Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 05-30-2013, 09:49 PM   #1
AuntieM

Default Stopping smoking while on Suboxone

Hi Everyone,

I was wondering if this has happened to anyone else:

About two weeks before I went on Suboxone, I started taking Wellbutrin(sp?). In the beginning, it worked great and I was down to about 6 smokes/day. It has been almost 2 months and I am back to smoking my usual pack a day. I dont believe I'm under a lot of additional stress or anything, I just don't seem to be doing as well as I was in the beginning.

This is my second time on Suboxone, so it is not new and I was not stressed or anything going back onto it, just relieved.

It makes me think maybe the pharmacolgical(sp?) make up may block some of the effects on the brain receptors or something....

I will bring this up at my doctors appt next week, but I'm not really confident in his answer on this subject

Anyone's thoughts on this?

Thanks,
Mari
Started Sub on 04/09/2013
AuntieM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2013, 10:48 PM   #2
NancyB
Administrator

Hi Mari, I found this older thread where a bunch of people say they were smoking more after starting Suboxone with different theories why.

http://www.addictionsurvivors.org/vb...ad.php?t=25241

I'll see if I can find anything tomorrow about Wellbutrin and smoking and Suboxone. I know there were people here who were prescribed Wellbutrin for depression, but don't recall if any specifically mentioned taking it for smoking too.

I'll post what I find.

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2013, 10:57 PM   #3
theswan

I know this will not be popular but I would not stop smoking (unless there is a dire need healthwise) Since you have been on suboxone a little more then a month, it seems kind of early to make major changes. why? because for some anyway, the stress of trying to stop two addictions at once may be too much.

By the way, I use Wellbutrin as an antidepressant. Are you saying you use it as an anti smoking aid?
I know there is Zyban but that really is wellburtin (Buprion)

Anyway, good luck either way

Glen
theswan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2013, 05:59 AM   #4
MicheleJ

I was on Sub for four years, smoked a lot. I'm beginning my taper off Sub now. I had no specific reason to quit, other than it will be better for my health, and, it's too expensive. I'm between jobs at the moment & cigarettes are so expensive! I never really sat and thought about it before. I spent about $2200 per year on cigs!
So, on Sunday May 5th, almost a month ago, I decided I was quitting smoking. I went and bought patches, Nicorette Gum, and two brands of electronic cigarettes. It was a hefty "start up fee", but, certainly nowhere near $2200!
They say people aren't supposed to use more than one product at a time, for example- not chew the gum while wearing the patch, etc. I've never met one person who successfully quit smoking using only one of the above items, so I thought I would use them all in combination with each other. I wear the patch & smoke the e-cigs- & chew the gum from time to time. I have not smoked since May 5th, and I smoked for 32 years! (I started at age 12).
Well, I did smoke a couple cigs, just to see what I thought was so great about them, and I HATED them! I actually much prefer the e-cigs. They even have nice flavors.
I guess this isn't truly "quitting smoking", technically, it's more like nicotine replacement therapy. But, I "smoke" less & less I'm noticing. Plus, a lot of it is just breaking the habits that were associated with smoking, like lighting up when getting in the car, or having a cig first thing in the morning. I'm noticing that since these habits are slowly being broken and some even eliminated- the less I smoke. Wellbutrin would probably even add to the success!
The reason they say using all together is bad is due to fear of Nicotine poison. I read all about it, & if i think I would even possibly have nicotine poisoning, I'd seek medical attention immediately.
I'd like to be off all of this crap by November-or maybe after the holidays at the latest.
I hope this continues working. It does for me, anyway. I smoke the blu cigs & also the CIG 2o's. both e-cigs.
I'm sure I'll get bashed for posting this-- but-- so far it HAS been working wonderfully for me!
Good luck!
Unread 05-31-2013, 08:21 AM   #5
deanna

I also smoke the e-cigs and they have really helped!!
But anyways, my doctor prescribed me wellbutrin to help quit smoking. It is used for that alot
Unread 05-31-2013, 10:28 AM   #6
julie48

You are right Deanna. Wellbrutin is used as a stop smoking agent as well. This is a fact. Thanks. Julie
julie48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2013, 11:08 AM   #7
theswan

My wellbutrin must be working well since I have not had a cigarette since 1989! (but who's bragging? Lol)

No I looked it up it is buprion called Ziban so it is same stuff

I cut down to 5 then 4 then 3 then 2 then 1 just for a day (my plan was to have a smoke at bedtime but by then, I just quit) Much harder then alcohol or drugs as far as the craving goes

Glen
Unread 05-31-2013, 11:42 AM   #8
julie48

You SHOULD be bragging Glen!!! Congrats to you!! I'm jealous!!!!!!!!! lol!! Julie
julie48 is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to julie48 For This Useful Post:
Thank You (06-01-2013)
Unread 05-31-2013, 10:55 PM   #9
NancyB
Administrator

Hi Mari, I couldn't find anything anything about interactions for increased smoking while taking both Suboxone and Wellbutrin/Zyban. I also asked a couple of people who know a lot about the pharmacology and they hadn't read or heard anything either. It was actually the first time that came up for them.

It will be interesting to see what your doctor has to say. I'll keep my ear/eyes open for anything else.

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to NancyB For This Useful Post:
Thank You (06-01-2013)
Unread 06-01-2013, 12:30 AM   #10
theswan

Thanks Julie

I always give the thanks to the lord because He did the real work in removing the craving. However, giving up alcohol and drugs was a lot easier for me. I really had to "white knuckle" it with the smoking. I used to go into a lot of prisons upstate and they made this ultra strong coffee. I drank it because I liked coffee but mostly because the inmates spent their own commisary money buying the coffee and believed I'd be rude If I did not partake. Anyway, this coffee gave me instant cigarette cravings that I had to fight. Plus they were able to smoke back then and the room was filled with secondhand smoke.
That and first thing in the morning along with coffee Ahhh-hh! that was a nice time to light up! (hey if I keep this teasing up I may relaspe lol)

Not to make light of it, smoking is very very hard to give up

Glen
Unread 06-01-2013, 04:56 AM   #11
Sam Bailey

Hey Glen,

SO good that you finally stopped the tobacco. SO good that everyone who stopped...uh, stopped.

Of all the addictive substances in the world---and I've sampled far too many of them---tobacco is the one I resisted. Resisted? Hell, I hated cigarettes; I abhorred them. Oh but I certainly made up for my "resistance" to smokes when it came to other drugs, to my discredit.

Smoking killed my Mom. Long story, of course...and of course, there were other factors in her poor health---but smoking was the ultimate ruin of her. She was such a wonderful and loving Mom, but she just could NOT shake that damn habit, despite all the warnings and admonitions.

Anyway.

I just wanted to toss in my two-bits.

best,

sam b
Sam Bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to Sam Bailey For This Useful Post:
Thank You (04-06-2014)
Unread 06-01-2013, 11:12 AM   #12
theswan

Tough loss so sorry Sam.

My sister in law and brother and a niece still smoke and it concerns me. My brother is several years cancer free (non Hodgkens lymphoma) he was stationed at a post that stored agent orange and though he got it there but who knows?

I am 60 and the time of losing people about us is upon us. Been to too many wakes already. I say this because I do not take light the decision to NOT make a major decision like quitting smoking. I'd hate if someone were to develop a cancer and wonder if he/she quit when they wanted to it would not have happened. However, any addiction has the power to kill and taking on two at a time is very, very hard

Glen
Unread 06-01-2013, 01:49 PM   #13
AuntieM

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all replies ( I knew you all would help). I haven't given up on the stopping smoking. I was just curious be because it worked so well before the SUb. I don't think the Sub is making me smoke more, but makes the Wellbutrin not as effective. I have to quit for my health and unknown medical history, not to mention a scare I had. I just need to remember nicotine is a drug and an god awful one at that......

I will continue on the Sub, and will get the stop smoking thing eventually (i've done it b4). My primary doc told me to concentrate on the opiate addiction first, because it will kill me faster than the smoking. I will continue to take all my medications as prescribed...

I am very blessed to be back to me, and to have such wonderful resources available through this site.

Thanks to all,

Mari
Unread 06-01-2013, 01:57 PM   #14
AuntieM

Sam B-

I'm so sorry about your Mom, I lost my Mom on 02/14/2006 to lung cancer(she never smoked) and my MIL died in 04/2012 from it too. She couldnt give smoking up either. I have spoken to many in recovery and they all say stopping smoking is harder than stopping their DOC. I agree (IMHO). The only thing I never liked was coffee or caffeine...

Thanks Again,
Mari
Unread 06-01-2013, 07:54 PM   #15
bizzby45

Same thing happened to me, I tried we'llbutrin and it worked and then stopped. I ended up quitting on my own
bizzby45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2013, 10:36 PM   #16
willard47

Geez, lots of smoking drama. I know what a bitch it is, yep, exsmoker. I knew it would suck to quit, especially since i loved to smoke when i had a cocktail which was often. I quit over 30 years ago on a new years resolution. I do know that you can't smoke "once in awhile " or go down to 1 or 2 a day.It doesn't work. It's all or nothing! I wish everyone good luck and only deal with what you can handle at one time, (i'm talking about addictions). Nicotine is incredibly powerful and I've seen the problems it has caused up close. willard
willard47 is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Say Thank You to willard47 For This Useful Post:
Thank You (04-06-2014), Thank You (11-24-2014)
Unread 04-06-2014, 10:26 AM   #17
LuLu32

Default headaches

Post moved to new thread:
http://www.addictionsurvivors.org/vb...ad.php?t=29353
LuLu32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2014, 08:06 PM   #18
bizzby45

well burin didn't work for me either, i thought about chantix but it was to high risk. I had to friends tell me stories about their parents and homicidal thoughts....so yeah no...anyways i quit about a year ago, just got tired of smoking and stopped. I tried to quit for years and when I finally quit it was cake. I personally wouldn't try to quit after just starting sub, unless you are having health issues. I mean smoking is horrible for you but you don't want to put yourself in a position to relapse.
bizzby45 is offline   Reply With Quote