Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 10-12-2015, 10:09 PM   #1
Wrl78

Default Mental anexity with tapering off

Hello, I'm new here and don't post a lot, but love the forum and really like ready through it. I have been trying to taper off. It just seems like when I do it's such a mental deal. It gets to where I can't think about anything else. Is this normal? Does everybody go through this? It's like mind mind keeps telling me something's missing!
Wrl78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2015, 07:57 AM   #2
NancyB
Administrator

Hi Wrl78, are you really ready to taper off? Can you tell us a little about your treatment - for how long have you been taking the medication and what dose are you at now and for how long. Also, when you've tapered, how did you do it? It almost sounds as if you are overthinking it and putting a lot of pressure on yourself to do it?

Have you seen this thread on the phases of treatment?
http://www.addictionsurvivors.org/vb...ad.php?t=23809

Sorry for all the questions.

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to NancyB For This Useful Post:
Thank You (10-13-2015)
Unread 10-13-2015, 11:03 PM   #3
Wrl78

I've been on suboxone for round about 2yrs. 2 8mg a day. To tapper I will cut my afternoon dose down by a quarter. Just by that I have no physical problems(aches or pains) it's just a mental deal to where I am missing something or maybe forgot something. Idk. Kinda sounds silly reading back through my post, but it's just a thing in the back of my mind like something is missing. It's such an imbedded part of my life. A crutch. Even though I hate the dependency part of it, I'm almost scared to be without it. If that makes since. Thanks for the reply!!

Last edited by Wrl78; 10-13-2015 at 11:05 PM.. Reason: Auto correct
Unread 10-16-2015, 07:29 AM   #4
NancyB
Administrator

Hi Wrl78, are you in any type of therapy? This site might be helpful, it's on CBT (Cognitive Behavioral Therapy) which teaches up to change our thought process. Since you're not having any physical problems when you taper, maybe something like would help you with tapering. Because, in my opinion, until you're not scared to be without it, it seems that every time you do taper, it will cause anxiety.
https://moodgym.anu.edu.au/welcome

With most people, as they go on in their treatment, they can reduce their dose without much issue regarding cravings and withdrawals. That's because the medication has a ceiling effect - which means that after a certain amount which is different for everyone - taking more than your body needs does nothing except maybe exacerbate any side effects. One thing you could do to see if it will help, is to tell yourself that you will reduce until you find your ceiling. That would be your lowest dose that doesn't cause cravings or withdrawals. The medication is still and would still be working, so you wouldn't have to worry about that.

Just thinking by taking a different approach and almost making it a challenge to yourself, that it could be helpful in tapering.

I hope that's of some help.

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
Unread 12-08-2015, 11:14 PM   #5
Wrl78

Nancy, sorry it took so long to reply! Everything you said makes perfect sense. I have been working on the mental side of things as well. I find that if I am occupied and it doesn't cross my mind, I'm fine. Once it hits me it's instant anxiety. Not bad but just in the back of my mind. I read in another post where someone listed steps to keep there mind off of it. I have tried some of those methods and they worked great.
To answer your question, I am in somewhat treatment. There is a church group that meets to discuss adiction. It's a small group of us that just sit and talk. Nothing formal. It's nice because it gives me the chance to hear other people's stories. I also enjoy reading through this forum. There is a ton of info here.
I just take it day to day. If I dwell on it I get down. I try to look at the positive. The holidays are great because I stay so busy. And I'm going home to see my family for Christmas!!! Thanks and merry Christmas!!
Unread 12-09-2015, 06:52 AM   #6
NancyB
Administrator

Hi Wrl78, that's great that you're finding ways that will help you distract yourself when you start over thinking. Staying busy is definitely a huge help for distraction. Your church group sounds helpful too, it's nice to have face-to-face support along with anonymous support.

Stay positive! Glad you're going home to see your family. Merry Christmas and a very happy, healthy new year!!

Nancy
Unread 03-30-2016, 08:04 AM   #7
NancyB
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrl78 View Post
I have never heard of kratom. I'm gonna do some research on it.
Hi Wrl78, I noticed you posted that in a couple of threads. Just be aware that people have ended up on buprenorphine trying to get off of kratom. So you might be better off doing a nice, slow taper off of bupe instead.

Just a thought.

Nancy