Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 11-02-2005, 08:00 PM   #51
VIPERFPG

HELLO TO ALL****

TO THE FOLLOWING WONDERFUL PEOPLE WHO HAVE RESPONDED WITH SUCH CARE---KNOWLEDGE--COMPASSION---AND WITH NON JUDGEMENT---OF ME--
[u]DR.WILL---GWEN---SPANKY----LEEGLEGLE----</u>

AS YOU GUYS KNOW I HAD FIRST SUB APPT--YESTERDAY FOR MY ACCESSMENT AND THEN BACK TODAY FOR MY FIRST DOSE---I HAD TO GO 23 HOURS--AND THAT WAS FLAT OUT (HELL)----VERY SICK---BUT WITHIN 20MINS OF HAVING 4MG I WAS MUCH BETTER---THEN THEY GAVE ME ANOTHER 4MG AND WOW I HAD NOT FELT THIS GOOD IN WEEKS---
THEN I WENT THROUGH A CLASS--AND START MY NIGHTLY CLASSES TOMORROW NIGHT---THEY GAVE ME MY SCRIPT---WHICH I WILL TAKE IN HALVES ---I WILL BE TAKING 12MG A DAY FOR 1 WEEK AND THEN TAPER DOWN OVER A 4 WEEK TOTAL TIME FRAME---
JUST WANTED TO GIVE YOU THE DETAILED UPDATE OF EVERYTHING--BECAUSE EACH OF YOU HAVE BEEN ALL SO ENCOURAGING AND INSPIRING TO ME DURING THE NIGHTMARE OF THIS ADDICTION-------ALL OF YOU REALLY HELPED ME TO TAKE THIS STEP----YOU HAVE ALL BEEN SUCH A BLESSING---
I HOPE THAT I CAN AT SOMETIME MAYBE INSPIRE SOMEONE ELSE--
I WANTED YOU TO KNOW AND NOT LEAVE YOU GUYS HANGING ABOUT THE STATUS OF MY LIFE--
I WILL BE DOING NA MEETINGS ALSO--
I LOOK FORWARD TO EACH DAY---FOR THE FIRST TIME IN A LONG TIME I HAVE HOPE FOR THE FUTURE..
I HOPE THAT TODAY FINDS EACH OF YOU WITH A GREAT---DAY--AND FOR ANYONE WHO HAS HAD A RUFF DAY, THE WAY MINE STARTED OUT---
BUT IT WILL GET BETTER---
AGAIN I CAN'T THANK EACH OF YOU ENOUGH--
I HOPE TO HEAR ANY OF YOUR DIRECTION ETC SOON--
AND BELIEVE ME IF ANYONE IS READING THAT'S WANTS TO TALK OR WHATEVER PLEASE DO SO..
NOW TO CONNIE--I HAD A VIRUS AND WAS NOT ABLE TO USE EMAIL FOR A FEW DAYS--I WILL RESPOND SOON--
CONNIE YOU SOUND LIKE A WONDERFUL PERSON---AND YOU CAN TAKE THESE STEPS---
I HAVE YOU IN MY THOUGHTS AND PRAYERS AND WILL EMAIL SOON--

WELL ENOUGH OF ME GOING ON AND ON---
THANKS SO MUCH FOR EVERYTHING
GOD BLESS ALL
AND I WILL POST AGAIN SOON
VIPERFPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2005, 10:01 PM   #52
spanky

VIPERFPG So glad to hear all is going well and the beautiful thing is it only gets better from here.It really sucks when that WD monster is looking over your shoulder , makes it hard to find peace.I trust that you were comfortable with your Dr.?I expect nothing but positive post from you from here on.Remember you are in my prayers.Here's to recovery and God's good graces!....Spanky
spanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2005, 10:29 PM   #53
gwen

viperfpg- you did it! and you feel good. i was hoping to hear those words from you today. i am smiling ear to ear for you right now. so happy, so proud, so very very grateful that you feel as i did my first day and still do. that hopefulness. looking forward to each day. a new day.

and i'm sure you are already an inspiration to many reading these posts.

get some rest and please let us know how you feel tomorrow and how the class goes tomorrow night.

with much peace, hope and love
gwen
gwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2005, 02:01 AM   #54
leeglegle

Penny
Every day will be better than the last day
You'll soon be at the point when you can't wait to wake up because you'll know how great your day is going to be
I'm with you and constantly wishing you well
Welcome to the family of happy people
LOL
leeglegle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2005, 09:36 AM   #55
dodo

Hi! I too just started on Suboxone and am very happy with what I am experiencing. I only wish I had started sooner. The addiction to pain killers was a vicious cycle. I came clean to my husband too and that made me feel so much better too. Some questions for you guys: If you don't mind me asking, how much did you have to pay for your initial visit? Insurance does not pay for this? How long is the shortest amount of time anyone has been on this without going through withdraw? I am on day 4 and am on 8mg a day. Thank You!
dodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2005, 10:07 AM   #56
estaban

hi guys, i just joined this site acouple of days ago.i have been on the suboxone now for 2 years,prior to that i had 15 years of sobriety.at this point in time i am on 3 mgs,not sick but feeling pretty run down.i know this sounds bad but i would just like to go back up to about 8mgs. and live my life.on maintenance i never felt high and i never thought about getting high.just a godsend,because sobriety was hard for me ,i allways felt like something was hovering over me waiting to come down again.i have hep b&c ,i am 56 years old and have a great life.i don't want to go thru treatment anymore and i don't know if i have any more withdrawals in me just want to feel "good" like about a year ago thats my story today god bless us everyone Estaban
estaban is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2005, 11:56 AM   #57
Jake

<div align="left">Hi estaban,
There are doctors that will put you on maintenance at 8mg. forever.Here's what scientists think...One can argue that the opiate addict has a deficiency in the endogenous opioid system such that he or she feels uncomfortable without the help of prescribed opioids. In this model, methadone is analogous to prednisone for adrenal insufficiency or thyroxine for thyroid insufficiency. Although it is not yet possible to measure the integrity of the endogenous opioid system as we can for the adrenal or thyroid systems, there are clinical findings that support this scenario. Perhaps the best data are the numbers of former heroin addicts who are able to lead successful lives while being maintained with methadone for years, yet they cannot function when their medication is discontinued</div id="left">
Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2005, 01:22 PM   #58
dodo

Gwen thanks for welcoming me to this site. I have read alot of these posts and agree with you guys about the withdraw. One of you said this allows us to get off of the pills at our pace and without the WD symptoms. If it wasn't for the withdraw everyone of us would have been off of the pills a long time ago, I'm sure! I feel so lucky to be on this medicine. I haven't felt like this in I don't remember when. I'm actually enjoying sitting with my husband and kids now and just being happy watching a movie together. That constant counting of pills and where and how am I going to get the next ones from is GONE!!! What a nightmare I've woken up from! The past five years of my life I've been on vics. The past 2 years though were the worst!!! The hiding and lying is gone! What a relief. I'm currently looking for a good counselor. I am taking all of this minute by minute and day by day. Thanks again!
Unread 11-04-2005, 03:33 PM   #59
gwen

dodo, oh you're very welcome. i agree with you. if it weren't for the withdrawals, it would have been so much easier for me, once i made my mind up to want to be drug-free and be normal again. when you're looking for a counselor, make sure you're comfortable with him/her. i went to a couple of different ones before i found the one i'm with now. non-judgemental, not over-sympathetic. pretty much a straight shooter. but has compassion and very easy to talk with and BE HONEST WITH. he also directed me to a good group session. i couldn't do the NA/AA gig. and i did go to a few different ones. but for various reasons, i just didn't feel comfortable. i don't know if you're doing group sessions, but you might want to try. hey, you might find a good, comfortable NA/AA in your area. i went more often at the beginning and now go to groups every 2 or 3 weeks. sometimes i just don't have time, because i'm doing things now i lost interest in when i was using.
i'm so glad you're enjoying the little things again too.
peace-
gwen
Unread 11-10-2005, 02:50 AM   #60
phogan7215

Hi everyone,

I am new to the site. I just wanted to share my experience with suboxone. I am a 30+ married working mother of 2 beautiful but wild boys. (3yr and 6yr) My occupation of all things is pharmaceutical sales with a nursing degree. I knew better than anyone the risks of addiction with pain meds. In fact for years I took pain med for endometriosis and fibromyalgia for short periods as directed. Unfortunately for the past 2 1/2 years I have abused them for one reason or another. My job is very demanding as well as having two small children. I found that I could get so much done when I was using. That is until it got completely out of control and took over my every thought. I went to rehab this past March and again in April but I did not complete it. I am a very educated person and I researched addiction and treatment. Fortunately, I read about suboxone and knew that it was for me. However, I live in Mississippi and finding someone who believed in this treatment was almost impossible. In fact the physiscian that is treating me now has little experience with this drug. He is an addictionologist (?) but comes for the school of thought that abstinence is the only treatment. I have been on suboxone for about 4 mths. All I can say is it is a miracle drug (treatment). I was taking 20-30 10mg lortabs a day. I was able to start suboxone and in fact I only take 4mg a day. I started at a higher dose but got so nauseated. For, anyone reading this, if you get sick please try and change the dose before giving up. I have been able to go back to work full-time and take care of my kids and family with no problems. I feel normal for the first time in years. What really concerns me is that people have to suffer just because AA and NA teach abstinence. In fact my best friend has been turned down from treatment because she is taking suboxone. This to me is such a tragedy! What are physicians afraid of. The only thing I can think of is less people will need inpatient rehab and that equals a lot of money. Anyway, I just hope if someone out there is reading this and are stuggling with addiction, they will find a physician who prescribes suboxone. It has saved my life. My only concern is that my physician will stop writing for me. He is trying to make me commit to 3 AA/NA meetings a week. I know it works and they have a good message for anyone addict or not, but it is just not for me at this time. I am doing well and will help anyone I can. I have enjoyed reading many of your post.

God Bless,
MS
phogan7215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2005, 08:18 PM   #61
gwen

phogan7215, hello and welcome! thank you so much for sharing your experience. it is such good advice about not giving up and trying a different dose. we're all learning from each other here and we all know, addiction can happen to anyone. now, about the na/aa thing. as i've posted in different sections here, i don't go to either one. not my type of group. i was lucky and found an addiction support group at a privately owned clinic near me and it's a great group of people. Caroline - who's a doctor and posts quite often - had these alternatives when the discussion about aa/na came up:

If you find the philosophies of NA/AA objectionable, there are other support groups that are not based upon the idea of spritual growth. A few are:
1. Rational Recovery (RR), a cognitive-behavioral approach.
2. Secular Organization for Sobriety (SOS), places emphasis on personal responsibility and critical thinking.
3. Women For Sobriety (WFS), for women with emphasizes on gender and self-esteem.
These support groups are not as abundant as NA/AA groups, thus it may be difficult to locate a group near you.

(from the unsure about my doctor section.) perhaps there's something like that near you which you can substitute for na/aa if he keeps pressuring you. 3 times a week seems a bit much too, with 2 little ones and a demanding job.

what kind of treatment was your friend turned down for? i know na requires complete abstinence. which doesn't make sense when one is taking a medication for a medical condition. but that's just one of the reasons...

once again welcome and thanks!
peace-
gwen
Unread 11-14-2005, 06:20 AM   #62
cnjsmom1111

Hi everyone. I am new to this site and haven't started on any type of program, but am actually feeling hopeful reading everyone's posts. I have been to rehab twice and it was dreadful. I have tried to detox myself off hydrocodone dozens of time, but never successful. Being a single mother of 2 wonderful boys and owning my own business, I just dont have the time to be sick and dont have family support. I am now up to a 50-60 10mg Norco a day Norco habit and am scared I'm going to die if I dont get help now. My question for everyone is....will this medication help someone that is taking such high doses of hydrocodone? I'm also wondering exactly how I'm going to feel day 1, day 2, day 3, etc. so I can plan ahead since I have kids to take care of and a business to run and in the past, detoxing cold turkey had me down for at least 4 days physically, then I had to jump back in with all my responsibilities, which almost killed me, so I went back on the pills again. Any comments or feedback will be so helpful. Thanks.
cnjsmom1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2005, 10:01 AM   #63
dodo

HI cnjsmom1111! I found this has helped me tremendously! You will feel absolutey normal in about 30 to 45 minutes after your first dose, maybe even sooner. The doctor will not let you leave until you do feel fine. To answer your question about being on 50 to 60 hydros a day, YES, Suboxone will help. As far as planning ahead on how you will feel so you can plan your days ahead, you'll be able to go back to work the next day. You probably could go back the same day if you wanted to. I personally didn't go back for a couple of days just because I was such a mess, overtaken with quilt. I felt absolutely fine and normal for the first time in a long time. You'll find the simple things in life mean something. Physically you will not have any withdraw symptoms at all. Just remember though you need to be in mild to moderate withdraw before you can take Suboxone. I was in mild, heading for moderate withdraw. I take 8mg a day and feel fine. I hope this helps you. Also I'm sure others will respond to your post and tell you the same thing. These people on here have helped me and I'm sure they will help you also. Good Luck and believe me, this drug is like a miracle drug. Don't forget about getting other help though, whether it be counseling, AA/NA, etc. Have a great day!
Unread 11-15-2005, 07:02 AM   #64
cnjsmom1111

WOW, thanks so much for responding. I found a Dr. today that isn't at his "30 patient" limit and am waiting on a return phone call from him. I am so ready to start this program and feel like my happy self again. I do have a couple questions if anyone may be able to help. First of all, when you say I need to be in mild to moderate withdrawal, how many hours do you think that is after taking your last dose of hydrocodone? I know when I wake up in the morning, after about 6-7 hours, I feel like hell. I know it gets worse and worse, so how long do I wait so this medication is effective? Secondly, for a person consuming the amounts I am per day (50-60 hydro. 10/325), how many MG per day will I need to start out with and if you happen to have an idea on what this usually runs, let me know. Lastly, how often do you see the Dr. and if anyone can give me a run-down of what to expect when starting the program, then on into the weeks and months ahead. Thanks for the support.
Unread 11-15-2005, 10:16 AM   #65
dodo

First of all make sure you are totally honest with your doctor! He is the one that is going to help you. He will tell you how many hrs. are best before you start this. I personally was taking about 15 hydros a day and was not quite 24 hrs without them when I started. The first day of your visit if your doctor is like mine, be prepared to be there for at least 4 hrs. You'll have to read and sign a bunch of papers. The doctor will talk to you for awhile, not long before he gives you your first dose. Be honest. The Eckerd Drug Store across from his office is where I got the suboxone. He wrote a script for me for so many 2mg. and I had to go fill it and then come back for him to start. I don't know if others have had to do this or not. In my case he started with 4mgs. under my tongue. This is how the Suboxone works, you put it under your tongue to dissolve, it gets into your body quicker through the big veins under there. He will then check on you periodically to see how you are feeling. He'll check your pupils to see if they are still dilated, pulse, etc. My doctor kept asking me if I was nauseous. After about an hour he will then give you 4 more mgs. and keep asking you how you feel, you'll be amazed at how quickly you start to feel better. The doctor will repeat this process until he decides what mg is best for you. During this time I was also talking to a counselor he has at his office, I had the option to use her or go elsewhere. I chose elsewhere for insurance purposes. The cost is costly at first but just think about how much money you spent on hydros and in comparision it's not that bad. In my case my insurance did not cover this. My doctor charged me $200.00 for the first visit. 4hrs. at $25.00 and hr. not bad. The suboxone itself is expensive. I paid close to 40.00 for 7 8mg. pills. That was what I left with a script for one weeks worth. I had to go back the next week and that time he wrote for two weeks supply and the office visit was 50.00. He is going to give me a months supply next so I do not have to put out his office visit fee except for monthy. I hope this has helped you some.
Unread 11-15-2005, 11:09 AM   #66
gwen

hey cnjsmom11! that's great about finding a doctor not at the limit! dodo has great advice about being totally honest with the doctor. my experience only varied in that I went in the day prior to do the paperwork (and ask a bazillion questions) and the doctor had the suboxone at his office. but the rest is very much similar. this is pretty interesting too. It's from this site: http://www.naabt.org/education/what_bt_like.cfm in the buprenorphine education section. what treatment is like. as for the mild to moderate withdrawal, that's different for everyone but i think it was jake who wrote somewhere else that a good way to gage your withdrawal is to check your pupils too. See how big they are. and remember ask all the questions you want before you go and when you get there. and on here. we have a good group and it appears that there are even some doctors who check it out and give great advice! let us know when your appointment is, and keep posting. we'll be help you as much as we can but more than that, we'll be here to support you! hopefully you'll hear today. also, as dodo said, and i truly believe, try to get some counseling lined up too. that's such an important part. whether individual, group or both.
dodo, i'm so happy to hear you're doing so well. It is an amazing medicine.
peace-
gwen

Unread 11-18-2005, 02:30 PM   #67
dodo

cnjsmom1111,
Hi! Just wondering how your doing. Have you started the suboxone yet? I hope you haven't changed your mind, remember this is the first step to a very happy life!! We are all routing for you please post to let us know how you are doing!!
Unread 11-20-2005, 03:24 AM   #68
cnjsmom1111

[quote]Originally posted by dodo

cnjsmom1111,
Hi! NO, I definately haven't changed my mind about this. I am so ready, I just have to wait until this Wed. to go in and talk with the Dr. Thanksgiving is the next day, and I am having 20 people over, so I will most likely start the treatment on Friday. Once I found the Dr. who had openings, I had to wait for them to call me back with all the details, and they finally called Friday. I was calling them every day, anxious to get this started. I have been reading anything I can get my hands on about this drug, and it seems to be a "mircle drug", so I am still 100% sure about it. I do have some questions though. When you all say you feel normal within a day, do you have any of the diaharrea, depression, cravings, etc. I was wondering if I should also start taking something like Zoloft like I have in the past to help with the obsession and depression. I am also worried this medication wont work since I'm taking so many pills each day. I know one of you were taking about 20 of the 10mg Hydrocodone, but I am taking anywhere from 50-60 of the 10/325's, which is so much. What about being motivated? I know in the past when I stopped cold turkey and about the 5th day once the physical withdrawals started to subside, I still had no motivation to do anything. I'm worried about that. Thanks for caring and your concern. Its so nice to have someone that can relate to this hell I'm in.
Unread 11-20-2005, 04:49 AM   #69
dodo

Hi!
You will not have any of what your concerned about!!!! I have been taking an antidepressant for years (lexapro). Talk to your doctor on Friday about that. Remember you have to be in mild to moderate withdraw so if your planning on having Thanksgiving with 20 people or so, and taking your pills, remember to stop taking them fairly early in the day (or at least enough time to be in some kind of withdraw, look at your pupils they will get bigger) so if the doctor wants to start you on Friday he can. As far as the amount you have been taking, that is not a problem!! The suboxone will still work.
You'll be surprised at the motivation you have it will not be like a high though, you'll just want to do things, things you probably haven't felt like doing in a long time. I was happy to hear from you, hang in there and if you haven't the time to post, Happy Thanksging and Good Luck! Post after you see the doctor if not sooner.
Unread 11-20-2005, 08:21 PM   #70
cnjsmom1111

Dodo,

I had also responded to one of your posts that was under "depression" and I am going to paste it here for you to read...

Hi Dodo,
I was reading through these posts and when I read about the Dr. just refilling your script even after you cried telling him you have a problem and he did it anyway, that same thing has happened to me. Those Dr's are drug dealers and do not care about their patients. I live in Houston and you would not believe how easy it is to walk in off the streets and get a script for 120 lortabs, no questions asked. And there are dozens of dr.'s like that in this town. The other thing you said about your house "That may sound stupid to some of you but when I was on the Vicodin, I just got to a point where I was like Whatever!" I totally relate because I love having my house look pretty and clean and love to decorate, etc., but just dont care anymore and all these things your saying are giving me so much to look forward to.

I am not sure if you were able to read it, but you sounded so much like me, it was unbelievable.

I was doing more research on this program and found a great link: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/bv....chapter.72248 which I downloaded all 200 pages and it has every bit of information you will possibly need to know, so if you haven't checked it out, its worth it. Thanks Again
Unread 11-20-2005, 08:34 PM   #71
TIM

That book and the newer one TIP43 can be found on the literature page of this site: http://www.naabt.org/education/literature.cfm
Tim
TIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2005, 03:41 PM   #72
russell

cnjsmom111-
dodo is so right! you are about to change your life. I'm 7 days on suboxone & haven't had a single craving! Your skeptical because deep down in your soul you know returning to normal is scary. After all, you got high to eacape normal. This is a new normal! I feel actually reborn, & I don't mean in a christian way. From day 1 it changed my life in ways I never considered:

Being able to make plans without wondering if you are gonna have pills that day.

NO DEPRESSION! I could get thru the withdrawals, But the depression would by incapacitating, & I would relapse to feel normal. The "feel good" normal feeling (relief!) I got after my first dose of pills after a weeks kicking, THAT is how I feel now all the time now. Just,happy, feel good, RELIEF!

I never took meds in my life "as directed", but I did this time. MORE IS NOT BETTER! Read my post "1st appointment" to see how I got from were you are, to were I am. Also, check with Pharmacy to see if they keep it in stock.

The people on this site are so awesome & full of compassion! Listen to them, they really care about your well being, as do I. Welcome to your exciting new life,

YOUR EXPECTATIONS ARE ABOUT TO BE MET IN WAYS YOU NEVER DREAMED, BEYOND YOUR WILDEST IMAGINATION!!!!!!

Please keep us posted to your progress. WE CARE!

Russell
russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2005, 06:10 PM   #73
gwen

cnjsmom111, good luck on your appointment! and with having 20 people for thanksgiving. yikes- what a house full! ask and tell the doctor EVERYTHING. even if it seems like it might be a small thing. as for the cravings: none. any sign of withdrawal: gone with the first dose. and actually the suboxone has been helping with my depression. so with that and the clear mind, the motivation to stay normal isn't really a 'motivation' still, even after 5 months, it's just part of my life, i don't think about having to motivate myself because it's just there. such a relief to be 'normal' again.
russell- so happy to hear you feeling so great!
peace- gwen
Unread 11-22-2005, 07:03 AM   #74
cnjsmom1111

Thanks Tim, I downloaded all of them and cant seem to stop reading up on this. It is just too good to be true!

Hey Russell,
Thanks for writing. I am so excited about actually living in the real world again and for the first time in almost 10 years, I actually feel hopeful. I have tried and tried getting off those damn things dozens and dozens of times and havent stayed clean for more than 5 days. It is amazing how everyone's comments are like something that came right out of my mouth. The planning your days around pills so you wont be sick, isolation from friends, family, etc. I am so looking forward to the simple things in life again, if I can even remember what they are. Thanks again for all your support. Stumbling onto this website is the best thing that could have ever happened to me and I am soooo thankful.

I have my official appointment next wed. @ 9am and will follow up the next day with the Dr. to see how I'm doing. He then gives me either a 2 week or month prescription. They called today and asked all kinds of questions and I told them EVERYTHING and they didn't seemed shocked at all that I was taking 60+ Norcos a day. The nurse said they have a patient who was taking over 100 and he is doing great with this medicine. I am so excited to be released from this prison I have been in and not have to worry each day if I will have enough pills to get by and especially the money I have spent. I can finally use it to pamper myself, go buy a new outfit, take my kids to dinner at a nice restaurant, fix things around the house, go on a weekend trip, maybe even start dating again. I have been aware all along these trivial day-to-day things were missing from my life, but I isolated myself from friends and family because I couldn't get away from this addiction. I know it is going to be weird since I've been used to being high for so many years. It will be like having to learn everything over again with a clear head. I am hoping my business will take off again and I can finally have some peace of mind when I go to bed at night. For any of you that have been taking this medicine, do friends and family notice a big difference in you? Especially your appearance. I know I look very tired and run down and everyone tells me I look exhausted. I am definately looking into some sort of counseling because no-one, except you guys on this site, know what I'm going through and don't feel I can tell anyone about this because they dont understand. I am very hopeful because of all the positive things I'm hearing, but I am still skeptical because I have failed every other time and I want it so bad and dont want to be disappointed if for some reason the medication doesn't work on me. I am going to follow my Dr.'s orders exactly and pray this will be my new life. Sorry for the novel I wrote, just had to get it all out. Thanks for all the support.
Unread 11-22-2005, 11:45 AM   #75
gwen

cnjsmom111, yes, you're on your way to new way of living. and, yes, people will notice a difference in you. in your personality, and your appearance. i no longer look exhausted. for the people who comment on it, i just tell them that i finally got the right medication so that i can get a full night's sleep. that they seem to understand. i'm glad you're looking into counseling. i can't say enough how much that has helped. both the individual - to look inside myself - and the group - to be with people who are going through the same thing. you're right, alot of people who haven't been where we've been can't seem to understand. but that's ok, that's where places like the counseling, and this forum help so much. just keep thinking positively. this medication has changed so many people's lives. and i'm living proof of it! you're in my thoughts. peace- gwen
Unread 11-22-2005, 12:01 PM   #76
russell

cnjsmom1111-
They will notice a big change! You will be happy! That "run down" feeling is probly depression. It will BE GONE the VERY FIRST DAY! I hate to keep harping about the depression, but I believe thats harder to get over than the withdrawls, & what makes most of us fail. Every day I would wake up thinking "today I will feel better" & every day was like the last. At times I could hardly get my kids off to school, much less work. Being free of this "funk" from day one is nothing short of a miracle. My energy is high. I look forword to work. My only advice would be to take the suboxone soon after getting up. Don't worry that if you take it to early it won't last through the evening, I PROMISE that it will! And you will sleep better to. More is not better. If you get a headache or nausea, cut your dose by like a half a pill. When you find the right dose you will feel so much better. The best part of it is, you don't develope a tolerance to suboxone, so you won't have to raise your dose.
Anyway, I just wanted you to know that I care for your well being, as do everyone on this site. Oh yeah, call & make sure your pharmacy stocks it. I had some trouble getting mine filled and that was horribly frustrating! GOOD LUCK, hang in there, & keep us posted!
With love & compassion,
Russ
p.s. Today is one full week on suboxone. Not one craving in that time! NO DEPRESSION! You will LOVE your new life!
russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2005, 01:55 PM   #77
spanky

cnjsmom1111 Hi there and welcome to this wonderful site.You will find many souls here with whom you can relate,we all share a commom problem and pass no judgements.I know now that many of your questions have been answered but I wanted to chime in with my two cents as you seemed to be a bit concerned if Sub would work for your habit.The short answer is YES!The long answer is HELL YES.I was taking very large quanties of oxys,perks,narcos,methadone whatever I could get my hands on,sometimes 60 to 80 pills a day!I now only take 12mgs of Sub and FEEL WONDERFUL!I,m happy and feel ALIVE for the first time in years.I never crave anything have plenty of energy and for the first time in my life am getting to know myself.Childern can place many demands on your life and it's easy to feel guilty if you think that you haven't lived up to your expectations or quality of care for them.I promise you with Sub you won't miss a step ,life will be better than it has in years for you ,so please don't worry.You and your little ones will be in my prayers .Please keep us posted as to your success as we want to KNOW that you are doing better! PEACE SPANKY...........PS russell how are you doing and how are those kids???????
Unread 11-26-2005, 12:34 AM   #78
brownie

hey everybody,im currently on suboxen 16 mgs 4 now till me and my doctor figure whats a good dosage 4 my body,right now ive been constipated like crazy and i feel sick all the time and last night i actully made myself vomit because i eat and it feels like it just sits in my stomach,i took laxitives and all day ive been going but i still feel like crap ive been using this dosage 4about a week and 1/2 now so i think ill be on this for a little while but i still get cravings at night be4 bed but i also get severe headaches so me and the doc figured we shouldnt add a 2.5 at night or the headaches will worsen if anyone else is having similar side effects or if you have had them or know anything that could put my mind at ease write me back i would appreciate it and 4 people trying to quit this ugly addiction of opiates i recommend going 2 counseling and aa or na meetings because chances are if your an addict you have alot of cleaning up to do not just with your addiction but family and friends and other stuffthere are ways to cope with these emotions,not that im an expert but right now this is working 4 me,thx 4 reading this and thx 2 any1 that responds i could use some other peoples experiance with this medication
brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2005, 02:26 AM   #79
Connie

Hey Brownie,

Welcome. I too suffer from some of the same side effects you do. When I was switched from subutex to suboxone I experienced nausea, swelling and general discomfort. So my doctor switched me back to subutex. That relieved the nausea, swelling and general discomfort but I still suffer with the constipation. I don't really know what to do about that. I've tried metamucil...been taking it every day, but the constipation persists. It is a lousy feeling and makes me wonder how long someone can go without pooping before they become toxic!

Maybe you can ask your doctor to switch you to subutex and see if some of your symptoms go away. But I don't have a solution for the constipation...maybe someone else out there can help.

Good luck,
Connie
Connie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2005, 12:55 PM   #80
gwen

hi brownie and welcome! i totally agree with you on the counseling and support. it's all part of the process of why we're where we are now. as for the constipation, i did encounter that at the beginning, so i started drinking a ton of water and changed my diet a bit to have more 'roughage'. salads, apples, etc. that seemed to work pretty well for me. i still do need the occasional laxative help. as silly as it sounds, i started eating an apple in the evening. with a big glass of water before i went to bed. and as connie said, you may be having the same reacton to the naloxone as she did. it's worth a chat with your doctor. the cravings are somewhat puzzling. it would seem to indicate that you're not taking enough bupe. good luck. hope you get some relief soon, you too connie! feel better- gwen
Unread 11-26-2005, 02:26 PM   #81
Caroline

With constipation due to opioids, stool softeners taken every day seems to work better than the fiber type products. Stool softeners are docusate sodium (Dulcolax) and sennakot-s. Some docs combine this with cytotec. Other products are Miralax and Zelnorm. I've prescribed Zelnorm quite a bit, and everyone has been satisfied with the way this works. As usual, drink lots of water, get exercise, eat your fruits and vegetables. There are some teas available in health food stores that you can brew and mix with prune juice and honey that will do the trick too.
Caroline is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2005, 03:42 PM   #82
dodo

cnjsmom1111,
Where are you? Did you go to the doctors yesterday and start your treatment? I hope all went well. Please post and let us know.
Unread 11-26-2005, 06:08 PM   #83
spanky

brownie I too had a problem with Suboxone and like connie would swell and have nausea.My Dr also switched me to Subutex and just like that problem solved.I had constipation also in thr beginning and I took stool softeners (3) every night foe about 3 weeks but as my body got used to the dose it went away.Never thought I'd see the day when I took great pleasure in how soft my poop was (lol).You shouldn,t be having any cravings i'd discuss that with your Dr.It sounds to me like you're taking plenty but i'm no Dr dude.Anyways welcome to the site.Keep us posted as to how your recovery is going as we're all in this together ..........PEACE SPANKY
Unread 11-28-2005, 08:01 AM   #84
VIPERFPG

HELLO ALL,
AND OF COURSE TO THE WONDERFUL CREW OF SUPPORT THAT RESPONDED BACK TO ME IN THE BEGINNING OF MY SUB JOURNEY 27 DAYS AGO, I HAVE NOT WRITTEN IN A WHILE---TODAY IS DAY 27 FOR ME--I CANNOT SAY ENOUGH ABOUT SUB TREATMENT-----HOWEVER AS I MENTIONED IN MY EARLIER POST--I LIVE IN A RURAL AREA IN TN. AND HAVE VERY LIMITED DOCTORS TO CHOOSE FROM, AND THAT THE DR I AM SEEING, WAS VERY VERY AGAINST ANY TYPE OF MAINTAINING ON THIS DRUG----THE PLAN WAS TO TAPER ME OFF SUB OVER A 4-5 WK TIME FRAME---I STARTED ON 12mg, CURRENTLY NOW AT 4mg, SHOULD BE AT 2mg, I HAVE HAD TREMENDOUS STRUGGLES OVER THE PAST WEEK, HORRIABLE CRAVINGS HAVE COME BACK----AND I ALSO TRIED TAPERING EVEN MORE TO THE 2mg AND GOT PRETTY STRONG WITHDRAWLS AGAIN, I AM VERY WORRIED ABOUT THE NEXT WEEK, WITH TAPERING DOWN OVER THE NEXT 5 DAYS TO ZERO, I HAVE TRIED TO CALL OTHER DR'S IN MY AREA THAT DO OFFER THIS TREATMENT AND THEY HAVE ADVISED ME THEY ARE CONNECTED WITH THE DR I AM CURRENTLY SEEING, I DID GO TO THE 4 (3) HR CLASSES A WEEK M-THUR NIGHTS AND THE 3 NA MEETINGS A WEEK FOR THE FIRST COUPLE OF WEEKS, AND I DID NOT HAVE A POSTIVE EXP AT ALL---I WAS AROUND MORE TRIGGERS AND RIGHT OUT DRUG DEALING AT THESE NIGHTLY CLASSES, THAN I CARE TO SPEAK OF----I AM NOT SURE IF I AM A PERSON WHO WOULD DO BETTER ON A MAINTAINCE PROGRAM--OR A LONGER TAPER??? I HAVE STRUGGLED FOR YEARS WITH AN UNTREATED DEPRESSION PROBLEM---
I HAVE A HYDRO HISTORY OF ABOUT 8 YRS WAS UPTO 20 HYDRO 10's A DAY..FOR A LONG TIME.
WOULD APPRECIATE ANY INPUT OR ADVISE???
REALLY JUST ANYTHING, I AM SURE YOU HAVE GUESSED AM PRETTY SCARED OF FALLING BACK INTO THE PIT OF HELL..
I AM PRAYING AND SO HOPELESS AT TIMES BECAUSE I HAVE DONE SO WONDERFUL WHILE BEING ON THE SUB..WHY DOES IT HAVE TO END???

THANKS FOR ALL
I HOPE THAT EACH OF YOU READING HAVE A WONDERFUL DAY TODAY
AND THANKS FOR LISTENING
GOD BLESS
PENNY
VIPERFPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2005, 10:53 AM   #85
Mary

Penny, my heart goes out to you. I just don't understand why this is happening to you, love. Your doctor knows about your cravings and still insists on the taper? That's just not right. I guess the thing i don't understand more is the other doctors and their connection to your doctor. What about the patient-doctor confidentiality - they should be able to treat you and not tell your other doctor. The induction part is over. All they have to do now is maintenance for you. Have you thought about contacting a doctor who's out of your area, explaining the situation and maybe he/she can work something out for maintenance - maybe a once a month check? That might be worth a try. I totally agree with you about the NA/AA. So many stories of what was, not of what is and positivity about recovery. Does your doctor know how you feel and about your depression? I'm sorry for so many questions. It's just not fair for you. He should be taking you personally into this equation, not just some piece of paper that he's following as regimen for everyone. Please let me know, I'll keep wracking my brain. Positive energy beams! - Mary
Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2005, 10:53 AM   #86
Caroline

Penny, you have a pretty significant history of drug use and it doesn't surprise me that you are not ready, either psychologically or physiologically, to discontinue the bupe. It also doesn't surprise me that your doc in Tennessee is being ultra-conservative because, as I recall, TN is one of those states where CDSs (Controlled Dangerous Substances) are tightly regulated and perhaps your doc doesn't want to find himself in hot water some day. The majority of patients I see stay on bupe for 3 to 6 months, and usually they themselves will indicate they are ready. I don't believe in forcing a compliant patient who is doing well off bupe because I'd prefer to see a patient stay in treatment rather than risk relapse. Usually during this time period, there are big changes in a person's life when they give up their drug use and this adjustment alone is difficult. If you feel you are not ready to discontinue bupe, talk to your doc again about a longer slower taper (tell him you are having strong cravings and fear relapsing), or if you can manage it, try finding a doc outside your area. You might want to look for a different NA/AA group that suits you better, or some other organization, or even a church group that could offer the support you'll need if you have to come off the bupe. I can't recall your family circumstances, but you'll need as much of their support as they can give you. And you know about all the coping skills you need to acquire and use. Just wondering, how does your doc handle patients who relapse while on bupe? Caroline
Caroline is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2005, 01:09 PM   #87
Jake

Penny. Get a firm answer from your doctor about treating you longer ASAP. If he won't do it, try to find another one before you start to feel withdrawal. There are 54 docs on the list in Tenn. (not all will treat)Addiction is a chronic condition and may require long term treatment. the docs are trained to understand this at their training. If he will not please try and find another, even if its far away, then keep checking the list, new doctors are constantly being trained. Plus there is an online course any doc can take, if you know one that might want to prescribe. http://www.aaap.org/buprenorphine/buprenorphine.htm good luck!
Jake
Unread 11-28-2005, 05:16 PM   #88
leeglegle

Penny;

You just received three excellent responses. Follow their advice ASAP. Soon, you'll be in real crisis, if you're not already.

I understand completely and empathize with you on your depression. I suffered with depression for thirty long years. It immediately vanished when I began sub treatment almost three years ago.

I have been on maintenance all this time at 10 mgs/day. However, a few months ago, I ran out of sub for almost a week. AT about day five, I felt the hand of the devil reaching up to pull me back into the black dog of depression. I started to panic. As soon as I got my new Rx, after four hours I returned to my new, happy normal.

Take control of your situation. You have a right to forcefully state your needs, thoughts and feelings!

Follow the advice and everything will be well. Caroline'e a compassionate, well informed physician. Listen to her advice.

PS: I haven't had a single craving since I started on sub. NOT ONE! Pretty soon, you'll forget what it was like and your addiction will be firmly rooted in your past. Just remain ever vigilant that your illnesses of addiction and depression don't return. Once you're treated properly, they won't.
leeglegle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2005, 09:54 PM   #89
Mary

Penny,
Just wondering how you're doing. If you get a chance, please let me know.
-Mary
Unread 12-01-2005, 03:38 PM   #90
mkiml

Hello y'all! I am an addict new to this treatment as of on Monday the 28th of Novemeber. I was started out on 12mg's of Suboxone and I am currently prescrcribed the 8mg's a day. I wanted to say I found out about this site and organization through a TV commercial at two in the morning the Saturday before my treatment. I have had a long history of using heroin and even though I went to detox and inpatient, I still needed something to control my behavior on the streets. Since I started taking Suboxone, my urges and cravings have been limited tremendously! They are still there somewhat though. I can finally go back to work and concentrate iinstead of thinking about shooting up and getting drugs again. I actually relapsed slightly after inpatient and was so depressed about it and also having to quit. Because of Suboxone though, I feel my life is finally turning around even if it has been only about a week.

I do want to mention that the Suboxone does make me constipated too. But I am using the bathroom more on it than when I was using heroin. Well, I am using the bathroom for its REAL purpose now instead of a station for using! Anyway...I love the forum and I can't give enough thanks to whomever made all of this exist! I am so tired of using drugs, especially junk. Talk to all of you soon! I am there if any you need advice...I completed a 28 day program and I am an active member of NA (Narcotics Anonymous). BYE!!!!

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by leeglegle

Penny;

You just received three excellent responses. Follow their advice ASAP. Soon, you'll be in real crisis, if you're not already.

I understand completely and empathize with you on your depression. I suffered with depression for thirty long years. It immediately vanished when I began sub treatment almost three years ago.

I have been on maintenance all this time at 10 mgs/day. However, a few months ago, I ran out of sub for almost a week. AT about day five, I felt the hand of the devil reaching up to pull me back into the black dog of depression. I started to panic. As soon as I got my new Rx, after four hours I returned to my new, happy normal.

Take control of your situation. You have a right to forcefully state your needs, thoughts and feelings!

Follow the advice and everything will be well. Caroline'e a compassionate, well informed physician. Listen to her advice.

PS: I haven't had a single craving since I started on sub. NOT ONE! Pretty soon, you'll forget what it was like and your addiction will be firmly rooted in your past. Just remain ever vigilant that your illnesses of addiction and depression don't return. Once you're treated properly, they won't.
mkiml is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2005, 07:10 PM   #91
Mary

Hey mkiml, welcome! Did you tell your doctor about the cravings? They might be able to do something about that by adjusting the dose a little for a bit, and then go back down to 8mg. Congratulations on your feeling well. Except for the constipation. Try the stuff they wrote about, especially what Caroline says. She's a prescribing physician, one of our resident experts (even though she'll be mad I called her that again!) It's nice to have another voice here.
-Mary

Connie, sending out beams. Hope you're doing ok. Miss you and your help around here! -Mary
Unread 12-04-2005, 08:12 AM   #92
lenny

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Jake

<div align="left">Hi,
I have been on Bupe since May 2002. I was on 16mg and have tapered down 2mg./month for about 6 months. Now I'm at 2mg. per day and am wondering how long I should stay on 2mg. before stopping altogether. I have heard that some people have trouble when they stop completely. thanks
Jake.</div id="left">
Hi Jake! I'm kinda new to this discussion group but I do have some experience about your situation. If your down too 2 mils a day your're gold!!
Try to push yourself as long as you can before you take your dose.
Every day push a little longer. Then cut the dose in half (I know it's
rather difficult cause of the size but just try dam@###$$#IT!!
Every day go as long as you can without dosing. Before you know it
you skip a whole 24 hr period. I stopped in 4 weeks! Sounds a little
far fetched but IT worked for me! I have known of some to withdrawl at very small amounts. I say suck it it up!!! We created the monster!
Lets put it to rest!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !

Would you rather have that binky in your mouth forever or deal
with a little sickness? I never had the WD'S. Believe Me I Should have!!!! Good luck!!!! Lenny lives 4-ever

lenny
lenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2005, 04:26 PM   #93
Jake

Thanks for asking Lenny! That post was 4 months ago and since then I tapered down to 1mg/day then every other day, then only when I felt withdrawal, eventually (about two months) I realized it had been 4 days since I took any. I never took any since. I still have some in my medicine cabinet. I had some trouble sleeping the first week, some fatigue, and some mild aches and pains. The following week they were much better and by the third week I wasn’t thinking about them. It was relatively easy for me. However if I had never been through a real detox before I might have complained more. Surprisingly I’ve had no cravings. I find the more I learn about the science of addiction the more it helps me not consider ever using again. For me learning about it was better then any meeting or other treatment, I feel I have empowered myself with understanding and now addiction cannot sneak up on me again.
Jake
Unread 12-05-2005, 06:54 AM   #94
lenny

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Jake

Thanks for asking Lenny! That post was 4 months ago and since then I tapered down to 1mg/day then every other day, then only when I felt withdrawal, eventually (about two months) I realized it had been 4 days since I took any. I never took any since. I still have some in my medicine cabinet. I had some trouble sleeping the first week, some fatigue, and some mild aches and pains. The following week they were much better and by the third week I wasn't thinking about them. It was relatively easy for me. However if I had never been through a real detox before I might have complained more. Surprisingly I've had no cravings. I find the more I learn about the science of addiction the more it helps me not consider ever using again. For me learning about it was better then any meeting or other treatment, I feel I have empowered myself with understanding and now addiction cannot sneak up on me again.
Jake
I think I need to learn when topics were posted!
I'm so happy to finally listen & learn the REAL facts of
addiction. That ignorant people might one day understand
that I'm not dirty or have the COOTIES!! I'M just a good guy with a disease. LENNY LIVES 4 ever!!!!

lenny
lenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2005, 06:03 PM   #95
davel

Hi, this is my first posting here. I have been on pain pills for about 3 years now. Vicodin and percs are my main choice. I am up to about 30 per day now. It really sucks. Everything in life revolves around the drugs. I just heard about Suboxin a few weeks ago and am researching to see if I really want to begin the treatment. After reading this site I have called my doctor and set up my first app. for tomorrow morning. I sure hope this works. It will be nice to sleep through the night without waking up hurting because i am craving for a pill. No one else in my life knows about my addiction. I have to vent somewhere. Any useful comments will be greatly apprieciated and I will keep you posted on how the treatment is going.
davel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2005, 06:59 PM   #96
spanky

davel...Welcome! You will find many good hearted people here.All that we ask is that you continue to post throughtout your recovery so that we or anyone new can draw from your experience.We really want to hear.Congradulations on the choice to DO SOMETHING about your problem.I don't know if you've ever been through WD before but believe me Suboxone makes it sooooooo much easier.So again welcome and remember you made the RIGHT choice.........SPANKY

Viperfpg WOW long time since I've heard from you.I was wondering how you were.I'm a little late in responding to your post.Man it sounds as if they are putting you through this pretty fast.Have you shared with your Dr that you are feeling WD??Have you asked him to go slower??It seems that your DR is a one size fits all guy.Matbe you can expand your search to surounding counties.27 days is great sounds as if you are doing everything else right.Let me know how things turn out.I,ll keep you in my prayers.............SPANKY
Unread 12-07-2005, 07:16 PM   #97
davel

Spanky Is the relief immediate?? My Dr. told me to be in WDs slightly when I come in so he can tell how much of a dose I need. I have come off of them one time by just quitting a going through several days of hell. After a few days I went right back to the same old ways. How does it make you feel?? Normal??? Thanks!!
davel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2005, 10:58 AM   #98
gwen

davel, sorry i couldn't answer sooner, i wasn't around yesterday. the relief from the wd should be pretty fast, mine came in around 20 minutes. make sure you are in mild- to moderate wds, otherwise the bupe will put you there. it will also get you out, but it will take longer. it's much better to begin in wds. everyone's different, but by the time i left, i felt good. a bit drained emotionally, but physically good. and i felt really good the next day. that was june. and i haven't had a craving since! please let us know how you do! peace- gwen
Unread 12-08-2005, 11:07 AM   #99
purple

About 15 years ago i ended up in a hosp. in withdrawell, where they ended up giving me buprenex injections for 4 days I was told that it was a tranqulizer used on horses. Has eney one else ever heard of this
purple is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2005, 11:40 AM   #100
gwen

purple, i just looked up buprenex. it's buprenorphine in injectable form. that's all. it's also listed as an analgesic. they probably just told you that because buprenorphine wasn't FDA approved as an opiate medication 15 years ago? but i couldn't find anything saying it was a horse tranquilizer. that just sounds weird that they'd tell you that. maybe just mean of them? peace- gwen