Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 06-12-2008, 09:09 PM   #1
momof2boys

Default Question about a female problem ***WARNING ***

Hi. I am a fairly modest person and I did not want to post this but since my problem is not subsiding I decided it was not really a big deal.

Have any ladies experienced iregular or constant menstrual cycles?

I have been menstruating for 3 weeks straight now. Its pretty light but very annoying!!!!!!!!!

Before suboxone I had been 100% regular. When I started this "cycle" 3 weeks ago it was actually 2 weeks early.

I hate this. The only time in my life I have ever done this was when I was on birthcontrol 6 years ago. I stopped because of its side effects.

Sorry about this content but I didn't know how else to put it.
momof2boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2008, 09:12 PM   #2
momof2boys

The ***WARNING*** was for men.
Unread 06-12-2008, 09:12 PM   #3
spoint1
Way Cool Member

mom, how old are you? The reason I ask is that in our late 30's to early 50's some of us go through the "perimenopause". During this time of change your periods can get really wacky, and I wonder if that's what's going on for you.
Conversely, any possibility that you might be pregnant? Some women have some spotting issues early in pregnancy...
spoint1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2008, 09:20 PM   #4
momof2boys

I dont think so. I am 23 about to be 24. I better not be pregnant!!!

Ok......now Im freaking out because I have been feeling "strange" the past few days. But I have 2 babies and with both of them the give away sign was my breasts where very sore....but no pregnancy is exactly the same...

I have felt nausiated after i eat for the past 2 days.

i might pick up a Pregnancy test tonight. I would freak out if i were. We didn't have any condoms last month and took the risk. I havent really thought about it since then. Ill just have to take the test tonight.
Unread 06-12-2008, 09:20 PM   #5
mcmotley

Hi mom, I started Sub on May 19th and "started" about 2 weeks later. I did notice that it was longer and more painful then before. I am not on birthcontrol (have tubes tied sorry boys) and I have never had problems in the past. I am always regular so I don't know if it was the Sub or not

This is a good question..I wonder if you are onto something? I know that "mine" doesn't sound as bad as "yours", but it was different this time. I'll have to be more aware the "next time auntie comes to town" lol.

Sorry I used the "" to be subtle...I hope you feel better and let me know how the "next" time is (if you don't mind that is).

Michelle
mcmotley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2008, 09:34 PM   #6
mcmotley

Mom,
I was typing at the same time you were...IMO I would go get a test just to eliminate the possiblity. If you have been sick to your stomach then better safe then sorry!!!!! If not maybe you should talk to your Dr. and let him know what is going on.

Best of luck to you
Michelle
mcmotley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2008, 09:34 PM   #7
phone

YES IT IS DIFFERENT.

different in every way that it can be different.

Not better not worse just d i f f e r e n t.

It was very polite to do the warning, but "everybody poops" (you know that book?) and around here, NOBODY POOPS.

We talk about poop frequency, consistency, length, width, color, shape, and size. I think it's okay to talk about the period.

Love, Ember
phone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2008, 09:53 PM   #8
KevO

Ember.....

Sure, its ok to talk about the period..but I think this would be considered "off-topic", wouldn't it?!

m2b, I hope you figure the situation out, for your hubby's sake! lol im kidding, im kidding! whoa, calm down why are you picking up that fork?! whoaaa! nah...seriously..good luck get "better" soon!
KevO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2008, 09:55 PM   #9
Chrisifix

Well momof2boys we are all going to be patiently waiting for the results of that pregnancy since now we are all going to be curious. That is if you wish to share that with us.

Anyway, good luck!

Chris
Chrisifix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2008, 10:39 PM   #10
josie

If the pregnancy test is positive get yourself to a doctor. If it is negative get yourself to a doctor. Abnormal bleeding is just that, abnormal, and a sign that something is not right. And any of you ladies reading that don't get your annual pap, please do it. It could just save your life.

~josie
josie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2008, 10:59 PM   #11
Madison7

"It was very polite to do the warning, but "everybody poops" (you know that book?) and around here, NOBODY POOPS."

I once dated a girl who even to this day has never farted.

Madison7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2008, 12:35 AM   #12
staticx79

Just a thought, when I was on heroin, I stopped menstrating completely for 7 months (thought I was pregnant at first, took test after test, finally, after 4 months of not gaining any weight, I realized I probably wasn't pregnant, and went to a DR) Anyway, I found out that long term opiates use can screw with your hormones, and cause ammenorrhea (absence of your peroid). Not long after that, one time when I went cold turkey, I had spotting for the whole 2 months I stopped heroin. Maybe your body is adjusting to stopping your DOC. Either way, if it turms out you are not pregnant, you should make a Dr appt, to rule out more serious things.
staticx79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2008, 12:51 AM   #13
momof2boys

I knew that drastic changes in anything in your life..... stress, diet, medications.....

I knew that those things can affect a womans cycle but I was wondering if anyone else on suboxone is having this problem. I know that it is either the lack of my DOC, or the suboxone.....or soemthing even crazier, pregnant?!?! Just kidding, kind of.

SO thats why i posted here, to see if any other sub users are expierencing this kind of side affect.

Of course I will let yall know about if Im pregnant......now I would keep it a secret from my dad and my mother-in law for as long as possible.
I think everyone is going to disown us if we have another baby, right now anyway.

Unread 06-13-2008, 01:37 AM   #14
gotitang

This is why I love this site! We can't recover if we don't share our feeling! I'm proud of all you women and men who were brave enough to "throw it out there!" Besides nobody even knows who we really are! How can "we" get embaressed! Even if "we" got whispered about WHO cares!!!!! See how this recovery thing works! WE take the POWER out of our thoughts!!! YEAHHHHH Recovery is sooooooooo cool! giggling
gotitang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2008, 02:02 AM   #15
russell

[:0] AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! I knew I shouldn't have clicked on this! I KNEW it!

OFF TOPIC! OFF TOPIC! OFF TOPIC! OFF TOPIC! (just kidding!....kind of!)

Anyway- I gave my 8 year old daughter a brief run down on the "period" thing a few weeks ago.....Man, was she bummed! When is a good age to have THAT talk? I had a friend & his daughter started at 9 y.o. F'ing 9!?!?!......I just didn't want her to think she was dieing or something when it did start!

Scott-
russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2008, 02:12 AM   #16
Sunny1

My best friend in Jr high school got her period when she was 8 or 9 so better be safe then have a frightened child. (She also had boobs so that's kind a clue that it's coming)

I think it's best to start teaching kids about anatomy and normal body stuff early on, but to each their own. That's just my view, I would teach my child from the earliest years about normal bodily functions, on their level and continue that dialogue into deeper conversations as they get older and become more curious. That way it isn't something I suddenly drop on them when they are older. Plus most kids talk about these things from a young age and i would rather have some influence over what they are learning.

About Suboxone and periods. I got my period a week early. Sorta, it wasn't the whole shebang. I don't know if i should be expecting it again next week. I've only been on Suboxone 3.5 weeks I think so who knows.
From what I've read opaites in general can mess up menstruation, so doubt it's Suboxone in particular making things any wackier than they would have been. I actually wasn't getting my period as often as I should on hydrocodone.
Sunny1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2008, 03:15 PM   #17
sueheath

I definitely think Suboxone has some kind of effect on the menstrual cycle. My friend & I both started Suboxone on the same day & we both had irregular cycles. One week after starting Sub I was in the middle of my cycle & I started bleeding (I take birth control to stay regular & not get pregnant, of course). Two weeks later when I was supposed to start my period, I only spotted for a couple of days. Then a month later when I started my period again, HOLY COW, it was like the period dam broke. I bled like a stuck pig for a full 5 days! I even passed several large clots. Sorry if I'm being too graphic. Anyway, the good news now is that I'm back regular. I think it was just in the beginning after stopping my DOC & starting the Sub that it interferred in some way. Mom, hope this helps.
Sue
sueheath is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2009, 10:39 PM   #18
m_styles78

madison, your comment about your ex cracked me up.... thanks for the laugh, i needed it.. lol
m_styles78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2009, 11:33 AM   #19
maddie

i have been on suboxone for 3 months now, first two months were very heavy, last one was heavy but only 3 days. previously it always lasted 5 or 6 days. so maybe there is something to this.
maddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2009, 04:36 AM   #20
NoLongerSufferingWI

I strongly believe that Suboxone has an effect on periods and spotting as well. I have been on the Depo shot for about 2 years now and haven't had a single period nor spotting that entire time(which is the whole point! yay for Depo Provera!). But, the point is...about 4 months after starting suboxone, I had a "period", which was technically not a period because you don't ovulate while on "the shot". The bleeding was mild to moderate which is what used to be my normal and happened twice, about 2.5 weeks apart, which I don't know if that was normal because my cycles have never been normal. But, back to my point, these were not "cycles" nor "periods" because ovulation was impossible. So, I suppose I could be the "control" group in this experiment, concluding that spotting in between regular periods can occur. I know that every woman here is different, so it may very well be that your cycles are being disrupted, but, drawing from my experience, it could also be spotting in between periods. Spotting can be anywhere from a few light drops to very heavy bleeding. Heavy bleeding or irregularities in a normally regular cycle, as others have already noted, can be a sign of a more serious condition. So, to be safe, I would get it checked out by a doctor. I hope I could help everyone(or at least one!) here. Wishing you the best,
-Jennifer