Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 05-22-2008, 05:56 PM   #1
Chrisifix

Default Is Constipation worse on Sub??

I guess it is time to ask this question now so I can be pre-warned. I have definately read about constipation being one of the side effects of suboxone but am curious if it is worse with the sub than when using your DOC. For me I know that the norcos made me very constipated or any kind of opiate. Also, is the constipation worse being in a higher dose of sub versus a lower dose? I have always had a problem in this area opiates or not so it really won't be anything new to me. Was just kind of hoping that being on sub things would be a little better. Oh well!!

Day 2 and I am feeling great!! Things are going so well and I am so happy. This has been such a wonderful and exciting experience for me. I just can't even explain it.. Everyone here has been so supportive and kind and so willing to help others. Things are so much easier going through this knowing that I am not alone. I hope everybody is doing well and has a Great Day!!

Chris
Chrisifix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2008, 05:59 PM   #2
flier1

Yes having constipation was worse on Sub than my DOC, It isn't bad now cause I only take 2mgs but when I was taking anything over 8 it was horrible. but I just started eating right and drinking water, prune juice, even though I cant stand it..LOL.. AND sometimes I would take a stool softener like Ducolax about once a week.

Helen
flier1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2008, 06:23 PM   #3
Sunny1

Hi Chris,
Congrats, I'm glad to hear you are doing so well!!!

I'm on day 7 of Sub and the constipation is getting more noticable. The 1st. few days it was actually better than it had been on my DOC.
The difference with the constipation I'm feeling now is that I feel it. I feel like I have to go, but that ain't happening. On my DOC I knew I didn't go regularly, but I didn't feel any sensation like I had to go.

I drink a lot of water anyway and I'm trying to add more fiber. I got a high fiber cereal to snack on. I don't like to take laxatives often b/c I never thought it was good for you, but we'll see, if it becomes bothersome I might.

How often is it safe to take a laxative and is it bad for you?

Take Care Chris, Stay Well : )
Sunny1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2008, 06:38 PM   #4
Chrisifix

Thanks Helen and Sunny. Sounds like I will just be that same as I have always been and will just keep doing what I do now for the constipation. I drink alot of water already so I am good to go there. In fact I got into the habit of drinking alot of water several years ago and now you won't catch me without always having a glass of water in front of me and I never go anywhere without grabbing a bottled water as I go out the door. One good habit I do have. I have been taking stool softeners on a daily basis for awhile now (Colace I think)and when things get bad I have to take one of those fast acting laxatives or I have real problems. I take the fleet that works good for me. I have to be real careful because if I get too clogged up it is not a good thing and it makes me miserable and sick.

As far as are laxatives good for you or not I don't know I have heard many stories. I know if you abuse them it is not good and have read that your body will become dependent on them. All I know is that if I need to take them I am because I cannot stand the other.

Chris
Unread 05-22-2008, 06:50 PM   #5
Sunny1

I'm the same way with the water. I can't go anywhere w/o a bottle of water.

I know that coffee gets me going and almost always results in movement. I haven't tried it yet b/c my anxiety is still a little high, but coffee might help if u like it.

In what way does constipation make you feel miserable and sick? I'm curious b/c I'm expecting it to be worse for me now. It's a nuisance to feel like I need to go when I can't, but nothing terrible.

I'm also curious to hear if people feel that way. If they didn't feel the urge on their DOC, just knew they weren't regular and then went on Sub and felt the need to go, but can't. I'm intrigued that I am feeling things on Sub that I didn't feel on DOC hence my detailed interest in this.
Unread 05-22-2008, 07:00 PM   #6
scootergalp

When I first started taking Vicodin(80 a day) I was constipated a lot.This last year after being on it for like 4 years, I went just about everyday. It got to the point where I was able to go at night the same day after taking that many.And it wasn't solid. So 80 vics were going through my system so fast I was already in withdrawels by the end of the day.Maybe that isn't as uncommon as I think,but I thought it was weird. I remember even taking something at night to stop me up just in case I had a little accident in bed during the night. That would be fun to clean up.HAHA

Scott
scootergalp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2008, 07:48 PM   #7
Madison7

I was beginning to not have any contipation on 120mgs of methadone. I think its because 120mgs was no longer a high enough dose. Bup has me more constipated. Much more. Taking ducosate sodium (stool softener).
Madison7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2008, 07:54 PM   #8
Chrisifix

Scott I can't believe that you weren't having any constipation problems and being able to go everyday on 80 vics or any opiate for that matter. If I could only be so lucky! Thats amazing. I am jealous :-). I really believe that men are way different than women with this issue. All the men I know do not have problems with constipation and are acutally the opposite or at least have bowel movements daily or even 2 to 3 times daily. Man, you don't know how bad I wish I was like that.

Sunny I don't think I am a good person for you to compare constipation issues with because I have had this problem for a very very long time with or without opiates. I also have IBS (irritable bowel syndrome). So I really hope you get some good input from others. What I mean by feeling miserable and sick is that if I go too long and I mean like 5 days or more without being able to go that I feel so backed up, so bloated, and feel so full that I have no appetite to eat and feel sick because I have to go so bad and get that crap out of me. I have been dealing with this for so long that I pretty much know what I need to take rather it is good for me or not so I don't let this happen to me. But, it will happen every once and awhile. Feeling like I have to go but I can't like you are experiencing isn't something that happens to me. We are all so different. It cracked me up how you said you are intrigued with this subject constipation. LOL Because I can surely relate. I have no problem discussing it because it is an issue with me. Ok, people don't think I am weird or something. I have to tell you and laugh at the same time that you would be amazed that how many times poop comes up as the conversation at the dinner table rather we have company or not. God, I am sick!! You would fit right in.

Chris
Unread 05-22-2008, 08:48 PM   #9
Sunny1

LOL Chris, I thought it sounded funny when I was writing it too!
Unread 05-23-2008, 01:31 AM   #10
Emptynester

OK, the water idea is good. So is fruit. I have a LOT of experience with constipation as well as the opposite problem.

Eating shredded wheat (strawberry frosted is the best IMO) for one meal helps a lot. Don't overdo it - even on higher does of sub, I'd get the OPPOSITE problems - the runs - when I ate too much; I was snacking on them all night. Bad idea. Too much fiber.

I found personally, after trying EVERYTHING at first - that the very best thing for ME for constipation was milk of magnesia. It is magnesium hydroxide and it is "stimulant free" and so is (supposedly) more natural. It does NOT taste horrible. Cherry flavor, Phillips brand. It does not cause cramping like the other regular capsule or tablet laxatives do (which you should not take too often!); it can get so you cannot go without them.

Another more gentler laxative is something with senna - Sennakot is a brand name. But there are others with senna that are cheaper.

If you like tea - try "Smooth Move" I think it is called. It has senna as well plus some other herbs and stuff.

The important thing is not to let yourself go more than 4 days pr so without going... it's easy for that to happen.

If that does happen - there are suppostories (don't be shy, put 'em up there....! Use a glove if you wish (a medical one, not a ski glove ha ha).

Lots of people have to take meds that way if they can't keep anything down orally due to nausea). These work within 15 minutes to a hour, so you don't have to wait overnight or worse yet, middle of the night.

Constipation can be VERY uncomfortable. I know from experience.
Emptynester is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to Emptynester For This Useful Post:
Thank You (01-19-2011)
Unread 05-23-2008, 01:43 AM   #11
spoint1
Way Cool Member

Cracklin' Oat Bran cereal is good for relieving constipation.....
spoint1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2008, 02:15 AM   #12
Mr. T

If you don't eat right on suboxone you will always be constipated.
If you always constantly take in fiber and let the fiber in the foods you eat build up in your system you should be regular.
Drink in between ten and fifteen 8 ounce glasses of water and eat right and you will never have a problem with this, but it's not easy to always eat right and drink that much water. It takes discipline and a will to live a healthy lifestyle; joining a gym near your house will help you to.
Mr. T is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2008, 02:21 AM   #13
Done

ok here is my advice...lol..never in my life would i have thought i would be giving this kind of advice.

I take ATP Plus (from prohealth) and a their Vit B supplement. I also add zoomba x20 to my water, and i make sure i drink lots and lots of water. I have been doing this for about 5 days now, and i go every morning. I used to take Milk of M...I would be so bloated/cramps....stay at home kind of stuff. I also eat an "atkins" type of diet...some yogart..but NO fruit. Oh and alphodius (the good bacteria).....I drink lots and lots of water, too.

This Am i was "going again" (it the little things in life, right? lol)

This is what works for me

Let us know what works for you..

There are a couple of threads that talk about what people use and what works..for them.

Hope it all comes out in the end.......
Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2008, 06:26 AM   #14
scootergalp

Speaking of suppositories..........not to be gross,but what would happen if we used sub like that? It should get absorbed like that,right? Anyone want to try it and let us know how well it works? :-)

My mouth and jaw get kinda sore keeping that under my tongue and I'm doing it 4 times a day. Plus I already have TMJ so that just makes it feel worse.

So Maybe that's a new way to take it............
Unread 05-23-2008, 03:14 PM   #15
phone

I think this problem is better for me on subs, but I take "renewlife smart cleanse" every couple days. When on narcotics, it was Hard little pebbles, and bloody well bloody at times! Now I go a "healthier" bm, not hard, no blood. I read this, thought, Oh I better take a pill or I'll get clogged, and within 30 mins, I went in a very healthy way. You can get them online or health stores. I swear by them, but others here swear by cheaper options like acidophilus (??) the stuff in yogurt (IS THAT RIGHT?) and/or mangnesium without the calcium. You can also go the pharmacy and get a stimulant laxative in a powder form "glycolax", or it comes in other names. I used to take enemas and stool softeners all the time, but this renewlife smartcleanse does it, and it is all "herbs".
Good luck. No matter what direction you go, go in the direction of water consumption!!
Ember
phone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2008, 03:16 PM   #16
phone

Scooter, not gross and very good question. If I could stick my sub up there, I'd be a LOT happier!! Let us know!!
phone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2008, 05:15 PM   #17
flier1

Scooter,

Yea at least up there we wouldn't have to taste that bitter pill..... Seriously though thanks for all the great advice.

Helen
flier1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2008, 05:22 PM   #18
Chrisifix

Thanks everybody for all the helpful suggestion on what works for you. I am going to have to check out a couple of the things mentioned and see what works best for me. Not the suboxone used as suppository though I will lett someone else try that experiment LOL.

Boy we can sure come up with some weird stuff when we want to can't we?? But oh so fun.

Chris
Unread 05-23-2008, 05:37 PM   #19
Douglas

CONSTITPATION

Happens with all opiates, some worse than others. Personally, during my 12 month stint on Suboxone I had constipation occaisionally off and on.

I've been stating my case for 12 months, the easiest way not to get constipation is in the morning.

What I do is make a cup of coffee, put (or did) 2mg of Suboxone between my cheek and gum. At the end of the dissolving period, I would make sure I had a small crub, chewed it up, and swallowed it. People with a weakness to Suboxone (because of the Naloxone) may not want to do this (headaches).

The reason swallowing a anatagonist controls constipation, is because the digestive tract has opiate receptors. When a small amount of Suboxone, which contains Naloxone, is swallowed, it effects the recepters and allows motility to return. It is advisable to drink at least three 16 OZ of water a day.

My bowel movement is excellent. One day I may miss a movement.

Fortunately, I haven't used Suboxone for 7 days, and feel great. I take 4 Lomotil a day to keep the runs running. I was on Suboxone for 12 months and have been an opiate addict since I was 16. I'm 52 now.

Good Luck for the weak at heart,

Doug

Doug
Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2008, 06:26 PM   #20
scootergalp

Ember........what do you mean by... IF you could stick it up there?

Douglas-Why would trying Suboxone where the sun don't shine be assanine.
I'm not trying to get hi. I just wanna know if it would work correctly doing it that way. Would it be dangerous for any reason?
Unread 05-24-2008, 01:14 AM   #21
Winnie

Chris...you make me laugh....I LOVE TO POO! Seriously, me and my sis are always talking about it. And working in the medical field it is just a regular bodily function. I wish I could 3 times a day!!! But I don't. Also have IBS, and take Amitiza...although with all the lortab I was on it didnt do much good. Had to do a RESCUE poo with a laxative once a week or so. Didn't poo good for 12 days on the meth, but the second day off it I had a glorious one! Sorry if I am grossing anyone out. Haven't gone since Tuesday.....but that isn't too weird for me....talking about it on the internet...that might be weird However, I drink a TON of H20 and have my Senna....Love this topic.
Winnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2008, 03:58 PM   #22
Chrisifix

Oh WINNIE YOU CRACK ME UP!!! We are so much alike. Always good to see you here.

Chris
Unread 05-24-2008, 04:05 PM   #23
momof2boys

For me it hasn't really changed. I have a constipation problem. Its normal for me to go 3 days without. I have told people that and they have freaked out. I have constipation problems all the time but when I am pregnant it is at its worse. When i was pregnant with my first baby I went a total of 8 days without!!! I was miseerable. u was only like 3 months so I am sure it would have been a lot worse if I had a full grown fetus inside me.

Ask your doctor to prescribe you something for it.
i dont do anything for mine. I just go when I feel the need, which isn't often.
momof2boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2008, 09:31 PM   #24
Winnie

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Chrisifix

Oh WINNIE YOU CRACK ME UP!!! We are so much alike. Always good to see you here.

Chris
And I was thinking why NOT take it rectally...they are the same types of tissues...I may just ask my pharmacist. And the under the tongue thing, well it is already annoying...hurts my jaw too!!! And I have not POOPED today, even tho I took 2 Sennas last nite. Other than...DOING FABULOUS. Did my swim....have had a total 0f 6 mgs of Sub today. Feeling good....slept good!!!
Winnie is offline   Reply With Quote