Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 09-22-2009, 04:40 PM   #1
bsj1145

Default Please Help!! Panic Attacks!!

Hi Everyone! My husband has been on Suboxone for over 4 1/2 years now and I think he is taking about 1 1/2mg a day. The only problem that he has had up until now has been with BM of course. He has done extremely well in the suboxone this whole time and has not even thought about going back to taking vicodin again at all!!

Over this last week he has been having a really HORRIBLE time with panic attacks! I know that he mentioned that he had them when he was younger but has anyone else had this problem while taking subs? He is constantly feeling like he going thru withdrawls and I have no idea what to do. He tried to go and see his doctor but the soonest he can see him is Thursday morning. He went and saw our family doctor last week and he prescribed him Zoloft but he has been too nervous to take it without taking to his Sub doctor first. I'm completely freaking out because there is nothing I can do to make him feel better. The last time I saw him like this was 4 1/2 years ago when he was going thru withdrawls. I am so scared for him. Nothing I am saying is working and it just totally irritates me that we can not get in to see a doctor. The mind is so powerful! Has anyone else experienced Panic Attacks? Does anyone know what I can do to help him get thru this? Can this be a common side effect of Suboxone?

Thank you so much!!
bsj1145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2009, 04:56 PM   #2
TIM

There are no known interactions between Zoloft (sertraline) and buprenorphine. Zoloft is metabolized by an enzyme that isn't thought to be involved in the metabolism of buprenorphine. I don't think the panic attacks are a side affect of the bupe, especially since he had them before taking bupe. Zoloft is effective for some anxiety disorders, so he should be taking it, it might help. Congratulations to him for 4 1/2 years of sustained addiction remission!
Tim

Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. Voluntary Disclosure: Timothy L. is the President of The National Alliance of Advocates for Buprenorphine treatment. (NAABT.org) The views and opinions of Timothy L., or any poster, are not necessarily the views of AddictionSurvivors.org. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider Any information you read here should only serve to inspire you to investigate further with credible, verifiable referenced sources or your doctor.
TIM is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Say Thank You to TIM For This Useful Post:
Thank You (09-22-2009), Thank You (10-06-2009)
Unread 09-22-2009, 06:05 PM   #3
vhappy

Hi bsj1145,
I was put on Zoloft a few years ago, after 2 weeks I was having terrible anxiety and ended up in the E.R. many times hysterical with panic and anxiety. When I finally read the readout that came with it, I read that in a small percentage of people, it can cause extreme anxiety. I also react to Benadryl, tylenol p.m. and Nyquil with extreme anxiety and can't sleep for days. Is it possible that he started the zoloft. I want to be sure to say this was my experience and he should see the doctor to get to the bottom of this. I feel so sorry for him (and you) anxiety is horrible. When I got off the zoloft it took about 3 to 4 days for the anxiety to go away, in fact everytime I ended up calling the doctor he kept upping it saying I wasn't on enough!
congradulations to you and your husband 4 1/2 years!!!!!
Vhappy
vhappy is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Say Thank You to vhappy For This Useful Post:
Thank You (09-22-2009), Thank You (10-06-2009)
Unread 09-22-2009, 07:21 PM   #4
bsj1145

Thanks you guys so much for your help and response! He has an appointment to see his sub doctor on Thursday so hopefully we can make it until then. Right now he is concerned that the Subs are causing him to go into withdrawls which I do not think that can be possible. Do you guys know if there could be some kind of random reaction after all this time that could be mistaken for a panic attack? Thank you so much!!!!!
Unread 09-23-2009, 11:52 AM   #5
bsj1145

Default Experiencing Withdrawls after several years on Subs??

Hi Guys! My husband has been on Suboxone for a few years now and over the last week he has been experiencing what I thought could be Panic Attacks. He went to see his regular doctor because his Sub doctor can not see him until tomorrow morning and they prescribed him Zoloft. He has yet to take it because he does not want to start taking an anti-depressant or any other medication for that matter if he does not have to. The problem is he really feels like he is going thru withdrawals! Since he has been on it for this long does anyone know if there could be any long-term side effects with taking Suboxone where someone could experience withdrawal symptoms? I posted another thread yesterday about his "panic attacks" but after last night I'm really not so sure that's what it is anymore. I also had his dosage wrong; he is taking 2 1/4mg a day. I forgot that one pill was a 2mg pill.

Also, I know that Suboxone has not been around for very long so the long term effects are not known. I would just like to know if it is possible for this to happen or if someone else has experienced withdraws while being on Subs. Thank you again!!

This thread has been merges with previous similar thread-Admin
Unread 09-23-2009, 12:05 PM   #6
TIM

Buprenorphine was first patented in the 1960s. It is not a new drug and it has been well studied. Don't worry about some yet unknown side effect, it is unlikely. If his dose hasn't changed and he hasn't started taking any other medications (like naltrexone) there is little chance he could be spontaneously experiencing opioid withdrawal. I've never heard of stable patient all of a sudden starting to have withdrawal symptoms. I recommend following the physicians instructions who diagnosed the anxiety and prescribed the Zoloft.
Tim

Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. Voluntary Disclosure: Timothy L. is the President of The National Alliance of Advocates for Buprenorphine treatment. (NAABT.org) The views and opinions of Timothy L., or any poster, are not necessarily the views of AddictionSurvivors.org. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider Any information you read here should only serve to inspire you to investigate further with credible, verifiable referenced sources or your doctor.
TIM is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to TIM For This Useful Post:
Thank You (10-06-2009)
Unread 09-23-2009, 06:59 PM   #7
NoLongerSufferingWI

I have had an anxiety disorder with panic attacks since I was very young. When I used, my anxiety went away. I found that then I started Suboxone, I had 3-4 attacks per week. It resurfaces as your body adjusts to the chemical changes in the brain. Try the Zoloft and if that doesn't work, try other medications and also the home remedies and behavioral therapies until one works out. I am still trying to figure out my balance. It takes time, so just tell your husband to stick it out. Things have a funny way of working themselves out in the end.
Unread 10-02-2009, 11:27 AM   #8
Carlos

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsj1145 View Post
Hi Everyone! My husband has been on Suboxone for over 4 1/2 years now and I think he is taking about 1 1/2mg a day. The only problem that he has had up until now has been with BM of course. He has done extremely well in the suboxone this whole time and has not even thought about going back to taking vicodin again at all!!

Over this last week he has been having a really HORRIBLE time with panic attacks! I know that he mentioned that he had them when he was younger but has anyone else had this problem while taking subs? He is constantly feeling like he going thru withdrawls and I have no idea what to do. He tried to go and see his doctor but the soonest he can see him is Thursday morning. He went and saw our family doctor last week and he prescribed him Zoloft but he has been too nervous to take it without taking to his Sub doctor first. I'm completely freaking out because there is nothing I can do to make him feel better. The last time I saw him like this was 4 1/2 years ago when he was going thru withdrawls. I am so scared for him. Nothing I am saying is working and it just totally irritates me that we can not get in to see a doctor. The mind is so powerful! Has anyone else experienced Panic Attacks? Does anyone know what I can do to help him get thru this? Can this be a common side effect of Suboxone?

Thank you so much!!

I do not know if someone has said it already because I did not read all of the post. A few month ago, a friend who went into one of those 12 Treatment Programs to go into total remission of his heroin dependence condition. Was prescribed Zoloft, and he did not know much about it and I did NOT either. So I looked up some pages in the internet. trying to find mostly for what appear to be Medical Credible Pages. There were some things in them that could be considered alarming. However I also found a Message Board or Forum like this one but about Zolof (and maybe other psychiatric medications). Some of the patients where claiming that when they tried to come off Zoloft they did experience withdrawl effect and other side effect that I do not remember but did concern me. I made him copies and brought it to them. I suggest you google it alone Zoloft and Zolof sideeffects etc..

Consider that the patients claims are only anectdota data, but frequently studies (FDA followed)are done regarding what patients begin to sense. Some times is so other time it is found that the patients where in error and was only conicident and it was some other condition that created those side effects..

Numerous medications that has come out for years where later found to have side effect (IE LAAM and their was a medication about 10 years ago for artritist pain killer)

Last edited by Carlos; 10-02-2009 at 11:31 AM..
Carlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2009, 02:13 PM   #9
theswan

I am one who believes that indeed the suboxone long term can cause anxiety. I had it in spades!

Now that I tapered down to 1mg from around 5mg, I feel a whole lot better. yeah maybe it was a coinicidence but I doubt it.

I have great things to say about sub and it has been a godsend but for me, it may have caused anxiety in the long run. the benefit ration outweighted any side effects for a long time but now it is time for me to get off the suboxone. After vacation i will go to1/2mg and by Christmas be off.

So in a nutshell-yes I believe sub can cause anxiety despite what MOST people expirence.

Glen
theswan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2009, 04:14 PM   #10
thebadbambino

Is there any chance he was using behind your back? When I use and then go back on the suboxone I feel like shi% for about 3 or 4 days especially irratiability and anxiety. This time is took 5 days for the irratiability and anxietyto go away. Not to mention not sleeping for 4 days. Now I'm on day 8 and feel good and sleept the whole night.
thebadbambino is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2009, 11:18 PM   #11
OhioMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebadbambino View Post
Is there any chance he was using behind your back? When I use and then go back on the suboxone I feel like shi% for about 3 or 4 days especially irratiability and anxiety. This time is took 5 days for the irratiability and anxietyto go away. Not to mention not sleeping for 4 days. Now I'm on day 8 and feel good and sleept the whole night.

I'm curious, how often do you do this?
Thank You (10-15-2009), Thank You (10-04-2009)
Unread 10-02-2009, 11:32 PM   #12
thebadbambino

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioMike View Post
I'm curious, how often do you do this?

Hopefully this will be the last time. I'v seen your video so I guess you know how it is. Trying to stop numerous times.
thebadbambino is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2009, 01:27 AM   #13
OhioMike

Yes, I do know how it is. However once I stopped trying to self medicate and got on a program and on Suboxone, that cycle stopped for me.

I'm curious if you have any feelings on why you keep going on and off Suboxone?

Mike
Unread 10-03-2009, 01:54 AM   #14
Jamesisdone

Wow some resentment... Sorry Mike! We all love you even through the tough times!! IMHO recovery can have slip ups and until you realize that sometimes sh*t happens you will be one unhappy person with yourself.
Jamesisdone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2009, 08:18 AM   #15
OhioMike

Hi Angela ............ I don't have any resentment. I am trying to understand his/her experiences while on Suboxone which made him/her keep going off it and then back on again. That way maybe someone could post some suggestions which might help.

Sorry if I came off wrong.

Mike
Unread 10-03-2009, 08:25 AM   #16
NancyB
Administrator

Quote:
Hi thebadbambino, are you utilizing more tools than just taking the medication?

Are you ready to quit the addiction rollercoaster?

Maybe look into how much Suboxone you're taking and if you need to, adjust your dose accordingly so you wouldn't be craving and thus relapsing. Unless, of course, you're not ready to quit yet.

Just some food for thought.

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Say Thank You to NancyB For This Useful Post:
Thank You (10-03-2009), Thank You (10-04-2009)
Unread 10-03-2009, 06:24 PM   #17
Cally

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesisdone View Post
Wow some resentment... Sorry Mike! We all love you even through the tough times!! IMHO recovery can have slip ups and until you realize that sometimes sh*t happens you will be one unhappy person with yourself.
Mike asked the question with compassion not resentment. Mike is very passionate about helping other people. He is well educated about addiction and is very active helping people here and in his community.

It appears this person is substituting suboxone when their DOC is unavailable. I would not categorize this as a “slip up”.

Quote:
When I use and then go back on the suboxone
This behavior is dangerous in many ways. A major danger is overdose. Suboxone blocks the effects of all opiates and a person could overdose accidentally.

I personally don’t want anyone to think this is a good idea and try it themselves.

Mike asking this person questions could help the person understand the danger they are in. Mikes questions could save someone else’s life as well.

Last edited by Cally; 10-03-2009 at 06:33 PM.. Reason: added remark
Cally is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Say Thank You to Cally For This Useful Post:
Thank You (10-03-2009), Thank You (10-04-2009)
Unread 10-03-2009, 07:27 PM   #18
Jamesisdone

Oh my here I go again!!! I wasn't refering to mike I was refering to the resentment being thrown his way!!! And as far as slip ups I am also refering to what he said to mike. No using Sub as a back up plan is not a slip up. Sorry mike that I came across like that! I couldn't figure out hou to edit it when I saw it again. I really am annoyed with the poster that keeps being rude but nobody else... I mean Hell we have ALL been rude from time to timr but NOT by taking cheap shots! Hope this clears up any confusion
Unread 10-03-2009, 08:19 PM   #19
OhioMike

Red face

Hiya Angela ............... whew, wow sorry I was just starting on my first cup of coffee when I began reading and responding to posts or I would have understood what you were meaning! Sorry! ............... ha, maybe I should get that first cup all the way down first!

Anyway ................ I have read many of the other posts this evening and believe me, I understand the desire to protect this site, as I can be the worlds worst in over doing it, as some of my posts show. But, I make no apologies for feeling that way, the people here have given to me much more than I could ever give back to them in two life times and they played a large role in saving my life.

With that in mind please let me add this to this issue................ Maybe this person is simply passionate about what they experienced and were told and as Mike said, is simply trying to offer that in a good way, not yet having all of the facts.

So with the benefit of doubt in mind, I recall when I first got started. I was most fortunate to have been educated here prior to starting Sub and many here did so much for me, yet, wow I still had so much to learn and I have found that the learning process with this disease never really stops. Be it from the medical community or from all of you!

Again Angela, sorry for reading your post with only one eye open and sleep in the other eye!

Mike
Unread 10-04-2009, 02:09 PM   #20
Jamesisdone

lol,
yeah your right... I need to chill, I am a mother of three boys I may get a lil defensive from time to time... protective is an understatment!
Unread 10-04-2009, 06:08 PM   #21
neisy58

jamesisdone,
i think all of us are very passionate about addiction remission, and all the tools we have available to get there.
i understand your views, and your protective attitude,it what makes me really know you are serious, and a hard worker when it comes to being off those rotten drugs.
keep on voicing your opinion, and by doing so it just may help someone wanting to say what they feel and are too shy or scared to.
you must be busy with 3 boys,i only have a 14 yr old sweetie right now, and she keeps me on my toes.
take some time for yourself and i hope you are having a great sunday
hugs,
denise
Unread 10-06-2009, 02:16 PM   #22
Jamesisdone

Thanks Neisy,
Time to myself can you please tell me the definition of time and myself lol it is a struggle for sure! All boys too (sheesh!!!) Ages 10, 6, 11 months... Need I say more??? lol
Love ya babe!!!!
Unread 10-06-2009, 11:44 PM   #23
neisy58

hi jamesisdone,
atleast with your boys being so young,you don't have to wait forever to get on the computer...lol.
i wait for hrs for allie to get off so i can get on.
i don't understand how we did it back in the 60's and 70's ,no computer,no video games....ect.
i can tell you this,we kept busy and we were in great shape
sometimes i wish there was a law that children can be children, and they couldn't watch hrs of tv, and be on all types of high tech crap.
i believe they would be better adults by it being that way.
oh well, technology will only keep going forward, and our childrens brains will follow.
it's thier bodies that will suffer.
i guess the "take some time for yourself" would be your time on here,you still gotta be busy alot though.
love ya too,
denise
Unread 10-08-2009, 02:49 PM   #24
Jamesisdone

Well my 10 year old AND 6 year old love to spend hours on the computer lol BUT I tell to get off so I can use it.... my 6 year old will but my 10 year old gives me some sob story lol. I agree they need to do more outside but the weather here in Kentucky is crazy!!!! rain rain and more rain not to mention the wind storm and ice storm we had! ugggg I wish it would chill but a lil to late as winter is fast aproaching.
Unread 10-18-2009, 06:10 PM   #25
missunderstood

It sounds like your Husband is so dependent on suboxone that he is causing the panic attacks unconsciously. I have suffered with panic attacks on and off in my life and they are so hard to deal with!! Maybe he could be gentle on his self and take it slow? I hope your Husband feels well soon.....................................) :
missunderstood is offline   Reply With Quote