Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 08-28-2009, 01:45 PM   #1
aprilw

Unhappy leg and back/shoulder pain

Hey everyone. I have a question.. yesterday i noticed my right leg and back/shoulder started to hurt. more of an ache. i just keep rubbing my leg. i started taking sub. tuesday. dr. put me on 8mg twice daily. i realized that was too much after talking with people on here. I then took 1 for a day. still didnt feel right. took 1/2 x2 yesterday so far today ive taken 1/2. Does anyone think my pain could be related to adjusting my doses? or maybe the hydrocodone w/d system? Any help would be great!! my leg is really making me unconfotable!! Thanks in advance. April
aprilw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2009, 02:08 PM   #2
NancyB
Administrator

Hi April, If 1/2 twice yesterday was a good dose, then take the other half. You should take the same amount every day for a week or so now before making any adjustments - that helps you stabilize. Are those pains consistent with other withdrawal pain you've had? If so the other 1/2 will help.

Sometimes when people stop the painkillers and start Suboxone, there are things that may have been masked by the painkillers that surface. This can be pain, depression, anxiety. Those things need to be treated separately. That said, Suboxone also has analgesic properties, but doesn't work at all for some, and works great for others. Could be that the pain has surfaced and the Suboxone is helping it a little bit.

Let us know how you feel after taking the other 1/2.

Hope this helped.

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2009, 02:26 PM   #3
aprilw

THANKS Nancy, The leg pain started last night. I took my doses at 9 am and 2pm. My legs did always hurt when i would try to go off hydros. I go to Dr. Tues. I was trying to fiqure out what works for me though. But I guess Im not doing such a great job. Going to company Dr. now to remove stiches. I was cut by a bottle at work. I will check back in when I get back. Thanks again. You are GREAT!! April
Unread 08-28-2009, 03:26 PM   #4
Cally

When I stopped taking pain pills I felt like I was in more pain. I have a cervical spine injury and assumed that the pain I was in was because of my injury. Three months after I stopped taking pain pills my pain decreased dramatically. The pain pills were actually CAUSING my pain!

This could be what may be happening to you. ItÂ’s also very possible that this could be withdrawls. It could be something that has been masked all this time. Most likely it is nothing.

DonÂ’t be alarmed OK? ItÂ’s too soon for you to really put your finger on what the cause is. You have just started. Your body is adjusting to the changes. With some people it can take 2 weeks to adjust.

It is very important for you to stay at the same exact dose every single day. Suboxone does not work like our DOC (drug of choice). If you change the amount you take every day you are only going make yourself miserable.

Warm baths with Epsom salts really helps pain. Soak for as long as you can. Before bed it will help you sleep. I began taking suboxone in July a hot bath seemed crazy but it sure helped my pain.

Drink a lot of water, I mean a lot. Its hot and along with the suboxone you need to hydrate yourself. Water will also pee the poisons out . Water is your best friend now.

Remember you have an illness (addiction). Take care of yourself like you would with any other illness. Eat well, get a lot of sleep. In no time you are going to feel like a new person.

You are doing a GREAT job! DonÂ’t say that.

Did you get those nails done yet?
Cally is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2009, 04:35 PM   #5
aprilw

Hey Girl!! Thanks for the help and support. I thought maybe that changing the doses everyday may play a part in what im feeling. I know it may be anything also. So do you think I should decide what Im going to take and do that everyday until my next appt. Tuesday? We know 16mgs is too much-8 seems maybe to be not enough? not sure. But I split it up. Maybe take 1 8mg in am and thats all for day? Hell I dont know!! Thanks I was just trying to get adjusted before I went back to work Mon. night! Im getting myself stressed out!! Im going to get my nails done tomarrow! if I can get myself to feel better. Its times like this that make me think about taking a pill. I have 2 but I know they wont do anything so I wont take them. My husbands Bday so we are going out to eat with his family. I may take 1/2 of sub. I have only had 1/2 and a pinch of a broke 1. maybe I was trying to get to too low of dose? Thanks again for listening,April
Unread 08-28-2009, 04:49 PM   #6
NancyB
Administrator

Hi April, I think you'll be better off taking 8mg all at once in the morning. If you get that 'need' to take something, have a mint, someone here would take aspirin because it made her feel like she was taking something, others take sublingual B12. Helps with energy too.

You're doing great, just don't overthink it. That's why I think 8 in the morning will be good to try. Then you'll be better able to judge if you would need more.

Have fun at dinner, get some really decadent dessert.

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
Unread 08-28-2009, 05:23 PM   #7
Cally

There is no such thing as to high or too low of a dose.. The correct dose is the dose for you that stops cravings and withdrawls.

I know your gut tells you to take more because that is what we are so used to doing. One dose of suboxone a day is all you need. You have got to trust suboxone to do its job.

I think that you should stay at 8mgs today and tomorrow. (I agree with Nancy) DonÂ’t take any more today. Fight the urge to take that little bit more. You want to take the smallest amount that keeps you comfortable.

You want to keep your dose constant for a very good reason. Suboxone stays in your bloodstream much longer than our DOC. If you keep adding more or subtracting you will never get stable.

Suboxone has a half life of 37.5 hours. You are not really taking less.

For example if you take 8mgs of suboxone at 9AM on a Monday. 24 hours later on Tuesday at 9AM you will still have 4mgs of suboxone in your blood stream. So when you take that 8mgs on Tuesday at 9AM you will have a total of 12mgs in your bloodstream.

I hope that makes sense. The last thing I want to do is to confuse you.

Have fun tonight at dinner. Enjoy yourself, you have earned it.

Unread 08-28-2009, 11:17 PM   #8
aprilw

Thanks Nancy and Cally..i read your post too late. I had already took 1/2. I was just feeling so bad. Its 11pm now and I feel pretty good. A little tired but Ive been going all day today. My leg was still hurting. I took an ibuprofen,that seemed to help. i dont know why I didnt think of that before. I was getting too stressed out about everything. i guess i got discouraged. I was feeling so good those first 2 days. Ok Im gonna take 8mg tomarrow morning and let it ride. Forget about it. What is sublingual b-12? where do you get it? Talk to yall tomarrow. Thanks for everything. April
Unread 08-29-2009, 12:53 AM   #9
Cally

It’s the vitamin B12 in sublingual form. I think any major pharmacy carries it.

Its amazing how well Advil or something like that really works isn’t it?
Unread 08-29-2009, 08:05 AM   #10
NancyB
Administrator

Hi April, check in when you can.
Hope you had a good night's sleep.

Nancy
Unread 08-29-2009, 10:09 AM   #11
aprilw

I slept really good. Its about 10am here and I just took 8mg. check back with you all later. Thanks..April
Unread 08-29-2009, 10:34 AM   #12
neisy58

hi april,
when i first went off my doc,i suffered 3-4 weeks of pain and even thought this may not be the thing for me.
the dr even said the only other course of treatment for me would be methadone,i sure didn't want to do that.
pain is the main reason i and most of us end up addicted to our doc.
i was just telling my husband that it seems like in the past couple weeks i have been hurting alot less.
i have been told it takes time to get the doc out of our systems and regulated on the sub.
the body has to go through all those changes mentally and phyically,and once we get stable it usually quiets down.
with all the medical problems and knee relacements needed,spinal crap going on in my life,i am in less pain than i was 2 months ago.
all i need is extra strenth tylonal or advil.
a hot bath or shower helps too.
it's the body getting used to using its own pain releasing chemicals to help your pain,all we did is self medicate with strong chemicals.
it will get better april
hugs,
denise
Unread 08-29-2009, 01:48 PM   #13
Cally

Denise,

Forgive me for hijacking aprils thread.

I am so happy to hear that your pain is less severe. You have made my day.
One User Says Thank You to Cally For This Useful Post:
Thank You (08-29-2009)
Unread 08-29-2009, 07:13 PM   #14
aprilw

HEY DENISE, and CALLY, even though you were not talking to me!!!LOL!!! How are yall? Denise, thanks..that makes alot of sence. Ya know I think I was just panicing a little. I felt so good the first couple of days then I started messing with my dose. The more info. Ive read and researched, the more I think I should have stayed at what Dr. prescribed. From what I understand now, even though the first pill did make me high, It takes a couple of days to get adjusted. and, I should have taken the same amount for a week,my next appt., thats why they call it stablize. I just freaked out too soon. I hope that doesnt mess my treatment plan up. I think Dr. intention was take 2 for week then go to 1 for? not sure but ive read alot of people did that. Sorry for going on...but all of that just came together for me today. Thanks for your concern. I wish everyone could know how much that helps me!! Thanks again. You too Cally!
Unread 08-29-2009, 09:07 PM   #15
neisy58

Talking thankyou cally

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cally View Post
Denise,

Forgive me for hijacking aprils thread.

I am so happy to hear that your pain is less severe. You have made my day.

thankyou cally,
i m sure april won't mind
i can't believe how much my body has adjusted to the suboxone once i started taking it at a level dose.
much better
denise
Unread 08-29-2009, 09:11 PM   #16
neisy58

hi april,
once you explain all that you have gone through since you started,he will make sure you are on the dose he feels is right for you
you are doing great and by reading everything you have,your learning alot too.
i am so proud of you,but better yet,i bet you are proud of yourself!!!!!!:
have a good one,
denise
Unread 08-29-2009, 11:01 PM   #17
aprilw

thanks denise, you are always so encouraging. I like you alot. I know i misspell alot of words. I try to type too fast, so excuse me!! Im gonna stop stressing over it,and do what he said do. For 3 more days I think my body needs to adjust to taking the same amount. 8mg this morning but that dont seem like its lasting all day. Any i give up. My legs have stopped hurtng though. I dont know if it had to do with my messing with my dose or not but its looking as though it have. Anyway thanks for everything, april
Unread 08-30-2009, 07:54 AM   #18
NancyB
Administrator

Hi April, why don't you think that 8mg is enough? Are you having cravings? If you are, then you need to take more and take that same amount every day. It's better to increase your dose than to relapse.

But, you say that you don't think it's lasting all day. Suboxone lasts for a very long time. After 37 hours, you still have half working. Can you explain why you don't think it's working? Then we can try to figure out what's going on and help you feel better.

Nancy
Unread 08-30-2009, 01:45 PM   #19
aprilw

HI Nancy, What I meant to say was 8mg seems to do the trick at first. But as day goes by i start feeling bad and want my doc. In no way am I saying this medicine is not strong. Im saying I messed up by changing my dose everyday IMO. I felt good until i started messing with dose. the first day was a little rough but maybe my body just needed to get adjusted. IDK. I get really stressed out when I dont know what to do. thats in everything in my life. i just feel like crying. thats why i said im gonna take what was prescribe. 2 days now. Ive messed up my first week anyway. Thanks for help April
Unread 08-30-2009, 02:57 PM   #20
NancyB
Administrator

Oh, ok, thanks for clearing that up for me April.

Sorry if I've asked before, but will you be able to go to some counseling to help you through this transition period of not being able to self-medicate? It might be helpful to learn different methods to help you react differently to stresses.

If you feel like crying, then cry. It can make you feel a lot better letting the emotions up instead of bottling them up inside.

You're doing great, it's a process, and you're learning as you go.

Maybe we'll 'see' you in chat later. : )
Nancy
Unread 08-30-2009, 06:11 PM   #21
aprilw

THANKS!! Nancy and everyone whos tried to help me. You are right, I am learning as I go. My Dr. is a psy. he said we were going to work on other things,he wanted to get me stablized on sub. first. I see him Tuesday. I guess I just got discouraged. Everyone seems to be doing so well, and frankley, after the first couple of days I didnt think I was doing well at all. I also may have been a little impatient. I had this week off work and I wanted to be good when I went back because, I always felt I needed my hydros at work for energy and they kept me awake. I work 11pm-7am.Thanks again for everything, April
Unread 08-30-2009, 09:41 PM   #22
NancyB
Administrator

Hi April, here's a link that thread we talked about earlier in chat.
http://www.addictionsurvivors.org/vb...ad.php?t=14755

Nancy