Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 01-09-2008, 03:34 PM   #1
hydra

Default Side Effect... need some advice

Good afternoon. I am new to the site. I have been reading the posts for a few weeks now but finally registered today. I need some help and my doctor doesn't really seem to know much about the proper suboxone dosage for me. I will try to keep this as brief as possible.

I have been using opiates on and off for the past ten years. In the last year i was using every day (15 to 20 10mg/day)or until the pills would run out. If I did run out of the hydro's or perc's I would use Kratom or tramadol to help with the withdrawl symptoms until i could refill my prescription or find more pills. I am sick of quitting and then starting up again. I want the cycle to end so I decided to see a doctor about Suboxone.

When I went to the doctor I was not in withdrawals. I went on January 4th and I had not used anything since December 24th. I began weaning myself off the 2nd week of December. Anyways, here is my problem. The doctor prescribed me 8 mg twice a day. I took my first dose Friday afternoon and I felt very wierd. I felt the way you feel when you are coming down from a high... spacy, and pretty much like I was floating outside of my body. If that makes any sense. I continued the dosage as prescribed and I also experienced itching all over, selling in my fingers, wrists and ankles, difficulty urinating and well the bottom line is a feel 10 times worse than I did before I started. I have been lucky enough to be able to sleep well at night.

I told my doctor about the way I was feeling on Monday and he sounded shocked that I wasn't feeling perfect on the dose I was on and said I could try lowering my dose to 12 mg a day (4 in the morning and 8 at night). I did that yesterday. I know that suboxone has a long half life so I probably won't feel the difference in the lower dose until tomorrow. I was just curious if anyone else experienced anything like this.

Any opinions would be appreciated. Am I taking too much, too little? Could i be having an allergic reaction? I am so glad I found this site. Reading through the posts has really helped me! I want suboxone to work for me. I want to feel good so I can continue going to a counselor and meetings. I just want to feel "normal"... And I had read so many times people taking suboxone take the first dose and feel "normal (whatever that is)... I do not feel normal. Far from it.

Thank you in advance for your input and opinions. Have a great day! - Heidi
hydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2008, 03:43 PM   #2
sarah

hydra,
it sounds to me that your dose is too high based on your sporadic usage. I would ask the doc if you could wait until you begin to feel withdrawal then take 2mgs at a time to find what dose does the trick for you, 16 might be too much. Welcome to the board!!
Sarah
sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2008, 04:41 PM   #3
hydra

Thanks for the response Sarah. My intuition is telling me the dose is too high. I am glad to have your input. I started taking the suboxone because I do not want to replapse again. I am a single mother to a 2 year old little girl. I have too much to lose if I relapse. I know some might wonder why I started sub after I was clean... it is the fear of relapse. I have relapsed so many times, went to inpatient rehab 4 years ago and I just cant keep hurting my family, myself and most importantly my daughter. I want to be the best mother I can b!

My doctor had never started anyone on Sub when they were opiate free so I don't think he really knew how to dose me. I will call my doctor again and see if it is ok if I do what you said.

Thanks again for your advice.
H
Unread 01-09-2008, 04:43 PM   #4
Indy

Hi Hydra,
itching and swelling is a reaction to something.If this is the only med you take then that would be the first thing to look at.If not then you should look at the others too.But your writing leads me to believe that the reaction happened pretty close to taking it.Meds are funny-not really but you can all of a sudden start having a reaction to whatever even years into taking them.
I've been on sub for about 5 weeks now.It has taken time,because I still felt crappy after starting.Now it has gotten better kind of 2 steps forward and 1 back-but I'm gaining.Everyone's experience is different.I was pretty bummed out that I didn't have the quick change like I read about-but it's o.k.I'm just slower then a lot-but I knew that.
I don't have any advice on your dose-I take what I need to stay ahead of wd's.
Good luck...
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2008, 04:46 PM   #5
NancyB
Administrator

Hi hydra and welcome.

Here's something from the TIP40, pdf page 80:

Patients Not Physically Dependent on Opioids
Patients who are not physically dependent on opioids but who have a known history of opioid addiction, have failed other treatment modalities, and have a demonstrated need to cease the use of opioids, may be candidates for buprenorphine treatment. Patients in this category will be the exception rather than the rule, however. Other patients in this category would be those recently released from a controlled environment who have a known history of opioid addiction and a high potential for relapse.

Patients who are not physically dependent on opioids should receive the lowest possible dose (2/0.5 mg) of buprenorphine/naloxone for induction treatment.

http://www.naabt.org/links/TIP_40_PDF.pdf

I hope that helps. Let us know what your doctor says.

Nancy
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2008, 04:49 PM   #6
hydra

Indy I also take 100 mg of zoloft (for depression and anxiety) and 10g of norvasc (for high blood pressure). I have been on both meds for quite a while. I appreciate you saying that you didn't have the immediate reaction like so many others do. I am glad to hear you are feeling better! I definitely feel better today than I did over the weekend. Again, thank you Indy for your response. I really appreciate it.
Unread 01-09-2008, 04:53 PM   #7
hydra

Hi Nancy. Thank you for the welcome and your response. I have been searching all over the internet for something along the lines of the post you sent me. I am going to go read it right now. I know that I am one of the few that have chosen to start sub when I am opiate free. My doctor is a nice guy and really wants to help. I just think he didn't have any experience with someone in asimlar situation to mine so he did the best he could. Thanks again. I am feeling much better after reading the reponses to my post. I am so glad I found this website and decided to post. I will keep you posted on my progress.
Unread 01-09-2008, 04:59 PM   #8
NancyB
Administrator

Hi again, If your doctor is so inclined, there's a physician mentoring organization for certified physicians:

Physician Clinical Support System (PCSS).
A National Mentoring Network for Physicians Treating Opioid Dependence.

What is the PCSS?

The SAMHSA-funded PCSS is designed to assist practicing physicians, in accordance with the Drug Addiction Treatment Act of 2000, in incorporating into their practices the treatment of prescription opioid and heroin dependent patients using buprenorphine. The PCSS service is available, at no cost, to interested physicians and staff, to assist in implementing office-based treatment of opioid dependence with buprenorphine. The essential elements of the PCSS are a national network of trained physician mentors with expertise in buprenorphine treatment and skilled in clinical education, who will be supported by National experts in the use of buprenorphine and a medical director. Click here for more about PCSS.

Phone: 877.630.8812 Brochure email: PCSSproject@asam.org site: PCSSmentor.org

PCSS Clinical Guidelines.
PCSS disclaimer
Disclaimer for PCSS Clinical Guidances The PCSS Clinical Guidances have been developed as a resource for interested physicians, but the PCSS program is only a vehicle for the sharing of knowledge and information; it is not a referral mechanism. While it is expected that inquiries presented to mentoring physicians will be based on fact patterns related to actual cases, remarks and opinions from mentoring physicians should be understood as being general in nature and not directed at a specific patient or case. Opinions and counsel from a mentor should not be used as a substitute for the opinion, judgment, and knowledge of the treating physician. No physician-patient or other relationship, expressed or implied, is created between a mentoring physician and any patient by virtue of participation in the PCSS program.
------------

It may be something that he doesn't know about and might want to consider finding out about?

Nancy
Unread 01-09-2008, 05:05 PM   #9
hydra

I will give him the information and hopefully, if there is a day in the future where someone in a similar situation to mine needs help, he will know what to do!
Unread 01-09-2008, 05:19 PM   #10
lookingup

If you were opiate free for ten days and not in terrible agony, I would think you could get by on 2mg/day quite nicely. Maybe 1mg am and another mg later in the day, this will help to even things out. At that dosage you would substantially reduce many of the side effects. Sub is sold in Europe as Temgesic for pain in .2mg pills, it is a very powerful opiate. Less is more with sub.
lookingup is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2008, 05:37 PM   #11
hydra

After all the reading and research I did on sub I thought for sure the doc would put me on 2 - 4 mg a day. But I was so wrong. I didn't want to say anything to him about it because he is the doctor after all. Thanks for the advice lookin! I am so excited to figure out the best dose for me so I can be stablized and start feeling good for the first time in a long time!
Unread 01-09-2008, 06:19 PM   #12
mikejacks

Yes, I would try 2mg and see how you are. That is classic opiate too much syndrome...lol. But really when you take too much of an opiate it can cause that itching etc. I am surprised he gave you that much to start. You want to take a little as possible, that way when you are ready to stop taking it you wont have to taper forever. Less is best with the sub, you came to beat your addition not start a new one, tell your doc.
mikejacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2008, 07:23 PM   #13
hydra

Good point Mike. I certainly do not want to start a new addiction. I must admit, I have felt somewhat high ever since I started taking the Sub so I knew something wasn't right. But when you call your doctor and tell him how you are feeling and he acts as if you are nuts and tells you that it is impossible to get high on suboxone... well then you begin to think you might be nuts. LOL I will say this though, the high I have felt for the past few days has not been a pleasant ephoric one, more like the I am tweaked out because I have taken too many of whatever drug feeling. Does that make sense? Anyhow I am rambling now. Sorry! Thanks again for the warm welcome and the input. Just reading these comments is helping me feel alot better...
Unread 01-09-2008, 08:58 PM   #14
lookingup

Hydra,

It makes perfect sense, it is not a feel good drug. If sub gave you the euphoric feeling that other opiates do, it would not be a valuable tool for recovery. It is just these properties that make it possible to take sub without the overwhelming desire to increase your dose. This gives us the basis for a taper, which does not usually work with other opiates. You will feel more of the euphoria at the 2mg/day and under level, one of the reasons it becomes more difficult to taper at the lower dosages, IMO. This is where you need to go slow and use the coping tools you have learned from counseling etc. If you give into this euphoria by increasing the dosage, it will disappear, replaced with some of what you are feeling now. Kind of self-regulating.
Unread 01-09-2008, 09:11 PM   #15
Douglas

Welcome my friend Hydra,

Now IMO, there is an adjustment period going from opiates to Suboxone. For some people it takes a few days, for other a week or two. Ten years is a long time, but in time, I feel your body will adjust to the Suboxone and you will feel just fine.

Just give it some time. We all want immediate fixes, unfortunately the world of opiates doesn't work that way.

Douglas
Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2008, 09:38 PM   #16
hydra

Thanks lookin and Doug. I feel like I can't stop saying Thank you. LOL. I am really so appreciative to have somewhere to go where I can read posts from people who understand what I am going through. It is such a great feeling. I think most of us go throughout our lives without having friends and family that truly understand opiate addiction and what it can do to a person. I am so glad we all kind find that support system here if we can't find it anywhere else.

I understand this won't be a quick fix. There is no such thing. It is unfortunate that my doc put me on such a high dose to start but I am not giving up. I want this so bad!!!! I have to do this for myself and like I mentioned earlier, my beautiful daughter. She deserves to have a mother than can give her undivided attention and love!

So my doc told me to reduce my dose to 12mg (a 4mg reduction)... should I call him again and tell him what you all have said? Or should I try the 12 mg until my next appointment on Friday the 18th? I know that it is part of my addiction where I like to do things on my terms and the way I want to. Would I be doing a bad thing by telling him that I think the dose is too high? Should I try it out at the 12 mgs for week and see how it goes? I so badly just want to do what is right and best for me. I have made mistakes in the past by not listening to the advice of medical professionals, thinking I know better than they do. I just don't want to do that. But on the other hand, I am not really sure that my doctor even knows what he needs to do with me as far as dosage goes. The fact that I was opiate free when I came in to see him threw him for a loop!

Here I go rambling again. SORRY! Thanks again everyone. I really look forward to getting to know everyone better.
Unread 01-09-2008, 09:42 PM   #17
NancyB
Administrator

Hi hydra, did you have a chance to show/tell your doctor the protocol from the TIP40? That may be helpful in his guiding you to the right dose. If you do decide to take the 12mg, please think about writing down how you feel so he knows exactly what is going on.

Are your pupils pinpoint or regular. Pinpoint oftentimes means that there's enough or in some cases too much bupe.

Nancy
Unread 01-09-2008, 09:58 PM   #18
hydra

Hi Nancy. No I have not spoke to him yet. He usually returns my call after 5pm so hopefully I will talk to him tonight. I was just second guessing myself and wondering if I should just stick it out at 12mg until my appointment. I am not to trusting of myself so I am questioning all of my thoughts and feelings etc... In case you can't tell. LOL.

That is a great idea to write down how I am feelling after I dose. I will do that for sure.

Oh and my pupils seem to be normal size. I looked at my boss's eyes and then mine and they seem about the same. The definitely are not pin point.

Thanks for listening to me all day! I am sure once I am on the right dose I won't be such a pest.
Unread 01-09-2008, 10:11 PM   #19
lookingup

I think it is important to be on the same page as your DR. If you can't come to an agreement that both of you are comfortable with, time to look for another Dr. Run through a few Drs. and it's time to talk to yourself. That said, dosage needs to be changed with some thought and planning. With your Drs. approval, you could probably drop 4mg to get down to 8mg, then wait a couple of weeks and drop to 4mg. At some point you will start to feel the drops, that is when you need to slow down and listen to your body. Drop at a comfortable level, more in the beginning, less later on. If cravings pop up it is time to stop and evaluate. This is going to take a little while, but it will work out fine for most people. Use this time to get your recovery program in order, counseling, na-aa, whatever you decide to do.
Unread 01-09-2008, 10:32 PM   #20
hydra

Good point. I do need to be on the same page with my doctor. Thanks for the advice. I will let you know how things are going as I progress. Have a great night!
Unread 01-09-2008, 11:57 PM   #21
notgoinback

hydra, welcome and congrats for making a huge step to turn your life around. In time you will be stabilized and on the road to recovery. Just so you know, asking questions does not make you a pest. Keep us updated on your progress, Good Luck!

Brian
notgoinback is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2008, 12:04 AM   #22
hydra

Thanks Brian. I am not someone who talks openly about my drug use so it does feel a little strange to have a place where I can ask all the questions I want and not worry about being judged or feeling like I am a pest. I will for sure keep you posted! Thanks much!
Unread 01-10-2008, 01:16 AM   #23
endzonewife

Hydra, Hello and welcome! Doesn't it feel soo good to have a whole bunch of people that you CAN talk to? We all understand how you feel and most have been in your shoes before. Ask all the questions you have. Share your concerns and your successes too. This board helps us all. The good and the bad, we are all learning and that is the whole point, Right? You will not be judged here! And you will find the answers and support you need, and maybe help others along the way! So happy to have you here!
Michelle
endzonewife is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2008, 02:46 PM   #24
hydra

Hi Michelle. Yes it is so awesome to have people I can talk to and I know they will understand! Thanks for the warm welcome. I will let you know how my new dose is working once I an feel the difference.
Unread 01-10-2008, 04:33 PM   #25
NancyB
Administrator

Hi hydra, oh by no means are you a pest! Questions are good.

If you didn't see it, we have chat every Tuesday, Thursday, and Sunday.
http://www.naabt.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4662

Maybe we'll 'see' you there, if you're so inclined.

Nancy
Unread 01-10-2008, 07:27 PM   #26
hydra

What you say makes total sense. I think my doctor is very caring and wants to help but like you said is just inexperienced and trying to go by the book. I am going to schedule my appointment for sometime mid week next week. I am going to talk to him about the dose and also tell him about the website here. I also want to talk to him to see if he will prescribe subutex. After reading about those that are sensitive to the naxolene I think I may be one the few. I am one of those people who have been allergic to medicines, foods, animals, bugs and just about anyting outside. So it wouldn't surprise me if part of the reason I am feeling so crappy has to do with a slight allergic reaction. It doesn't hurt to ask I suppose. Thanks for sharing you experience with me. It does seem that we had very similar induction experiences. I am glad to hear you are stablized now.
Unread 01-11-2008, 07:12 PM   #27
lookingup

I was one of my sub Drs first patients. He told me he would not write tex, period. It made me feel like a drug-seeker for asking. It has been seven months and I may ask him about it later in my taper, but some Drs are very paranoid about it. It is only supposed to be there to prevent IV use and many people feel that their Dr should not think they are an IV risk. I think Drs are also worried about diversion, IE us selling our sub to people who might. I think it is nonsense, but you should be aware of how he "might" feel about the subject. Pharm company line is that the nax is not absorbed the way we take our sub, but there is plenty of debate over that. Are you spitting after you melt?
Unread 01-11-2008, 08:56 PM   #28
hydra

Hi lookingup! I have been reading through old posts and learning so much. I see that the Suboxone vs. Subutex has been a hot topic / debate. I have been spitting for the past 2 doses. I am still trying to master that art. LOL. I don't want to feel like a drug seeker that is for sure. I am oh so used to that feeling. HA! HA! If I am still having the itching, swelling, rash on Wednesday I am going to mention it to my doctor. Hopefully I will not per percieved as a drug seeker. I can show him the rash I have and also the scratch marks on my back, arms and legs. I itch so bad I bleed. Also my face is swollen and around my eyes. So my gut says I am probably one who is sensitive to the nax. I am hypersenstive to so many things. For example, the last CT scan I had they used the Iodine IV contrast and i went into anaphylactic shock and I almost died. A simple CT skan put me in the hospital for two days. So it wouldn't come as a shock to me if I was allergic to somehting else.
I came on line this afternoon to post that I am starting to feel better. I am sticking with doctors orders and taking 12 mg a day. I realize this may be a higher dose than I need but I believe I said earlier that one thing I promised was that I would not adjust the dose without talking with him first. I decided not to bug him again and just stick with the 12mg rather than the 16 mg until I saw him next week. But I think I am starting to feel the effects of the lower dose. I do not feel great by any means but the fog seems to be clearing and I have hope that this SUB treatment will work for me once I am stablelized.
I am so thankful I have all of you here for support. Happy Friday!
Unread 01-14-2008, 08:58 PM   #29
xoveranalyticalx

Hydra, I come from a sort of similar situation. Just keep in mind that even good doctors can make dosing mistakes, especially with quirky pills like suboxone. If my body says one thing and my doctor says another, I listen to my body. My body tells me that more than 4mg makes me really sick and I feel really off/itchy/can't pee. My doctor tells me to take 16mg. I listened to my body and I've been on 4mg for over a year now, doing well.

Also, I had the same issues with suboxone vs. subutex. I swapped to subutex and it helped a bit. However, my doc accidentally wrote me a script for suboxone once and once i was back on at a lower dose, I did fine with suboxone too...
xoveranalyticalx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2008, 09:47 PM   #30
hydra

Thanks Xover. I am feeling much better. Every day I feel better. I still think my dose is too high but I the itching has lightened up. That has been the toughest side effect for me to deal with. But just as you said, once I lowered my dose the side effect lessened. I have a doctors appointment tomorrow. I am still thinking about asking if I can switch to Subutex. I will see how receptive my doctor is to the idea. Thanks again for your comments. It is nice to hear that the smaller the dose, the less the side effecs.
Unread 01-18-2008, 09:42 AM   #31
xoveranalyticalx

From my experience with myself and some friends, doctors can be nit-picky about switching to subutex from suboxone because subutex has more potential for abuse, lacking the naloxone. It wasn't until I actually referred my doctor to THIS website so show that many people fair better with subutex than suboxone in relation to side effects that he was open to let me try it out under the condition I let him count my pills when I come in for checkups so he can make sure I'm not abusing them or selling them. If switching to subutex is something you want to do I'd recommend arming yourself to the teeth with documentation to show that some people DO have problems with the naloxone is suboxone. Print out some of these forum posts on it, refer him to the website or any studies you can find that show naloxone IS present in the bloodstream (slighly) when taken as prescribed. I've dealt with 3 seperate doctors during my therapy with suboxone/subutex and each of the three doctors has given me different information about the drug.

xoveranalyticalx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2008, 01:50 PM   #32
samothe
Banned

hydra, just thought I'd check in to see how you were doing while I'm home for a few days. I see the Subutex switching has come up. I can't see why a doctor would have an issue with it, particularly with your history (as I recall is somewhat similar to mine-limited strictly to pills). Maybe I'm giving doctors too much credit here, but I think they can generally tell if someone would be likely to abuse the drug, which I believe involves shooting it, but if your Dr. is relatively new it may be a bit harder for him to get over the "stigma" we all face. Good luck ~samothe
samothe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2008, 05:22 PM   #33
hydra

Hey Xover. You are right about the subutex and doctors being afraid to prescribe it. I didn't ask my doctor directly for the Subutex but I did tell him about the side effects I have been suffering from: swelling, severe itching / rash etc... He offered to prescribe me an antihistimine or something like Zyrtec. I told him I take Benadryl as needed. Actually the itching has gotten alot better. I am still dealing with the swelling but it is not unbearable. He wan't to see me back in two weeks. I think when I go back I will do as you suggested and show him this website. Great idea.

Samothe, thanks for checking in. I really appreciate it. I think my doctor is new to prescibing suboxone and probably doesn't understand it that well. That is just my assumption. And yes my history is very similar to yours.

I am happy to have suboxone. I will deal with the side effects I have and hope they will get better as I lower each dose. I am now taking 8 mg a day. I have been doing 4 in the morning and 4 at night because taking all 8 in the morning makes me really tired. I hope all is well with you Samothe. Let me know how you are doing when you have a chance. Have a great weekend.
Unread 01-18-2008, 06:52 PM   #34
chrisy

Hi I am so glad I found this forum.I started suboxone december 31st.I am currently taking 24mg/day.I am doing well except for some severe pain in my shoulder joints and knees.The pain hits when I am asleep.accompanied with my hands falling asleep,barely able to get up,once I get up and move it eases up,this started 4th day into the suboxone.Anyone else have this?Thank you for any insight you can give.
chrisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2008, 08:09 PM   #35
Douglas

Hydra,

I don't know it anyone mentioned this, but you might want to give Benadryl a try. It will cut down the itching, and the rashes.

That use to happen to me with Codeine, I would take a couple of benadryl, and my symptoms would slowly disappear. Anyother name for it is Diphenhydramine (generic). Both work just as good, so get the generic, it's a lot cheaper.

LOL, Douglas
Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2008, 09:18 PM   #36
hydra

Thanks for the advice Doug. I find Benadryl does help but it makes me sleepy. The nice thing is that the spitting method has really worked well for me. I believe the spitting with the lowered dose has helped alleviate some of the side effects. WOO HOO!
Thanks again!
Unread 01-23-2008, 08:10 PM   #37
cad1214

I have been on Suboxone for a few months now. I used it to get off of methadone and I wanted to tell you that if you were not in withdrawl it may make things worse depending on your body. I tried to get a girlfriend of mine on sub and she just couldnt take it, vomiting, and even went thru IR( irreverseable withdrawl). Sorry spelling sucks but anyways , ya the point of getting on Sub is to prevent withdrawl and if you never had any in the first place it may not be for you.
cad1214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2008, 10:32 PM   #38
hydra

Thanks for the post CAD. I understand what you are saying and it does seem odd to many that I would have choseb to go on sub after I had made it through withdrawals.

I did suffer through withdrawals. I did it cold turkey and white-knuckled through it. I have done this numerous times and decided with my doctor that it would be best for me to try suboxone out. I don't have any more relapses left, I have a 2 year old daughter that needs a sober mother.

I made an educated decision to use suboxone as a tool of recovery so I can get the therapy I need without having to deal with cravings and relapse. Suboxone is not just to prevent withdrawals, for me it is also a useful pill to help me work through my issues.

Good luck in your recovery. I am sorry to hear your girlfriend got so sick. Lucky for me I am now feeling much better!
Unread 01-24-2008, 05:35 PM   #39
trish

Hi Hydra,
I started on suboxone over a month ago, 8mg a day..then went to 8mg in the morning and 8 at night. i experienced many of the same symptooms you describe..on that high of a dose i have alot of swelling in my legs and feet..smoked alot more cigs (like i do when im on opiates). i too went on the sub after being clean for about 2 weeks b/c i've struggled with this addiction for over 10 years too.. i get clean time, 6 mos, 3 mos, 1 year, 4 mos, 1 year...etc, etc, and continue to relapse..and i have an 8 year old daughter that means the world to me.. and i could lose her this would break my hear. pple that aren't addicts dont get it .. they figure then why do u pick up if the consequences are so great..anyway like u i went on it to hopefully get and stay clean.. the dr switched me to subutex.. but just reading your posts i still think im on too high a dose b/c i've gotten to the place where i think i cant handle the lethargy and still slight swelling.. im on between 4-8mg a day.. i mostly take 8. perhaps i should switch to 2 mg before throwing in the towel..
wow thx everyone.. oh also, im confused about the subutex should i be spitting on that too like the suboxone???
trish
trish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2008, 07:33 PM   #40
hydra

Hi Trish. It is nice to hear from someone in a situation very similar to mine. I haven't heard of many who have started suboxone after they had gone through withdrawals. You and I seem to be on the sub for the same reasons. Thanks for sharing with me.

Yes it is true that others who aren't addicts don't understand how we can continue to take pills when we know we could lose so much. My family stuggles to understand that. I try to explain the best I can but I still dont' know they get it.

I love my daughter more than I have ever loved anything in this world. Although I was still abusing pills after she was born, she truly changed my life for the better.

I am a single mother and I have always thought I was being a good mother to her because I would take good care of her, bath her, feed her, play with her and love her. But then one day it hit me that driving with her in the car after I have popped 10 pills or taking 20 pills on a weekend night to veg out, well I realized I wasn't being a good mother if I were putting my child in any danger not matter how big or small the danger seemed to be. So I turned to suboxone and i am so glad I did.

I am sorry to hear that you are still have some issues on suboxone. I am no expert but I would suggest spitting even when you take the subutex. I have read some posts her that say to spit even with subutex since your body doesn't need that crap anyways. I am sure others will give you their opinions on the subject.

I would talk to your doctor and ask if you can lower your dose. What would it hurt? I say the less you have to take the better. I am feeling pretty good on 8mg but I am ready to drop next doctor visit.

I am glad you sticking with the suboxone for now. We just have too much to lose if we were to relapse again.

Let me know how you are doing.
Unread 01-26-2008, 03:59 AM   #41
secret

Hi all
This is my first post. I have been on suboxone since the week b4 x-mas. I started checking out this website a while b4 that though. My addiction to oxy and now my treatment with suboxone is all a secret to everyone. My boyfriend, my family, coworkers, ect., so i really dont have anyone to talk to or ask question too. This last thread got my attention because everyone is talking about "spitting" ??? What are u talking about? I probably sound stupid for asking but it's the first time i heard the term. I love reading everyones postings and not feeling like I am the only one out there with problems.
secret is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2008, 09:33 PM   #42
hydra

Hi Secret. You should start your own thread for your post. I certainly don't mind you posting on my thread (I don't want you to think I am being rude But your post is hidden away in my thread an nobody knows that it is here to help you. If you click on the NEW TOPIC section you can start your own thread. That way everyone that logs on can see you have posted a question.

Welcome to the board. Best wishes to you in your recovery.
Unread 01-29-2008, 07:16 AM   #43
Jennyg

hydra i think i am having similiar reaction to the suboxone as you initially did ...are you doing better now? i put up a topic titled day 3 if you get a chance can you take a look thankyou .......jennyg
Jennyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2008, 12:56 AM   #44
hydra

I think that one on one therapy is going to help me immensely. I have been through inpatient treatment but I never had one on one counseling and I think that is something I have always needed. I am nervous and excited about it all at the same time if you know what I mean.

I felt so bad for my little doggie. He was truly my best friend. He was a HUGE part of my sobriety at the time. I even name if after the rehab I went to, Milam was his name. I went to Lakeside Milam Recovery in Seattle. The good thing is he is in a home with another terrier about his size and two kids. The mom is a stay at home mom so he is never really alone. I feel better knowing that he is in a good home. But I still miss him to this day. Ok sorry I am rambling about my dog now. LOL.

Welcome home.
Heidi