Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 05-21-2015, 08:40 PM   #1
Brii

Exclamation Debilitating migraines

When I first started taking bupe to get off of painkillers, I had medicaid, and my doctor prescribed me the suboxone 8mg bupe/2mg naloxone strips. Then I lost my insurance and was switched to the subutex, which only has the bupe 8mg and no naloxone in the tablets, because as everyone knows, it is so much cheaper than the strips. The first day, I'm OK with the switch. The second day, a dull headache, and by the third day I have such a debilitating migraine I can't get up out of bed, I can't eat, I can't drink anything, and after 12 hours the migraine subsides partially, only to have me so nauseous I that I had to go to the e.r from dehydration because I vomit everything, even water, and have to take zofran to be able to keep anything down.. The nausea gets a little better after about two weeks, but I felt no where near normal compared to when I was taking the strips . does anyone else have or had this problem? The only difference is that now there is no nalaxone in it, so can I be withdrawing from naloxone?
Brii is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2015, 10:11 PM   #2
NancyB
Administrator

Hi Brii, welcome. I'm sorry to hear of the headaches you're having. You wouldn't be withdrawing from naloxone. Naloxone has a very short halflife, so it's out of your system quickly, which means you don't build a physical dependence on it. And it's considered clinically insignificant because of the poor bioavailability sublingually and in the GI tract.

Have you checked your pupils in regular light? I wonder if what you're feeling is some withdrawals because of switching from the films to a pill - you may have a different absorption rate with the pills.

Are you totally uninsured now? If so, check with your doctor to see if s/he has an open slot with the Reckitt Benckiser free med program. Here's the link to it:
http://www.needymeds.org/drug_list.t...&name=Suboxone

Orexo, the manufacturers of Zubsolv - a bupe and naloxone tablet - also have a free med program:
http://www.needymeds.org/drug_list.t...e&name=zubsolv

Also check out this thread, there are different prescription cards that may help you with the medication cost. But if you could get on one of the free med programs, that would be fabulous.
http://www.addictionsurvivors.org/vb...ad.php?t=12915

I hope this is helpful.

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to NancyB For This Useful Post:
Thank You (05-21-2015)
Unread 05-21-2015, 10:49 PM   #3
Brii

Smile

Good evening Nancy, I now have some kind of state funded insurance through the market place that is not medicaid, so I do have some co pays, but I tried subutex for a couple months and the horrible migraines would come about once or twice per month, and that is two too many for me, I have two boys, one five and one 10 months, and I cant afford to be in bed all day. This month, I switched back to films and so far, no migraines, so you're definitely on to something with the amount being absorbed differently with film and tablets. It still is pretty pricey, but luckily my pharmacy let's me take out however many strips I can afford at a time. Thank you so much for your insight, I've read other threads you've responded on and you're nothing short of a god send. 💜 .

Thanks so much,
BRI 💕
Unread 05-22-2015, 08:30 AM   #4
NancyB
Administrator

Hi Brii, thank you for the compliment. I just try to support people, like so many others here do.

Have you seen the Suboxone savings card?
http://www.suboxone.com/treatment-pl...-card?cid=subx
It says "You are not eligible if your prescriptions are paid by any state or federally funded health insurance, including, but not limited to Medicare, Medicaid, Medigap, VA, DOD, TriCare, or where prohibited by law." But I think it would be worth it to bring to your pharmacist to see if you can use it. With the marketplace, I'm not sure if they would consider that exempt because everyone is forced to buy insurance and it wouldn't be fair. If it were me, I'd definitely print it out and see if it works.

If you do do that, then print out the Zubsolv and Bunavail cards too and see if eitherof those would work.
https://www.zubsolv.com/zubsolv/patient-savings/
https://webrebate.trialcard.com/coupon/bunavailportal/

You seem to have a great pharmacy, so I bet they wouldn't mind helping to see what would work with your insurance.

Zubsolv is a tablet and Bunavail is a film you put on the inside of your cheek. Both are bupenorphine and naloxone. Even though it's likely not the naloxone, both of those are brand-name meds. Some people here have had absorption problems when they switched from brand-name to generics. So hopefully you'd be able to switch to the brand name that could save you the most money and not notice any difference.

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2015, 02:04 PM   #5
Brii

Cool

I don't get either of those brands in my pharmacy, the only options I have is the brand "suboxone" (the blue and white package) or the generic subutex, which is the tiny pill with a score on one side, and an '8' on the other side. The suboxone brand has a $50/off coupon, which they applied to my balance, and my insurance insulted me by "covering it" and paying 82¢ 😂😡 luckily I had the funds this month to just go ahead and pay for it, but I'm still pretty peeved.
Unread 05-22-2015, 02:08 PM   #6
Sweet414

I get migraines too from them occasionally but seems after while my adjusted to them and it got better...best wishes.
Sweet414 is offline   Reply With Quote