Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 03-05-2009, 10:48 AM   #51
NancyB
Administrator

Hi, when was the last time you took any Suboxone?

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2009, 10:58 AM   #52
inrecovery

Nancy, i took the last 1/2 of an 8/2 on Tues, mid afternoon
inrecovery is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2009, 11:01 AM   #53
NancyB
Administrator

Hi again, IMO, don't take any more until you start to feel withdrawals. Then you might even try just 1mg to see if that works. It still appears as if you probably need a tiny dose. and that now the half life is working its way out now.

Or you can see how you feel and it you want to just try to get through the WDs without it?

Please keep us updated.

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
Unread 03-06-2009, 10:51 PM   #54
deep carrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madison7 View Post
I like the high. Anyone else?
ya it does give you a kind of spacey high.... i think it might mess with your moods after awhile. im not sure but thats what i mean ha ha
anyone else?
deep carrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2009, 09:17 PM   #55
Needz2know

Default Nancy B & Tim's quote!!

Ok, that quote of Tim's made so much sense!! In a few different studies of Suboxone (by itself, and in comparing it to others such drugs...) it clearly concluded that the optimum dose for "most" people is typically between 12-16mg. And, it wasn't because of particular DOC usage/years used/amounts taken, as it IS related to the amount of opiate receptors being filled ("satisfied"). The results, including actual brain scans, showed that for a 12mg dosage, the amount of opiate receptors filled/satisfied by the Sub. was between 59-79%; and, with a dose of 16mg, about 75-95% of the receptors were filled/satisfied. *the wide range is due to the varying absorption rate*

THIS would be WHY someone with a lesser degree of addiction to their DOC (say 10 Perc-5's/Lortabs per day) and a person with a heavier habit (10 Perc-30's/heavy heroin use) can be started and maintained at the same Sub. dosage, and both feel great! Suboxone is a strong med in & of itself, so a higher dose isn't necessarily needed JUST because a persons addiction to other opiates was relatively high or low, BUT because EVERY ONE of us has "hungry" little opiate receptors, that need to be satisfied - the more receptors that are being satisfied, the lesser the W/D's, and cravings. Then, the ceiling affect comes in - we become accustomed to the Sub. and never need more & more, but rather less and less, to feel better (AKA less drug-dependant) as we overcome the whole other DOC addiction and ever-increasing tolerances that they involve to "feel better" ...

btw ... I'm new here & to Suboxone - Day 8!! I've been reading through all these posts for a few weeks, and have learned so much, so Thank You All!! I am still trying to figure out the dose that's right for me, and will post my concerns in another post ... feel free to hop over there and ADVISE AWAY, I need all of it that I can get!!
Needz2know is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2009, 03:19 AM   #56
ironman

Fish - I caught your comment about teeth grinding. I have it BAD ! And often a generalized anxiety I can't explain. Anyone else besides us ? Any counter med for this ? Its not horrible but it does cause me to have jaw pain that can get pretty intense. The 'anxiety' comes and goes - its mainly just annoying. But, if there is a 'cure', hey - why not ? Anyone ????
ironman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2009, 12:48 AM   #57
Acura

I enjoy the feeling I get from Suboxone very much.
I take 24 to 32mg a day, all at once in the morning.
After I dose, I drink 2 or 3 cups of imported coffee.
I feel amazing at this point, and work very hard all day.
I definitely get an uplifting high, especially when I take a few Benadryls and smoke some weed.
I used to snort 240mg of Oxy or more at a time, so it's not a tolerance thing.
The uplifting feeling is part of the reason I'm more inclined to NOT use other drugs and stay on the Suboxone.
I've gotten more progress done in my life over the past 6 months than the whole 21 years before it. Suboxone completes me.
Unread 06-01-2009, 07:54 AM   #58
toboat777

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acura View Post
I enjoy the feeling I get from Suboxone very much.
I take 24 to 32mg a day, all at once in the morning.
After I dose, I drink 2 or 3 cups of imported coffee.
I feel amazing at this point, and work very hard all day.
I definitely get an uplifting high, especially when I take a few Benadryls and smoke some weed.
I used to snort 240mg of Oxy or more at a time, so it's not a tolerance thing.
The uplifting feeling is part of the reason I'm more inclined to NOT use other drugs and stay on the Suboxone.
I've gotten more progress done in my life over the past 6 months than the whole 21 years before it. Suboxone completes me.
WOW Sorry but I am shocked on how you are working your recovery program I believe you may be going backwards here to say the least.
toboat777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2009, 08:00 AM   #59
NancyB
Administrator

Hi Acura and welcome. Are you in therapy at all? You're still in active addiction by manipulating your Suboxone dosing and using other substances to get high.

Have you thought about using the Suboxone correctly? That is, the lowest dose that stops withdrawals and cravings, going to therapy or groups, and not self-medicating?

I hope you'll at least think about it.

Nancy
Unread 06-01-2009, 11:25 AM   #60
follydad

Acura, it's good that you are being completely honest about your usage. That open quality will help others help you. I think a lot of folks are in denial by saying that they don't feel any mood altering or uplifting effects whatsosever from Suboxone. I just don't believe it. When you go from feeling like crap with the chills and no energy and all of a sudden feel like the old energetic "you," I have news for you, your mood was just altered. And I don't think it's unhealthy to say out loud that you feel much better while taking Suboxone. Sometimes it feels like the elephant in the room. Anyway, all of that said, the objective is to gradually decrease your use to the point where you feel pretty good without any drugs, or at least as good as you did before you started taking them. If you weren't feeling happy then, you might have some depression and would benefit from anti-depressants, therapy, etc. Opiates aren't good for treating depression because they lead to death, jail, liver transplant, etc. There's no other progression. The weed is definitely not helping you. It's such a depressant in the long term.
follydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2009, 10:42 AM   #61
ironman

follydad:

'Opiates aren't good for treating depression...'

I strongly disagree !! Sub has virtually eliminated the depression I've suffered with over 40 years !! Sub is an 'opiate' .
ironman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2009, 08:15 PM   #62
jojoluvsjess

Default ive been there

when i first started takin sub 8mg it made me high and sick and it wasnt no good not like a tab or perc high but i found by breakin the 8mg into 4 peices it took the edge off but i didnt get sick or high like that.
jojoluvsjess is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2009, 09:32 PM   #63
galvsteph

are you in a 12 step program? I just started sub and day 10 I feel bad, tired, nasaeau, vomiting, I lowered my dose a bit, seems better. How did you fell the 1st 32-3 weeks
Stephen
galvsteph is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2009, 08:23 PM   #64
aprilw

Hi everyone! I too had a "high" the first dose i took, 8mg. that was on tuesday. Im now on day 5. It freaked me out. I called Dr. it was late so I didnt get a call back. He prescribed 2-8mg, twice per day. I talked with a lot of people on this site and made decision to mess around with dosage. BIG mistake, I think. From what I can gather it takes a couple of days to get body adjusted, IMO you should take same amount for week, unless its something unbarable for you,so you can get stabelized. Im very new here, so i hardly know anything! Im just glad to see that other people were feeling the "high", it did freak me out a little. I didnt feel that "high" again. I messed with my dose, I dont feel as good as i did the first couple of days, thats why I think I should have stayed with my dose until my Dr. appoiment. 1 week. Thanks everyone, April
aprilw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2009, 08:27 PM   #65
aprilw

I just read my post again---My Dr. prescribed "1" not 2 8mg taken twice per day. am and pm. Thanks again April
aprilw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2009, 09:36 PM   #66
oatmealislove

Default agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madison7 View Post
I like the high. Anyone else?

I like it too, it only lasts for like maybe an hr at the most, very mild and relaxing. Its definitly not a bad high or anything. I look forward to it, makes cigs take better, like a mini dope. for 20-60 minutes after I take my half every day. Bout to go take some more hah. Plus with my xanax, it feels alright. no REAL high or anything, just a tired high, but at first it feels pretty nice and I look forward to it, so...whatever..I hope it stays. Its prolly strong for me since I've snorted it since the begining. So i don't need as much, But I'm on subutex so its no nasty orange shit taste. **** that. Yukkkkkie. Makes me gag. Subutex taste like nothing.
oatmealislove is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2009, 09:41 PM   #67
oatmealislove

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprilw View Post
Hi everyone! I too had a "high" the first dose i took, 8mg. that was on tuesday. Im now on day 5. It freaked me out. I called Dr. it was late so I didnt get a call back. He prescribed 2-8mg, twice per day. I talked with a lot of people on this site and made decision to mess around with dosage. BIG mistake, I think. From what I can gather it takes a couple of days to get body adjusted, IMO you should take same amount for week, unless its something unbarable for you,so you can get stabelized. Im very new here, so i hardly know anything! Im just glad to see that other people were feeling the "high", it did freak me out a little. I didnt feel that "high" again. I messed with my dose, I dont feel as good as i did the first couple of days, thats why I think I should have stayed with my dose until my Dr. appoiment. 1 week. Thanks everyone, April
Doctors always prescribe you way to much. I think they really dont know what theyre doin,and probably just trying to keep you hooked as long as possible. I only need a half a day to be alright, less if I don't have alot. But I snort it. So I don't need as much. If I wasnt I'd probably take an 8mg. but I only take 4, I don't need anymore, but I usually end up doing 8 within a day, 4 in morning and 4 at night up my nose, and it hits me faster and feel a nice feeling for about 40 mins, and I look forward to that, and with my xanax its a good sleep aid. Plus my subutex is my cure all, cures my depression anxiety and any cravings i could ever have...are completely all gone...but I dont want to get off it or anything, I really have no idea what would happend if I did. I';lll probably end up with a hole in my septum but...This shit keeps me normal and sane. and have no side effects, except good ones. in the begining I did need alot more though to get through detoxing ofcourse. but after that I only needed 2-4mg a day...yattaytata sorry ranting.
oatmealislove is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2009, 10:36 PM   #68
NancyB
Administrator

Hi oatmealislove, why are you snorting it? If you're looking to get true treatment for your opioid dependence, you should be taking it as prescribed - sublingually - not snorting it.

Now you're just repeating addictive behaviors along with ingesting a bunch of fillers and other inert ingredients that are not meant to be taken that way.

People who take it as prescribed and use other tools in their recovery generally do not get 'hooked' on Suboxone.

To learn the difference between addiction and dependence, please take a look at this FAQ: http://www.naabt.org/faq_answers.cfm#1

Hopefully some time soon, you'll want to work on your treatment instead of misusing Subutex.

Nancy
2 Users Say Thank You to NancyB For This Useful Post:
Thank You (09-10-2009), Thank You (10-30-2009)
Unread 09-08-2009, 11:02 PM   #69
neisy58

wow oatmealislove,
i think you have the wrong idea about how to take subutex and suboxone,it's not made to be snorted at all.
you are not even getting the full effects of your subutex by snorting it.
doesn't it say on your prescription bottle to me put under the tounge?
like nancyb said you are still following your old using ways by snorting it.
another thing is you have to be very careful when taking xanax with suboxone,it can cause breathing problems and other issues.
i think you need to be honest with your dr and start taking your subutex as prescribed so you can get the full results of your treatment.
are you going for any other treaments like groups,education,meetings or counciling?
if not you are just using your subutex as a medication and not as a tool for recovery.
well all i can say to you is the best of luck and i sure hope you decide to take it as prescribed,you will feel better effects from it doing it the right way.
denise
Thank You (09-10-2009)
Unread 09-09-2009, 01:38 PM   #70
Miss13

OMG!! I love that high too and I actually want it back - I suppose thats bad. I only had it for the first 2-3 days.
Miss13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2009, 10:22 AM   #71
chnmnny

Oatmealislove

Just had to echo what Neisy58 and Nancy said
What are your real motives?

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and everyone is in different places in their recovery, but I think the graphic description of obvious abuse, and also the triggers this could cause some people who may be struggling, but still trying, is totally unfair !

I would seriously think about at least trying to get honest with Yourself much less your MD's

IMHO of course

Last edited by chnmnny; 09-10-2009 at 10:34 AM..
chnmnny is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Say Thank You to chnmnny For This Useful Post:
Thank You (10-30-2009), Thank You (09-11-2009)
Unread 09-10-2009, 03:00 PM   #72
ex-opiatelover

how do we get these people off here!! this is recovery not new ways to get high!!!! should be reported!!! i hope that u decide to be a adult an make it through your treatment!! u get on sub to get healthy. i guess u thank it makes u look good to your family or friends, i mean like you make them think ur changin but your not!! clearly u hadnt hit ur bottom!! i hope an pray for u to change. because addiction is deadly!!!
ex-opiatelover is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Say Thank You to ex-opiatelover For This Useful Post:
Thank You (09-10-2009), Thank You (09-11-2009)
Unread 09-10-2009, 03:09 PM   #73
ex-opiatelover

i dont mean to be rude, it just hurts when u put ideas like those out there, new people get on here an read them, they might try it an screw up there treatment!! please be considerate of others on here!!!
ex-opiatelover is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Say Thank You to ex-opiatelover For This Useful Post:
Thank You (09-10-2009), Thank You (09-11-2009)
Unread 09-11-2009, 07:48 AM   #74
Bqb247

i agree ex. we don't wanna hear anything about snorting....oatmealislove, i hope u decide to get serious.
Thank You (09-11-2009)
Unread 10-30-2009, 04:16 AM   #75
apple26

ummm really if u are that HIGH then guess what UR DOSE IS TOOO HIGH! ? Which would mean u need to take LESS! Either a half or even a quater.. I take 3 suboxin 8s a day and IM FINE ALL DAY i could take four and be fine I AM NOT ****ED UP like i see ppl all the time who take them to get ****ed up! and u are gonna just endanger urself and neone around u if u are all jacked up like that..and really if ur tryin to do the right thing and use the drug to get off sumthing commen since n good judgement would probably already tell u that, if ur just gonna b all jacked up u arent really fixing nething ull feel better once u get ur dose adjusted feelin IN CONTROL is the best part... lettin ANY DRUG CONTROL U just sucks
apple26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2009, 04:18 AM   #76
apple26

Default and PS

THE ONLY REASON THE HIGH LESSONS N TIME IS CAUSE UR ALLOWING URSELVES TO BUILD UP A TOLERANCE just like u would with ne other drug the goal is to lower ur dose not get hooked on it tooo!
Unread 10-30-2009, 04:24 AM   #77
apple26

u cut down on ur dosage.......if its too much u simply take less, half less or even a quarter less cause if its too high n u keep takin the same amount ur only ****in urself over n buildin up a tolerance to sumthin else the point is to take what u need and NOT more, and the good news is... if n four hrs u feel like u need to take more u can take another quater or whatever but if u r getting HIGH u are on toooo much at one time!!!! I am on 3 8s a day i started takin 2 8s n the day then one around 4 now I can take one n the AM one around the afternoon and if I TRUELY NEED ONE i might take my third..or I might say.. I DONT NEED IT and leave it be... TAKE WHAT U NEED or u are gonna just start another cycle of addiction n dependancy on an even more expensive habit
Unread 11-25-2009, 10:15 AM   #78
soberchef2009

Sub has def been a blessing for me. At six months clean it completely helps with any cravings and wd's because they do still come some time. However, ever since I started taking this medication I feel absolutely yucky for about the first 10 minutes, cramps and bloating in my stomach, jumbled words in my mouth, sometimes some twitching of my muscles. Then it goes away and I feel releif, a wonderful relief, not like a high but just a feeling of being "normal?" whatever that is, being hooked on opiates for so long i think i forgot what feeling normal feels like. I think sometimes we mistake feeling normal for feeling "high". I think many of us have forgotten what it feels like to be normal, many of my friends who are not addicts describe being high on life or just feeling great somedays. I wonder if this is the feeling many of us get when we take sub and because we have not felt normal for so long we think we are "high" oh well just my thoughts. Still dont know why I feel so icky right after i take the sub but it only lasts a few minutes. It's like people say sub is a VERY powerful med, and it's like I can really feel it's power for those first few minutes. It almost make me have to stop whatever I'm doing, like I weigh a thousand pounds. Well, you all are the best, I know I don't post much but beleive I am on here EVERY day. You all are my inspiration.

-Chef
Thank You (11-25-2009)
Unread 11-25-2009, 01:14 PM   #79
toms

I haven't heard of that kind of reaction. The thing to do is to discuss it with your doc, NOT to tinker with your dose.
toms is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2009, 08:47 PM   #80
Sunny1

It's hard for me to understand how or why suboxone makes some people feel high or altered. While I don't like what the person above said about how they take it, at least it explains some things.

I can completely and honestly say that Suboxone did not make me feel high or altered. I was on a dose of 24 mgs and have tapered off it. It did not make me feel anything other than losing the withdrawals. Ya' know it would've been nice if it had helped with my depression, but it did not. I was depressed on it and depressed off it.

I kind of resent that someone said that people who say they don't or didn't feel high from it are in denial. To tell the truth I suspect that a lot of people that say they feel something more from it are messing around with their dose, or messing around with how they take it. I'm not saying that's always the case, but I suspect it is sometimes. I'm sure most people don't want to admit that, so they would rather blame the suboxone and make it sound like everyone is getting that with their suboxone to reduce their own guilt and denial.
I feel bad for those people b/c they are still doing things that are not helping their addiction. It's difficult b/c that is part of the disease. I guess I had it easy b/c suboxone did not do anything for me that made me want to even try to mess around with it, plus the fact that I was sick of feeling not myself from opiates. I did not want anything, but to feel normal again. When I went on Sub I was trying to stay at a lower dose than I needed b/c I was so paranoid about possibly not being myself on it. Thankfully I got over that b/c I was sick for a while from trying to stay at 9mgs.
Sunny1 is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to Sunny1 For This Useful Post:
Thank You (12-07-2009)
Unread 11-29-2009, 01:48 PM   #81
TIM

Addiction resets the brain and lowers a person’s threshold for pain, stress, anxiety and depression. Anyone who has quit cold turkey from a serious opioid addiction knows that even weeks or months later, the brain has not returned to normal and the suffering continues. A medication that makes a return to normal can be interpreted as a “high” because the change in wellbeing is significant. Buprenorphine is intended to return a person to normal levels or even slightly above normal, at least at first. This came from lessoned learned from oral natrexone treatment for addiction. Naltrexone is a blocker like buprenorphine but unlike buprenorphine has no opioid effect and hence doesn’t compensate for the damage caused from addiction. Although patients could no longer experience effects from opioids, they still suffered from lower thresholds of pain, stress, anxiety and depression. Because of this oral naltrexone was poorly accepted by patients and treatment compliance was low. Buprenorphine was thought to combat this, it is intended to provide some euphoria, to both prevent withdrawal and cravings and also compensate for other brain alterations associated with long-term addiction. For some people it provides the right amount so they feel normal, for some it can’t provide enough at any dose and those people feel bad and may have to switch to methadone, and with others it can provide too much opioid effect and cause noticeable euphoria. In the latter, a dose reduction usually corrects this. Some euphoria in the beginning is thought to be a good thing as it helps keep patients in treatment during stabilization where stresses from making changes are greatest. Anyone who is experiencing what they would call strong euphoria after the first few weeks should consider a dose decrease and aim toward feeling normal and unaffected by each daily dose. As the brain “heals” (adapts to addiction-free life) this threshold may change and dose decreases might be necessary periodically throughout treatment until the medication is no longer necessary to maintain a natural state of wellbeing.

Tim

Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. Voluntary Disclosure: Timothy L. is the President of The National Alliance of Advocates for Buprenorphine treatment. (NAABT.org) The views and opinions of Timothy L., or any poster, are not necessarily the views of AddictionSurvivors.org. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider Any information you read here should only serve to inspire you to investigate further with credible, verifiable referenced sources or your doctor.
TIM is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to TIM For This Useful Post:
Thank You (12-02-2009)