Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 06-30-2008, 12:10 PM   #1
gotitang

Default Does Sub make youuu sweat

Hi guys i was just wondering about when it gets time to lower your dose if Sub. makes you sweat? this has been a week from hell. there have been alot of things happening and it is hot in California but I have been having excessive sweating. Night sweats and waking every two hours. Sleep has eluded me the last few nights because of the sweating.
For all you guys that think this is menopause I kind of doubt it becuase I am on hormones. 2mg a day and that has helped with the hot flashes but this sweating at night is new.
I'm so tired from not sleeping and waking up soaked. Any idea's about what is going on?
gotitang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2008, 12:18 PM   #2
Sub-Zero

I got night sweats that last about 15 minutes. Since I've been below 4mgs/day they have stopped.
Sub
Sub-Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2008, 12:48 PM   #3
staticx79

I used to get night sweats whenever I would be in wd's. When I stopped methadone cold turkey I had them real bad for like a week. I also experienced them the first 2 weeks or so of sub, but to a much milder degree. But after that, I haven't experienced them again, and I just dropped my dose 4mg about 2 weeks ago, but I really haven't experienced any symptoms of wd from that drop.

Did you just drop your sub dose, maybe you are experiencing very mild wd's? I know that for me, night sweats were one of the biggest symptoms of withdrawing from opiates.
staticx79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2008, 03:46 AM   #4
Sunny1

Hi,
I don't get the nightsweats so I don't know if this helps. I do get sweats since starting Sub. It's better than it was and still improving. I still get them out of nowhere and have the a/c pumping at all times b/c I feel warmer than usual. It feels like a hot flash and then my face is dripping. Happens often after I take my 1st. dose in the morning.

Do you notice any relation to the nightswets and the time at which you take the Sub? Did you lower ur dose and this started or ur asking if lowering ur dose might help?

Sunny1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2008, 03:52 AM   #5
sunsetgirl

Yes I get them terribly and I still don't really know if it's the sub or hormonal. I'm on a HRT patch so I would not think it would be hormonal.
My sweats seem to be intermittent. I will go a week or so having TERRIBLE problems - waking up at night wringing wet and having to change my nightclothes and often the bottom sheet. Then it seems to subside for a while.
I have a feeling it's the sub because I am doing a slow taper at the moment. Even though it's only 0.2mg per week that I'm dropping by I think my body is very very sensitive to even small changes.
I am HOT all through the day as well (and it is winter here) plus I get a bit clammy during the day at times also. Whilst others are rugging up I am shedding clothes!!
I take my sub around 6pm each night. I've tried taking it in the morning - but it makes no difference at all and as it makes me drowsy it's best for me to take it at night.
I just don't know - but I do know one thing - these night sweats are absolutely horrid!!! SunsetGirl
sunsetgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2008, 01:11 PM   #6
gotitang

Sunny1 to answer your question I take the Sub at about 5:30am when I get up and it is 4mg. I was planning a lower dose this week but since I am NOT sleeping (being disturbed by sweaating) I changed my mind and haven't dropped the dose yet. That's what I was wondering. Does the brain (that sub is allowing to heal) give us "signs" when it is time to lower the dose? Has anyone had this experience?
Thanks everyone who answered above. I'm not the only one it seems experiencing these LOVELY sweats!
Unread 07-01-2008, 01:48 PM   #7
flier1

Gotitang

When I first started Sub at 16 mgs I sweated quit a bit, but as I kept lowering it got worse but for me it was hormones, when I started on the patch the sweats all went away for me it was hot flashes, now I am 42 and had a hysterectomy 3 years ago but I never went on any kind of pill for hormones because I was fine well when I went on Sub I started sweating like crazy, I dont know if taking 40 plus pain pills a day was keeping the hot flashes at bay or what I jsut know that I thought I was living in Hell when I went on Sub LOL...So I dont know how old you are or even hormones even play into your problem but I wish you luck in your journey in recovery

Helen
flier1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2008, 05:04 PM   #8
phone

There are two threads going on right now about sweating.

I think McMotley started the first one.

Anyway, I'd like to know WHY I sweat all night long. My last dose is at 3PM, next dose 5:30 AM. SO is it bc of withdrawals? I don't know what else - I do sweat during the day if I take 16mg at the same time instead of dividing it. SO it seems I sweat if I overtake and if I undertake.

I have three pillows now - so I switch pillows six times a night due to sweating. (turn one over then it's done, onto the next....)

It really is annoying. HOWEVER, if that is my only downside to sub then I will deal with the sweating, I'm just curious as to WHY????????

Thanks.
phone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2008, 05:18 PM   #9
Fish

Hi phone, I do sweat too and got a fan. Sometimes I'll take something like soma or a sleep-aid and the interaction has a cold sweat effect.
Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2008, 04:27 AM   #10
angelout

This thread is really helpful, I guess it is not just me. I have been on Sub for 3 years and the sweating is still with me and I guess it always will be as long as I am on it. My sweats were soooo severe and horrible last year I thought they would actually make me do myself in, they were HORRIBLE. I felt like i was suffocating and couldnt function. After every sweat I had a chilly time where I would shiver. My dose is lower now and I am taking HRT to make up for the hormone depletion, my Sub Dr puts even his male patients on HRT. MY thoughts are, if Sub depletes or is thought to deplete ones hormone reservoir, what supplements can a person take to help him or her, and what supplements would help the hypothalmus which I think is the brain center of body temp regulation. I think Sub affects both of these systems. Clearly it is not just a menopausal issue, but for the person in that phase, its a double decker whammy. Cotton is your best friend and talcomn powder too. The clammy feeling is awful, I used to sit on the toilet and when I would get up it would stick to my butt and then crash, fall down. LOL.

Sunset....hormones helped me. if sub depletes hormones, and thats my theory as well as my Dr's then it wouldnt matter what age you were. get your levels tested and stay hydrated too. Post back what your Dr does please.
angelout is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2008, 01:37 PM   #11
sunsetgirl

Thanks angelout. I see my doctor on Friday and going to have a good chat with him about it. I do not really want to go on HRT but I would be happy if he can find me a doctor who does bio identical hormone replacement. 2 sisters of mine have had breast cancer so I need to be careful about introducing hormes into my body. I did use a patch for a while but I was not happy about it and also the damn thing would not stay stuck on!!!
SunsetGirl.
sunsetgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2008, 03:04 PM   #12
matthews

dear sweaters,

sub make's you sweat
I posted about this when I first started my induction
I am a guy and I didn't think it was a hormonal thing
I would break out in a sweat during the day for no reason
like I would be shopping in a department store with my wife,
pushing the cart, in a nice air-conditioned store,
and then a blamb ... my head and shoulders would break out in sweat.
no rhyme or reason
every one knows about sub was familiar with this.
it is an actual side effect
once your body gets used to this medication in the swetting will subside
it was very embarrassing at work
or out in the world in general
because what does somebody think when you talking to them and all of a sudden you break out in a cold sweat
as I began my taper and after a month or so the sweating stopped
I started 16 mg
then eventually went down to 12
than 8 mg

and now I'm on month number six I'm on 4 mg of sub and those cold sweats do not happen anymore!
I'd not saying that you have to taper
but after your body gets used to the sub the sweating will subside

good luck
matthews is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2008, 03:20 PM   #13
Sunny1

Matt, That's exactly how my sweats come on, but it's been getting better. I was actually walking home from the pharmacy a week ago and yes it was warm out, but still I didn't see anyone else with a red face and sweat dripping down it. A homeless guy saw me and pulled out a bunch of napkins and tried to give them to me. lol. I just kept walking fast b/c i wanted to get home as soon as possible b/c I looked a little messed up.
Sunny1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2008, 05:23 PM   #14
matthews

sunny,
regarding our plight
I used to keep a white washcloth in my back pocket
almost like a painter
it help me from time to time wipe my face,, as I couldn't do it with my shirt or my sleeve

in addition I was drinking a lot of water I think this is good

and I also got a small battery controlled fan at Walgreens
during the summertime a lot of pharmacies have small inexpensive hand-held fans

this works fine

don't worry of somebody looks at you
because most likely they are hot too

and you have the last laugh because you are cool,calm,and collected
matthews is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2008, 03:56 PM   #15
gotitang

Thanks for all the info guys! I am also on hormones and have been for about 3 years. I still have hot flashes with the hormones but lately it has been more like huge blisters of sweat....I'll be doing something simple and wham the sweat is just blubbling up under my nose,mouth and around my forehead. We are not talking alittle hot flash sweat!LOL With my makeup on it looks like my face is sliding off! wink... The night sweats have gotten better since last week but not the day sweats. Instead of lowering my dose I took a quarter of a half more and that did seem to help. GOD that is miserable. NO wonder I don't have a boyfriend! wink......
I am drinkin lots of water and I have been on sub since sept 07.... SOOOO it was nice to hear that I am not the only one sweating like this. SO it is a side affect! I can live with that for the time being! Thanks again!
Unread 07-07-2008, 04:37 AM   #16
angelout

You definitely dont need any old boyfrined around when this stuff is going on, unless he wants to stick to you literally. In retrospect I can laugh, but it can be a very very upsetting problem and you feel way out of control of your body, never a great feeling. My sweats are beter, way better, my dose is around 3 mg, BUT i still think i sweat too much compared to other people and i never, like never sweat before. I think it messes with that thermostat in the brain, IMHO.
Unread 07-07-2008, 11:44 PM   #17
lifesgorges

Oh Boy, did I stumble on the right topic for me this month! I'd endured the cold sweats from years of self induced withdrawals for months at a time, always convinced that I just needed whiter knuckles for longer periods of time I suppose ;0) They were miserable, and classic cold turkey kind of sweats, but would eventually go away. Either slowly as I spiraled into the depression quicksand of existence opiate free, which at times went on for almost a year...never got the sweats back. Or, they'd dry up within minutes if I finally caved and used again - anyway...we all know where those go.

I just began Suboxone tx over a month ago, and I've noticed a sort of non stop, slowly increasing sweating that just makes the term "flashes" laughable. It's just incessant and uncomfortable, makes sleeping an aerobic event by going from bed to couch to bed to changing clothes and sheets all night long. I've had some days/weeks where it borders ridiculous...I've had to bring three changes of clothes to work every day! No withdrawals sweats ever felt quite this way, they were severe and once sweating, would become shivering etc. This is more like a daily drip, no extremes the way they used to, but over time, I am growing more cranky.

I'd discussed this with my Dr this week, and he noted that a few studies did show opiate use long term were shown to have caused 50% reduction in male hormones. He did say though that the published, quantifiable studies that showed opiate - androgen reduction were all done on methadone patients, and none he was aware of have yet quantified the same for suboxone/subutex use. He was interested in my description since he's been hearing it from other patients, and I'm off to the lab for some blood work myself to check on hormone levels. We discussed the possibility that even if a woman were possibly circling the perimenopause phase, any opiate could potentiate or exacerbate the effects of hormones being rather drastically more depleted than nature alone.

Interestingly, I changed from suboxone to subutex today for a two week trial at the same dose (4 mg BID) due to the depression and insomnia that seemed to come right back after I began suboxone last month. The 1/2 tab he gave me in the office while I wait for my pharmacy to order the subutex has me feeling ever so slightly dizzy which I've never felt before (very mild), but the lack of sweating has been amazing all day! I know it shouldn't make a difference in the sweating, but it sure has. Today is the first day I've not been "glistening" for almost two weeks straight, go figure. Now, if I also get a night's sleep tonight....watch out world! LOL
lifesgorges is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2008, 04:24 AM   #18
angelout

Lifesgorges, hope you atart feeling better, please post back your lab findings. I would like to see the conclusion of the matter come together a bit more on these threads for the benefit of others. My Sub Doc puts male patients on hormone thearpy, jut an fyi, wonder if your doc woll do that for you, or if you need it. Dont want to burst your bubble, but I am on subutex not suboxone and still have the sweats, however, the more sub, the more sweats. I hear you though, before I got back on HRT, it literally felt like the sun was setting on my skin, searing. I know thats not any menopause /issue, because if it were, there wouldnt be any old ladies around, lol. I mean it was disturbing like what you said, had to change clothes all day, it was a constant issue that caused me almost as most misery as my original condition. Thank God I have a balance now that gives me a few hours of relief.
Unread 07-13-2009, 06:52 AM   #19
comingbacktolife

Default Sweating from Suboxone

Hello. Actually, sweating is one of the only common, or most talked about side effects(?) I have never experienced from Suboxone. My body does, however, become extremely warm, especially at night. I don't notice it at all, but my significant other will get in bed and say I my body is like an inferno. I don't sweat throughout the night, nor wake in a sweat, so I really don't know, especially because I don't feel overheated in any way. In fact, I am usually colder than everyone around me, especially my hands and feet, but I attribute that to my BP issues. Anyone relate?
Now, when I was on Methadone maintenance, all I did was sweat. Literally. I would go goet my dose, come home, lay down, and sweat puddles. I mean I would sweat all day, and all night, and it wasn't because of the room temperature or anything. That's a bit weird to me, that I did sweat so heavily from Methadone, but not from Suboxone.
I take my first dose of 8mg as soon as I wake up. I do notice that if I am outside working, or in extreme heat, like directly in the sun, I sweat a lot, which is normal, but I feel like the more I sweat, my Sub is leaving me faster than it normally would.
comingbacktolife is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2009, 07:33 AM   #20
NancyB
Administrator

Hi comingbacktolife, to ease your mind, sweating will not cause Suboxone to leave your system faster.

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2009, 09:08 AM   #21
comingbacktolife

Default Thanks

Nancy,
Thank you for that answer. I just thought it would, mostly because it seems when I am physically working hard, and sweating excessively, I end up feeling like I need to take my second dose earlier than usual. Thanks again for that information.
comingbacktolife is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2009, 09:58 PM   #22
Suboxone7years

I was on Suboxone for about 7 years and one thing I had all the time was sweating! Even in the winter I had to have a fan on me at all times!!! Did anyone ever crave sweets when taking suboxone? I never use to eat sweets and boy oh boy...I would go and buy a bag of snickers and literally eat the entire bag, sometimes I would fall asleep with one in my mouth! LOL..silly hu? But I did ask my DR if sweating was a side effect and he said yes, but I was sweating ALL DAY ALL NIGHT!!!! Once I stopped the suboxone I started to sweat only under my arms and my hands. Im thinking this is a under lying problem I have that is coming to the surface now. Because on the suboxone I would sweat everywhere!!!! RRRRRRRR
Unread 07-14-2009, 10:51 PM   #23
maillady

Yes YESSSSSSSSSSSSS I too ATE SNICKERS NITE AND DAY.. I KID U NOT...USUALLY WOULD HAVE CHOSEN A SNACK WITH LESS CHOCOLATE AND NUTS AND CARAMEL..BUT NO....NOW IT HAD TO BE THE TOTAL AND ULTIMATE CHOCOLATE SWEET SWEET SWEET BAR...IT HAD TO BE THE ULTIMATE HEAVY TREAT...TOTALLY LOVED SNICKERS BARS.. BOUGHT THE BIG KING SIZE BAR AND ATE 2 OF THEM ALONG WITH 2 NUTTY BUDDY ICE CREAM BARS..I WOULD GO FOR WEEKS AND NOT EAT FOOD JUST EAT THE SWEETS ALL DAY AND EVENING..AND YES ALSO SWEATED..FANS AND AIR CONDITIONING AND SWEATED TERRIBLY..I GAINED WEIGHT FROM ALL THE SUGARY MEALS...HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
maillady is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2009, 10:55 PM   #24
Suboxone7years

Maillady, you got me laughing so hard right now!! LOL that is SOOOOOO TRUE!!! I also gained about 45 pounds! Oh my god, isnt that weird! Are you sill on suboxone yourself?
Unread 07-14-2009, 11:25 PM   #25
vhappy

YES, YES, YES....SWEETS....SWEETS....SWEETS I am afraid to even look at the scale, I figured one thing at a time. At first I lost weight for about a month and then it hit...funny thing I can't fit any of the clothes I use to wear, but guess what? at least I have extra money to buy new clothes!
Vhappy
I crave/eat frozen snickers all the time. I never used to eat those.
vhappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2009, 07:37 AM   #26
neisy58

oh yes!!!!
i ate a box of whoppers yesterday and had one heck of a sugar buzz,i never ate those even as a child.
my fav is snickers or milky way...oh and mounds bars,ok the list can go on..lol
just think,it's healthier than our doc,so whoppers it will be for me.
have a good one,
denise
neisy58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2009, 05:30 PM   #27
Suboxone7years

It is so nice to hear that I am NOT the only one who craved sweets and had the sweating. DOnt take it the wrong way, I dont wish sweating or weight gain for anyone, it was awful! The ones who replied back saying they are cxraving sweets are you still on SUBOXONE and if so what MG? Just wondering
Unread 07-15-2009, 06:17 PM   #28
neisy58

hi sub 7 yrs,
i have been on 8 mg of sub,a day.
i take 4 mgs in morn and 4 mgs in the aft.
it's easier for me to do it that way due to only being 1 month,but soon i will be just doing the 8 mgs once a day,i understand the reasons for doing it one time a day and will be trying that once i feel comfortable enough to do it.
the dr isn't rushing me and that's one thing that would mess up my recovery,i can't be rushed.
i have been eating the carmel rice cakes with a big glass of orange(rite aid brand) metamucil ,you get the sugar and fiber too.
good luck,
denise
neisy58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2009, 09:33 PM   #29
toboat777

Oh My Gosh

Do we like to eat sweats i personally have always loved sweats since i have not drank alcohol in many years it stems from that but with sub i can down a half bag of Hershey kisses in one 2 hour chat session fortunately i am an active person and do not have a weight issue but we must watch are sugar as it can lead to health problems as well (JUST CANT WIN )

Sweating is also the norm for me and again due to were i live and the type of work i do i sweat any way i look at it as healthy get all of the toxins out of me on a daily bases so i suppose that would be one benefit to sweating. ( SWEATS &&&&&&&& SWEATING GOT A LOVE IT )

Tony
toboat777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2009, 04:11 PM   #30
janie

Hi Sub 7 yrs...

I have my own secret "stashes' of sweets hidden all around the house!! My God, I'll be watching a movie w/ my son. I'll tell him 'I'll be right back.' I come back all right...with Hershey bars...Tasty-Kakes....Ferero Rocher (dark chocolate ones...OMG!!)...and tons more!! My kid is like..'Ok mom!! where the heck did all that come from?' I cannot help it!! And the sweats? I sleep in shorts and a tank, or a short nightie...somethin light-weight. I also have a fan on high pointing directly at me AND the air conditioner in the same room on high as well. If I don't I'm tossin n turnin sweating..and next thing I know, it's 3 or 4am and I'm in the shower cause I'm so damn hot!! Glad to know I'm not the only one who experiences all of this!!
janie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2009, 02:23 AM   #31
Suboxone7years

Janie: you got a good stash of treats! Im coming over to your house! LOL...That is so weird about the sweating, I member when I first started taking suboxone I asked my DR if that was a side effect and back then in 2003 she told me no, so I thought it was just me? I know find out in 2009 that it IS a side effect, what a weird one to have. I was just like you with the fan and air on. Even in the winter I had the window wide open and the fan blasting on high pointed on my face! My boyfriend at the time thought I was nuts! He would be freezing I would be sweating. I found a doc that is going to work with me and get me back on a low dose 4mg or 2mg, I am SOOOOO happy. The DR will charge me $150 to see her then she wais she will see me once every month or 2 months. THANK GOD! Now I just have to save up a little money and get in to see her. GOOD NEWS for me. Have a good day everyone!
Unread 07-20-2009, 10:49 PM   #32
scottty

Smile

yes it comes an goes a few days at a time, probley the toxin build up. it is an opoid ,i also got it from oxy an was thinking toxins, oh ya its only at night but , i sweat like i pig , i change my bed sheets, more often , an my t shirt ; i can live with it though
scottty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2009, 01:32 AM   #33
mark123

Hello,
I couldn't help but notice all the posts about people sweating while on Suboxone or Subutex. I am upstairs on my computer with the air conditioning at 67 degrees and I am still sweating profusely. I am on 24mg of sub, 1 tablet of subutex 3 times a day. I have been on lower doses and still sweat. I have to have a fan at my desk even in winter. My co-workers noticed my dripping sweat and commented about it. It is so embarrassing and defintely not good for one's career.

I have tried anti-cholergenics which my Sub doctor prescribed, but they can have side effects like blurred vision and, (as if I needed more of it...constipation), so I don't use it often

The sweating seems to come on at certain times and defintely gets worse if I have ANY caffiene. Most of the time, it comes out of the blue and lasts 20 minutes and slowly disappears.

Anyway, we are having a heat wave with humidity here in the Los Angeles areas. It was about 100 degrees where I live today. That makes it worse, but I would even sweat in the dead of winter at near freezing tempatures.

I really think that it has something to do with mixing caffeine with Subutex. This seems to be one constant that as soon as I have my morning caffeine, within seconds I start sweating, so I am going to see if cutting down and then stopping the caffeine helps.

Thank you.

Mark
mark123 is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to mark123 For This Useful Post:
Thank You (07-22-2009)
Unread 07-22-2009, 01:35 AM   #34
mark123

I forgot to mention that I am addicted to Laffey Taffy. Pure corn syrup, just crap, but sometimes I just crave them so much I give in. It pisses me off at myself.

Mark
mark123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2009, 11:55 AM   #35
zaney

I have always had a sweet tooth... now I NEED to have a bag of (like a BIG bag) skittles in my cupboards, just like I used to NEED a BIG (lol, not usually but would have loved it I'm sure) bag of oxys. Much better addiction, and I am really glad I kept my dental insurance

As to not derail the thread too much... I occasionally get the night sweats and only a couple times has it been really bad. One time, on an unusually cool summer night, I was positively dripping... I've been on sub for a little less than a month, this side effect hasn't hit me too hard.
zaney is offline   Reply With Quote