with wanting to drink/take a substance - but I get into that " stinking thinking," have to work on myself, relationships, still attend counseling because I have always had to deal with depression in addition to addiction so I have to be very careful.

If you go I hope all goes well, you know what they say - keep an open mind. Good luck and keep us posted, take care : ) Carly
Unread 04-11-2010, 08:14 PM   #262
Frankie

Hi Carly and Lee,

Not sure when I will go, I just feel that I should. If it's like most things, I will keep putting it off. I hope not. I really need to hear others share about there thinking, feelings etc., and how they are dealing with it. Now if i'm in a room full of 90 day wonders who are cured, and showing off, I will walk out. I guess i'm not tolerant. I'm already getting pissed, and I haven't even gone yet. Ha! Thanks,

Frank
Unread 04-11-2010, 08:21 PM   #263
Frankie

Quote:
Hi Frank,

I think it is worth a try! - let us know how it goes. I am just glad you are considering action. As far what I said, I think back to what it was like for me - how resistant I was to Everything, especially change, and still remember people who had such an impact on me- they taught me to see things in a different way, some did so in a kind way and some in a er um tough love approach to put it mildly! But I knew they cared or else they would not have taken the time either way.

And I do believe this disease is tricky, he*# there are days I still struggle, not so much with wanting to drink/take a substance - but I get into that " stinking thinking," have to work on myself, relationships, still attend counseling because I have always had to deal with depression in addition to addiction so I have to be very careful.

If you go I hope all goes well, you know what they say - keep an open mind. Good luck and keep us posted, take care : ) Carly
I just looked at your quit date, and it says 01/01/1911. That makes you 99. I had no idea Carly. Ha!
Unread 04-11-2010, 09:33 PM   #264
R. Lee

Good observation Frank. See how the mind can clear up when we clean up! I never picked up on Carly's quit date.
Unread 04-12-2010, 02:56 PM   #265
Frankie

Quote:
Good observation Frank. See how the mind can clear up when we clean up! I never picked up on Carly's quit date.
Hi Lee,

Speaking of "how the mind can clear up", about how long did it take for you to really realize your mind had cleared up? Same for sleeping, if that was a problem.

Frank
Unread 04-12-2010, 03:25 PM   #266
R. Lee

Frank, It takes a while to come out of the fog. It is different for each person depending the damage they have done to themselves.
Unread 04-18-2010, 10:59 AM   #267
CarlyO

Good one Frank - I never noticed that - Typo for sure. My relapse quit date is 9-5-07, prior to my relapse it was July 5 1995, ( i crossed that line around 1993 into full blown, outta control) I spent 2 years in and out of facilities, then 1995 quit until my relapse in 2006. now that I look at the dates I have been dealing with this for a looong time.But I accept that it is part of the process, I am just thankful for all of the new treatments, medications, etc...

Anyway - How are YOU ??I have thought about you and everyone, this week flew by. Sorry I have been MIA, my son is preparing for testing - even though he makes all A- he is having trouble with this state testing, I have 2 weeks to get him prepared.

I hope all has gone well with you - let us know.

Take care, Carly : )
Unread 04-18-2010, 02:01 PM   #268
Frankie

Quote:
Good one Frank - I never noticed that - Typo for sure. My relapse quit date is 9-5-07, prior to my relapse it was July 5 1995, ( i crossed that line around 1993 into full blown, outta control) I spent 2 years in and out of facilities, then 1995 quit until my relapse in 2006. now that I look at the dates I have been dealing with this for a looong time.But I accept that it is part of the process, I am just thankful for all of the new treatments, medications, etc...

Anyway - How are YOU ??I have thought about you and everyone, this week flew by. Sorry I have been MIA, my son is preparing for testing - even though he makes all A- he is having trouble with this state testing, I have 2 weeks to get him prepared.

I hope all has gone well with you - let us know.

Take care, Carly : )

Hi Carly,

Boy, you have some serious sober time racked up! That’s eternity to me, as the most time I ever had was 90 days. You should be very proud of yourself Carly.

I never really drank alcoholically until I was 31. I remember drinking 3 or 4 beers while my girlfriend cooked dinner, and then building speakers until just about bed time, but when my 5 year hobbies died, that’s when the number of beers went up. Is your husband in recovery, and I’m guessing he is understanding about your recovery? Nosey ain’t I?

I guess I’m a 30 day wonder as of yesterday if my math is right. Still haven’t been to a meeting, as things are going smoothly, but things could change, as in waiting to draw blood to see if my numbers improve with not drinking. If they are better, I’m the type to celebrate with beer and a bbq. I hope I won’t! Thanks for checking on me Carly,

Frank
Unread 04-18-2010, 03:23 PM   #269
R. Lee

Frank, Congratulations on your 30 days. Just a suggestion quit setting yourself up for another drunk. Thinking that you can drink if your blood test comes back better than before is insane. Thant is Einstein's theory not mine. Continued good luck on you progress.
Unread 04-18-2010, 04:20 PM   #270
Saint

Frank,

Congratulations on joining the 30 day wonder club!!

Lee made an excellent point about not setting yourself up for the next drink. At some point when I quit I visualized how I would respond to situations, good, bad or otherwise. Situations when one (me) would feel the need to pick up. Of course one can never visualize all possible scenarios but it has helped me prepare myself.

Tell yourself you won't pick up if your numbers are good. Find another way to celebrate the good things in your life.

Take care Frank and congratulations again!!!

Regards
Unread 04-18-2010, 11:24 PM   #271
CarlyO

Frank - CONGRATS !!!!!!!!! 30 days is great, you should be proud of yourself ! I hope you are feeling good about everything, that each day is better, and that very soon the good ones will outweigh the not so good ones.
PLEASE Post here before you get your blood tests if you feel like that pang... also keep reminding yourself - it is NOT worth it to drink if the levels come back good. IMO- It means you have been given something precious, your health and well being. Would you really want to start the entire, Bleeping process all over again ?
You seem like you are opening up more, sharing more, being open minded - those are positive changes my friend.

The fog and sleep issues should get better soon... I am sure exercise is helping you - yes?
Keep up the good work- take care, Carly : )
Unread 04-19-2010, 11:54 AM   #272
Frankie

Quote:
Frank, Congratulations on your 30 days. Just a suggestion quit setting yourself up for another drunk. Thinking that you can drink if your blood test comes back better than before is insane. Thant is Einstein's theory not mine. Continued good luck on you progress.
Hi Lee,

I couldn't agree more that celebrating by drinking if the numbers are better after the blood test is total insanity! After all, the reason the numbers could be better would be caused by not drinking. Duh!

But, I hope my brain doesn't take a c%%p, and tell me that it's ok once in a while. Sort of like petting a rattle snake once in a while.

I thought Einstein's theory was E=mc2. Ha! Thanks for helping me Lee!

Franl
Unread 04-19-2010, 12:18 PM   #273
Frankie

Quote:
Frank,

Congratulations on joining the 30 day wonder club!!

Lee made an excellent point about not setting yourself up for the next drink. At some point when I quit I visualized how I would respond to situations, good, bad or otherwise. Situations when one (me) would feel the need to pick up. Of course one can never visualize all possible scenarios but it has helped me prepare myself.

Tell yourself you won't pick up if your numbers are good. Find another way to celebrate the good things in your life.

Take care Frank and congratulations again!!!

Regards
Hi Saint,

Thanks for the very good advice about finding another way to celebrate other than drinking. Like getting a big ol' bodacious cheese burger. Thats the ticket! Would be even better if I would get my asp (thats a snake bty) to a meeting.

Speaking of the cost of tea in China, how are you able to buy a house while going through a divorce? You must be having a very amicable divorce. Btw, you don't have to answer that, as it is none of my business. I was just curious. I hope things are going ok for you guys. Thanks Saint!

Frank
Unread 04-19-2010, 01:01 PM   #274
Frankie

Quote:
Frank - CONGRATS !!!!!!!!! 30 days is great, you should be proud of yourself ! I hope you are feeling good about everything, that each day is better, and that very soon the good ones will outweigh the not so good ones.
PLEASE Post here before you get your blood tests if you feel like that pang... also keep reminding yourself - it is NOT worth it to drink if the levels come back good. IMO- It means you have been given something precious, your health and well being. Would you really want to start the entire, Bleeping process all over again ?
You seem like you are opening up more, sharing more, being open minded - those are positive changes my friend.

The fog and sleep issues should get better soon... I am sure exercise is helping you - yes?
Keep up the good work- take care, Carly : )
Hi Carly,

You're right, I wouldn't want to start the whole bleeping process over again. I think having a big greasy double cheese burger after the doc. is the best thing for me to do. When the belly is full, I don't have any desire to drink. Also, the numbers could still be bad. Who knows...

As far as the exercise is concerned, I haven't been doing it for about two weeks, as I injured myself. Feeling better? Not really. I don't have much energy. I think in my case, it's going to take 6 months to start feeling better after not drinking. The sleeping is not bad usually unless we get up at midnight and get into a eating frenzy. Not being able to exercise is killing me. I just sit around and eat more. Just love it.

Thanks very much for the good advice Carly. All of you guys (I know you are not a guy even though you are 99 ha!) help me very much. More than you know. Hope things are going good for you, and good luck with your boy.

Frank
Unread 04-19-2010, 10:36 PM   #275
Saint

Frank,

I've gotta say you sound good, upbeat. It's good to 'hear' that in you. Stay positive Frank. Sobriety is so very much worth the time, effort and tears I put into getting where I am at this moment. I feel fortunate and am thankful for where I am today.

Regarding the price of tea in China - I am officially divorced, as of 3/8/10. It's ironic because the divorce was signed off by the judge about two weeks before I received the final decree. I recall wondering when the papers would come. When they did arrive I was struck by the finality of the moment, even though I was awaiting the arriva of the documents.

Yes still amicable, although occassionally find ourselves arguing as if still married!!!! I actually felt a pang of guilt the other day. I find myself happier of late, hopeful for the future and slightly guilty. I must admit it was unexpected.

Do what you need to do to stay sober Frank. You can work on the rest later. Just my humble opinion.

Regards
Unread 04-22-2010, 01:39 PM   #276
wysoftherock

i am confused as to how to use this
wysoftherock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2010, 06:14 PM   #277
CarlyO

Default HI Wysofttherock Welcome

Hi Wysoftterock-

Welcome to the forum- you can post here or start your own thread.

We would like to know more about you if you want to share. This is a supportive community for people facing alcohol related issues or with loved ones/family who are looking for support and education regarding alcoholism.

Also if you need help navigating the site let us know. Your first post came through fine, if you want to start your own thread just click the new thread button and type what you want to share.

Again welcome, Carly
Unread 04-23-2010, 12:45 AM   #278
Frankie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wysoftherock View Post
i am confused as to how to use this
Hi wysoftherock,

I second what Carly said. Welcome! Lots of great advice from people who will accept you just as you are. Good to have you,

Frank
Unread 04-23-2010, 01:01 AM   #279
Frankie

Quote:
Frank,

I've gotta say you sound good, upbeat. It's good to 'hear' that in you. Stay positive Frank. Sobriety is so very much worth the time, effort and tears I put into getting where I am at this moment. I feel fortunate and am thankful for where I am today.

Regarding the price of tea in China - I am officially divorced, as of 3/8/10. It's ironic because the divorce was signed off by the judge about two weeks before I received the final decree. I recall wondering when the papers would come. When they did arrive I was struck by the finality of the moment, even though I was awaiting the arriva of the documents.

Yes still amicable, although occassionally find ourselves arguing as if still married!!!! I actually felt a pang of guilt the other day. I find myself happier of late, hopeful for the future and slightly guilty. I must admit it was unexpected.

Do what you need to do to stay sober Frank. You can work on the rest later. Just my humble opinion.

Regards
Hi Saint,

The numbers are much better, and I didn't even drink to wreck everything. Ha! Thanks again for more tips. Sorry about the arguing and the guilt feelings. It's hard not to argue, as it really is hard work. Good luck,

Frank
Unread 04-23-2010, 04:29 AM   #280
Saint

Frank,

Good numbers, no drinking - Life is Good! Congratulations Frank.

Saint
Unread 04-23-2010, 04:49 PM   #281
R. Lee

Frank, Congratulations on staying sober. ! day at a time & think that 1st drink through. You help me stay sober Frank!
Unread 05-02-2010, 02:25 PM   #282
CarlyO

Hi Frank,

How ARE YOU ??? Sorry I have been MIA, but I had a pinched nerve ( sciatica) and could not sit at the computer. Had to treat it without the risk of narcotics, ( one of my prior substances of choice) just anti-anflamatory meds.
What has been going with you ? Are you still not drinking ? Please update when you have time.
I do hope all is well, take care, Carly : )
Unread 05-02-2010, 04:10 PM   #283
Frankie

Quote:
Hi Frank,

How ARE YOU ??? Sorry I have been MIA, but I had a pinched nerve ( sciatica) and could not sit at the computer. Had to treat it without the risk of narcotics, ( one of my prior substances of choice) just anti-anflamatory meds.
What has been going with you ? Are you still not drinking ? Please update when you have time.
I do hope all is well, take care, Carly : )
Hi Carly,

Glad to hear from you, but sorry that your back is kicking your a@@. Did you lift something heavy? Thats real bad when you can't even sit at the computer. I was in your shoes about five years ago with four hurniated disks from being rear ended, but they are healing now.

I'm still not drinking, but am a little worried about next weakend as I have to take wifey to mama's for a stay again. Thats where I got in trouble stopping at a 7-11 for beer on the way back. I'm hoping if I eat a big meal before hand I won't want to.

I'm guessing you went to a dr.? Are they telling you to do stretching like legs to the chest etc.? If so, make sure you do them slowly without jerking. I'm sure you know that sitting is the worst thing you can do, but complete bed rest is also bad. I had hot fire shooting down both legs for a while, and my upper back muscles are still a bit wacked out as in sore and tight.

Thanks for checking on me, and if Lee is reading this, thanks for the great advice. Hope the back pain gets at least tolerable, not to mention you have a kid to take care of. Heat and cold helped me, in fact I had to do it several times per day just to live. My electric bill even went up 50%! Let us know how you are doing when you can sit without killing yourself. Hope you get better! Btw, just driving my truck (soft riding tundra) made it worse because of the bouncing-back compression. Take care Carly!

Frank
Unread 05-02-2010, 08:27 PM   #284
R. Lee

Frank, I'm still out there. I suggest that you don't set yourself up for that next drink.

Is that beer at 7-11 worth what you have accomplished by not drinking. Every day I have a choice to drink or not to. I work on it 1 day at a time. Who knows what I will be doing next weekend. Today I'm sober.

You are a kind man always asking how others are doing. You would be doing yourself a favor by thinking what is best for yourself. Your drinking as done damage to your health. I pray you make the right decision.
Unread 05-03-2010, 01:30 PM   #285
Saint

Frank,

Well you know what they say about trouble.......if you're looking for it you'll find it. As Lee said, don't set yourself up for that next drink.
Stay well Frank.

Carly sorry to hear about your back. Been there, twice. I feel for you.

Regards
Unread 05-03-2010, 02:50 PM   #286
Frankie

Hi Lee and saint,

Thanks for the advice. As far as living one day at a time, thats a real tuff one. Not sure I can do it. One thing I will do before next sat. is read these posts, and make sure my gut is full before we get to mom's. I will remember about the setting myself up thing. Thanks for the help guys!!

Frank
Unread 05-03-2010, 09:27 PM   #287
R. Lee

Frank, It is a lot easier than trying to stay sober for the rest of your life. Just keep trying to stay in today. You might be dead tomorrow.
Unread 05-03-2010, 09:37 PM   #288
R. Lee

Carly, Sorry about your sore rear end. Way to work the program with out using those anti-anflamatory meds & taking the easy way out. You show us how you gota wanta want it!
Unread 05-04-2010, 12:33 PM   #289
Frankie

Thanks Lee,

I will try the one day at a time thing this sat. as I can always drink the day after, and do the same the day after.

Frank
Unread 05-04-2010, 01:00 PM   #290
R. Lee

That will be your choice Frank. Today I'm working on staying sober until I hit the sack. Tomorrow I will have the choice to drink or not if I wake up.
Unread 05-06-2010, 12:42 PM   #291
Frankie

Quote:
That will be your choice Frank. Today I'm working on staying sober until I hit the sack. Tomorrow I will have the choice to drink or not if I wake up.
Hi Lee,

Little by little the "one day at a time" might be sinking in a bit. I had a bit of a pang (very small one) last night when a few band members came over to play, and they were drunk, and drinking. I bailed out of ever starting with the band as the bass player moved, and the keyboard/lead singer started back drinking heavy at times.

Kind of weird playing with people who are drunk when you are sober, and hearing all the screw ups. Today I don't have a hangover although I feel like c**p from lack of sleep.

Frank
Unread 05-06-2010, 12:57 PM   #292
Saint

Congratulations Frank, that's a huge step in my opinion. I recall going to a neighborhood party and being the only person there not drinking. It was amazing to me at the time to realize how much 'socializing' revolves around drinking. Or perhaps more accurately put how much drinking revolves around socializing.

Good for you Frank!

Saint
Unread 05-06-2010, 01:47 PM   #293
CarlyO

Hi Frank- Ditto on Saint's post ! That is a major accomplishment. And music is a great outlet!
Can you ask your band mates to take it easy on the alcohol ? There are plenty of other musicians who do not drink etc....
What kind of music do you play?

THe weekend is coming up, are you ok about the visit ?

Take care, Carly
Unread 05-06-2010, 08:30 PM   #294
R. Lee

You worked through that just great Frank. I'm proud of you. Keep working on that 1 day at a time.
Unread 05-06-2010, 08:34 PM   #295
Frankie

Quote:
Congratulations Frank, that's a huge step in my opinion. I recall going to a neighborhood party and being the only person there not drinking. It was amazing to me at the time to realize how much 'socializing' revolves around drinking. Or perhaps more accurately put how much drinking revolves around socializing.

Good for you Frank!

Saint
Hi Saint,

Last night was no biggie. As pangs go it was a 1 or less, and it was a bit too late for me to drink anyway. I told them I wasn't drinking and they both go on the wagon for months at a time. Drinking revolves around socializing is an understatement. Thanks,

Frank
Unread 05-06-2010, 08:55 PM   #296
Frankie

Quote:
Hi Frank- Ditto on Saint's post ! That is a major accomplishment. And music is a great outlet!
Can you ask your band mates to take it easy on the alcohol ? There are plenty of other musicians who do not drink etc....
What kind of music do you play?

THe weekend is coming up, are you ok about the visit ?

Take care, Carly
Hi Carly,

Hows your back? You didn't say anything about how your doing! I'm going to have to spank you. Well, maybe not, you might like it. Just kidding!

I wouldn't think of asking them to cut the beer out, as we only get together now for fun. Thats the tightest I ever saw the lead singer get.

Last night we mostly played old rock songs, but we play different stuff like blue grass etc. I play guitar, mandolin and banjo. They play everything except banjo. Sounds really good when we're cooking.

I am concerned about this weekend. I hope I can tuff it out on sat. Thanks,

Frank
Unread 05-10-2010, 12:22 AM   #297
CarlyO

HI Frankie,

I am IMPRESSED - Banjo, Mandolin, Guitar ! My back got better and then I was mopping the floor ( tile) and slipped uggg- but all is well. Had to go to in-laws for Mother's Day.

Boy was I glad to read that your trip was postponed, as I could not get to a computer to see what your frame of mind was. Maybe take it a day at a time, hey you may even surprise yourself as far as cravings go, IT HAS been a while without alcohol yes?

Well it is midnight and we just got home, will check in later - take care, Carly : )
Unread 05-10-2010, 11:37 PM   #298
Frankie

Quote:
HI Frankie,

I am IMPRESSED - Banjo, Mandolin, Guitar ! My back got better and then I was mopping the floor ( tile) and slipped uggg- but all is well. Had to go to in-laws for Mother's Day.

Boy was I glad to read that your trip was postponed, as I could not get to a computer to see what your frame of mind was. Maybe take it a day at a time, hey you may even surprise yourself as far as cravings go, IT HAS been a while without alcohol yes?

Well it is midnight and we just got home, will check in later - take care, Carly : )
Hi Carly,

Still not drinking, but will take my wife to mom's this sat. and am still concerned about it. I will eat a big meal before, and that might do the trick. This sat. will be 2 mo. Thanks for checking.

Frank
Unread 05-11-2010, 04:15 PM   #299
R. Lee

Frank don't drink. You have the choice.
Unread 05-16-2010, 02:31 PM   #300
CarlyO

FRank hang in there- hope everything is going well. YOu have come so far, use the tools, you DO NOT have to pick up that drink.
Travel safely - take care, Carly