Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 03-23-2014, 06:31 PM   #1
HopeFaith14

Default surgery and suboxone

I need help and this is the only site I trust for advice. Wednesday will be my last dose of suboxone and Friday I found out that I will need exploratory surgery. The surgery is scheduled for April 3rd and I am scared. I didn't tell my gynecologist that I am on suboxone because I was scared I would be labeled. I go for pre testing tomorrow. My question is, do I tell them that I am on suboxone since I will be off of it for 8 days before the surgery? I asked for ibprofun 800 for the mild pain afterwards because I told them codeine makes me sick, really i just know that I can't take it. I'm mainly scared about the anesthesia interacting with whatever suboxone may be left in my system. My current dose is.25mg. I don't know what to do. Somebody please help me. I'll answer any questions that you need me to.
HopeFaith14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2014, 10:10 PM   #2
NancyB
Administrator

Hi HopeFaith14, sorry to hear about your upcoming surgery. I'll keep my fingers crossed that everything is ok.

Do you know what kind of anesthesia they'll be using? Buprenorphine doesn't interact with general anesthesia. And since you are at .25mg now and will be off of it for 8 days, you should be ok even if it is twilight anesthesia and they use fentanyl. People on higher doses may find that the bupe blocks the fentanyl.

I hope that makes sense. If not, please let me know.

Best wishes for your surgery.

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2014, 10:46 PM   #3
HopeFaith14

Thank you so much Nancy for responding. I'm not sure of the anesthesia, honestly I didn't know there were different kinds. I go for my pre op testing in the morning and maybe they would know. I don't know why I didn't immediately tell my gyno that I am about to be off suboxone, I just got scared about being labeled. I have had this surgery many years ago and they used general anesthesia so I assumed they would use the same. I didn't realize that suboxone could effect anesthesia until I sstumbled across some posts. Now I am scared to death and I am having a hard time believing that this is happening as soon as I'm completing my treatment. I'm not naive to the fact that I can't have opiates and I am perfectly fine using Advil or ibuprofen 800. I just don't want to die from interactions if there will still be suboxone in my system. Once again I am so grateful for your response. Are there any 1questions that I should ask at pre testing tomorrow? When I get back I will post what they fell me. Thank you again.
Jen
Unread 03-24-2014, 07:22 AM   #4
NancyB
Administrator

Hi Jen, the twilight anesthesia is the one that they use a lot for colonoscopies, some minor procedures, and dental work. It's often combination of versed (a benzo) and fentanyl or another painkiller. Here's more about that:
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/e...cle/007409.htm

Definitely ask them what kind of anesthesia they'll be using. If it's general anesthesia like the last time, Suboxone doesn't have any interaction because it's not an opiate. If you were at a much higher dose, and were still going to be taking Suboxone, then it probably would be best to tell the anesthesiologist and doctor - only so they could watch for respiratory depression. But you're on such a very low dose and you will have been off for 8 days. There will be very little (if any) left in your system.

If they are using the 'twilight' sedation, ask them what medications they are using. If they are using an opiate, you can always say that you don't tolerate opiates very well and if there is an alternate they can use if you don't feel comfortable if it's an opiate.

Here are a couple of older threads about Suboxone and anesthesia:
http://www.addictionsurvivors.org/vb...ad.php?t=27295
http://www.addictionsurvivors.org/vb...ad.php?t=29029

Good luck at your appointment and please do let me know what they say.

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
Unread 03-24-2014, 10:32 AM   #5
Rossdal7

I had to have an emergency surgery while taking the suboxone and there were no complications. Doctors gave me lortab after surgery which I took for 1 day. Did not have any use for it because it didn't help. I talked to my doctor and just continued on the suboxone.
Rossdal7 is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to Rossdal7 For This Useful Post:
Thank You (03-24-2014)
Unread 03-24-2014, 01:11 PM   #6
Dan458

If you don't mind me asking, how long have you been at 0.25mgs?
Dan458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2014, 09:21 PM   #7
HopeFaith14

Rossdal7, thank you for sharing your story. It has helped to ease my mind. I'm sorry that you needed surgery. I truly appreciate the help on this forum.
Unread 03-24-2014, 09:46 PM   #8
HopeFaith14

Dan458, I don't mind you asking at all. I have been at .25mg for 3 weeks. I was ready to stop the suboxone and then I found out about this surgery. I told the nurse at pre testing today about my history and I asked her to put it in my chart that I do not want opiates. If for some reason I need them, my husband will dispense them when necessary. I hope that I can get by on ibuprofen 800 . The will be using general anesthesia. I hope that I am going about this the correct way but if I'm not, I would greatly appreciate advice. Thank you.
Unread 03-25-2014, 06:41 AM   #9
NancyB
Administrator

Hi HopeFaith14, I wanted to show you these posts from Deanna - she had two neck fusions surgeries a year apart while taking 2mg of Suboxone.

http://www.addictionsurvivors.org/vb...5&postcount=23
Quote:
Originally Posted by deanna View Post
Hello Julie.. Nancy and Glen wrote in my thread and asked me to come to yours and talk to you. Heres the dealio. You can do this surgery without full agonist opioids, and I will tell you how to do it. The choice is up to you, but when I had my surgeries, I already made up my mind that I did not want to put that stuff in my body ever again.
I had a 4 level neck fusion, a 6 hr surgery.....twice. One year apart from each other. First time, talked to anest, ahead of surgery, told them I weas on suboxone and did not want narcotics unless I was flipping out in pain. Second time, it was a little worse and I got a shot of nubain, which works right along with sub and is a very good pain reliever. Its a partial opiate like suboxone. They use it alot in labor and delivery. Anyways, talk to the anest doctor about it, or google it or whatever you like if you want to read up on it. I also have had a hysterectomy, and it isnt bad at all. I was only in the hospital over night and went home the next day. Its more like you feel weak and not alot of pain.
The neck fusion surgery I had was supposed to be extremely painful, but I just prepared myself, and alot of it is mind over matter. Oh, yea, I remember the first time they gave me ativan a couple times cause I started getting all anxious about the pain, and then I felt better.
So, there ya go. Dont freak out, set you rmind to it that you can do it, and you wont need narcotics. I promise!!
And: http://www.addictionsurvivors.org/vb...80&postcount=4

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanna View Post
Hi Jst4tdy - I hope you can read this before your surgery. I never stopped taking suboxne, as Nancy said, I took 2mg an hour before my surgery actually...but anyways, I talked with the anesthesiologist the day before surgery about all the non narcotic options I had for pain relief, because I, like you, did not want to jepordize my recovery. I didnt even want to remember what an opiate high felt like. He said nubain acts much like suboxone, they use it alot in labor and delivery because it doesnt pass to the baby. But anyways, there are lots of very good, strong non narcotic pain relievers out there. Dont be scared, go in there thinking you will be fine. I had a neck fusion form c-3 to c-7 and they drilled 8 screws and put a plate in and the pain was never bad enough that I had to ask for opiates. They gave me toradol, and I took more suboxone and I had a shot of nubain after surgery in the recovery room.
anyways, just talk about all the options you can have before you undergo the surgery. good luck
So if it's really painful, Toradol might be an option if the ibuprofen isn't enough.

I hope that's helpful. I'm sure if you have any questions, Deanna will be happy to help. In her most recent post she said she has to work so may not be back online until Sunday. In any event, here's a link to her thread:
http://www.addictionsurvivors.org/vb...ad.php?t=23383

I hope that's alleviate worry for you about the bupe and anesthesia.

Oh, and great idea to have your husband hold the meds IF you need them. Hopefully you won't though.

Let us know how you're doing.

Nancy
One User Says Thank You to NancyB For This Useful Post:
Thank You (03-31-2014)
Unread 03-31-2014, 08:21 AM   #10
deanna

Hi there. Thanks Nancy for posting that I hope it was helpful. I read through your thread, and I am pretty sure you will be fine without any narcotics and not going off suboxone. It is exploritory surgery, which means you will just have 2 or 3 very small incisions where they insert the laprascope, to look around. I had that done before my hysterectomy years ago. The only thing that ever bothered me about that procedure is all the gas they use to expand your abdomen to see better in there. That was uncomfortable afterward, but I definately wouldnt be worried about pain.
You will do fine, and Im sure Motrin 800 will be enough. Good luck, I hope you read these posts before your procedure.
Unread 03-31-2014, 09:28 AM   #11
julie48

Hi. I just had a hysterectomy in November. Suboxone does NOT have any affect on the anesthesia. I mean NONE!! I was out like a light for the 3.5 hour surgery. Also, I worried myself sick about the pain, and truthfully, although they prescribed Norco, I could have done with out it. I had my own way of thinking due to my fear. Relax, it will be ok. I promise!!!!
Thank You (03-31-2014)
Unread 04-02-2014, 08:48 AM   #12
MattC42286

Hi hopefaith14 hope your surgery goes well. I will be praying. I dont think they will have any adverse afffext but it would def be best to check woth a dr or someone whos been down that road. Matt
MattC42286 is offline   Reply With Quote