Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 06-24-2010, 01:34 AM   #1
lisa226969

Question Issue with my eyes!!

Hi Everyone- I don't know if anyone can help me, but, I have an issue with my eyes, since starting Sub, and don't know what to do. At first I thought it was in my head...so, I have been doing a little "test" and it definately isn't in my head.

I have developed severely red eyes...most noticeable with in half an hour of taking my Sub. I know this is an odd situation, and by NO means, a HUGE issue. However....my eyes are extremely RED, and burn, an is worse with in a half hour of dosing....then it seems to ease up, until I take my next dose. Has anyone else encountered anything like this, and if so...what can I do to get some relief? I tried to use eye drops, and it did NOTHING. I did NOT have this problem prior to starting Suboxone, and was NOT sure if it was a side-effect. I know it is a very odd issue, and actually debated on whether to post a question about it, but, I finally decided to ask. Thanks again for any help, and info. You all are wonderful here, and I am SO thankful to all of you. By the way....I am 3 weeks and 1 day on Sub...and free of my DOC....yay!!! Take care....Lisa
lisa226969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2010, 06:49 AM   #2
NancyB
Administrator

Hi Lisa, that is one that I've not heard about. When did it start?

It could be a sensitivity to the naloxone maybe? For people who are hypersensitive to the naloxone, the first thing to try is to not swallow anything while dissolving the pill and then spit it all out afterwards to see if that helps. In any event, do ask your doctor about it too. If you are hypersensitive and the spitting thing works, people have just continued doing that for their whole treatment time, or they've asked their doctor if they could switch to Subutex - which doesn't have the naloxone. If you're paying cash, brandname Subutex is more expensive than Suboxone, but there is a generic out for it now.

I hope that helps, and, please, don't be hesitant to ask questions!

Congrats on 3 weeks and 1 day!

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2010, 12:44 PM   #3
lisa226969

Hi Nancy- Thank you so much for all your help. I noticed the problem started about a week after starting Subs....so, I am really baffled here. I actually started spitting, after I finished dissovling, to try to avoid the head aches, (as you suggested) and it worked really well...then, I got back into the habit of swallowing it again. I am not sure if I did it wrong, because I hear so many people talk about proper absorbtion....but I was kind of spitting as I went along....this time I am going to try to wait until it is TOTALLY dissovled, and see if that helps. I am trying to NOT put so much emphasis on pill taking, if that makes sense?

Unfortunately the doctor I go to is NOT very educated on Subs. I am having to pretty much come here, which is perfectly fine, because everyone here knows a whole lot more about Subs, and have the experience that the doctor doesn't have. He is nice, and I had to pretty much weigh the pros and cons...and for now, I have to stick with him. I had to jump thru a TON of hoops to get everything lined up with this doctor. I have been going to him for over 3 weeks, and still haven't gotten my meds from the needymeds program. Which I immediately got the ball rolling on,at the first appt. Anyhow, my meds are supposed to be there now, and I should be getting them this Monday. I had to actually step in, and finish dealing with the needymeds program, because they kept running my doctor in circles. I think it was a misunderstanding, so, hopefully it is fixed. Thanks again....I will keep you posted on whether it is the Naloxone, doing this. You truly are an ANGEL, I couldn't have done this with out you and ALL the wonderful people here. Take care, Lisa
Unread 06-24-2010, 02:58 PM   #4
NancyB
Administrator

Hi Lisa, try the spitting again, only because the needymeds program will not cover Subutex. So if you can avoid having to switch, that would be good.

On the Suboxone website they have these instructions, not sure if it will help any, but I figured I'd post them in any event. It's "How to take Suboxone" with head tilting forward and other instructions.
http://suboxone.com/patients/suboxone/how_to_take.aspx

Hopefully the are definitely there, but think about bringing the needy meds phone number with you just in case you need to call from there.
http://www.needymeds.org/drug_list.t...&name=Suboxone
866-512-2216

You can also call Suboxone and see if they've heard of that particular side effect:
From the disclaimer at the bottom of their site:
"To report an adverse event caused by taking SUBOXONE, please call 1-877-782-6966."

I hope this helps and you can find out what's causing that.

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2010, 02:15 AM   #5
JDK613

omg lisa226969 - that happened to me too - my eyes got extremely red & very irratated & dry and NOTHING helped!! Not to scare you but they stayed that way for months, a good 3 months. I really didn't think it had anything to do w/sub because this happened about 10 months into treatment but then again I thought maybe it did have something to do w/sub because the red eyes started a little while after I became pregnant & you know how your body changes when you're pregnant. I really tried everything I could think of too to get the red out - drops to take the red, to moisturize, talked to dr about which he just told me I needed to wear glasses for 2 weeks no contacts, changed my contacts, changed brands of contact solution, spit out saliva, I was switched to subutex for 1 month & that was because I am pregnant but that didn't help my eyes, researched online about pink eye & other causes but nothing matched, cold wet washclothes & teabags over eyes - I really tried to figure that one out w/no success & how frustrationg! Not to mention, for me, embarrassing!! It's not like my eyes were bloodshot they were just red. And my red eyes problem lasted a good 3 months w/nothing wrong w/my eyes themselves. After about 3 months the redness started to slowly clear up until white again. So I never did figure that one out & I hope your red eye problem doesn't last as long as mine did. But if you do find out if it is the sub could ya let me know?! It was just so weird to me?
Unread 06-25-2010, 12:11 PM   #6
lisa226969

Hi Nancy & JDK613- I am definately back to spitting the stuff out once I dissolve. And I printed out all the links you have sent me from day one. (Just in case I run into someone else who might need the help)...once again thank you from the bottom of my heart, you have been a true lifesaver!!) JDK613- I truly am convinced it is the Sub. I never had this problem before starting it. I too thought something was wrong with my contacts....and have been wearing my glasses for almost 3 weeks.

However....I thought I was going crazy...and really worried people here would think I was silly for posting such a question. Thank you for re-assuring me that it is NOT in my head. What has been hard about this whole thing with my eyes...as you said..NOTHING HELPS. I have tried everything. SO..I am giving the spitting thing a try...because as Nancy said...I went thru a whole lot to get set up with the needymeds program, and I really don't want to have to change directions. I will keep you posted, and I go to the doctor on Monday, so I will let you know what he says. Thanks again for letting me know that I am NOT the only one who has experienced this issue. Take care....Lisa
Unread 06-25-2010, 12:55 PM   #7
JDK613

Lisa226969 - I'm happy you did post the question. Maybe if this happened to others they will post too & we can try to figure it out or report it so it can get on the list of side effects. But I felt the same way. It's not in your head. SOMETHING is causing that. I really hope your dr has an answer for you. My dr at the time acted as though it was nothing, no big deal, why am I bothering him w/that. To me that's crazy, isn't that what I was paying him for?? But my eyes were so red that I couldn't ignore it. I would even wear sunglasses up until it was dark outside, in the stores everywhere. I didn't want people looking at me thinking I was stoned off of smoking pot or anything like that especially w/a baby w/me. I was so self-contiuos (i know I really mispelled that word) about it that I wanted to wear my shades at home when my husband was there! Anyways I wish I could give you some advice on what to do hopefully you will get some answers monday.
Unread 06-25-2010, 01:19 PM   #8
lisa226969

Hi JDK613-OMG- you sound just like me. I too was worried people would think I was stoned, or drunk...and here I have a young child with me. I can't even wear my sunglasses, because with out my contacts...I AM BLIND!! So, here I sit with my red and burning eyes....and my glasses..uuhhgg!! I also wanted to interject...my doctor is kind of an ass. (pardon the lang) The day I started on Subs, I also got hit with my Endometreosis...and when I called him...he wasn't very compassionate. I ended up coming here, and got more help here, than the doctor has EVER given me. However, with that said....he does NOT charge an arm and a leg, and it took jumping thru a bunch of hoops to get my meds sent to his office, from the needymeds program. So, I am praying the eye issues goes away, like you said it did for you. I figured that it isn't as bad as some of the other side effects I have read about....however, it still is a bothersome issue. I will keep in touch...and run it by my doctor, and let ya know what he says...but, I am not holding out much hope. Thanks again for ALL your help. I couldn't have done any of this, had it not been for everyone here. Take care, and have a great day....Lisa
Unread 06-25-2010, 05:17 PM   #9
toms

Have you checked with your doc or eye doc? Perhaps something is going on other than a reaction to the medication. Maybe some sort of OTC or Rx eye drops could relieve your symptoms?
Unread 06-27-2010, 08:44 AM   #10
Salgoud

Wink

My eyes get irritated with any opiate, mainly because they seem to dry up. When I'm in W/D's, they tear like crazy.

I must use an eye drop. The only eye drop that works is "Opcon-A", made by Bausch & Lomb ($5.99).

I've been thinking about checking on that stuff on T.V. called Restasis, for chronic dry eye that causes redness.

If you develop a lot of Saliva when dosing under the tonque, my doc said try the cheek and gum method. So I did, and the Sub dissolves a little slower, less saliva thus less crap to swallow or spit. Anyway, I do wish for your problems to go away.

May good Karma come into your life
Salgoud is offline   Reply With Quote