Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 01-09-2010, 08:05 AM   #1
wb4dwd

Exclamation Generic Side Effects

When I last picked up my prescription for buprenphrine, I thought they had a made a mistake, The price was about 1/3 of what I had been paying.

Turns out it was the new generic version of Subutex. I thought it was great!

My first mistake was using up all the brand name Subutex I had before trying the generic. I never thought there would be a difference.

The first thing I noticed was that taking the same amount did not have the same effect. I needed to take about 25% more to get the normal response.
I thought, "Oh well, it's still a good deal."

After a few days I started to get a headache. Flu season I figure. Headache comes each day, hour or so after I take the new meds.

After a week the headache is so profound that it lasts 24 hours, breathing becomes noticable, and I think I am in serious trouble. I call the doctor. She suggests that it may be the generic. She knows I am sensitive to drugs because I could not tolerate Suboxzone.

So I wait a day, headache goes away, I take a tentative 1/4 of a normal dose. I begin to feel better. I wait an hour...no headache. I take the rest of my dose. In another hour I feel terrific. No headache.

The side effect must be coming from the filler. I read one post that mentioned "talc." If so, it would make sense since I have an allergy to talc. It bothers me that talc could be used for such a purpose. Powdered rock......really.
wb4dwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2010, 09:01 AM   #2
NancyB
Administrator

Hi wb2dwd, thanks for the update. I'm sorry that it didn't work out because of the money difference. Did you see this? They're looking for people for a market survey on the generic -tex. They'll pay $75 to each person who participates. Here's the link in case you're interested:

http://www.addictionsurvivors.org/vb...ad.php?t=23451

Have you seen this thread, it has a bunch of different prescription discount cards that might help you with the cost:
http://www.addictionsurvivors.org/vb...ad.php?t=12915

It's interesting to find out how the generic is working out for people.
Thanks again.

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2010, 02:57 PM   #3
OpioidsGotMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by wb4dwd View Post

The side effect must be coming from the filler. I read one post that mentioned "talc." If so, it would make sense since I have an allergy to talc. It bothers me that talc could be used for such a purpose. Powdered rock......really.
I don't believe the filler is "talc". I think that was what people thought they were going to use and it ended up when the generic came out they use something else for the filler. I will try to find the topic they explains it. I think if you go to the manufacture's website of the generic it has a list of what is in the generic. I know there was a big discussion when this first came out because if someone was to abuse the subutex and they used the generic if it had talc that that would be toxic and potential to kill. That why I believe they use something else besides "talc". I'll go look and see what I can find.

Regards,
Darrin
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Edit::http://www.addictionsurvivors.org/vb...ghlight=Roxane

If you go to the 55th post in there you will see that Chris H writes "If you go to Roxane site and go to product catalog and find the buprenorophine hcl sublingual you can see the prescribing info. in there is the inactive ingredients. there is no mention of talc.

Maybe I am overlooking something, I don't know. But to me it seems they used corn starch and a few flavors.

Regards,
Darrin
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Edit:

From Roxane website:
What are the Ingredients of Buprenorphine HCl Sublingual Tablets?
Active Ingredients: buprenorphine hydrochloride
Inactive Ingredients: anhydrous citric acid, corn starch, crospovidone, lactose monohydrate, magnesium stearate, mannitol, povidone, and sodium citrate

Last edited by OpioidsGotMe; 01-23-2010 at 03:25 PM..
OpioidsGotMe is offline   Reply With Quote