Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 03-08-2010, 02:45 PM   #1
Chase

Default Climaxing

Ok. So this might be a little personal, but I am concerned. When doing H, I understandably had a hard time "reaching satisfaction" when having sex. My boyfriend would rarely ever get hard, either. Now that we are on Sub, he can get hard and cum, but I haven't been able to. And, no, it's not him. We are doing all the same things that we did before that worked. Has anyone else experienced this? Is it one of those side effects that goes away? Sex is very important to me, so I really hope so.
Thanks for any help.
Chase is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2010, 02:49 PM   #2
NancyB
Administrator

Hi Chase, a lot of people have talked about that here. Some have not problems, others do. For some it gets better with time or a dose reduction.

Here's a thread that has a link to another thread that has links in it too.
http://www.addictionsurvivors.org/vb...ad.php?t=23164

Might think about taking a peek and to see what others are saying.

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2010, 03:10 PM   #3
Chase

I read some of those and was very depressed. I have a great drive, but just cannot climax. This will not be a side effect that I can tolerate . Even when on H, I could cum (a few hours after dosing). It seems as if lowering the dose is the only way?? I assume methadone has the same effect, and perhaps even stronger??
Unread 03-08-2010, 03:23 PM   #4
NancyB
Administrator

Hi again, before you do anything like reduce your dose, you're still stabilizing - that can take about a week. So think about waiting until then. Alot of side effects dissipate once a patient is stabilized.

What dose are you on now?

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
Unread 03-08-2010, 04:18 PM   #5
Chase

24mgs. This is the first (only?) side effect I have had. I will try to go to 16mgs soon I suppose, but I don't want the cravings to re-appear.
Unread 03-08-2010, 04:42 PM   #6
Mike

Addiction is a serious disease that kills, very few treatments work and bupe is one of them. There are side effects, I don't think you realize just how serious addiction is. As you gain control of your addiction you will be able to lower your dose and the side effects will go away, but stopping a lifesaving treatment to have sex doesn't make much sense. Take this treatment seriously so you can do it right, get through it, and then be done with it and continue on with a happy life.
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Say Thank You to Mike For This Useful Post:
Thank You (03-10-2010), Thank You (03-09-2010)
Unread 03-08-2010, 05:06 PM   #7
Chase

Ha! I realize how serious addiction is Mike. This isn't my first ride on the ferris wheel.

I don't think you realize or understand how important a fulfilling sex life is to me. If there are other ways to treat addiction, and still have a fulfilling sex life, I don't see any problem in seeking out different treatments (or doses of medication).
Unread 03-08-2010, 06:33 PM   #8
NancyB
Administrator

Hi Chase, how did your induction go? Did you go up incrementally to 24mg and that's the dose that stopped your cravings and withdrawals? Just curious, as that could have a bearing on how a reduction now will effect you.

Nancy
Unread 03-08-2010, 09:26 PM   #9
heretogethelp

I had the same issue at first, but after a few weeks, it was okay. I split my doses of sub to 3 times a day and I find right after I take it, I will have issues, but not a few hours later. I don't know if that is all in my head or not because I know sub stays in you for a long time, but that is my experience.
heretogethelp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2010, 09:28 PM   #10
Chase

It did take 24mgs to bring me out of withdrawal and stop cravings. The day after my induction, I had physical withdrawal symptoms during the day even though I took 24mgs. Saturday was the first day I was symptom free. I assume this was because the sub had had a chance to build up in my system. Maybe in another week or so my body will get used to the sub and I will be able to climax, or perhaps by then, I will be able to reduce my dosage. I will not be able to stand it long, as I do want to be able to enjoy my "sexual peak" years. I will ask my doctor about it when I see her this week.
Unread 03-09-2010, 08:48 AM   #11
Jamesisdone

I know for me stopping my drug of choice I had sooooo many intense feelings flooding through me for the first time in years that it took me a while to be able to climax as well. I was on 24 mg at fist too and I think it was more mental and my ability, or inability, to process feelings rather than the Sub that hendered my ability to climax. I would give yourself time to adjust.
Jamesisdone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2010, 09:47 AM   #12
OhioMike

Chase .............. Listen, I really understand how this is making you feel. A healthy and totally fulfilling sex life is vital to a relationship and one personal happiness. But, I want you to consider your choices carefully and your overall situation. Recovery, successful and lasting recovery is about saving our lives! We have already walked through the hell of active addiction, I don't want to see you sacrifice that, when this current problem with a little bit of time and a little bit of work, can be worked through.

Not only that, but, you just began taking Suboxone and instead of looking for solutions, your willing to pass on what might be a valuable recovery tool for you! Please take some time to consider all of the factors.

This problem is not uncommon and many have found workable solutions to it. To begin with, as time passes and as you work recovery, from the inside out, your going to be lowering your Sub dose! That in its self and time helps to ease these type of side effects. Also, when we enter recovery not only does it effect us biologically, but, also mentally and emotionally and we need time to get settled and to adjust.

In regard to sex or in most cases, making love, many of us have found answers by learning new things, exploring new options and focusing on the foreplay more and the relaxation and emotional part, to help the grand conclusion!

This problem hit both sexes and for myself my desire for sex when I entered recovery increased by a 1000 times from what it was during active addiction, but, that grand conclusion, had lost some spark and wasn't as grand emotionally and biologically. Everything else but that improved. So I backed up and focused more on everything else, not just foreplay, but, even before that, cuddling and romance in general. Further, my wife, my partner had to be a active participant in this, understanding what was going on with me and working with me on solving it. Between that, time and lowering my dose as I progressed, the problem got worked out and I did not place my recovery at risk.

So get creative, explore, have fun, focus on everything but the climax and give yourself some time.

We each have to make our own choices, but, I wanted to share what worked for myself and some others. Remember, recovery is about taking your life back and saving it, Suboxone therapy is not forever, living a addiction free life is!

Mike
Thank You (03-10-2010), Thank You (03-17-2010), Thank You (03-09-2010)
Unread 03-17-2010, 01:52 PM   #13
Chase

Woooo hoooo--I guess my body is adjusting because last night was a success. At least now I know I am not broken.
Unread 03-17-2010, 02:33 PM   #14
NancyB
Administrator

Great news!

Hope you're doing well!

Nancy